PDA

View Full Version : Re: Activities for Tactile Integration

Sue
August 4th 03, 07:30 PM
Hi Dorothy,

I got all the posts that you sent and is very helpful. I personally will use
this information. Thank you for posting these. :o)
--
Sue
mom to three girls

toto > wrote in message
> [...]
> whistles or kazoos, blowing bubbles through straws
> or wands, drinking through straws or sports bottles,
> tasting new foods, chewing on gum or rubber tubing
> can satisfy the child's need to use his mouth
>
> Hands-on-cooking
>
> Put cookie dough, bread dough or meatloaf in a
> shallow pan (not a high sided bowl) and let your
> child mix it up.
>
> Make playdough in a shallow pan and let her mix
> that too.
>
> Science activities
>
> Touching worms, egg yolks, bugs, plants, etc. provide
> another sensory experience. Catch fireflies, plant
> seeds in your garden, collect acorns or chestnuts or
> seashells.
>
> Handling pets
>
> Let your child stroke a kitten, brush the dog, cradle a
> rabbit. Go to a petting zoo and let him pet the animals
>
> Box Play
>
> Collect boxes of different sizes and let him make a
> city, an obstacle course or whatever his imagination
> says they can be. Big boxes make a house, boat
> or car to play in. Smaller boxes can be nested or
> built into towers and they won't hurt him if they tumble
> over on him because they are not heavy. You can also
> let him draw on them with markers or paint them to
> make them into something he likes
>
> Swaddling
>
> Roll the child up in a blanket or carpet. A child with
> sensory issues may do this himself, but it is a special
> treat if a trusted adult does it to him. This provides
> deep touch and pressure fhat these children really
> crave
>
> People Sandwich
>
> Have the child pretend to be *salami* or *cheese*.
> He can lie face down on a gym mat or large pillow
> (the bread) with his head extended beyond the
> edge. With a spreader (a sponge, pot scrubber,
> basting or vegetable brush, paintbrush or washcloth)
> smear his arms and legs and torso with pretend
> mustard, mayonaise, relish, ketchup, etc. Use firm
> downward strokes. Cover the child from neck to toe
> with another piece of bread (pillow or fold the mat
> over), Now press firmly but gently up and down to
> squish out the excess mustard so the child feels
> the deep soothing pressure. You *can* even roll
> or crawl across your child as the mat will distribute
> your weight.
>
> Back rubs
>
> Apply deep firm pressure to your child's back and
> limbs. Rub downward, the way your hair grows.
>
> Dress up
>
> Prepare a special carton of dress up clothes. Include
> hats. shoes, gloves, furry or feathery boas, silk scarves.
>
> Secret hideaway
>
> Supply towels, blankets, sheets, sleeping bags, down
> comforters, pillows, etc and make a tent or fort out of a
> table.
>

> --
> Dorothy
>
> There is no sound, no cry in all the world
> that can be heard unless someone listens ..

Chookie
August 5th 03, 03:02 PM
In article >,
toto > wrote:

> Several people have mentioned that they don't
> know how to cope with some issues of sensory
> integration in their children I think many of these
> activities can benefit all children, so I copied these
> from The Out of Sync Child to post here.

I have a question, people. DS loves sand play, water play, throwing snails,
and will happily get his hands messy with food... BUT he avoids playdough
(happily grabs real dough -- and eats it!) and painting (finger or brush, I
understand). I am trying to decide if I need to Do Anything (TM) about this.
He models with blocks and bricks of various kinds, so he does do 3D modelling
activities, and he does use other artistic media like crayons, chalk, pencils
and textas, and stickers too.

FWIW, I think playdough has a weird texture too. It doesn't handle properly
-- but then, I am used to bread dough.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

Tai
August 7th 03, 11:21 AM
toto wrote:

> I am glad that people like the activities. Most are good no matter
> what kind of child you have - you can take what your own child needs
> and likes and leave any that don't fit him, of course.

I'd like to add my thanks, too, Dorothy. I copied your activities posts and
have already tried out the "dark room and torchlight shapes" with DS2.5. He
had a ball. Actually, so did I!

Tai

toto
August 7th 03, 11:40 PM
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 20:21:55 +1000, "Tai" > wrote:

>toto wrote:
>

>> I am glad that people like the activities. Most are good no matter
>> what kind of child you have - you can take what your own child needs
>> and likes and leave any that don't fit him, of course.
>
>I'd like to add my thanks, too, Dorothy. I copied your activities posts and
>have already tried out the "dark room and torchlight shapes" with DS2.5. He
>had a ball. Actually, so did I!
>
>Tai

That's part of the point. Parents should have fun too. :)

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits