PDA

View Full Version : MN Child Support and Marriage

JayB
November 9th 04, 02:58 PM
I currently pay child support and will be getting married in February to
someone other than my child's mother. Will my marriage affect my child
support payments?

Thanks,

--
JayB

Don
November 9th 04, 09:02 PM
Congratulations.

I can't answer for MN, but for Massachusetts (and I strongly suspect
they play similar games in this area) if you are current with CS, then
no, they don't typically consider the income of your new spouse.

If you fall behind however, then they conveniently argue that your
living costs are less, such as mortgage/rent, etc. and DO consider
increased available income at that point.

But in general, if you are current, then don't. Partly because they
are trying to tiptoe through extracting maxinum amounts from
non-custodial parents and don't want to stir up the hornet's nest of
tapping the new spouse for a child which is not hers.

When I remarried, my ex dragged me back to court. I thought it was
pretty funny that my lawyer didn't want to bring up the fact that I
had a wife but neither did the other side.

The whole thing is so absurd.

Good luck.

Don

"JayB" > wrote in message >...
> I currently pay child support and will be getting married in February to
> someone other than my child's mother. Will my marriage affect my child
> support payments?
>
> Thanks,

Billie
November 9th 04, 10:25 PM
That is why I will never marry my boyfriend who is in Massachusetts. His ex
wife refuses to work because as she says it will cut into her free time. She
is very well educated but would rather sit home and collect child support
and alimony. Should be interesting with one child turning 23 in three years
and the other one will eventually grow up. How she is going to make it on
just an alimony check, being even older than she is now. She sure is not
looking towards her future. I know for one thing I do not want to support
her.

"Don" > wrote in message
m...
> Congratulations.
>
> I can't answer for MN, but for Massachusetts (and I strongly suspect
> they play similar games in this area) if you are current with CS, then
> no, they don't typically consider the income of your new spouse.
>
> If you fall behind however, then they conveniently argue that your
> living costs are less, such as mortgage/rent, etc. and DO consider
> increased available income at that point.
>
> But in general, if you are current, then don't. Partly because they
> are trying to tiptoe through extracting maxinum amounts from
> non-custodial parents and don't want to stir up the hornet's nest of
> tapping the new spouse for a child which is not hers.
>
> When I remarried, my ex dragged me back to court. I thought it was
> pretty funny that my lawyer didn't want to bring up the fact that I
> had a wife but neither did the other side.
>
> The whole thing is so absurd.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Don
>
> "JayB" > wrote in message
> > I currently pay child support and will be getting married in February to
> > someone other than my child's mother. Will my marriage affect my child
> > support payments?
> >
> > Thanks,

The DaveŠ
November 9th 04, 10:33 PM
> Billie wrote:
> That is why I will never marry my boyfriend who is in Massachusetts.
> His ex wife refuses to work because as she says it will cut into her
> free time.

Ha! Work cuts into my free time, also, but I do it. Then again, I
don't have free money coming.

> She is very well educated but would rather sit home and
> collect child support and alimony. Should be interesting with one
> child turning 23 in three years and the other one will eventually
> grow up. How she is going to make it on just an alimony check, being
> even older than she is now. She sure is not looking towards her
> future. I know for one thing I do not want to support her.

She has no self-respect, either.

--
Intolerance... in the name of tolerance... is the ugliest and most
hypocritical form of intolerance.

Tracy
November 12th 04, 03:22 AM
Do you think it should? Before answering, what if you had custody and your
ex was remarrying? If your answer is 'no', then I suggest you try to work
out an agreement. My husband's ex-wife does not pay anything in child
support. She feels I should be financially responsible for the welfare of
the kids we have custody of. Is this right or fair?

Tracy
~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/

"JayB" > wrote in message
> I currently pay child support and will be getting married in February to
> someone other than my child's mother. Will my marriage affect my child
> support payments?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> JayB

Chris
November 12th 04, 07:18 AM
"Billie" > wrote in message
> That is why I will never marry my boyfriend who is in Massachusetts. His
ex
> wife refuses to work because as she says it will cut into her free time.
She
> is very well educated but would rather sit home and collect child support
> and alimony. Should be interesting with one child turning 23 in three
years
> and the other one will eventually grow up. How she is going to make it on
> just an alimony check, being even older than she is now.

Perhaps she is investing the "child support" proceeds into a retirement
fund.

> She sure is not
> looking towards her future. I know for one thing I do not want to support
> her.
>

> "Don" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Congratulations.
> >
> > I can't answer for MN, but for Massachusetts (and I strongly suspect
> > they play similar games in this area) if you are current with CS, then
> > no, they don't typically consider the income of your new spouse.
> >
> > If you fall behind however, then they conveniently argue that your
> > living costs are less, such as mortgage/rent, etc. and DO consider
> > increased available income at that point.
> >
> > But in general, if you are current, then don't. Partly because they
> > are trying to tiptoe through extracting maxinum amounts from
> > non-custodial parents and don't want to stir up the hornet's nest of
> > tapping the new spouse for a child which is not hers.
> >
> > When I remarried, my ex dragged me back to court. I thought it was
> > pretty funny that my lawyer didn't want to bring up the fact that I
> > had a wife but neither did the other side.
> >
> > The whole thing is so absurd.
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > Don
> >
> > "JayB" > wrote in message
> > > I currently pay child support and will be getting married in February
> > > someone other than my child's mother. Will my marriage affect my child
> > > support payments?
> > >
> > > Thanks,

GudGye11
November 15th 04, 03:27 PM
Why doesn't your hubby's ex pay any child support? Couldn't you take her to
court and make her pay at least SOMETHING? Or would there be custody issues
that make it easier just to let it slide?

Gud

In article <V%Vkd.497225$mD.93355@attbi_s02>, "Tracy"
> writes:

>Do you think it should? Before answering, what if you had custody and your
>ex was remarrying? If your answer is 'no', then I suggest you try to work
>out an agreement. My husband's ex-wife does not pay anything in child
>support. She feels I should be financially responsible for the welfare of
>the kids we have custody of. Is this right or fair?
>
>Tracy
>~~~~
>http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/

JayB
November 15th 04, 06:12 PM
I don't have custody. I'm the one paying child support. My ex isn't marrying
anyone, I am.

--
JayB

"Tracy" > wrote in message
> Do you think it should? Before answering, what if you had custody and
> your
> ex was remarrying? If your answer is 'no', then I suggest you try to work
> out an agreement. My husband's ex-wife does not pay anything in child
> support. She feels I should be financially responsible for the welfare of
> the kids we have custody of. Is this right or fair?
>
> Tracy
> ~~~~
> http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
>
> "JayB" > wrote in message
>> I currently pay child support and will be getting married in February to
>> someone other than my child's mother. Will my marriage affect my child
>> support payments?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> JayB

Tracy
November 15th 04, 10:06 PM
"GudGye11" > wrote in message
> Why doesn't your hubby's ex pay any child support? Couldn't you take her
> court and make her pay at least SOMETHING? Or would there be custody
issues
> that make it easier just to let it slide?

Part of the divorce agreement involved her not paying any child support due
to her unemployed status. However a stipulation was put in agreement that
she was supposed to notify the child support enforcement once her status
changes. She never did. To make a long story short, back in January of
this year my husband filed for child support against her after months of her
promising to help with school clothes, etc. Instead of her helping with the
cost he was giving her money to purchase stuff for the kids. At the time
she was living with her now ex-boyfriend. His ex-wife was very upset with
him for going through the state to establish child support. She was ordered
to pay $161/month for two children. The oldest was 18 and living on his own
at the time. After her boyfriend and she broke up (this last summer) she
asked my husband if he would drop the child support order against her.
Financially it was a strain on her. She makes more than minimum wage with
full-time hours. My husband asked me for my opinion and I told him I see no
problems with it, but would like to see her take a more active roll in being
involved with the children. That roll should include picking them up and
bring them back at a more normal time. Keep in mind, she was not actively
involved in the kids' lives since their divorce and it showed in the
day-to-day relationships between her and the kids. He told her we will pay
her back for ever dime she pays in child support with the exception of two
months worth of CS to help with clothing costs. So she is being asked to
contribute $322 per year for clothing two children. She agreed, but still
grips about the cost - go figure. I think most NCPs in this group would be
very pleased with an agreement similar to that. She would rather pay for a
night at a hotel for her and her new married boyfriend then help with the
day-to-day cost of raising her own kids. She has told many in her familiy,
and my husband, that I should be financially responsible for them.

Tracy
~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/

Tracy
November 15th 04, 10:27 PM
I understand that, but if the situation was reversed what would you expect
to happen?

--
Tracy
~~~~

"JayB" > wrote in message
> I don't have custody. I'm the one paying child support. My ex isn't
marrying
> anyone, I am.
>
> --
> JayB
>
> "Tracy" > wrote in message
> > Do you think it should? Before answering, what if you had custody and
> > your
> > ex was remarrying? If your answer is 'no', then I suggest you try to
work
> > out an agreement. My husband's ex-wife does not pay anything in child
> > support. She feels I should be financially responsible for the welfare
of
> > the kids we have custody of. Is this right or fair?
> >
> > Tracy
> > ~~~~
> > http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
> >
> > "JayB" > wrote in message
> >> I currently pay child support and will be getting married in February
> >> someone other than my child's mother. Will my marriage affect my child
> >> support payments?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> --
> >> JayB

November 15th 04, 11:37 PM
Billie > wrote:
: That is why I will never marry my boyfriend who is in Massachusetts. His ex
: wife refuses to work because as she says it will cut into her free time. She
: is very well educated but would rather sit home and collect child support
: and alimony. Should be interesting with one child turning 23 in three years
: and the other one will eventually grow up. How she is going to make it on
: just an alimony check, being even older than she is now. She sure is not
: looking towards her future. I know for one thing I do not want to support
: her.

For this reason, it is my belief that *women* will get the Child Support
and alimony laws changed.

b.

JayB
November 17th 04, 04:58 PM
I would expect that my ex paid the same amount of child support before and
after marriage. The child is her's, not her new spouse's. The support is to
ensure that the child lives the lifestyle he/she would have lived had the
parents stayed together.

--
JayB

"Tracy" > wrote in message
>I understand that, but if the situation was reversed what would you expect
> to happen?
>
> --
> Tracy
> ~~~~
> http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
>
> "JayB" > wrote in message
>> I don't have custody. I'm the one paying child support. My ex isn't
> marrying
>> anyone, I am.
>>
>> --
>> JayB
>>
>> "Tracy" > wrote in message
>> > Do you think it should? Before answering, what if you had custody and
>> > your
>> > ex was remarrying? If your answer is 'no', then I suggest you try to
> work
>> > out an agreement. My husband's ex-wife does not pay anything in child
>> > support. She feels I should be financially responsible for the welfare
> of
>> > the kids we have custody of. Is this right or fair?
>> >
>> > Tracy
>> > ~~~~
>> > http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/

Werebat
December 29th 04, 02:31 AM
wrote:

> Billie > wrote:
> : That is why I will never marry my boyfriend who is in Massachusetts. His ex
> : wife refuses to work because as she says it will cut into her free time. She
> : is very well educated but would rather sit home and collect child support
> : and alimony. Should be interesting with one child turning 23 in three years
> : and the other one will eventually grow up. How she is going to make it on
> : just an alimony check, being even older than she is now. She sure is not
> : looking towards her future. I know for one thing I do not want to support
> : her.
>

> For this reason, it is my belief that *women* will get the Child Support
> and alimony laws changed.

Evil and corruption will always out, given time. Even slavery got
abolished in this country, and look at how many powerful people and
organizations had a vested interest in maintaining the status quo on
that one.

It's too late for us, but it isn't too late for our kids and grandkids.
They're worth fighting for.

- Ron ^*^