PDA

View Full Version : Weight gain

anyone4tea
January 12th 05, 12:40 AM
Hello everyone!

Ok, I'm at 9 weeks today and I have so far put on 6 pounds (shock
horror!!!!).

Should I be worried?

I am hoping very much that when the nausea wears off I'll be alter my
eating habits a little to eat less. Having managed to stop throwing up
(I can keep it down now), I seem to be doing much better.

I have to say, the size of me "up top", I wouldn't be surprised if I'd
put on at least a couple of pounds there. 34B to 36D and growing is a
new concept.

Anyone4tea

Dagny
January 12th 05, 12:48 AM
"anyone4tea" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello everyone!
>
> Ok, I'm at 9 weeks today and I have so far put on 6 pounds (shock
> horror!!!!).
>
> Should I be worried?
>
> I am hoping very much that when the nausea wears off I'll be alter my
> eating habits a little to eat less. Having managed to stop throwing up
> (I can keep it down now), I seem to be doing much better.
>
> I have to say, the size of me "up top", I wouldn't be surprised if I'd
> put on at least a couple of pounds there. 34B to 36D and growing is a
> new concept.
>
> Anyone4tea

Nope, sounds good to me. Not sure why there would be anything to worry
about ... it's hormones/water, vast majority.

-- Dagny

Anne Rogers
January 12th 05, 12:59 AM
> Ok, I'm at 9 weeks today and I have so far put on 6 pounds (shock
> horror!!!!).
>
> Should I be worried?

it's normal and it's a good thing, early weight gain has good outcomes for
many different things that can go wrong, gaining weight is the last thing to
worry about, particularly at this stage when you are so sick, later on if
you are eating junk food and gaining, then that would be the time to take a
look at things!

Good Luck

Anne
(still no weight gain, 18 weeks)

Melania
January 12th 05, 01:55 AM
Pregnancy #1 I gained 45 lbs. Over 10 of that was in the first
trimester, and 5 of *that* was in about the first three weeks. I just
retained water like I had major PMS. I gained the weight veerry evenly
all over, felt strong and healthy, and lost 20 lbs in the first week
after giving birth. Blood pressure was great all the way through, no
edema, and had a healthy 7 lb 13 oz baby. Also had enough fat stores to
supply him with lots of rich breastmilk!

This time around, I started out 8 lbs heavier than when I got pregnant
the first time (still healthy BMI). I had only gained 7 lbs at my 19 wk
appt, and I imagine that will have gone up by rather a lot when I get
to my next appt, at around 23 weeks. I'm not worried about how much I
gain, as long as I am getting reasonable exercise - how can I not with
a 2 year old - and eating healthy food.

Once, the nurse at my dr's office asked my weight and I moaned, "175,"
to which she responded: "Good. We need you big and strong to push that
baby out." Whether or not she was just saying it to make me feel
better, I did feel very strong and fit!

So, don't worry!!
Melania

NotMyRealName
January 12th 05, 03:49 AM
"anyone4tea" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello everyone!
>
> Ok, I'm at 9 weeks today and I have so far put on 6 pounds (shock
> horror!!!!).
>
> Should I be worried?

Nah, I wouldn't worry about that. With both pregnancies, I've gained about
4 pounds within the first couple of weeks after getting the positive hpt.
It's mostly water and hormonally-related, though both times I've developed a
big appetite right after finding out I was pregnant. I suppose part of that
is some preservation mechanism or something; I go nuts eating really
healthily for those first few weeks, and eventually it slacks off a bit. :)
But my weight gain this pregnancy has been very sporadic -- several spurts
and several lower-gain periods, as opposed to the first time where it was
more linear. (And I've gained more this time too overall.)

--
-Sara:)
Mommy to DD, 2 3/4

CY
January 12th 05, 06:47 AM
That's about where I am and I'm kind of freaking out too. I've gained about
10 lbs so far and I'm at 17w 3d. My doc isn't too concerned (yet! LOL) but
I'd like to not gain too much. I gained 35lbs with DD and lost about 25 of
it in the first couple of weeks after giving birth. I don't think 6lbs is
anything to get too worked up about right now, so relax! Like the others
said (and it's reassuring to me too!) its probably mostly water...
"anyone4tea" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello everyone!
>
> Ok, I'm at 9 weeks today and I have so far put on 6 pounds (shock
> horror!!!!).
>
> Should I be worried?
>
> I am hoping very much that when the nausea wears off I'll be alter my
> eating habits a little to eat less. Having managed to stop throwing up
> (I can keep it down now), I seem to be doing much better.
>
> I have to say, the size of me "up top", I wouldn't be surprised if I'd
> put on at least a couple of pounds there. 34B to 36D and growing is a
> new concept.
>
> Anyone4tea

Kelly
January 12th 05, 07:16 AM
Nah, don't worry about it. Right now is a really awkward time in
pregnancy-one minute you are starving, the next it's nausea. Your body is
adjusting to extra fluid, etc. so hence the weight gain.

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"anyone4tea" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello everyone!
>
> Ok, I'm at 9 weeks today and I have so far put on 6 pounds (shock
> horror!!!!).
>
> Should I be worried?
>
> I am hoping very much that when the nausea wears off I'll be alter my
> eating habits a little to eat less. Having managed to stop throwing up
> (I can keep it down now), I seem to be doing much better.
>
> I have to say, the size of me "up top", I wouldn't be surprised if I'd
> put on at least a couple of pounds there. 34B to 36D and growing is a
> new concept.
>
> Anyone4tea

Ilse Witch
January 12th 05, 05:11 PM
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:40:13 -0800, anyone4tea wrote:

> Ok, I'm at 9 weeks today and I have so far put on 6 pounds (shock
> horror!!!!).
>
> Should I be worried?

Not really. Part of that gain is in the increase of body fluids which
comes with pregnancy. For one, your blood volume increases. I tend to hold
more water in general, which puts on some weight. I gained about 6lb in
the last couple of weeks, but the weight gain has stabilized somewhat.

Believe me, it will be hard to adjust your eating habits later on. The
baby will require more and more nutrition as it grows, and energy for
growing. Not eating is harder than you will ever believe. As long as you
eat healthy, there is no harm in snacking. I bring some extra fruit and
yoghurt into work. Nice and sour things to keep nausea down, and give me
that extra boost of energy, without adding to my fat intake.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Jo
January 12th 05, 10:21 PM
anyone4tea wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> Ok, I'm at 9 weeks today and I have so far put on 6 pounds (shock
> horror!!!!).
>
> Should I be worried?
>
> I am hoping very much that when the nausea wears off I'll be alter my
> eating habits a little to eat less. Having managed to stop throwing up
> (I can keep it down now), I seem to be doing much better.
>
> I have to say, the size of me "up top", I wouldn't be surprised if I'd
> put on at least a couple of pounds there. 34B to 36D and growing is a
> new concept.
>
> Anyone4tea

Your blood volume also increases by up to 50% in pregnancy, so it's
probably mostly that! Don't fret about it ;)

Jo (RM)

Paula Johnson
January 12th 05, 11:34 PM
On 11 Jan 2005 16:40:13 -0800, "anyone4tea" >
wrote:

>Hello everyone!
>
>Ok, I'm at 9 weeks today and I have so far put on 6 pounds (shock
>horror!!!!).
>
>Should I be worried?

I wouldn't be, simply because of the nausea factor. When one is forced
to graze almost constantly (and not necessarily the healthiest foods)
in order to keep *anything* down, weight gain is to be expected.

If it makes you feel any better, I had 8 weeks of terrible nausea and
vomiting, and now at 15w2d am weighing in at 18 lbs over my
pre-pregnancy weight. Oops.... :-)

Hang in there. Glad to hear the vomiting is easing up!

--
Paula
Mom to Olivia and Cassie (b. 4/8/03 @ 26 weeks)

Chookie
January 13th 05, 09:55 AM
In article . com>,
"anyone4tea" > wrote:

> Ok, I'm at 9 weeks today and I have so far put on 6 pounds (shock
> horror!!!!).
>
> Should I be worried?

No. I think we were just discussing weight gain in another thread -- try the
one entitled "Diet, pre-eclampsia".

> I am hoping very much that when the nausea wears off I'll be alter my
> eating habits a little to eat less. Having managed to stop throwing up
> (I can keep it down now), I seem to be doing much better.

I ws ravenous in first trimester too.

> I have to say, the size of me "up top", I wouldn't be surprised if I'd
> put on at least a couple of pounds there. 34B to 36D and growing is a
> new concept.

Yes, you can put on quite a bit up there!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet