PDA

View Full Version : Re: pls, Only answer if you've lost weight during pregnancy

Zoe Brown
January 13th 05, 06:16 PM
> I'm so annoyed with people saying that a woman can't lose weight and that
> they shouldn't reduce how they eat if they are pregnant.
>
> I am NOT looking for advice on not losing weight. Rather I am looking for
> honest answers from women that may have lost weight during pregnancy.
>
> I am 220 pounds and in a downright drag in every way about all of this
> excess weight I am carrying. I am a month pregnant after just having a
> baby 5 months ago. Because I am overweight I can hardly get around. I
> only want to sit around. My feet are constantly swollen. I have no
> energy. I'm depressed. I'm out of it. I have no hope for a happy
> pregnancy unless I can lose some of this weight.
>
> I never lost weight from the first and second pregnancy. IF there is a
> woman out here who has been successful at losing wieght during pregnancy I
> would apprecaite your reply which would be encourgaing. I'm tired of
> hearing from people who have either not been successful at losing weight
> or feel it necessary to drill in their opinion about how unhealthy it is
> to lose weight during pregnancy. Surely, it can't be healthy carry around
> all this weight during pregnancy. A reply based on this post requests
> would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My advise is not rocket science and I agree that you need to be healthy for
this baby.

Why don't you just try and switch to a healthy diet and see how it goes.
Don't restrict how much you eat just what you eat. Cereal for breakfast,
plenty of fish, eggs, chicken and at least 5 portions of fruit/veg every
day. Eat as much as you like but cut out all the crap. You will most
probably loose some weight and even if you don't you will be doing the best
you can for the baby and you will feel better about yourself. Don't forget
a 30 min walk each day.

I will do it with you - anybody else ?

Lucy
January 13th 05, 07:33 PM
"2big" > wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
> I am NOT looking for advice on not losing weight. Rather I am looking for
> honest answers from women that may have lost weight during pregnancy.

I haven't lost weight during pregnancy, but I'm going to respond anyway.

> I am 220 pounds and in a downright drag in every way about all of this
> excess weight I am carrying. I am a month pregnant after just having a
> baby 5 months ago. Because I am overweight I can hardly get around. I
> only want to sit around. My feet are constantly swollen. I have no
> energy. I'm depressed. I'm out of it. I have no hope for a happy
> pregnancy unless I can lose some of this weight.

Rather than dieting in the regular sense, maybe concentrate on eating well.
Cut out as many empty calories you can (like sugary things) and focus on
highly nutritious foods, like vegetables, cereals and so on. That way,
you're making sure you get plenty of nutrition for supplying the baby, but
you're not getting those extra calories that would just add to your body
fat.

Also, exercising would be a good idea. If you're having trouble getting
around, just some gentle walking would be a good start, or maybe swimming.
Something low-impact. Exercise would help burn off some of your fat without
depriving the baby of anything.

Trying to aggressively lose weight would really not be a good idea, but with
these things, you should be able to lose slowly, or at least maintain your
weight (and have some body fat weight replaced by baby/placenta weight).

Good luck, and congratulations on your pregnancy!

Lucy

Kazh
January 13th 05, 07:45 PM
"Zoe Brown" > wrote in message =

During this PG I was starving the first 8 weeks or so then all of a =
sudden DON'T feel hungry and don't feel like eating and the nausea =
started.

I gained 6 pounds at the beginning of the PG and have since lost that =
plus another 7lbs (23 weeks in). I am NOT dieting, just eating healthy =
(when nausea allows) and exercising more. I try and get out at least 3 =
times a week for a walk, use stairs not lifts and swim once a week.

I was like yourself 200 + at the start of this PG, let's see where I am =
at the end !!

ModernMiko
January 13th 05, 07:53 PM
"2big" > wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
> I'm so annoyed with people saying that a woman can't lose weight and that
> they shouldn't reduce how they eat if they are pregnant.
>
> I am NOT looking for advice on not losing weight. Rather I am looking for
> honest answers from women that may have lost weight during pregnancy.
>
> I am 220 pounds and in a downright drag in every way about all of this
> excess weight I am carrying. I am a month pregnant after just having a
> baby 5 months ago. Because I am overweight I can hardly get around. I
> only want to sit around. My feet are constantly swollen. I have no
> energy. I'm depressed. I'm out of it. I have no hope for a happy
> pregnancy unless I can lose some of this weight.
>
> I never lost weight from the first and second pregnancy. IF there is a
> woman out here who has been successful at losing wieght during pregnancy I
> would apprecaite your reply which would be encourgaing. I'm tired of
> hearing from people who have either not been successful at losing weight
> or feel it necessary to drill in their opinion about how unhealthy it is
> to lose weight during pregnancy. Surely, it can't be healthy carry around
> all this weight during pregnancy. A reply based on this post requests
> would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I lost 4 pounds during this last pregnancy (gained 12 the first one) and
have since lost another 30. I was over 200 (but not for long) so my OB was
not too concerned. The baby was big (9 lbs 11 oz) and seems to be healthy so
far. I did not diet and would not diet as I think that can constitute a risk
to your baby. It's healthier to weigh more than to "diet" in the truest
sense of the word IMO even if that's not what you want to hear. What I did
do was eat healthier and drink more water than I ever did while not
pregnant. I filled up on fruits, veggies, and complex carbs and water. At
the end of this pregnancy I had very little appetite and had to force myself
to eat so i chose fruits and veggies when I did eat. I didn't exercise per
se - just tried to walk when I could but also napped when I could. Just my
opinion...your mileage may vary...

--
JennL
DS 06/26/98

aka CatnipSlayer @ livin-it-up.net
--
Leader of the Cult of Worshippers of BiPolar Long-Haired Sexy Anime Guys
with Swords

Ilse Witch
January 13th 05, 08:04 PM
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:10:51 -0500, 2big wrote:

> I'm so annoyed with people saying that a woman can't lose weight and that
> they shouldn't reduce how they eat if they are pregnant.

Well, they do have a point, besides during pregnancy it is a lot harder to
lose weight. The whole reason why women have more bodyfat is because
pregnancies ask a lot of energy. As a consequence, dieting will not give
as good results (if any) during pregnancy. It is generally discouraged
because you may not get all the necessary nutrients. However, you can
definitely change *what* and *how* you eat during pregnancy.

> I am NOT looking for advice on not losing weight. Rather I am looking for
> honest answers from women that may have lost weight during pregnancy.

I lost ~30lb over the last 6 months, albeit non-pregnant, so I can at
least give you some general tips about healthy dieting.

First of all, you want to find an eating schedule that you can live with
for the rest of your life. This is not just something for the next couple
of months, to really lose weight, you have to change your lifestyle. What
helped me enormously is keeping a food diet. Write down everything you eat
and drink, down to the last scrap, how much calories (fat, carbs &
protein) was in it, and at what time you had it. Also write down physical
exercise you did, even basic housework.

After a week, add up the daily totals. With your current weight, you
should average at least 2000 cal per day for healthy weight loss when
you're not pregnant. For the pregnancy you can include an additional 200
cal per day. Exercises count as negative calories. If you exceed 2200 cal
a day, figure out what were the major factors in the excess and alter your
schedule for the next week. It helps if you vary your calorie intake day
by day, 2000 this day, 2400 the next, but never more than 200 cal above or
below your average.

If you keep doing this for 3-4 weeks, you will find a weekly scheme that
will help you eat healthy and, if lucky, shed a few pounds of excess
bodyfat. Take a well balanced prenatal vitamin to ensure you get all the
basic vitamins and minerals. Building up an exercise routine during
pregnancy is harder, but will help you lose bodyfat by building muscles.
Walking, yoga and swimming are excellent work-outs. Take it slow at first,
and stop when you feel any pain or dizzy.

HTH!

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Mamma Mia
January 13th 05, 09:15 PM
some of the diet companies like weight watches do tailor a diet for pregnant
women, and one way to look at it is that you get to eat more than a non
pregnant person, so it is easier to go on a diet than if you wernt' pg???

i followed the low glycemic index diet for my pg #2 and it was so much
better i cant tell you. I only put on a small amount of weight, much less
than the first pg.

good luck.

and you are being too down on yoruself with a nic like 2big - there are
other aspects to a person than her weight...

cheer up matey!

chris

"2big" > wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
> I'm so annoyed with people saying that a woman can't lose weight and that
> they shouldn't reduce how they eat if they are pregnant.
>
> I am NOT looking for advice on not losing weight. Rather I am looking for
> honest answers from women that may have lost weight during pregnancy.
>
> I am 220 pounds and in a downright drag in every way about all of this
> excess weight I am carrying. I am a month pregnant after just having a
> baby 5 months ago. Because I am overweight I can hardly get around. I
> only want to sit around. My feet are constantly swollen. I have no
> energy. I'm depressed. I'm out of it. I have no hope for a happy
> pregnancy unless I can lose some of this weight.
>
> I never lost weight from the first and second pregnancy. IF there is a
> woman out here who has been successful at losing wieght during pregnancy I
> would apprecaite your reply which would be encourgaing. I'm tired of
> hearing from people who have either not been successful at losing weight
> or feel it necessary to drill in their opinion about how unhealthy it is
> to lose weight during pregnancy. Surely, it can't be healthy carry around
> all this weight during pregnancy. A reply based on this post requests
> would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tracey
January 14th 05, 05:45 AM
"2big" > wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
> I'm so annoyed with people saying that a woman can't lose weight and that
> they shouldn't reduce how they eat if they are pregnant.

My doctor told me not to 'try' to lose weight while I was pregnant, but
rather "Try to eat as healthy and as sensible as possible". Its not a
matter of reducing how much you eat, but maximizing the nutritional value of
what you eat while you are pregnant. Eat lots of fruits and veggies, get
enough protein, iron and calcium, and take your prenatal vitamins. Do some
stretching exercises and walk to keep yourself as nimble and flexible as
possible to facilitate an easy delivery.

Don't stress about losing the weight now...just maximize eating as healthy
as possible for your babies sake. (But on the other hand, if you get as
sick as I was during my pregnancies, don't stress out that you are hurting
the baby because you puke).

Tracey in CT

Jenrose
January 14th 05, 06:15 AM
"2big" > wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
> I'm so annoyed with people saying that a woman can't lose weight and that
> they shouldn't reduce how they eat if they are pregnant.

Having just lost 9 pounds in 2 1/2 days at 32 weeks, I can't say I recommend
it.

And I started out this pregnancy heavier than you are and had gained quite a
lot, so I had it to lose--but if I thought I was weak and miserable before,
it isn't anything compared to the results of only having soup and water for
3 days while running a high fever and diarrhea.

Seriously... yes, it sucks and I commiserate on the whole pregnant-while-fat
issue. It *does* make it harder. But once you are pregnant, the closest I've
seen anyone manage to "deliberately" losing weight was deliberately
maintaining weight rather than gaining... and her child had learning
disabilities which we'll never know if they were connected to her mother's
poor nutritional choices. I have known people who lost weight during
pregnancy, but they didn't do it on purpose, and were eating mostly healthy
foods... and one of them ended up with a cesarean because her blood pressure
shot up at the end.

So if you lean toward a diet low in "bad" fats (hydrogenated and partially
hydrogenated fats primarily, but reducing saturated fats in favor of "good"
fats like those found in ocean fish and olive oil is also good) and high in
whole grain foods, fresh fruits and veggies, and lean protein--the weight
you will gain will be "necessary" weight.

And then, after the pg... taking more time between pregnancies will give you
a better chance of taking the weight off and keeping it off.

Jenrose