PDA

View Full Version : ab exercises

Elana
January 11th 05, 09:31 PM
Hello,

I heard that strong abs help in avoiding post-partum flab and also help
during labor. My question is: can I start doing ab work at 6 weeks?
I used to have great abs about 6 months ago, but slacked tremendously
since then, and would like to get at least some of that back while I
can.

Thanks for your advice,
Elana

Unadulterated Me
January 11th 05, 09:47 PM
Elana wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I heard that strong abs help in avoiding post-partum flab and also help
> during labor. My question is: can I start doing ab work at 6 weeks?
> I used to have great abs about 6 months ago, but slacked tremendously
> since then, and would like to get at least some of that back while I
> can.
>
> Thanks for your advice,
> Elana

6 weeks pregnant or 6 weeks post partum?
You can do gentle abdominal exercises in pregnancy until you get to the
point you feel uncomfortable...and you will get to that point, so listen
to your body to dictate when to stop.
And as for post natal you can start the day you give birth if you're
really keen, but you may get little response back. That area takes a wee
while to settle, but physios give very gentle abdominal and back
strengthening exercises on the post natal ward so go for it.

On a personal note my abdominals are pretty weak after 10 pregnancies
but I really haven't had much trouble battling flab there, fat deposits
have very little to do with underlying muscle tone, it's more genetics
and diet that decide where and how much podge you store.
And I also haven't noted my weak abdominals effecting my labours any,
it's your uterus that does the work in labour, not your abdominals.

Andrea

Renee
January 11th 05, 10:00 PM
Elana wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I heard that strong abs help in avoiding post-partum flab and also
help
> during labor. My question is: can I start doing ab work at 6 weeks?
> I used to have great abs about 6 months ago, but slacked tremendously
> since then, and would like to get at least some of that back while I
> can.
>
> Thanks for your advice,
> Elana

I've been doing ab work because my back has been bothering me. The
physical therapist has me on my hands and knees and holding my stomach
in (and kindof rounding my back.) There are some other ones that
require me to be on my back, but I'm not sure if it's safe for other
pregnant women to do.

Renee

Anne Rogers
January 12th 05, 01:04 AM
> I heard that strong abs help in avoiding post-partum flab and also help
> during labor. My question is: can I start doing ab work at 6 weeks?
> I used to have great abs about 6 months ago, but slacked tremendously
> since then, and would like to get at least some of that back while I
> can.

hmm, dunno, genetically I'm pear not and apple, so I don't carry weight
there, I had a gym assessment at 10 weeks and I was still doing all my ab
exercises, in my assessment I could do 60 sit ups in a minute, the
instructor told me to do no more ab exercises til I had the baby, not quite
sure of the logic of that, but having moved away from the gym I'm no longer
exercising in the same way (I just go for long walks and carry groceries
now).

If I were you I would do some gentle exercise, as part of a well rounded
program, fairly much everything helps, having strong buttocks can reduce hip
pain and help positioning in labour, so just doing abs if you are going to
do exercises is a little short sighted.

Cheers

Anne