PDA

View Full Version : Alberta: Dead Beat MOM wont pay support. Please advise

KittyKat
December 2nd 04, 03:25 AM
Hi,

I recently got custody of my daughter and she is now living with me.
Yippee!!!!!

I contacted mom and asked that she start paying support. She abruptly hung
up on me. Yesterday she call and told that she and he new husband don't
have the means to make support payments.

The thing that kills me is that I paid support for years. Every time she
needed any extras I ALWAYS came to the plate with the additional funds. Now
the tables are turned and she tells me that she is Ill and can't work. She
has a mild form of epilepsy. What they don't know is in Canada now the step
father common-law or married are on the hook for support now as well for
their step-daughters. I guess single guys should beware about hooking up
with yummy mommys just incase the relationship fails!!

So here is my question/concern.

We signed papers back in 1992 when I was going to school for support of $150
per month. When I got out I voluntarily raised it to $350 per month and
picked up the tab for airline tickets since she lives in British Columbia
now.

I just found the following information out.
In 1997 the Alberta government came up with a grid for what earned vs. what
you should be paying for support payments and well I didn't quite pay
enough. Again my agreement was signed back in 1992 before this legislation
came into effect so I believe the courts uphold the original agreement. But
I'm concerned that they may try to get me to pay retro actively if the
courts find out my income. In Alberta they may ask me to supply financial
information even though I'm the one making the application for support.

So before I proceed I need to find this information out. Anyone have any
comments on this or similar experiences?