PDA

View Full Version : Not hungry?

Beach Mum
January 9th 05, 02:54 AM
So now I've started worrying about silly things. For example (and the point
of this posting) I'm just not very hungry right now. I'm sure it's that the
baby is sitting on my stomach (and my lungs and all other internal organs)
so there's just not that much room in there. However, I worry that I'm not
getting enough nutrition since I've been eating virtually nothing for either
lunch or dinner most days (i.e. I just eat two meals plus a small snack
mid-morning). I'd love to hear that others have also had this and that
everything was fine. I'm still gaining weight, but of course I'm worrying.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Plissken
January 9th 05, 03:45 AM
Beach Mum > wrote in message
> So now I've started worrying about silly things. For example (and the
point
> of this posting) I'm just not very hungry right now. I'm sure it's that
the
> baby is sitting on my stomach (and my lungs and all other internal organs)
> so there's just not that much room in there. However, I worry that I'm not
> getting enough nutrition since I've been eating virtually nothing for
either
> lunch or dinner most days (i.e. I just eat two meals plus a small snack
> mid-morning). I'd love to hear that others have also had this and that
> everything was fine. I'm still gaining weight, but of course I'm worrying.

I was like this throughout my first pregnancy. I didn't have an appetite for
anything. I made sure I kept taking my vitamins (which I am TERRIBLE at this
pregnancy!) and made sure I ate what I could. Even when I felt ravenous I
was only able to eat 1/2 at most of what I normally eat. I gained weight but
not much maybe 18 pounds total but my Dr. was never worried. As long as you
are gaining some and your belly is growing as it should be and you are
feeling movement I think you are doing just fine. With this pregnancy I'm
eating just about everything in site although for some reason I'm still not
gaining much (15 pounds at 32 weeks).

Kelly
January 9th 05, 03:53 AM
I am rarely *hungry* either. This baby makes it hard for me to eat much,
but I make sure I still do so I don't get that yukky empty feeling. Babies
are like leeches and get the nutrition they need to thrive. Remember, a lot
of women hardly eat during pregnancy due to being nauseated and have fine
sized healthy babies.

Warmly
Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Beach Mum" > wrote in message
> So now I've started worrying about silly things. For example (and the
> point of this posting) I'm just not very hungry right now. I'm sure it's
> that the baby is sitting on my stomach (and my lungs and all other
> internal organs) so there's just not that much room in there. However, I
> worry that I'm not getting enough nutrition since I've been eating
> virtually nothing for either lunch or dinner most days (i.e. I just eat
> two meals plus a small snack mid-morning). I'd love to hear that others
> have also had this and that everything was fine. I'm still gaining weight,
> but of course I'm worrying.
>
> --
> Melissa (in Los Angeles)
> Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03
> and one due early 3/05

Elle
January 10th 05, 08:14 PM
Beach Mum wrote:
> So now I've started worrying about silly things. For example (and the
point
> of this posting) I'm just not very hungry right now. I'm sure it's
that the
> baby is sitting on my stomach (and my lungs and all other internal
organs)
> so there's just not that much room in there. However, I worry that
I'm not
> getting enough nutrition since I've been eating virtually nothing for
either
> lunch or dinner most days (i.e. I just eat two meals plus a small
snack
> mid-morning). I'd love to hear that others have also had this and
that
> everything was fine. I'm still gaining weight, but of course I'm
worrying.

I haven't had much of an apetite during this whole pregnancy, which had
me worried too so I know where you're coming from, and now it seems
like I can either eat or breathe, but there's not enough room for both
:)

I don't know that everything is fine, but my doctor hasn't said
otherwise despite a very modest weight gain (maybe 10ish lbs at almost
35 weeks). I'm pretty sure your baby'll take what he needs, but one
thing I've heard is to look out for the post-partum period when you
might feel a bit depleted. You might want to take a really good vitamin
and watch your nutrition carefully then. Hopefully you'll get your
apetite back!

Regards
Elle
2/16/2005

Welches
January 10th 05, 08:43 PM
"Beach Mum" > wrote in message
> So now I've started worrying about silly things. For example (and the
> point of this posting) I'm just not very hungry right now. I'm sure it's
> that the baby is sitting on my stomach (and my lungs and all other
> internal organs) so there's just not that much room in there. However, I
> worry that I'm not getting enough nutrition since I've been eating
> virtually nothing for either lunch or dinner most days (i.e. I just eat
> two meals plus a small snack mid-morning). I'd love to hear that others
> have also had this and that everything was fine. I'm still gaining weight,
> but of course I'm worrying.
>
> --
> Melissa (in Los Angeles)
> Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03
> and one due early 3/05
My appetite has gone both times from about 5 weeks pregnant. I'm sick, which
doesn't help, but even without that I'm just not hungry throughout
pregnancy. No problems with baby weight either-#1 was 7lb 15 oz. Lost most
of the weight I gained when she came out. #2 was 6lb 14 oz, but a bit early.
With #2 I often wouldn't eat much before dinner, and then only a small meal.
I only ate with #1 because I felt I had to.
Debbie

Unadulterated Me
January 11th 05, 01:01 AM
Beach Mum wrote:

> However, I worry that I'm not
> getting enough nutrition since I've been eating virtually nothing for either
> lunch or dinner most days (i.e. I just eat two meals plus a small snack
> mid-morning). I'd love to hear that others have also had this and that
> everything was fine. I'm still gaining weight, but of course I'm worrying.

I'm going through this now myself, just not feeling hungry and I get to
about 6:00pm and wonder why I feel faint and nauseous.
What I'm doing is forcing myself to eat light at around certain times. I
am so NOT a breakfast person so I'm making sure I have a protein shake
sometime before noon, usually around 10:00am. Then in the afternoon I'll
make sure I eat a small meal, the past two days it's been a poached egg
on a piece of poppy seed bread and small salad, because that's all I've
really felt like and it's covered my protein and carbs to get me through
until dinner time.
I'll make the family meal but I don't want to eat it, I find I'm really
thirsty around then so I'll make another protein shake or have some ice
water then have a small meal in the evening, a chicken breast, a baked
potato and some salad is usually all I can muster.
I think the key is sheduling yourself to eat, and eating small and
eating things you feel like, even if it's just some fruit, a shake and a
sweet biscuit or something.

Here's some recipes for the shakes I've been making if you want to try
them...

(I make mine in a blender, and I use frozen berries because it makes
the shake cooler, but you could use fresh and add ice)

Banana Smoothie
1 Banana
1/2 Cup orange juice
1/2 Cup fat-free, Hi calcium, Hi Protein milk
1tsp honey
1tsp vanilla essence

Banana and Raspberry Smoothie
1 Banana
Large handful of frozen Raspberries
1 Cup fat-free, Hi calcium, Hi Protein milk
1tsp honey

Banana and Milo Smoothie
1 Banana
2-3 Tbsp of Milo
1 Egg
1/4 Cup of Greek Yoghurt
1 Tbsp honey
1-2 Cups of fat-free, Hi calcium, Hi Protein milk depending on how thick
you like it
1 scoop of ice cream (optional)

Blueberry Dream
1 Cup frozen blueberries
2tsp honey
1C thick greek Yoghurt

Orange Shake
4 ice cubes
1 Cup of Orange juice
1/2 Cup skim milk powder (or 1 Cup of regular milk)
1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)

Kiwi Smoothie
2tsp fresh grated root ginger
2 Tbsp honey
1/2 C water
1 Kiwi fruit
1/2 Cup of lite Coconut Cream
1 Cup Apple Juice

Spirulina Cocktail
2-3 tsp of spirulina powder of 4-6 tablets
1 Banana
1 cup orange juice
Ice cubes

Andrea

Kelly
January 11th 05, 01:28 AM
Your daily diet is nearly *identical* to mine, Andrea.

I used to be a breakfast eater (only something small) but now can go awhile
before anything sounds good. Of course, today it was a fresh almond
croissant and an Americano ;)

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Unadulterated Me" > wrote in message
> [...]
> 1 Tbsp honey
> 1-2 Cups of fat-free, Hi calcium, Hi Protein milk depending on how thick
> you like it
> 1 scoop of ice cream (optional)
>
> Blueberry Dream
> 1 Cup frozen blueberries
> 2tsp honey
> 1C thick greek Yoghurt
>
> Orange Shake
> 4 ice cubes
> 1 Cup of Orange juice
> 1/2 Cup skim milk powder (or 1 Cup of regular milk)
> 1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
>
> Kiwi Smoothie
> 2tsp fresh grated root ginger
> 2 Tbsp honey
> 1/2 C water
> 1 Kiwi fruit
> 1/2 Cup of lite Coconut Cream
> 1 Cup Apple Juice
>
> Spirulina Cocktail
> 2-3 tsp of spirulina powder of 4-6 tablets

Chookie
January 11th 05, 09:17 AM
In article >,
Unadulterated Me > wrote:

> What I'm doing is forcing myself to eat light at around certain times. I
> am so NOT a breakfast person so I'm making sure I have a protein shake
> sometime before noon, usually around 10:00am. Then in the afternoon I'll
> make sure I eat a small meal, the past two days it's been a poached egg
> on a piece of poppy seed bread and small salad, because that's all I've
> really felt like and it's covered my protein and carbs to get me through
> until dinner time.
> I'll make the family meal but I don't want to eat it, I find I'm really
> thirsty around then so I'll make another protein shake or have some ice
> water then have a small meal in the evening, a chicken breast, a baked
> potato and some salad is usually all I can muster.

Perhaps you need something to drink a couple of hours before you prepare
dinner if you suddenly find yourself really thirsty?

Your meals sound very healthy to me, although some fruit probably ought to
make its way in somewhere.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet

Unadulterated Me
January 11th 05, 12:04 PM
Chookie wrote:

> Perhaps you need something to drink a couple of hours before you prepare
> dinner if you suddenly find yourself really thirsty?

Yeah I probably should try and drink more in the afternoon, I'm probably
underestimating the heat, although the weather here in NZ has been
pretty crappy for summer it's still warm and I'm probably loosing more
water through sweating than I though.

> Your meals sound very healthy to me, although some fruit probably ought to
> make its way in somewhere.

Well I probably have about 4 servings so I think that's enough, 2-3
portions in the shakes (usually a banana and then two cups of different
berries) then I'll also have a kiwifruit, apple or tangelo after dinner
so I think that will be fine...plus the OJ. Then I'm also having 3-4
vege servings so I think I'm covered in that department, what I think I
need is more protein so I've been trying to eat more eggs and changed to
high protein milk and added more spirulina into my diet.

Andrea

Unadulterated Me
January 11th 05, 12:09 PM
Kelly wrote:

> Your daily diet is nearly *identical* to mine, Andrea.
>
> I used to be a breakfast eater (only something small) but now can go awhile
> before anything sounds good. Of course, today it was a fresh almond
> croissant and an Americano ;)

I've never really been a breakfast eater, nor is my husband, he doesn't
usually eat until mid morning at smoko time, and that's probably when it
occurs tome I should probably eat something too....but theres not a lot
I feel like early in the day, so the Lhassis and protein shakes are
filling that gap until I feel like a meal around early afternoon.

Not sure what Americano is but almond croissants sound decadent, I wish
we could get those here...yumbo

Andrea

Kelly
January 12th 05, 06:57 AM
No, you don't want those almond croissants around ;) They are wicked
things. Imagine a fresh croissant-flaky, crispy, warm...with an almond like
center and toasted almonds on the outside. I am not a croissant eater, but
I sure like these. Usually I have one every few months (luckily the bakery
is across town!) It is near my favorite running trail, so last year my
friends and I would go for a nice long trail run and then pop in for an
almond croissant.

An Americano is espresso with hot water-so two shots espresso (decaf these
days) with hot water to make 12oz.

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Unadulterated Me" > wrote in message
> Kelly wrote:
>
>> Your daily diet is nearly *identical* to mine, Andrea.
>>
>> I used to be a breakfast eater (only something small) but now can go
>> awhile before anything sounds good. Of course, today it was a fresh
>> almond croissant and an Americano ;)
>
> I've never really been a breakfast eater, nor is my husband, he doesn't
> usually eat until mid morning at smoko time, and that's probably when it
> occurs tome I should probably eat something too....but theres not a lot I
> feel like early in the day, so the Lhassis and protein shakes are filling
> that gap until I feel like a meal around early afternoon.
>
> Not sure what Americano is but almond croissants sound decadent, I wish we
> could get those here...yumbo
>
> Andrea

Unadulterated Me
January 12th 05, 10:46 PM
Kelly wrote:

> No, you don't want those almond croissants around ;) They are wicked
> things. Imagine a fresh croissant-flaky, crispy, warm...with an almond like
> center and toasted almonds on the outside.

/drool
That sounds like a danish pastry we get here, same pastry, same centre,
just square shaped not crescent shaped.
Now I have a bakery craving for Danish pastries.

Andrea

Welches
January 13th 05, 11:26 AM
"Unadulterated Me" > wrote in message
> Kelly wrote:
>
>> No, you don't want those almond croissants around ;) They are wicked
>> things. Imagine a fresh croissant-flaky, crispy, warm...with an almond
>> like center and toasted almonds on the outside.
>

> /drool
> That sounds like a danish pastry we get here, same pastry, same centre,
> just square shaped not crescent shaped.
> Now I have a bakery craving for Danish pastries.
>
> Andrea
No it's not quite the same thing...
and I grew up knowing danish pastries as "vikings" When I go into the bakers
I always end up forgetting their name because they're called Danish pastries
round here. :-)
Debbie