PDA

View Full Version : B&N: Birth emergency! (also: Dr. Bernstein went to Yale! also: Apology; also: Source for 'one third' please)

Todd Gastaldo
January 17th 05, 08:33 AM
B&N: BIRTH EMERGENCY!

Attn: Mary Ellen KEATING, Senior Vice President
Corporate Communications, Barnes & Noble, Inc.

Mary, B&N's Great Expectations [Jones and Jones 2004] is GREAT! Please
publish MORE books like that! Please also work to get other birth books
CORRECTED.

Pregnant women: OBs are closing birth canals up to 30% and it is easy to
allow your birth canal to open the "extra" up to 30% - talk to your OB
today - you shouldn't have to ask for the "extra" up to 30% - but sadly you
must...

DR. PETER BERNSTEIN WENT TO YALE!

Peter co-edited GREAT EXPECTATIONS (by Sandy and Marcie Jones. Barnes and
Noble 2004)

Peter might know Yale CNMwifery Prof. Helen Varney personally.

See Hold the Phone! below...

Yale CNMwifery Prof. Varney ignored my pleas years ago.

She STILL (2004) promotes closing the birth canal up to 30% and KEEPING the
birth canal closed when babies get stuck. See below.

Perhaps the time has come to finally END this bizarre obstetric/CNMwifery
practice?!

Why should women have to ASK for the "extra" up to 30%?!

NOTE: It's not just OBs and CNMwives: One woman on
usenet/misc.kids.pregnancy - Dagny - said her direct entry midwife denied
her the "extra" up to 30% as she remarked, "Been reading Todd Gastaldo?" -
or words to that effect.

American women are ROUTINELY denied the "extra" up to 30% as OBs pull on
baby skulls with hands, forceps and vacuums.

So bizarre.

Sandy Jones
Co-author
Great Expectations [Barnes & Noble 2004]

Sandy,

Arrggghhh...

I am embarrassed.

I wish I had driven to the bookstore and re-read that of which I was so
sure.

THANK YOU for going to the trouble of quoting your text.

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

I was wrong, wrong, wrong.

You do not - as I stated - just say "one third."

You say "AS MUCH AS one third"...

I was wrong - I apologize.

I am still though interested to know where you got your "one third" figure.

As I noted, Russell's top figure was 30%.

Todd

PS Further comments interspersed below.

"SandyofGreatExpectations" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Dr. Gastaldo: First, thank you so much for your feedback posted here
> about our new book, GREAT EXPECTATIONS: YOUR ALL-IN-ONE RESOURCE FOR
> PREGNANCY & CHILDBIRTH (www.bn.com -- search "pregnancy".) Marcie and I
> really welcome hearing from mothers, midwives, childbirth educators and
> experts such as you, and, in fact, we've used the input of hundreds of
> mothers and pregnancy & birth experts in writing our book; plus, it was
> been co-edited by an Obstetrician specializing in maternal-fetal
> medicine as well as a midwife -- both of whom also have master's
> degrees in public health.

Prominent obstetricians and and at least one prominent CNMwife promote
closing the birth canal up to 30%.

Obstetricians promote KEEPING the birth canal closed when babies get stuck.

See OB Lie #4 below.

> On page 259 of "Your Guide to Giving Birth" under the section headed
> "How long will my labor take?" we state: "During the last weeks of
> pregnancy, your hormones soften the connective tissues between your
> pelvic bones so they can stretch apart during birth. The lower rim of
> your pelvis will expand by as much as one-third for your baby's descent
> down and out. Positioning yourself in an upright or side-lying position
> will take pressure off your tailbone area and enhance the natural
> expansion process during birth."

Various obstetric texts define semisitting as an "upright" position - yet
semisitting denies massive amounts of pelvic outlet area. ("Massive" was the
word used in the medical literature in one lame attempt to cover-up the
bizarre obstetric behavior.)

It would be good if your text explicitly noted that semisitting denies
massive amounts of pelvic outlet area.

> On page 287 in that same section, in the box entitled :"The Benefits of
> an Upright Labor," we state: "Your pelvis has the capacity to expand up
> to one-third more, and an upright, squatting, or lunging position can
> help..." (but we add that most modernday mothers can't squat
> comfortably for very long.)

Actually, most modern day mothers (and fathers) CAN squat comfortably for
long periods.

It is only a minority of modern day mothers - those living in chair-dwelling
cultures like ours - who have problems squatting for prolonged periods.

See Two robberies: educators can stop them
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/chiro-list/message/3047

See also: The Great Squat Robbery and UCI's Harry B. Skinner, MD, PhD
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/chiro-list/message/3146

> You refer to a "semisitting" position as closing the birth canal. I
> know what sitting is and what a squatting position is, but I'm having
> trouble envisioning what "semisitting" looks like.

Semisitting is one of the most common delivery postures.

The back of the bed is raised so the mother's trunk is raised.

The mother is sitting squarely on her sacral tip - not letting it move back.

An obstetrician stated the biomechanics back in 1913:

"[M]oving backward of the tip of the sacrum...enlarges the
available space not merely directly in proportion to the distance backward,
but more nearly by the square of that distance." [Emmons, AB. A study of the
variations in the female pelvis, based on observations made on 217 specimens
of the
American Indian squaw. Biometrika 1913; 9:34-47.]

The following was added to Williams Obstetrics at my
request (though the authors left in their text - in the same paragraph (!)
the "dorsal widens" bald lie that first called my attention to their
text)...

"It should be noted...that the increase in the diameter of the
pelvic outlet occurs **only** if the sacrum is allowed to rotate
posteriorly, that is,
only if the sacrum is not forced anteriorly by the weight of the maternal
pelvis against the delivery table or bed." [Cunningham, MacDonald, Leveno,
Gant and Gilstrap, Williams Obstetrics Appleton-Lange 1993:285, **italics in
original]

Here is the reference for my 30% figure...

"[T]he outlet increases with moulding by approximately 20-30 per cent."
[Russell JGB. Moulding of the pelvic outlet. J Obstet Gynaec Brit Cwlth
1969;76:817-20. NOTE: In 1973, Ohlsen verified Russell's 20% figure on
Borell and Fernstrom's 1957 intrapartum x-rays. See:
http://home1.gte.net/gastaldo/part2ftc.html]

NOTE: JGB Russell demonstrated a MINOR (transverse) sacroiliac motion then
pretended his minor sacroiliac motion was more important that the MAJOR
(sagittal) sacral tip motion demonstrated radiographically by Borell and
Fernstrom. For details, see http://home1.gte.net/gastaldo/part2ftc.html.

Also noteworthy: Russell promoted placing women semisitting - even as he
reported the "20-30 per cent" figure - yet the authors of Williams
Obstetrics attributed to Russell the simple biomechanic fact (quoted
above)...

They should have quoted the original author of Williams Obstetrics who
DEMONSTRATED the
simple biomechanics clinically - way back in 1911!

Alternatively, they could have mentioned me : ) - since I was the one who
went to the trouble of pointing out they had their biomechanics wrong. (See
OB Lie #2 and #3 below)

Sandy, some babies are REALLY getting hammered!

Check out the following "head must rotate around a line joining the
ischial tuberosities" quote from the 21st (2001) edition of Williams
Obstetrics:

"In obstructed labor caused by a narrowing of the...pelvic
outlet, the prognosis for vaginal delivery often depends on the length of
the posterior sagittal diameter of the pelvic outlet (p. 56)...The posterior
triangle [of the pelvic outlet]...is limited at its apex by the tip of the
last sacral vertebra (not the coccyx) (p. 437)...With increasing narrowing
of the pubic arch, the occiput cannot emerge directly beneath the symphysis
pubis but is forced increasingly farther down...the ischiopubic rami. In
extreme cases, the head must rotate around a line joining the ischial
tuberosities [!] (p. 438)..."

Stated another way, if the mother has a narrow pubic arch, the baby's
head
doesn't go into the arch very
far - which greatly increases the influence of sacro-iliac motion.

In some women, the birth canal is likely closed by "one third" (or more!)...

I'm still interested in the source for your "one third" figure though.

Arrggghhh...

OBs are KEEPING birth canals closed the "extra" up to 30% when babies get
stuck...

OBs are keeping women semisitting or dorsal as they pull on babies' skulls
with hands, forceps and vacuums.

Check out ACOG's Shoulder Dystocia Drill! They say they are allowing the
birth canal to open maximally - which is an indirect admission that OBs
routinely close - but their method KEEPS the birth canal closed the "extra"
up to 30%.

With birth canals senselessly closed up to 30%...

Sometimes OBs pull so hard they rip spinal nerves out of tiny spinal cords.

Some babies die - some babies get paralyzed - most "only" have their spines
gruesomely wrenched.

ALL spinal manipulation is gruesome with the birth canal senselessly closed
up to 30%.
This is a spinal manipulation/chiropractic emergency.

Also, there is the matter of SURGICAL batteries...

OBs are slicing vaginas/abdomens en masse (episiotomy/c-section) -
surgically/fraudulently inferring they are doing/have done everything
possible to open the birth canal - even as they close the birth canal up to
30%.

No - allowing birth canals to open maximally won't prevent all episiotomies
and c-sections but that is no reason for OBs and CNMwives to keep closing
birth canals up to 30%.

Sandy, please tell your co-editor Peter S. Bernstein, MD, FACOG...

HOLD THE PHONE!

Peter probably knows Yale CNMwifery Prof. Helen Varney who ignored my pleas
and STILL writes (in 2004): "Midwives...encourage...semisitting"

Peter completed med school and his obstetric residency at Yale, as in,

Peter S. Bernstein, MD, MPH, FACOG
Peter S. Bernstein is Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics &
Gynecology and Women's Health in the Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine in
the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Women's Health at the Albert
Einstein College of Medicine and Montefiore Medical Center in New York City.
He also serves as the Director of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the
Department's ambulatory teaching site, Comprehensive Family Care Center, as
well as the Director of Maternal-Fetal Medicine for Montefiore Medical
Group, Montefiore's network of ambulatory offices.
After completing college and medical school at Yale University, Dr.
Bernstein did his residency at Yale-New Haven Hospital....
http://www.medscape.com/pages/public/bios/ed-womenshealth#Bernstein

> Would that be with a
> woman standing as she is supported under her underarms from the rear
> as she bends her knees during a contraction? Dr. Michel Odent, famous
> pioneer of waterbirth, found that to be a very productive and useful
> position during labor, but during the actual birth, most women
> naturally adopted a more squatting position.

Semisitting has been said to offer the benefits of squatting; where as
squatting allows the sacral tip to move back, semisitting does not.

> Also, we'd appreciate your explaining in more detail how the
> semisitting position causes a mother's birth canal to close.

If the mother is sitting on her sacrum it can't move back.

I published the simple biomechanics in the journal Birth. [Gastaldo TD.
Letter. Birth. 1992;19(4):230-1]

But the simple biomechanics were known long before that...see above.

THE FOUR OB LIES...

OB LIE #1. After MASSIVE change in the AP pelvic outlet diameter was
clinically demonstrated in 1911 and radiographically demonstrated in 1957,
the authors of Williams Obstetrics began erroneously claiming that pelvic
diamaters DON'T CHANGE at delivery.

OB LIE #2. After Ohlsen pointed out in 1973 that pelvic diameters DO
change - the authors of Williams Obstetrics began erroneously claiming that
their most frequent delivery position - dorsal - widens the outlet.

OB LIE #3. After I pointed out in 1992 that dorsal CLOSES - and so does
semisitting - the authors of Williams Obstetrics - put the correct
biomechanics in their 1993 edition - but kept in their text (in the same
paragraph!) - the dorsal widens bald lie that first called my attention to
their text...

OB LIE #4. OBs are actually KEEPING birth canals closed when babies get
stuck - and claiming they are doing everything to allow the birth canal open
maximally. (ACOG Shoulder Dystocia video - also forceps and vacuum births
are performed with the mother in lithotomy.)

See Make birth better: Dan Rather, before you leave CBS...

I noted some of the OB lies in an Open Letter to the FTC years ago...
http://home1.gte.net/gastaldo/part2ftc.html

> (And, I am
> I right in presuming that when you use the words "birth canal" that you
> are referring to the soft, stretchable tube down which the baby travels
> and not the mother's bony pelvis?)

I am referring to the bony pelvis.

> Thanks. Sandy Jones

Again Sandy, I apologize for suggesting that you didn't say UP TO "one
third" - you certainly did - and I thank you for quoting your text.

May I know the source for your "one third" figure?

Thanks,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS Sandy, women are having to ASK for the "extra" up to 30%!

Emergency!

I hope you'll immediately email Peter if you have his email (I couldn't find
it.)

I'll email your other co-editor - and a woman at Barnes & Noble...

Mary Ellen Keating, Senior Vice President
Corporate Communications, Barnes & Noble, Inc.
(212) 633-3323

Claire Westdahl, CNM, MPH, FACNM, Director of Nurse-Midwifery within the
Emory University School of Medicine.

Claire, will you ask your fellow CNMwife Helen Varney of Yale why she
ignored my pleas years ago?

CNMwifery Prof. Helen is STILL promoting closing the birth canal up to
30%/semisitting - not to mention KEEPING the birth canal closed (lithotomy)
when babies get stuck...

It is time to stop this grisly obstetric/CNMwifery tomfoolery.

Women should not have to ask for the "extra" up to 30% - and OBs should not
be keeping birth canals closed the "extra" up to 30% when they pull with
hands, forceps, vacuums.

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

This post will be archived for global acess in the Google usenet archive.
Search http://groups.google.com for "B&N: Birth emergency!"

carl jones
January 18th 05, 01:35 AM
">
> Peter might know Yale CNMwifery Prof. Helen Varney personally.
>

> See Hold the Phone! below...
>
> Yale CNMwifery Prof. Varney ignored my pleas years ago.

I am surprised Helen ignored your pleas. I know her and she seems very
woman-oriented.

Carl

Todd Gastaldo
January 18th 05, 03:33 AM
I indicated that Yale CNMwifery Prof. Helen Varney ignored my pleas years
ago and wrote "Midwives...encourage...semisitting" - and that Helen STILL
says the same thing in her 2004 edition....

Childbirth Educator Carl Jones replied:

> I am surprised Helen ignored your pleas. I know her and she seems very
> woman-oriented.

"Woman-oriented" quickly goes out the window when a whole profession of
CNMwives is aping MD-obstetricians, ignoring simple biomechanics and closing
birth canals up to 30%.

"Woman-oriented" quickly goes out the window when one's profession (and
one's OB supervisors) stand to lose millions in malpractice lawsuits.

"Woman-oriented" quickly goes out the window given that criminal negligence
prosecutions are possible.

In birth trauma cases, CNMwives and OBs have been telling juries:
"cephalopelvic disproportion" - "large baby" - "small pelvis"...

They can't now say, "We've been routinely closing the pelvis up to 30% and
routinely keeping birth canals closed when babies get stuck."

As med students and nurse-midwifery students - they were TRAINED to perform
obvious felonies - which is why I favor pardons in advance.

Todd

carl jones
January 23rd 05, 03:20 AM
"Todd Gastaldo" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> Childbirth Educator Carl Jones replied:
>
> > I am surprised Helen ignored your pleas. I know her and she seems very
> > woman-oriented.
> >

> "Woman-oriented" quickly goes out the window when a whole profession of
> CNMwives is aping MD-obstetricians, ignoring simple biomechanics and
closing
> birth canals up to 30%.

Yes. Midwives are often mini-OPs. That is why it is some important to
interview the midwife and make a choice carefully.

> "Woman-oriented" quickly goes out the window when one's profession (and
> one's OB supervisors) stand to lose millions in malpractice lawsuits.

How will they lose in malpractice suits? If they are keeping the birth canal
open, there is no reason for suit, is there?

> "Woman-oriented" quickly goes out the window given that criminal
negligence
> prosecutions are possible.

For what, Todd?

> In birth trauma cases, CNMwives and OBs have been telling juries:
> "cephalopelvic disproportion" - "large baby" - "small pelvis"...

Yes, I see this too often.

Carl

Todd Gastaldo
January 23rd 05, 05:15 AM
"carl jones" > wrote in message

> "Todd Gastaldo" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>>

>> Childbirth Educator Carl Jones replied:
>>
>> > I am surprised Helen ignored your pleas. I know her and she seems very
>> > woman-oriented.
>> >

>> "Woman-oriented" quickly goes out the window when a whole profession of
>> CNMwives is aping MD-obstetricians, ignoring simple biomechanics and
> closing
>> birth canals up to 30%.
>
> Yes. Midwives are often mini-OPs. That is why it is some important to
> interview the midwife and make a choice carefully.
>>
>> "Woman-oriented" quickly goes out the window when one's profession (and
>> one's OB supervisors) stand to lose millions in malpractice lawsuits.
>
> How will they lose in malpractice suits? If they are keeping the birth
> canal
> open, there is no reason for suit, is there?

Carl, those "mini-OPs" (OBs? - CNMwives) and OBs are closing birth canals up
to 30%, as in the sentence you quoted back and remarked upon:

>> a whole profession of
>> CNMwives is aping MD-obstetricians, ignoring simple biomechanics and
> closing
>> birth canals up to 30%.

OBs are LYING to cover-up - and Yale CNMwifery Prof. Helen Varney burst
ignored my pleas to help expose the lies. Instead, she promoted
semisitting.

>> "Woman-oriented" quickly goes out the window given that criminal
> negligence
>> prosecutions are possible.
>
> For what, Todd?

Carl, have you been drinking? LOL.

OBs are closing birth canals and keeping birth canals closed up to 30% and
LYING to cover-up.

>> In birth trauma cases, CNMwives and OBs have been telling juries:
>> "cephalopelvic disproportion" - "large baby" - "small pelvis"...
>
> Yes, I see this too often.

You snipped:

They can't now say, "We've been routinely closing the pelvis up to 30% and
routinely keeping birth canals closed when babies get stuck."

As med students and nurse-midwifery students - they were TRAINED to perform
obvious felonies - which is why I favor pardons in advance.

They would get prosecuted for the obvious felonies.

I favor pardons in advance because as med students (I say again) MDs are
TRAINED to perform felonies - and CNMwifery students are trained to be nurse
handmaidens and assist MDs.

Please say you were drunk or something, Carl - LOL.

Todd