PDA

View Full Version : Anaelgesia for Circ's

Jo
January 6th 05, 01:58 AM
Found this article on Medscape this morning:

Pain Management for Newborn Circumcision
Posted 12/30/2004

Ivy S. Razmus; Madelyn E. Dalton; David Wilson
Abstract and Introduction

Abstract

Purpose: To describe current newborn circumcision pain interventions and
to identify which forms of analgesia were most effective.

Method: Each male newborn was assessed for pain during the circumcision
procedure and at 15-minute intervals after the procedure using the FLACC
pain scale. The type and combination of analgesia was also recorded on
the pain assessment record.

Results: Pain scores were highest for newborns receiving no analgesia
during circumcision. Newborns circumcised with the dorsal block and the
ring block in combination with the concentrated oral sucrose had the
lowest pain scores. The sucrose alone did not provide sufficient
analgesia; however, it did reduce the FLACC score somewhat when used in
conjunction with other analgesics/anesthesia.

Conclusion: Information obtained from this project facilitated a change
in policy wherein newborn circumcision is performed only with the use of
analgesia and not concentrated oral sucrose alone.

elizabeth emerald
January 6th 05, 02:26 AM
"Jo" > wrote in message
. ..
> Results: Pain scores were highest for newborns receiving no analgesia
> during circumcision.

no kidding.

sorry, i usually leave this topic alone, but..........
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

anyone4tea
January 6th 05, 03:35 AM
Great to see. I'll locate this article and use it :)

Anyone4tea

Todd Gastaldo
January 6th 05, 06:39 AM
"[T]here are health care workers who[se]..beliefs embrace the misconception
that newborns do not remember the pain of circumcision and do not feel the
pain (Wellington & Rieder, 1993)."
Razmus et al. Pediatr Nurs. 2004 Sep-Oct;30(5):414-7, 427.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/494502_2

Incredible.

Todd

PS My thanks to Jo for posting the abstract.