PDA

View Full Version : Re: Blopens on the dining room table

Barbecue Bob
August 4th 03, 08:10 PM
> On 4 Aug 2003 08:00:54 -0700, (sher) wrote:
>
> >Despite the claim that Blopens are washable, I found out the hard way
> >that while they do wash out of clothing and off of skin, they will
> >stain any wood they come in contact with. I now have a 12 inch stripe
> >of purple across my dining room table.

[...] I've tried everything in the house and have only
> >succeeded in removing the finish of the surrounding wood. I would
> >greatly appreciate any tips you have and so would my children because
> >right now, I'm so mad that I'm threatening to just throw the darn
> >things away.

I agree: throw those darn kids away!

As for the table, maybe a damp towel, left on the table an hour or so at
a time, would absorb some of the stain.
--
Barbecue Bob serving family-style roast bunny
at convenient restaurants

just me
August 4th 03, 10:27 PM
"sher" > wrote in message
m...
> Despite the claim that Blopens are washable, I found out the hard way
> that while they do wash out of clothing and off of skin, they will
> stain any wood they come in contact with. I now have a 12 inch stripe
> of purple across my dining room table. Their website is very
> unhelpful in telling you how to remove any stains. They just say to
> use a "commercial stain remover". Has anyone found one that works? I
> would assume that something that works on permanent markers would have
> the same affect. I've tried everything in the house and have only
> succeeded in removing the finish of the surrounding wood. I would
> greatly appreciate any tips you have and so would my children because
> right now, I'm so mad that I'm threatening to just throw the darn
> things away.

Have you tried Murphy's Oil Soap? I've used that to remove ball point ink
and permanent marker from walls and my stained wood [but not glossily
finished] bookshelf, but it did take patience, multiple applications and
much rubbing.

-Aula
--
to contact me do not use reply to function but send non snail mail to my
first name at cfl dot rr d o t c o m

---

Henry W. Moritz
August 5th 03, 01:48 AM
"Barbecue Bob" > wrote in message
> > On 4 Aug 2003 08:00:54 -0700, (sher) wrote:
> >
> > >Despite the claim that Blopens are washable, I found out the hard way
> > >that while they do wash out of clothing and off of skin, they will
> > >stain any wood they come in contact with. I now have a 12 inch stripe
> > >of purple across my dining room table.
>
> [...] I've tried everything in the house and have only
> > >succeeded in removing the finish of the surrounding wood. I would
> > >greatly appreciate any tips you have and so would my children because
> > >right now, I'm so mad that I'm threatening to just throw the darn
> > >things away.
> > >

> I agree: throw those darn kids away!
>
> As for the table, maybe a damp towel, left on the table an hour or so at
> a time, would absorb some of the stain.
> --

Nah, that'll only screw up the finish on the table even more. Try the
OrangeGlo.

Ame
August 5th 03, 06:25 PM
"Nan" > wrote in message
> On 4 Aug 2003 08:00:54 -0700, (sher) wrote:
>
> >Despite the claim that Blopens are washable, I found out the hard way
> >that while they do wash out of clothing and off of skin, they will
> >stain any wood they come in contact with. I now have a 12 inch stripe
> >of purple across my dining room table. Their website is very
> >unhelpful in telling you how to remove any stains. They just say to
> >use a "commercial stain remover". Has anyone found one that works? I
> >would assume that something that works on permanent markers would have
> >the same affect. I've tried everything in the house and have only
> >succeeded in removing the finish of the surrounding wood. I would
> >greatly appreciate any tips you have and so would my children because
> >right now, I'm so mad that I'm threatening to just throw the darn
> >things away.
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >~ Sher
>
> Hi Sher, I don't have any advice, but I'm crossposting this to
> alt.home.cleaning. There are some helpful folk there that may help
> :-)
>
> Nan

You *could* try Formby's Furiture cleaner (the green one).

But I say you're most likely looking at a fairly simple refinishing job.
Sand the top only with a palm sander and try to sand most of the purple
stain out. Then stain it the same color as the rest of the table, then three
coats of polyurethane with sandings in between and then give the blo-pens to
the children of someone you despise.

There's always tablecloths until you are ready to do this. It's really not
that tough to do the tops only of tables... you don't have to match the
finish exactly. Just closely. Go to a real paint store, though, to match
the stain not Lowe's or Home Depot... take a table leaf with you, if you
have any.

-Amy