PDA

View Full Version : 9 week old and the flu

JennP
January 1st 05, 02:24 PM
What are the chances that Jessica (9 weeks) can dodge this bullet? The flu
complete with vomiting and diarrhea is making it's course through my house.
Ds had it, dh has it now and I'm petrified that she's going to get it. Other
than quarantine sick ones and wash hands obsessively what can I do? Anyone
have experience with the flu and young infants? I'm breastfeeding so
hopefully that will help, but she's had two colds already so I know it's not
failproof.

JennP.

Ericka Kammerer
January 1st 05, 05:36 PM
JennP wrote:

> What are the chances that Jessica (9 weeks) can dodge this bullet? The flu
> complete with vomiting and diarrhea is making it's course through my house.
> Ds had it, dh has it now and I'm petrified that she's going to get it. Other
> than quarantine sick ones and wash hands obsessively what can I do? Anyone
> have experience with the flu and young infants? I'm breastfeeding so
> hopefully that will help, but she's had two colds already so I know it's not
> failproof.

Is it really the flu, or is it something like norovirus
(which seems to be going around a lot of areas)? It's been bad
around here--we had it last year (when Genevieve was about
7 months old) and are in the midst of another round now. Washing
hands helps, as does disinfecting whatever you can get to as
soon as possible. It's extremely contagious (including for
2 days to 2 weeks after symptoms cease). Breastfeeding didn't
prevent G. from getting it last year. She spent a night
throwing up every few hours. I nursed her, but it did come
right back up. Fortunately, the vomiting was short-lived
enough that she didn't get dehydrated. Watch the dehydration
carefully in a 9 week old.

Best wishes,
Ericka

JennP
January 1st 05, 06:41 PM
"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message

> Is it really the flu, or is it something like norovirus
> (which seems to be going around a lot of areas)?

Just looked that up on the CDC site and it sure sounds like that is what
they have. I have to admit I was a little ignorant about the differences. I
always thought influenza was what I thought was norovirus.

It's been bad
> around here--we had it last year (when Genevieve was about
> 7 months old) and are in the midst of another round now. Washing
> hands helps, as does disinfecting whatever you can get to as
> soon as possible.

I've been wiping everything down. Phone, keyboard, appliance handles, faucet
handles, etc.

It's extremely contagious (including for
> 2 days to 2 weeks after symptoms cease). Breastfeeding didn't
> prevent G. from getting it last year. She spent a night
> throwing up every few hours. I nursed her, but it did come
> right back up. Fortunately, the vomiting was short-lived
> enough that she didn't get dehydrated. Watch the dehydration
> carefully in a 9 week old.

Thanks. It's been 48 hours since Matthew started with it. I've been pretty
vigilant and hope that Jess and I can avoid it.

JennP.

Ericka Kammerer
January 1st 05, 07:27 PM
JennP wrote:
> "Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
>

>>Is it really the flu, or is it something like norovirus
>>(which seems to be going around a lot of areas)?
>

> Just looked that up on the CDC site and it sure sounds like that is what
> they have. I have to admit I was a little ignorant about the differences. I
> always thought influenza was what I thought was norovirus.

Nope, and be grateful! Norovirus sucks, but influenza
is waaaaaaay worse ;-)

> Thanks. It's been 48 hours since Matthew started with it. I've been pretty
> vigilant and hope that Jess and I can avoid it.

Good luck! I'm fighting the good fight. I can tell
it's trying to get me, but so far I haven't succumbed ;-)

Take care,
Ericka