PDA

View Full Version : Favorite labour tips?

Elle
January 19th 05, 02:37 PM
Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby is
going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
So what's your personal experience been?

Elle
EDD 2/16/2005

Mary W.
January 19th 05, 02:44 PM
Elle wrote:
> Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby is
> going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
> favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
> So what's your personal experience been?

Hiring a doula was the single best thing I did about getting
through labor. She had a bag of tricks of things to try
when labor started getting tough, things we wouldn't have
thought of.

Interestingly, I spent alot of time on a birth ball prior
to labor, but once in labor, that was the worst thing.
The shower was great for early labor, not so good for
later labor. I think a tub that I could have been immersed
in would have been fantastic.

Mary W.

Ericka Kammerer
January 19th 05, 03:41 PM
Elle wrote:

> Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby is
> going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
> favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
> So what's your personal experience been?

- Ignore labor as long as possible and just go about your business.
Getting all worked up and excited and hopping in bed and timing
every twinge and generally working yourself up into a tizzy is
a classic (and understandable) first timer thing, but it can
get you totally worn out physically and emotionally in the first
few hours!
- If you're having a hospital birth, go in as late as possible.
Your doula can be with you at home and help you decide when
you really need to go.
- Have a doula if you don't have midwives who will be with you
the whole labor.
- Eat and drink throughout labor. You can't keep up your stamina
if you're starving and dehydrated.
- Pee every hour.
- Stay out of bed as much as possible.
- Retain your mobility, and seriously consider refusing anything
that would limit your mobility: IVs (you can hydrate orally),
monitors (ask them to monitor intermittently with a handheld
device), epidural, etc.
- Be selfish. If you want the lights out, turn 'em off. If you
want it warmer or colder, make it warmer or colder. If you
want to make noise, make noise. If you want to be alone, boot
everyone else out. You don't have to be a Good
Patient. You need to listen to your body and do what you need
to do. Everyone else will cope.
- Have faith in yourself and your body. You can do this.

Before you get to labor, though, make sure that you have a
caregiver who is experienced with and routinely provides
the sort of birth that you would like to have. Don't base
your evaluation on what he or she says--base it on his or
her track record. If you want to go unmedicated, someone
who has a 95 percent epidural rate is not the person who's
likely to help you get what you want (and if you want to
go in with "EPIDURAL NOW!" tattooed on your forehead, someone
who has a 5 percent epidural rate probably isn't the person
for you) even if the person claimed to be open to that
option.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Renee
January 19th 05, 03:44 PM
Elle wrote:
> Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby
is
> going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
> favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
> So what's your personal experience been?
>
> Elle
> EDD 2/16/2005

If you give birth at a hospital, I would stop and get something to eat
(or eat something at home) before getting there. They may not let you
eat anything. Also, if you end up having an emergency c-section, you
probably won't be allowed to eat for over 24 hours afterwards.
I would also have a doula, like others have mentioned.

Renee

Circe
January 19th 05, 04:55 PM
"Elle" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby is
> going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
> favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
> So what's your personal experience been?

In addition to everything Ericka said (which I wholeheartedly second), if
you are trying to go unmedicated:

1. Don't get discouraged and accept pain relief medications that you don't
really want because you are afraid the pain is going to get much worse. In
my experience, the pain generally does *not* get much worse than it is when
you reach the point of thinking that you will need them if it gets worse.
Think in terms of asking for pain relief ONLY when the pain is ALREADY at
the point where you can no longer cope with it.

2. Generally speaking, right around the time you start thinking that you are
going to need pain relief because you are not going to be able to cope any
longer, it's almost over. When you get to this point, try to stay in a "one
contraction at a time" mindset.

3. Refuse internal exams unless YOU want one. And don't pay a whole lot of
attention to the results. IME, it's entirely possible to go from 6cm to 10cm
in under 15 minutes (of course, that was a third baby, but it was also after
almost 3.5 hours of pretty intense labor that didn't change dilation at
all). My point is that just because you are at 4cm now doesn't mean that you
won't be at 10cm very shortly. And being at 7cm now doesn't necessarily mean
you're going to be at 10cm straightaway. Despite the 1cm/hour dilation
"rule", labor doesn't really progress according to the textbooks.
--
Be well, Barbara

Melania
January 19th 05, 05:27 PM
I did the full-on first timer thing Erika recommends against: timing
every twinge, getting so excited I couldn't sleep (contractions started
at 5 pm but didn't become "productive" till noon the next day), and by
the time I'd been in labour for some 28 hours, I was so exhausted and
still at 5 cm that they put me on pitocin to augment the contractions.
I'd been having strong contractions 3-5 min apart for about 8-10 hours,
and had been coping really well (see below), but once the minute-on,
minute-off pitocin contractions started, I lasted about an hour before
I asked for an epi - which I got about a half hour after that. After
that things went very quickly and painlessly, and I pushed ds out in
about 45 min.

What worked while in early labour:
-walking and rocking
-chatting and being active
-watching movies, lots of distraction tactics
-frequent juice/water/snacks
-frequent peeing

in active labour:
-listening and dancing/bouncing/rocking to fun upbeat music between
contractions
-having a very social, light-hearted, and chatty atmosphere with doula,
dh, best friend, nurse, med student, and occasionally doctor, between
contractions - it was like a labour party
-leaning over bed with dh "opening" pelvis from behind (I can explain
this more, sort of, if you want!) got rid of about 70% of pain for
quite a while - my FAVORITE labour tactic
-low moaning/droning/almost singing through contraction helped me to
breathe well and focus
-bouncing on the ball and the moaning/droning thing helped once the
pelvis-opening thing stopped working

I *hated* the shower and only went in because a well-meaning nurse
talked me into it. She was convinced I was having back labour (I
wasn't), and I was really uncomfortable getting naked and wet. It
didn't relieve the pain at all, and stressed me out. Before things got
really intense, I had a fair bit to eat. Dh went and got food, and the
nurse left while "he" ate it (right!), since she couldn't officially
condone it but refused to let a labouring woman go hungry. We had a
doula who was an immense help, keeping me hydrated and reminding me to
pee.

I had a lovely medical student present for most of the time, and she
was so enthusiastic and pleased to be there that it was a pleasure to
have her. As Barbara said, feel free to refuse internals. I refused
two, but was so curious as to how far along I was that I did allow two
others.

I thought I would want very few people around, but I'm intensely social
and was comforted by the crowd. Dh and I did send everyone away for
about a half-hour at one point, and you should feel free to ask
everyone, including a nurse or doctor, to leave and give you some
private time.

It took 48 hours from the time my water broke till ds was born, with 36
hours of actual labour and about 16 hours of strong, active labour. My
best advice is to get as much rest and relaxation as you possibly can
in the early stages and keep your strength up for what lies ahead -
advice I wish I'd been able to follow better!

Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005) and according to the u/s last night, looks
like another boy!

Kim E
January 19th 05, 05:40 PM
"Elle" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that
> this baby is
> going to have to come out at some point I would love to
> hear your
> favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through
> labour.
> So what's your personal experience been?

I had my first in July and honestly it was not as bad as I
thought it would be. Even tho i ended up with a pitocin IV,
it was still able to go without pain meds fairly easily - i
think i was expecting something really awful from all the
stories i had heard so when my labor was short - only 6 hrs,
i was very pleasantly surprised!

Anyway, here are my tips: Relax! :) Try to relax your body
during and between contractions, rather than allowing your
body to tense up (like fists clenched). Once one
contraction is over, consider it a holiday and don't worry
or think about the next one - you will know when it gets
there! Don't lie down - i found the discomfort to be the
greatest when i was lying flat on my back! Also, I ate and
drank what i wanted (we had brought food in) even tho it was
against hospital rules (what they didn't see me eat couldn't
get me yelled at! :) I also felt free to take off the
stupid continuous monitor strap so that i could move around
and put it back on when i came back to bed for a bit. I
spent a lot of time in the bathroom, partly so the nurses
would leave me alone and partly because it felt comfy
sitting there! Good luck!

-kim

Todd Gastaldo
January 19th 05, 06:09 PM
"Kim E" > wrote in message

> "Elle" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby is
>> going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
>> favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
>> So what's your personal experience been?

Elle,

I know that by definition I can't have a personal experience in labor but...

One of my wife's observations was that at one point she just "checked out" -
let her body do its thing.

Easy for me to say - but that what she said.

Good luck!

Todd

Kim replied to Elle...

> I had my first in July and honestly it was not as bad as I thought it
> would be. Even tho i ended up with a pitocin IV, it was still able to go
> without pain meds fairly easily - i think i was expecting something really
> awful from all the stories i had heard so when my labor was short - only 6
> hrs, i was very pleasantly surprised!
>
> Anyway, here are my tips: Relax! :) Try to relax your body during and
> between contractions, rather than allowing your body to tense up (like
> fists clenched). Once one contraction is over, consider it a holiday and
> don't worry or think about the next one - you will know when it gets
> there!

This sounds very close to "checking out" perhaps?

> Don't lie down - i found the discomfort to be the greatest when i was
> lying flat on my back!

YES! Lying on one's back or being semisitting closes the birth canal up to
30%.

Most everyone knows that my favorite tip is DON'T CLOSE THE BIRTH CANAL -
not during late second stage - but my less-stated corrollary to this tip is
that it makes eminent good sense that lying on the back/semisitting SHOULD
be uncomfortable - the sacrum is being torqued in exactly the opposite
direction it is supposed to move.. I have read of other women using much
stronger terms than "uncomfortable" to express the sensation felt when lying
on the back in late second stage.

Michele Odent, MD suggests that this favorite tip of mine - staying off the
sacrum at delivery - is already known to women; that is, Odent indicates
that if women are allowed to labor unobserved, they SPONTANEOUSLY get off
their sacra - get off their back/butt to push their babies out. He calls it
the "fetus ejection reflex."

I know, I know, everyone already knows this.

I write in hopes that someone who hasn't read me before is reading.

Sincerely,

Todd

> Also, I ate and drank what i wanted (we had brought food in) even tho it
> was against hospital rules (what they didn't see me eat couldn't get me
> yelled at! :) I also felt free to take off the stupid continuous monitor
> strap so that i could move around and put it back on when i came back to
> bed for a bit. I spent a lot of time in the bathroom, partly so the
> nurses would leave me alone and partly because it felt comfy sitting
> there! Good luck!
>
> -kim

emilymr
January 19th 05, 07:15 PM
"Also, if you end up having an emergency c-section, you
probably won't be allowed to eat for over 24 hours afterwards."

Well, they let me eat -- but I have to say, jello and chicken broth got
REALLY OLD after 4 meals! ;)

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Victoria F.
January 19th 05, 07:16 PM
"Elle" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby is
> going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
> favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
> So what's your personal experience been?

Hiring a doula, without a doubt, was the best thing I ever did for my
labours. Also, labouring at home until my doula was saying "Um, we really
need to go now..." ;)

Early labor I used a lot of hot showers, and the birth ball, and just
kneeling on my knees with my hands flat out in front of me on my coffee
table (this was the perfect height and support for me, surprisingly). I
also didn't pack my bag for the hospital until I was in early labor - having
something to do makes it go by faster.

HTH!

Victoria

Serenity
January 19th 05, 07:19 PM
Breathe your phone number.
When you have to pant or breathe, instead of an in/out breathe in sets of
breaths according to your phone number.

I was concentrating so hard on remembering my phone number I missed a chunk
of labour.
Love S

emilymr
January 19th 05, 07:24 PM
I second what Kim says -- I went into labor steeling myself for it being
the worst pain ever, and since it wasn't as excrutiating as I had
expected, I didn't experience it as being so bad. This isn't to say it
was a total piece of cake; by the time they said I needed a section I was
definitely ready for the contractions to be over, and I never pushed so I
don't know what that's like -- it could have been worse, I guess. But for
me, mentally preparing myself for lots of pain and no meds made it easier
to bear.

Also, focusing on my breathing helped, and relaxing like Kim said --
opening my mouth, loosening my jaw, pulling my tongue down from the roof
of my mouth, unclenching my fists, relaxing my shoulders, moaning really
deeply, etc. Plus hanging on to DH. :) And the birthing tub...

I found that I didn't want to eat *anything* during labor. I forced down
water and gatorade at DH's insistence, and choked down a cracker or two.
That surprised me, since after reading everyone here I was planning on
eating.

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Tori M.
January 19th 05, 07:33 PM
That is a good idea.. lol.. I just visualised me blowing the pain away.. the
stronger I pushed the air out the less it hurt. Towards the end I would
forget the method and it would be bad until I realised I was breathing
panicky again and I would slow down the breathing. I told my midwife that I
only wanted an epidural if she decided I needed pitocin.. I never needed it
though.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier 10/27/04
> Breathe your phone number.
> When you have to pant or breathe, instead of an in/out breathe in sets of
> breaths according to your phone number.
>
> I was concentrating so hard on remembering my phone number I missed a
> chunk
> of labour.
> Love S

Renee
January 19th 05, 07:38 PM
emilymr wrote:
> "Also, if you end up having an emergency c-section, you
> probably won't be allowed to eat for over 24 hours afterwards."
>
> Well, they let me eat -- but I have to say, jello and chicken broth
got
> REALLY OLD after 4 meals! ;)
>
> Em
> mama to Micah, 11/14/04

I got that after eating ice water for 24 hours. I never liked broth
before, but it tasted so good when I finally got to eat something with
calories.

Renee

Renee
January 19th 05, 07:40 PM
Serenity wrote:
> Breathe your phone number.
> When you have to pant or breathe, instead of an in/out breathe in
sets of
> breaths according to your phone number.
>
> I was concentrating so hard on remembering my phone number I missed a
chunk
> of labour.
> Love S

I might try that. I screamed with each contraction because my doula
said it might help. (I guess I was bottling it all in.) Breathing out
the phone number sounds a little more composed. :)

Renee

Renee
January 19th 05, 07:43 PM
> Don't lie down - i found the discomfort to be the
> greatest when i was lying flat on my back!

I leaned back in my seat and slept between contractions. I went into
labor at 6:30pm after working all day. After 2:00am, I couldn't stay
awake except during the contractions.

Renee

Elle
January 19th 05, 08:04 PM
These tips are all awesome, I am finding them very useful!

On the birthing ball -- how do you use it exactly? I have a yoga ball
which I imagine is the same thing. Do you just sit on it (that's how I
mostly use mine, at 36 weeks!)? Are there certain positions used with
the ball which tend to help during labour?

Thanks so much, these words of wisdom are really helpful!
Elle
2/16/2005

PattyMomVA
January 19th 05, 08:41 PM
"emilymr" <emily@xxxxxx> wrote and I snipped:

> Also, focusing on my breathing helped, and relaxing like Kim said --
> opening my mouth, loosening my jaw, pulling my tongue down from the roof
> of my mouth, unclenching my fists, relaxing my shoulders, moaning really
> deeply, etc. Plus hanging on to DH. :) And the birthing tub...

I "third" this. And, I recommend hiring a doula. My doula worked with me
to relax throughout the labor, as the contractions got stronger and stronger
(notice that I didn't say they got more painful). First, we concentrated on
my eyebrows. When I could have a contraction, but keep them relaxed
throughout, then we went to my mouth and jaw. As we continued moving down,
over the hours of labor, I got to where I could relax my entire body during
each contraction. It left the little bit of cramping with each contraction
just sort of centered in the lower middle of my abdomen. It was a
completely amazing experience.

Good luck,
-Patty, mom of 3

Ericka Kammerer
January 19th 05, 08:44 PM
emilymr wrote:

> I second what Kim says -- I went into labor steeling myself for it being
> the worst pain ever, and since it wasn't as excrutiating as I had
> expected, I didn't experience it as being so bad. This isn't to say it
> was a total piece of cake; by the time they said I needed a section I was
> definitely ready for the contractions to be over, and I never pushed so I
> don't know what that's like -- it could have been worse, I guess. But for
> me, mentally preparing myself for lots of pain and no meds made it easier
> to bear.

I think many people assume that pushing is the worst
(and therefore leap at pain meds assuming that they're really
need them for pushing), but my experience (which seems not
uncommon) was that pushing was easier than transition by quite
a margin.

> I found that I didn't want to eat *anything* during labor. I forced down
> water and gatorade at DH's insistence, and choked down a cracker or two.
> That surprised me, since after reading everyone here I was planning on
> eating.

I didn't *want* to eat, but felt it important to be taking
in calories and hydration for a whole host of reasons: wanted to keep
my strength up, it helps to ensure that labor doesn't stall, didn't
want my starvation to encourage hypoglycemia in the baby, not eating
and drinking affects fetal blood pH, etc. You don't have to eat a
lot, but you do have to drink regularly to stay hydrated. Drinking
something with calories helps. I also ate a bit of toast and miso
soup and such during my labor that was long enough for it to be an
issue. I really credit eating and drinking with my being able to
get through a long labor well.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Beach Mum
January 19th 05, 09:13 PM
What worked for me is totally focusing on the contraction when it was
happening. IOW, I didn't worry about how I looked, what was coming out of me
(I'm sure I pooped at least once), what noises I was making or on what the
next contraction would feel like. I just kept repeating 'focus, focus,
focus' to myself.

(However, I had a really easy labor. I never was in much pain and the entire
thing from first contraction to baby was seven hours, so I don't know if
this would work for everyone. It did work for me.)

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

"Elle" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby is
> going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
> favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
> So what's your personal experience been?
>
> Elle
> EDD 2/16/2005

Beach Mum
January 19th 05, 09:15 PM
"Renee" > wrote
> If you give birth at a hospital, I would stop and get something to eat
> (or eat something at home) before getting there. They may not let you
> eat anything.

However, if you bring snacks, there often won't be anyone in the room with
you while you're in labor. Plus, what are they going to do, snatch snacks
out of your hand so you can't eat them? I had just finished dinner so it
wasn't something that came up, but even the L&D nurse, who was supposed to
enforce the no-food policy, saw my snacks and said she routinely ignores
when patients eat during labor because it's not a reasonable policy.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Renee
January 19th 05, 09:35 PM
Beach Mum wrote:
> "Renee" > wrote
> > If you give birth at a hospital, I would stop and get something to
eat
> > (or eat something at home) before getting there. They may not let
you
> > eat anything.
>
> However, if you bring snacks, there often won't be anyone in the room
with
> you while you're in labor. Plus, what are they going to do, snatch
snacks
> out of your hand so you can't eat them? I had just finished dinner so
it
> wasn't something that came up, but even the L&D nurse, who was
supposed to
> enforce the no-food policy, saw my snacks and said she routinely
ignores
> when patients eat during labor because it's not a reasonable policy.
> --
> Melissa (in Los Angeles)
> Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03
> and one due early 3/05

My doula will be with me, and she's provided by the hospital. Do you
think she'd tell on me? :)

Renee

Irene
January 19th 05, 10:24 PM
Ericka said:
>- Stay out of bed as much as possible.

Unless you turn out to be weird like me, and labor most comfortably
while lying on my side. ;-)

Fwiw, whenever I went for a walk, my labor slowed - contrary to all
expectations!

Irene

Child
January 19th 05, 10:53 PM
"Renee" > wrote in message
oups.com...

| Elle wrote:
| > Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby
| is
| > going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
| > favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
| > So what's your personal experience been?
| >
| > Elle
| > EDD 2/16/2005
|
| If you give birth at a hospital, I would stop and get something to eat
| (or eat something at home) before getting there. They may not let you
| eat anything. Also, if you end up having an emergency c-section, you
| probably won't be allowed to eat for over 24 hours afterwards.
| I would also have a doula, like others have mentioned.

Renee,
I gather they also dont' let you drink either? Is that really true?

Larry McMahan
January 19th 05, 10:57 PM
Elle > writes:
: Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby is
: going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
: favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
: So what's your personal experience been?

: Elle
: EDD 2/16/2005

Birth at home!!!

Larry

Nan
January 19th 05, 11:15 PM
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:53:59 -0900, "Child" >
scribbled:

>Renee,
>I gather they also dont' let you drink either? Is that really true?

Some hospitals don't. Mine had a "no food or drink after 5 cm
dilation" rule. Pfft.
I was attempting a VBAC, so the nurses were really annoying and not
wanting me to eat at all. My OB informed them I could eat whatever I
wanted, so she put it in as an order in my chart and I promptly picked
up the phone and ordered a dinner tray from the kitchen ;-)

Nan

Ericka Kammerer
January 19th 05, 11:26 PM
Irene wrote:

> Ericka said:
>
>>- Stay out of bed as much as possible.
>

> Unless you turn out to be weird like me, and labor most comfortably
> while lying on my side. ;-)
>
> Fwiw, whenever I went for a walk, my labor slowed - contrary to all
> expectations!

There's one in every crowd, eh? ;-)

Personally, I'm not a fan of walking as much as some. I think
there are times when it (or going up and down stairs, or other specific
movements) can help out, but I've known women who thought that walking,
walking, walking would make everything better and faster and just ended
up wearing themselves out ;-) If you actually feel better lying in
bed, by all means do that. Just don't hang out in bed because you
assume it's the thing to do, or because it's convenient for the nurses,
or whatever. For many women, lying in bed is significantly more
painful. Studies seem to show that an astonishing number of women
spend practically their entire labor in bed!

Best wishes,
Ericka

Child
January 19th 05, 11:30 PM
"Nan" > wrote in message
| On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:53:59 -0900, "Child" >
| scribbled:
|
| >Renee,
| >I gather they also dont' let you drink either? Is that really true?
|
| Some hospitals don't. Mine had a "no food or drink after 5 cm
| dilation" rule. Pfft.
| I was attempting a VBAC, so the nurses were really annoying and not
| wanting me to eat at all. My OB informed them I could eat whatever I
| wanted, so she put it in as an order in my chart and I promptly picked
| up the phone and ordered a dinner tray from the kitchen ;-)
|
| Nan

Thanks Nan, my OB will be on my side, and I will have her put it on my
chart!

Unadulterated Me
January 20th 05, 12:36 AM
Elle wrote:

> Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby is
> going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
> favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
> So what's your personal experience been?

Good music and lots of chocolate to nibble on.

Andrea

Child
January 20th 05, 12:40 AM
"Unadulterated Me" > wrote in message
| Elle wrote:
|
| > Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby is
| > going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
| > favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
| > So what's your personal experience been?
| >

| Good music and lots of chocolate to nibble on.
|
| Andrea

What tempo of music was ideal?

Unadulterated Me
January 20th 05, 01:01 AM
Child wrote:

> "Unadulterated Me" > wrote in message
> | Elle wrote:
> |
> | > Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby is
> | > going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
> | > favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
> | > So what's your personal experience been?
> | >

> | Good music and lots of chocolate to nibble on.
> |
> | Andrea
>
> What tempo of music was ideal?

ummm whatever tempo floats your boat, it's your labour.

Andrea

Cathy
January 20th 05, 03:08 AM
Elle wrote:
> Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby
> is going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
> favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
> So what's your personal experience been?
>
> Elle
> EDD 2/16/2005

Okay, this sounds stupid, but relax! With DD1, I freaked out, wasn't
relaxed, and just about climbed the walls. With DD2, I laughed at the
contractions, kept thinking that each one meant that I had one less to
endure, and made sure I was really relaxed, which meant doing what I wanted
to do. I thought I would be mobile, but at one point I curled up on the
couch and focussed on each contraction, which helped me get through them.
Read up on as many birth stories as you can, and when your time comes, find
something that suits you.

Good luck,
Cathy

Kelly
January 20th 05, 04:37 AM
*Have a stack of music to listen to
*Drink lots of water/fluids
*Pee a lot
*brush your teeth, suck on candy
*Walk
*Sit on a birthing ball
*Have good company if you want it, especially early on
*Find comfortable positions-be open to changing positions often-I go from
rocking chair, to birthing ball, to walking, to shower, to rocking on all
fours, standing and leaning, back to beginning.
*Wash DH shirts in a detergent you like to smell (I know this sounds wacky,
but I remember burying my head in my DH chest and really being happy he had
on a newly laundered shirt that smelled good. It was comforting)
*Be open minded and flexibe-things may go faster or slower or hurt more or
less than you expect so be ready to change your mindset and go with it.
*Don't get focused on the timing of contractions or freak out that one might
be starting-tell yourself that you are amazing and your body is doing a
great job. Take each contraction individually.
*enjoy

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Elle" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby is
> going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
> favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
> So what's your personal experience been?
>
> Elle
> EDD 2/16/2005

Kelly
January 20th 05, 04:39 AM
I couldn't be lying down, but I sure liked sitting upright in bed with my
legs lower than my hips (I'd lower the foot and cross my legs, or do a
modified squat)

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Irene wrote:
>
>> Ericka said:
>>
>>>- Stay out of bed as much as possible.
>>

>> Unless you turn out to be weird like me, and labor most comfortably
>> while lying on my side. ;-)
>>
>> Fwiw, whenever I went for a walk, my labor slowed - contrary to all
>> expectations!
>
> There's one in every crowd, eh? ;-)
>
> Personally, I'm not a fan of walking as much as some. I think
> there are times when it (or going up and down stairs, or other specific
> movements) can help out, but I've known women who thought that walking,
> walking, walking would make everything better and faster and just ended
> up wearing themselves out ;-) If you actually feel better lying in
> bed, by all means do that. Just don't hang out in bed because you
> assume it's the thing to do, or because it's convenient for the nurses,
> or whatever. For many women, lying in bed is significantly more
> painful. Studies seem to show that an astonishing number of women
> spend practically their entire labor in bed!
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Kelly
January 20th 05, 04:41 AM
I personally can't eat during labor and never felt deprived, but those than
can should. I watched a woman eat a chocolate bar while waiting for an
epidural. We pretended she was undecided ;)

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Beach Mum" > wrote in message
> "Renee" > wrote
>> If you give birth at a hospital, I would stop and get something to eat
>> (or eat something at home) before getting there. They may not let you
>> eat anything.
>
> However, if you bring snacks, there often won't be anyone in the room with
> you while you're in labor. Plus, what are they going to do, snatch snacks
> out of your hand so you can't eat them? I had just finished dinner so it
> wasn't something that came up, but even the L&D nurse, who was supposed to
> enforce the no-food policy, saw my snacks and said she routinely ignores
> when patients eat during labor because it's not a reasonable policy.
> --
> Melissa (in Los Angeles)
> Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03
> and one due early 3/05

Kelly
January 20th 05, 04:48 AM
Anything you want to listen to. I do a mix of stuff so as to not get bored
with hearing the same thing over and over. And, there's time between
contractions to enjoy it.

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Child" > wrote in message

> "Unadulterated Me" > wrote in message
> | Elle wrote:
> |
> | > Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby
> is
> | > going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
> | > favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
> | > So what's your personal experience been?
> | >

> | Good music and lots of chocolate to nibble on.
> |
> | Andrea
>
> What tempo of music was ideal?

Marie
January 20th 05, 05:11 AM
On 19 Jan 2005 15:57:42 -0700, Larry McMahan
> wrote:
>Birth at home!!!

I have ESP!
Marie

Larry McMahan
January 20th 05, 05:56 AM
"Marie" > wrote in message
> On 19 Jan 2005 15:57:42 -0700, Larry McMahan
> > wrote:
> >Birth at home!!!
>
> I have ESP!
> Marie

Extra sensory perception? Because you knew I was going to
post that? It was a good bet.

:-)
Larry

Tori M.
January 20th 05, 06:46 AM
"Larry McMahan" > wrote in message

> "Marie" > wrote in message
>> On 19 Jan 2005 15:57:42 -0700, Larry McMahan
>> > wrote:
>> >Birth at home!!!
>>
>> I have ESP!
>> Marie
>
> Extra sensory perception? Because you knew I was going to
> post that? It was a good bet.
>
> :-)
> Larry
I could do a home birth next time.. hehe I live in town.. my midwife does
not do home births though and I really like the time in the hospital for the
most part.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier 10/27/04

Emily
January 20th 05, 07:24 AM
Elle wrote:
> Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby is
> going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
> favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
> So what's your personal experience been?

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I'm going to
chime in anyway:

-- Hire a doula
-- Meditate to music
-- Stay in the moment: don't worry about what's coming next,
whether you'll be able to handle it (you will), how long it
will all take. The only contraction that matters is the one
you're experiencing.
-- Do everything possible to ensure good positioning of
the baby before labor starts (not posterior, or you could
get stuck with back labor): pelvic rocks, walking up lots
of stairs, proper posture while sitting (can anyone describe
this)?
-- Read up ahead of time (and have your partner do so too)
on the various contingencies that might arise. This will
help you make informed decisions, and feel confident with
your choices.
-- Remember that labor pain isn't like other pain: it doesn't
mean that something is wrong.
-- Try not to tense up against the contractions; that makes
them hurt more. Rather, think about channeling their energy
through you. (My meditiation with DS was "through me and
into the earth" imagining that contraction energy going down
into the earth and causing trees around to grow and sprout
leaves -- for some reason, in order to make this work, I had
to keep my torso aligned so that I felt like the contraction
energy could go straight down into the ground. Later, when
I couldn't sit that way, it was "endorphins in, butterflies
out" with each breath: imagining that I was breathing in my
endorphins and breathing out butterflies that flew off to
the corners of the room. Neither of these images were things
I'd worked out before hand, just what I came to in the moment.)
-- Make the environment work for you (for me: dim lights, and
absolutely no food smells in the room)

That's some of what I did, and I made it through a Pitocin-augmented
labor without any pain medication. Great experience!

Emily
DS 5/02

Emily
January 20th 05, 07:30 AM
Ericka Kammerer wrote:
> I think many people assume that pushing is the worst
> (and therefore leap at pain meds assuming that they're really
> need them for pushing), but my experience (which seems not
> uncommon) was that pushing was easier than transition by quite
> a margin.

Me too: in fact, pushing felt *good*. To finally be doing
something active with the contractions rather than just riding
them, I think. I even had a 2nd degree tear that required a
bunch of stitches, and I didn't even feel it happen. Must have
just been swimming in my own endorphins by that point.

Emily
DS 5/02

Emily
January 20th 05, 07:35 AM
Kelly wrote:
> Anything you want to listen to. I do a mix of stuff so as to not get bored
> with hearing the same thing over and over. And, there's time between
> contractions to enjoy it.
>
> Kelly
> #4 2/12/05

And I listened to the same CD for 12 hours straight, and
loved it! (George Winston's _Winter_ Album)

Emily
DS 5/02

Emily
January 20th 05, 07:36 AM
Kelly wrote:
> *Have a stack of music to listen to
> *Drink lots of water/fluids
> *Pee a lot
> *brush your teeth, suck on candy
> *Walk
> *Sit on a birthing ball
> *Have good company if you want it, especially early on
> *Find comfortable positions-be open to changing positions often-I go from
> rocking chair, to birthing ball, to walking, to shower, to rocking on all
> fours, standing and leaning, back to beginning.
> *Wash DH shirts in a detergent you like to smell (I know this sounds wacky,
> but I remember burying my head in my DH chest and really being happy he had
> on a newly laundered shirt that smelled good. It was comforting)
> *Be open minded and flexibe-things may go faster or slower or hurt more or
> less than you expect so be ready to change your mindset and go with it.
> *Don't get focused on the timing of contractions or freak out that one might
> be starting-tell yourself that you are amazing and your body is doing a
> great job. Take each contraction individually.
> *enjoy
>
> Kelly
> #4 2/12/05

Hi Kelly,

It seems like we had very different experiences :)
I found that in the beginning, it really helped to watch
the contraction monitor so that I wouldn't get caught off guard.
Later, as I got into the rhythm of it, I could tell when they
were coming and was able to keep up without the monitor.

Emily
DS 5/02

Leslie
January 20th 05, 12:57 PM
Stay at home as long as possible!!! At home, what worked for me was a nice hot
bath, unavailable at the hospital. Also just being in my own nice dark room
with candles lit, where I felt safe, and there were no monitors, etc.

At the hospital, walking and the birth ball helped, but all that is hard with
monitors attached so go for no i.v. and intermittent monitoring if you can.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
Lorelei (11/10/04 -- another VBAC)

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Kim E
January 20th 05, 01:44 PM
"emilymr" <emily@xxxxxx> wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
>I second what Kim says -- I went into labor steeling myself for
>it being
> the worst pain ever, and since it wasn't as excrutiating as I
> had
> expected, I didn't experience it as being so bad. This isn't
> to say it
> was a total piece of cake; by the time they said I needed a
> section I was
> definitely ready for the contractions to be over, and I never
> pushed so I
> don't know what that's like -- it could have been worse, I
> guess. But for
> me, mentally preparing myself for lots of pain and no meds made
> it easier
> to bear.
>
> Also, focusing on my breathing helped, and relaxing like Kim
> said --
> opening my mouth, loosening my jaw, pulling my tongue down from
> the roof
> of my mouth, unclenching my fists, relaxing my shoulders,
> moaning really
> deeply, etc. Plus hanging on to DH. :) And the birthing
> tub...

I wanted to try a birthing tub, but the hospital where i was
delivering did not have them available - plus my water broke
early and they wouldn't even let me in the shower. The relaxing
really helped more than i would have imagined - i am glad that DH
and i practiced it beforehand.

> I found that I didn't want to eat *anything* during labor. I
> forced down
> water and gatorade at DH's insistence, and choked down a
> cracker or two.
> That surprised me, since after reading everyone here I was
> planning on
> eating.

I guess i did not really want to eat once the contractions set in
2-3 minutes apart (which was almost immediately after labor
started, thanks to pitocin) - but i ended up staying in the
hospital the night before when my water broke, but no
contractions. They would not let me eat anything but Jello even
the night before - how silly - but my DH brought me a chicken
sandwich anyway. All I really ate the next day during labor was
yogurt and cheez-its (plus juice and water). I did keep drinking
throughout labor tho, except in pushing when i just did the ice
chips.

-kim

Kim E
January 20th 05, 01:52 PM
"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote:

> I think many people assume that pushing is the worst
> (and therefore leap at pain meds assuming that they're really
> need them for pushing), but my experience (which seems not
> uncommon) was that pushing was easier than transition by quite
> a margin.

How would you describe your transition? I don't think I had one!
For me, pushing felt really good at first, a relief! The last 10
minutes
of pushing right before the baby came out was the only time when
i had
what i would describe as actual pain, rather than discomfort.
That said tho,
I really liked *feeling* when my pushing contractions were coming
and
i would definitely try to go without meds again even knowing what
pushing feels
like.

-kim

Kim E
January 20th 05, 02:03 PM
"Emily" > wrote:

> I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I'm going to
> chime in anyway:
>
> -- Hire a doula
> -- Meditate to music
> -- Stay in the moment: don't worry about what's coming next,
> whether you'll be able to handle it (you will), how long it
> will all take. The only contraction that matters is the one
> you're experiencing.
> -- Do everything possible to ensure good positioning of
> the baby before labor starts (not posterior, or you could
> get stuck with back labor): pelvic rocks, walking up lots
> of stairs, proper posture while sitting (can anyone describe
> this)?

I am a HUGE fan of pelvic rocks! My baby was posterior the day
my water broke - i know because i had just had an ultrasound.
When my water broke and i realized that was it - i started doing
pelvic rocks like crazy at home and then in the hospital as much
as I could. The baby turned at some point by the next day when i
delivered!

> -- Read up ahead of time (and have your partner do so too)
> on the various contingencies that might arise. This will
> help you make informed decisions, and feel confident with
> your choices.

Taking a Bradley class really helped my husband feel comfortable
during labor and then he was able to help me! I think he would
have freaked out if he hadn't been educated in all the stages of
labor, contingencies, etc.

> -- Remember that labor pain isn't like other pain: it doesn't
> mean that something is wrong.
> -- Try not to tense up against the contractions; that makes
> them hurt more. Rather, think about channeling their energy
> through you.

Also, you want to save all your body's energy for the
contractions - not waste it on tensing up!

-kim

Mary W.
January 20th 05, 03:14 PM
Kelly wrote:
> I personally can't eat during labor and never felt deprived, but those than
> can should. I watched a woman eat a chocolate bar while waiting for an
> epidural. We pretended she was undecided ;)

I never felt like eating either, but its important to do
it for a couple of reasons (especially if you have a long
labor). First, to keep your strength up and second, studies
have shown that newborn glucose levels are lower with women
who aren't allowed to eat during labor. For my first labor
I wasnt' allowed and my second I just didnt' feel like it
(although my doula did her best to keep me fed and hydrated).
Both my girls were born with slightly low glucose. This led
to supplementing with DD1 which led to alot of problems
with breastfeeding. With DD2, I was able to nurse her and
bring her levels up (thanks to some intervention by my
doula) but then she was subjected to a bunch of heel sticks
to make sure her levels stayed up (they did).

So even if you don't feel like it, eating and drinking
during labor is a good thing.

Mary W.

Ericka Kammerer
January 20th 05, 03:54 PM
Kim E wrote:

> "Ericka Kammerer" > wrote:
>

>>I think many people assume that pushing is the worst
>>(and therefore leap at pain meds assuming that they're really
>>need them for pushing), but my experience (which seems not
>>uncommon) was that pushing was easier than transition by quite
>>a margin.
>

> How would you describe your transition? I don't think I had one!

I have always had a rough transition, owing to an early
urge to push. I have an overwhelming urge to push around 7cm.
The first two labors I tried not to push. By the third I said
screw it and pushed anyway ;-)

> For me, pushing felt really good at first, a relief! The last 10
> minutes
> of pushing right before the baby came out was the only time when
> i had
> what i would describe as actual pain, rather than discomfort.

I never had to push for long (max 20 min, as short as
5 min). I know that there was pain, but I never experienced it
as particularly painful as it felt so good to be *doing* something.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Marie
January 20th 05, 07:09 PM
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:56:41 -0800, "Larry McMahan"
> wrote:
>Extra sensory perception? Because you knew I was going to
>post that? It was a good bet.

Yep!
I'd advise a homebirth also but there's always the people who give
reasons why they couldn't have one. It seems pointless after awhile.
Marie

Larry McMahan
January 20th 05, 08:03 PM
: > wrote:
:>Extra sensory perception? Because you knew I was going to
:>post that? It was a good bet.

: Yep!
: I'd advise a homebirth also but there's always the people who give
: reasons why they couldn't have one. It seems pointless after awhile.
: Marie

That's looking at the glass half empty. If you only convince one in
a thousand, you have made the world a better place for (at least) two
people. With each success I can forget about the 999 previous failures.

Larry

A&G&K&H
January 21st 05, 05:49 AM
"Elle" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby is
> going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
> favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
> So what's your personal experience been?
>
> Elle
> EDD 2/16/2005

Everyone else has covered most of the biggies, but my best tip is:
when you think you can't stand it any more and the contractions are coming
on top of each other and lasting over a minute and you start hollering for
an epidural .... try to remember that you probably are in transition (which
I thought was the worst) and that it shouldn't last much longer.
Amanda

Kelly
January 21st 05, 07:18 AM
I don't plan on it, though. I will drink lots of fluids, probably take my
Hammergel to mix with water, but eating won't be on my list unless for some
change in how I feel. I think it's great that people can snack and eat
during labor.

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Mary W." > wrote in message
> Kelly wrote:
>> I personally can't eat during labor and never felt deprived, but those
>> than can should. I watched a woman eat a chocolate bar while waiting for
>> an epidural. We pretended she was undecided ;)
>>
> I never felt like eating either, but its important to do
> it for a couple of reasons (especially if you have a long
> labor). First, to keep your strength up and second, studies
> have shown that newborn glucose levels are lower with women
> who aren't allowed to eat during labor. For my first labor
> I wasnt' allowed and my second I just didnt' feel like it
> (although my doula did her best to keep me fed and hydrated).
> Both my girls were born with slightly low glucose. This led
> to supplementing with DD1 which led to alot of problems
> with breastfeeding. With DD2, I was able to nurse her and
> bring her levels up (thanks to some intervention by my
> doula) but then she was subjected to a bunch of heel sticks
> to make sure her levels stayed up (they did).
>
> So even if you don't feel like it, eating and drinking
> during labor is a good thing.
>
> Mary W.

Kelly
January 21st 05, 07:19 AM
With my first I listened to Spring Rain and Pachelbel Canon in D (with
ocean) the entire time. Consecutive labors got more of a mix-mainly for the
other person in the room ;) I think I could listen to George Winston Winter
over and over, too.

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Emily" > wrote in message
> Kelly wrote:
>> Anything you want to listen to. I do a mix of stuff so as to not get
>> bored with hearing the same thing over and over. And, there's time
>> between contractions to enjoy it.
>>
>> Kelly
>> #4 2/12/05
>
> And I listened to the same CD for 12 hours straight, and
> loved it! (George Winston's _Winter_ Album)
>
> Emily
> DS 5/02

Kelly
January 21st 05, 07:28 AM
I had that early feeling to push, too. My babies have been so low that
during labor I really want to push a bit with contractions-with DD it was
nearly unbearable by 6cm.

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Kim E wrote:
>
>> "Ericka Kammerer" > wrote:
>>

>>>I think many people assume that pushing is the worst
>>>(and therefore leap at pain meds assuming that they're really
>>>need them for pushing), but my experience (which seems not
>>>uncommon) was that pushing was easier than transition by quite
>>>a margin.
>>

>> How would you describe your transition? I don't think I had one!
>
> I have always had a rough transition, owing to an early
> urge to push. I have an overwhelming urge to push around 7cm.
> The first two labors I tried not to push. By the third I said
> screw it and pushed anyway ;-)
>
>> For me, pushing felt really good at first, a relief! The last 10 minutes
>> of pushing right before the baby came out was the only time when i had
>> what i would describe as actual pain, rather than discomfort.
>
> I never had to push for long (max 20 min, as short as
> 5 min). I know that there was pain, but I never experienced it
> as particularly painful as it felt so good to be *doing* something.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Welches
January 21st 05, 02:25 PM
"Mary W." > wrote in message
> Kelly wrote:
>> I personally can't eat during labor and never felt deprived, but those
>> than can should. I watched a woman eat a chocolate bar while waiting for
>> an epidural. We pretended she was undecided ;)
>>
> I never felt like eating either, but its important to do
> it for a couple of reasons (especially if you have a long
> labor). First, to keep your strength up and second, studies
> have shown that newborn glucose levels are lower with women
> who aren't allowed to eat during labor. For my first labor
> I wasnt' allowed and my second I just didnt' feel like it
> (although my doula did her best to keep me fed and hydrated).
> Both my girls were born with slightly low glucose. This led
> to supplementing with DD1 which led to alot of problems
> with breastfeeding. With DD2, I was able to nurse her and
> bring her levels up (thanks to some intervention by my
> doula) but then she was subjected to a bunch of heel sticks
> to make sure her levels stayed up (they did).
>
> So even if you don't feel like it, eating and drinking
> during labor is a good thing.
I didn't feel like eating/drinking in labour and had no problems with
glucose. #1 was born at 7am, the previous thing I'd had to eat/drink was at
1pm the previous day.
#2 I had breakfast at 9am, and she was born at 6.30pm. She had no problems,
however I got a migraine from dehydration afterwards. Next time I'm getting
dh to remind me to drink :-) (but I'm sick if I eat so there's not much
point)
Debbie

Ericka Kammerer
January 21st 05, 02:27 PM
Kelly wrote:

> I don't plan on it, though. I will drink lots of fluids, probably take my
> Hammergel to mix with water, but eating won't be on my list unless for some
> change in how I feel. I think it's great that people can snack and eat
> during labor.

Well, and with #4 it probably won't be much of an issue.
I think it really comes into play the most with longer labors,
and those are more likely the first time around. Unfortunately,
one is least experienced that first time, so I think a lot of
women get caught in the trap of not knowing they need to be
getting some calories in there and then running out of steam.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Renee
January 21st 05, 02:49 PM
Larry McMahan wrote:
> Marie > writes:
> : On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:56:41 -0800, "Larry McMahan"
> : > wrote:
> :>Extra sensory perception? Because you knew I was going to
> :>post that? It was a good bet.
>
> : Yep!
> : I'd advise a homebirth also but there's always the people who give
> : reasons why they couldn't have one. It seems pointless after
awhile.
> : Marie
>
> That's looking at the glass half empty. If you only convince one in
> a thousand, you have made the world a better place for (at least) two
> people. With each success I can forget about the 999 previous
failures.

> Larry

Maybe women should give birth where ever they are the most comfortable.
If a woman feels better at a hospital or a birth center, it's not a
failure - IMO.

Renee

Melania
January 21st 05, 05:51 PM
Yep - not that I have anything against people choosing a home birth,
but I would never do it. And, just as I don't try to convince people
having homebirths to go to a hospital, I appreciate them not trying to
convince me to birth at home.

Hillary Israeli
January 21st 05, 07:34 PM
In . com>,
Melania > wrote:

*
*I *hated* the shower and only went in because a well-meaning nurse
*talked me into it. She was convinced I was having back labour (I
*wasn't), and I was really uncomfortable getting naked and wet. It

!!!

I had the same problem; I thought I was the only one! I tried the shower
during labor and man, all it did was make me wet and ****ed off. I was mad
as a wet hen, as they say :)

*I had a lovely medical student present for most of the time, and she

I also enjoyed the medical student present during my first labor. Most
people find that really weird. :)

*It took 48 hours from the time my water broke till ds was born, with 36
*hours of actual labour and about 16 hours of strong, active labour. My

Wow. My water broke within minutes of delivery both times.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Tori M.
January 21st 05, 07:57 PM
"Hillary Israeli" > wrote in message
> In . com>,
> Melania > wrote:
>
> *
> *I *hated* the shower and only went in because a well-meaning nurse
> *talked me into it. She was convinced I was having back labour (I
> *wasn't), and I was really uncomfortable getting naked and wet. It
>
> !!!
>
> I had the same problem; I thought I was the only one! I tried the shower
> during labor and man, all it did was make me wet and ****ed off. I was mad
> as a wet hen, as they say :)
I did not enjoy the whirl pool as much as I love baths normaly I was in a
bath too cold in a room that was not mine in a building that I was not used
to NAKED.. did not enjoy it at all.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier 10/27/04

Cathy Weeks
January 22nd 05, 02:43 AM
Elle wrote:
> Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby
is
> going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
> favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
> So what's your personal experience been?

Really practice your relaxation exercises, over and over and over, so
that they become second nature. Because really, when those
contractions hit, everything flies out the window, and unless it's
truely second nature, it's REALLY hard to relax and go with the flow.
Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01

Melania
January 22nd 05, 05:13 AM
"Wow. My water broke within minutes of delivery both times."

Prolonged rupture of membranes. I got my first itsy bitsy contraction
12 hours after the water broke (high break, so slow leak), and that was
12 hours of walking around all day trying to start labour! The next
morning I spent another 5 hours or so climbing stairs and marching the
halls, trying to get the labour "active." No wonder I was tired!

Kelly
January 22nd 05, 06:01 AM
When I had prodromal labor with #1 I could snack on jello and fruit and was
fine, but it was *hours* before hard labor began. Heck, the hospital let me
go outside and walk to kill time (we lived out of town, so going home was
unreasonable)

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Kelly wrote:
>
>> I don't plan on it, though. I will drink lots of fluids, probably take
>> my Hammergel to mix with water, but eating won't be on my list unless for
>> some change in how I feel. I think it's great that people can snack and
>> eat during labor.
>
> Well, and with #4 it probably won't be much of an issue.
> I think it really comes into play the most with longer labors,
> and those are more likely the first time around. Unfortunately,
> one is least experienced that first time, so I think a lot of
> women get caught in the trap of not knowing they need to be
> getting some calories in there and then running out of steam.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Larry McMahan
January 22nd 05, 06:22 AM
Renee > writes:

: Maybe women should give birth where ever they are the most comfortable.

I agree with this sentiment 100%!

However, many traditional caregivers (read OBs) make unrealistic
representations to many prospective mothers to make them THINK
with will be more comfortable in an hospital, when, if they had
an informed knowledge of the options, they would be more
comfortable at home. My option is to give women that informed
option so that THEY and not the caregivers with an economic
interest can make the decision!

Larry

PS: You can read "comfortable" as "safe" because both apply!

Larry McMahan
January 22nd 05, 06:25 AM
Melania > writes:
: Yep - not that I have anything against people choosing a home birth,
: but I would never do it. And, just as I don't try to convince people
: having homebirths to go to a hospital, I appreciate them not trying to
: convince me to birth at home.

As I said, the objective is NOT to CONVICE you to do a homebirth.
The objective is to give you informed knowledge so YOU can make a
truly informed decision that is your own without being unduly
influenced by biased information given by a caregiver who has a
personal (economic) interest in your choice.

Larry

Chookie
January 22nd 05, 10:00 AM
In article om>,
"Elle" > wrote:

> Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby is
> going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
> favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
> So what's your personal experience been?

If you are taking iron supplements, stop them a week or two before your due
date, so that you aren't trying to squeeze the baby out past gravel in your
back passage. That's what it feels like, and it really stops you going with
the flow.

<flinching at memories>

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet

Renee
January 22nd 05, 02:00 PM
Larry McMahan wrote:
> Renee > writes:
>
> : Maybe women should give birth where ever they are the most
comfortable.

> I agree with this sentiment 100%!
>
> However, many traditional caregivers (read OBs) make unrealistic
> representations to many prospective mothers to make them THINK
> with will be more comfortable in an hospital, when, if they had
> an informed knowledge of the options, they would be more
> comfortable at home. My option is to give women that informed
> option so that THEY and not the caregivers with an economic
> interest can make the decision!
>
> Larry
>
> PS: You can read "comfortable" as "safe" because both apply!

I've read a lot of information about home births and hospital births,
so I'm not just "thinking" that I'd feel more comfortable at a
hospital. I know myself - I like hospitals.

I don't see the difference between the options given by one caregiver
with an economic interest and another caregiver with a similar economic
interest. Or from the unassisted mother who wants to believe that her
decision is the best. Everyone has an agenda.

Renee

NotMyRealName
January 22nd 05, 02:57 PM
> I don't see the difference between the options given by one caregiver
> with an economic interest and another caregiver with a similar economic
> interest. Or from the unassisted mother who wants to believe that her
> decision is the best. Everyone has an agenda.

You probably know this, but from the way you wrote that, it sounds like
you're assuming that all homebirths are unassisted births. That's not at
all true. Yes, there are people who do birth at home, unassisted, but many
(most?) homebirthers have a midwife in attendance. I'm personally not
comfortable giving birth at home unassisted (not at this point -- talk to me
again after I've had a few more babies, and maybe I will be), but I feel
totally comfortable giving birth at home with a midwife in attendance.

But yes, I agree that a woman should give birth wherever she's most
comfortable. I also think that sometimes the alternatives to hospital (ie
birth center and homebirth) are presented inaccurately, so women perceive
them to be less safe and are therefore less comfortable with them.

--
-Sara:)
Mommy to DD, 2 3/4

Ericka Kammerer
January 22nd 05, 04:03 PM
Renee wrote:

> I don't see the difference between the options given by one caregiver
> with an economic interest and another caregiver with a similar economic
> interest. Or from the unassisted mother who wants to believe that her
> decision is the best. Everyone has an agenda.

The difference is in which provider has more power to
put out their message.

Best wishes
Ericka

Emily
January 22nd 05, 04:51 PM
Kelly wrote:
> With my first I listened to Spring Rain and Pachelbel Canon in D (with
> ocean) the entire time. Consecutive labors got more of a mix-mainly for the
> other person in the room ;) I think I could listen to George Winston Winter
> over and over, too.

Yeah, when it was all over, I remembered to feel bad about
subjecting DH and the doula to the same music for 12 hours
straight, but I'll do it again if it comes to that: really,
they can take repetitive music if I can take *labor*.

Emily
DS 5/02

Melania
January 22nd 05, 05:43 PM
Sorry, Larry, that's just how it came across when you said "If you only
convince one in a thousand, you have made the world a better place for
(at least) two people." I'm not accusing you of being a homebirth
evangelist, and I don't think I've ever disagreed with anything I've
see you write here (I really appreciate your contributions)!

I just never liked the idea of giving birth at home, and it would
bother me to have someone (not my caregiver, since I chose a caregiver
who doesn't do homebirths) trying to give me a bunch of reasons to
change my mind.

But, it is a really personal thing, as you know, and I think you're
right that someone who might otherwise have had a homebirth could be
talked out of it by a hospital-focused caregiver.

Melania

January 22nd 05, 05:53 PM
> I don't see the difference between the options given by one caregiver
> with an economic interest and another caregiver with a similar
economic
> interest. Or from the unassisted mother who wants to believe that her
> decision is the best. Everyone has an agenda.

I think the unassisted mother would have the same agenda as you; wants
to feel the most comfortable.

KC

January 22nd 05, 06:04 PM
> , it's entirely possible to go from 6cm to 10cm
> under 15 minutes

I went from 5 cm to the baby flying out of me in 2 minutes on a second
birth. I was so discouraged because I was in the panic mode of
transition, but they just told me I was only 5 cm, so I thought I had
alot of time to go, and out shot the baby to my great relief.

KC

Ericka Kammerer
January 22nd 05, 06:17 PM
Melania wrote:

> But, it is a really personal thing, as you know, and I think you're
> right that someone who might otherwise have had a homebirth could be
> talked out of it by a hospital-focused caregiver.

"Could be"?! Oh, my goodness. I agree that women should
give birth where they please, and I also agree that it's not right
to beat someone about the head trying to get them to change their
mind. On the other hand, the pressure against choosing homebirth
(and the misinformation employed to exert that pressure) in the US
is *enormous*. The social expectation and pressure is so strong
that the overwhelming majority don't even *consider* it as
an option and automatically assume it is unsafe, if not plumb
crazy. Of the few who actually consider the option, most will
be talked out of it by family, friends, or caregivers--mostly
using inaccurate information. There isn't anywhere *near* a
level playing field. So, given that, I'm all in favor of
anyone who wants to extoll the virtues of homebirth, as long
as everyone respects everyone's rights to make their own
choices, however much one might disagree with them.

Best wishes,
Ericka

January 22nd 05, 08:05 PM
I think it is really individual. I spent so much time at the hospital
with my first birth because it was an induction that took over 24 hours
that I knew I wanted to stay home as long as possible with the second
birth, and bathe and eat before I went into the hospital. In early
labor, just moaning and being focused on myself helped best. In late
labor getting in any position that made the pain less was best. Really
the nurses at the hospital just drove me crazy trying to make me lay on
the bed when I couldn't tolerate laying down, that's why I think it is
very much best to stay home as long as possible. Plus, I think it goes
faster if you are able to be busy still rather than laying in a
hospital bed for the whole thing.

Another thing is I really hated the pushing on command thing the first
birth. I want to push when I want to push. Women in comas give birth
without pushing at all. The uterus will push the baby out even if you
never do. I know there are emergency cases where you have to get the
baby out ASAP, but besides that I think it is actually the convenience
of the doctor that makes them order you to push, push, push with every
contraction, and I think people are less apt to tear if they only push
when they want to. So, now I do not push on command. They have to
wait for me to push when I want to.

KC

Melania
January 22nd 05, 10:24 PM
I totally agree with you, Ericka. My experience, and I know it's not
common, was one of an environment where my regular doctor, my doula,
and my childbirth educator all included homebirth as a good option. I
was just so *not* interested in it that I never discussed it further
with them.

Of the six women in my prenatal education class, 4 went with midwives,
and 3 of those were planning homebirths. I know that's not the norm.

All I was saying, really, was that I know I wouldn't want anyone trying
to "convince" me. Not that there shouldn't be better education
available about it, not that the current atmosphere isn't heavily
pro-hospital.

cheers,
Melania

Ericka Kammerer
January 23rd 05, 02:33 AM
Melania wrote:

> All I was saying, really, was that I know I wouldn't want anyone trying
> to "convince" me. Not that there shouldn't be better education
> available about it, not that the current atmosphere isn't heavily
> pro-hospital.

I hear ya--there's just a *really* fine line between
reacting to statements that seem inaccurate or seem to exclude
the possibility of homebirth and trying to convince a particular
person to make a particular choice ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Kelly
January 23rd 05, 06:55 AM
I think a lot of people that choose a hospital birth *know* in their heart
that homebirths are safe, but don't see it as a desire for themselves or are
not willing/wanting to go down that road. Some places, like where I live,
it is difficult to find a homebirth care provider. I also believe there are
many places where finding a decent hospital is difficult. I am all for
homebirths for those that choose it and it is a great choice to have
available.

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Melania wrote:
>
>> But, it is a really personal thing, as you know, and I think you're
>> right that someone who might otherwise have had a homebirth could be
>> talked out of it by a hospital-focused caregiver.
>
> "Could be"?! Oh, my goodness. I agree that women should
> give birth where they please, and I also agree that it's not right
> to beat someone about the head trying to get them to change their
> mind. On the other hand, the pressure against choosing homebirth
> (and the misinformation employed to exert that pressure) in the US
> is *enormous*. The social expectation and pressure is so strong
> that the overwhelming majority don't even *consider* it as
> an option and automatically assume it is unsafe, if not plumb
> crazy. Of the few who actually consider the option, most will
> be talked out of it by family, friends, or caregivers--mostly
> using inaccurate information. There isn't anywhere *near* a
> level playing field. So, given that, I'm all in favor of
> anyone who wants to extoll the virtues of homebirth, as long
> as everyone respects everyone's rights to make their own
> choices, however much one might disagree with them.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Kelly
January 23rd 05, 06:57 AM
Do many people waffle on the two? It would seem to me that those that want
a homebirth have strong, solid feelings about it.

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Melania wrote:
>

>> All I was saying, really, was that I know I wouldn't want anyone trying
>> to "convince" me. Not that there shouldn't be better education
>> available about it, not that the current atmosphere isn't heavily
>> pro-hospital.
>
> I hear ya--there's just a *really* fine line between
> reacting to statements that seem inaccurate or seem to exclude
> the possibility of homebirth and trying to convince a particular
> person to make a particular choice ;-)
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Kelly
January 23rd 05, 07:00 AM
Have you since listened to the music? When I popped in birth music
afterwards I would start crying.

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Emily" > wrote in message
> Kelly wrote:
>> With my first I listened to Spring Rain and Pachelbel Canon in D (with
>> ocean) the entire time. Consecutive labors got more of a mix-mainly for
>> the other person in the room ;) I think I could listen to George Winston
>> Winter over and over, too.
>
> Yeah, when it was all over, I remembered to feel bad about
> subjecting DH and the doula to the same music for 12 hours
> straight, but I'll do it again if it comes to that: really,
> they can take repetitive music if I can take *labor*.
>
> Emily
> DS 5/02

Emily
January 23rd 05, 04:20 PM
Kelly wrote:
> Have you since listened to the music? When I popped in birth music
> afterwards I would start crying.

I have. I've loved that music for a long time, so it doesn't
actually have strong associations for me with DS's birth.
It seemed particularly good at calming DS early on, but that
might have just been because of the music itself, not because
he was born to it.

Emily
DS 5/02

karlisa
January 23rd 05, 05:53 PM
Ericka,

thank you for posting this information. This will be my first time
experiencing labor, too, and I welcome any helpful advice! I printed out
your list to give to DH so that we can go over it together to be more
prepared. Too bad I don't have a doula.

--
lisa
micksmom

"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Elle wrote:
>
> > Now that I have begun to wrap my head around the idea that this baby is
> > going to have to come out at some point I would love to hear your
> > favourite tip/best advice to a novice for getting through labour.
> > So what's your personal experience been?
>
> - Ignore labor as long as possible and just go about your business.
> Getting all worked up and excited and hopping in bed and timing
> every twinge and generally working yourself up into a tizzy is
> a classic (and understandable) first timer thing, but it can
> get you totally worn out physically and emotionally in the first
> few hours!
> - If you're having a hospital birth, go in as late as possible.
> Your doula can be with you at home and help you decide when
> you really need to go.
> - Have a doula if you don't have midwives who will be with you
> the whole labor.
> - Eat and drink throughout labor. You can't keep up your stamina
> if you're starving and dehydrated.
> - Pee every hour.
> - Stay out of bed as much as possible.
> - Retain your mobility, and seriously consider refusing anything
> that would limit your mobility: IVs (you can hydrate orally),
> monitors (ask them to monitor intermittently with a handheld
> device), epidural, etc.
> - Be selfish. If you want the lights out, turn 'em off. If you
> want it warmer or colder, make it warmer or colder. If you
> want to make noise, make noise. If you want to be alone, boot
> everyone else out. You don't have to be a Good
> Patient. You need to listen to your body and do what you need
> to do. Everyone else will cope.
> - Have faith in yourself and your body. You can do this.
>
> Before you get to labor, though, make sure that you have a
> caregiver who is experienced with and routinely provides
> the sort of birth that you would like to have. Don't base
> your evaluation on what he or she says--base it on his or
> her track record. If you want to go unmedicated, someone
> who has a 95 percent epidural rate is not the person who's
> likely to help you get what you want (and if you want to
> go in with "EPIDURAL NOW!" tattooed on your forehead, someone
> who has a 5 percent epidural rate probably isn't the person
> for you) even if the person claimed to be open to that
> option.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Ericka Kammerer
January 23rd 05, 05:55 PM
Kelly wrote:

> Do many people waffle on the two? It would seem to me that those that want
> a homebirth have strong, solid feelings about it.

That's because right now, only those crazy people who
are practically rabid about it even consider it. There are
likely lots of people who *would* choose homebirth if they
knew it was an option, knew of local care providers who
attended homebirths, knew others who had done it, hadn't
been socialized to believe it's crazy/wrong/unsafe, didn't
have lots of misconceptions about it (attendants aren't
sufficiently trained, leaves a mess in the house, only for
earthy-crunchy folk, only for those with an incredibly
high pain threshhold, etc.).
And even aside from that, yes, of those who consider
it, many do waffle or have spouses who aren't completely on
board.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Ericka Kammerer
January 23rd 05, 05:57 PM
Kelly wrote:

> I think a lot of people that choose a hospital birth *know* in their heart
> that homebirths are safe, but don't see it as a desire for themselves or are
> not willing/wanting to go down that road. Some places, like where I live,
> it is difficult to find a homebirth care provider. I also believe there are
> many places where finding a decent hospital is difficult. I am all for
> homebirths for those that choose it and it is a great choice to have
> available.

I certainly agree that homebirth care providers can be difficult
to find (or expensive, if you have insurance that covers hospital birth
but not homebirth). However, I don't agree that lots of people know
homebirth to be safe but just don't choose it for themselves. I think
the overwhelming majority of folks in the US believe homebirth to be
unsafe relative to hospital birth, even for healthy women with a
normal pregnancy.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Ericka Kammerer
January 23rd 05, 05:58 PM
Kelly wrote:

> I am all for
> homebirths for those that choose it and it is a great choice to have
> available.

Sorry, forgot to add that I agree with this, but I think it
is a reflection of the belief that homebirth is unsafe that the
care providers most likely to do homebirths are *illegal* in many
parts of the US.

Best wishes,
Ericka

carl jones
January 23rd 05, 07:03 PM
"karlisa" > wrote in message
. com...
> Ericka,
>
> thank you for posting this information. This will be my first time
> experiencing labor, too, and I welcome any helpful advice! I printed out
> your list to give to DH so that we can go over it together to be more
> prepared. Too bad I don't have a doula.

Is the father committed to helping you through labor? If he is well-prepared
he is worth his weight in Demorol! To get well-prepared, he needs to know
what to expect in labour -- not just the physical changes of labor but the
emotional and psychological changes. He can support you with his nurturing
presence, massage you, bring cool washcloths for your forehead and so on. I
think the father's role (or another birth partner) is so important I am
writing a book called "The Childbirth Companion: A |Complete Guide to Giving
Labor Support for Fathers, Family, and Friends." I am sorry it won't be
published in time for your labor!!

Good luck,

Carl

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?S=R&wauth=Carl+jones&siteID=1JSk6CbYEf0-OvWaQw0CjLv9tUk1mhtPHA#

http://tinyurl.com/4vm2e

karlisa
January 23rd 05, 08:19 PM
"carl jones" > wrote in message

> "karlisa" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > Ericka,
> >
> > thank you for posting this information. This will be my first time
> > experiencing labor, too, and I welcome any helpful advice! I printed
out
> > your list to give to DH so that we can go over it together to be more
> > prepared. Too bad I don't have a doula.
> >
> Is the father committed to helping you through labor? If he is
well-prepared
> he is worth his weight in Demorol! To get well-prepared, he needs to know
> what to expect in labour -- not just the physical changes of labor but the
> emotional and psychological changes. He can support you with his nurturing
> presence, massage you, bring cool washcloths for your forehead and so on.
> think the father's role (or another birth partner) is so important I am
> writing a book called "The Childbirth Companion: A |Complete Guide to
Giving
> Labor Support for Fathers, Family, and Friends." I am sorry it won't be
> published in time for your labor!!
>
> Good luck,
>

> Carl

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?S=R&wauth=Carl+jones&siteID=1JSk6CbYEf0-OvWaQw0CjLv9tUk1mhtPHA#

> http://tinyurl.com/4vm2e
>
> He'd better be committed to helping me through labor, since it took us so
blooming long to get pregnant! (15 years, 2 rounds of IVF, including ovarian
hyperstimulation so bad that I had to be hospitalized, and two frozen embryo
transfers). After everything we've been through together, I think he knows
exactly how to comfort me! :-) Neither of us has any clue as to how
labor and delivery will go, and so I wish I had hired a doula so that I
would have someone trained and experienced to help me through labor.

lisa
micksmom
2 1/2 years old!
baby boy 2 due: 2-8-05

Larry McMahan
January 24th 05, 02:30 AM
OK YAMTP (yet another me too post)

I cannot state how strongly I agree with Ericka.

Homebirth has been "desocialized" as some evil or crazy activity
that only crazy people of people with an unpopular social agenda would
consider. This characterization has been created by a powerful medical
establishment that has its own economic interest at heart, and they have
used lies, misconceptions, and all sorts of unsubstantiated and disingenuous
propaganda to sell their set of lies.

This set of lies has become so pervasive that it has become the social norm
despite the research evidence being against it for the entire time. The lie
is
propagated by the OB community, insurance companies who decide what
care will be paid for, and governments who decide what care is LEGAL!

Given that it has become the social norm for over 7 decades, it requires a
strong and concerted voice exposing the untruths, and pointing out the
good medical research the clearly describes the ways in which the birth
experience could be better with care that is at the same time more in tune
with the birth process itself and is more humanistic in its application.

If you are truly unalterably homebirth, and it is on an emotional, rather
than
intellectual level, I ask you to examine your views and see if you have been
"socialized" by the decades of lies that the obstetric community has spewed
out to protect their economic position.

Larry

"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Kelly wrote:
>
> > I am all for
> > homebirths for those that choose it and it is a great choice to have
> > available.
>
> Sorry, forgot to add that I agree with this, but I think it
> is a reflection of the belief that homebirth is unsafe that the
> care providers most likely to do homebirths are *illegal* in many
> parts of the US.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Renee
January 24th 05, 03:10 AM
NotMyRealName wrote:
> > I don't see the difference between the options given by one
caregiver
> > with an economic interest and another caregiver with a similar
economic
> > interest. Or from the unassisted mother who wants to believe that
her
> > decision is the best. Everyone has an agenda.
> >
> You probably know this, but from the way you wrote that, it sounds
like
> you're assuming that all homebirths are unassisted births. That's
not at
> all true. Yes, there are people who do birth at home, unassisted,
but many
> (most?) homebirthers have a midwife in attendance. I'm personally
not
> comfortable giving birth at home unassisted (not at this point --
talk to me
> again after I've had a few more babies, and maybe I will be), but I
feel
> totally comfortable giving birth at home with a midwife in
attendance.

> But yes, I agree that a woman should give birth wherever she's most
> comfortable. I also think that sometimes the alternatives to
hospital (ie
> birth center and homebirth) are presented inaccurately, so women
perceive
> them to be less safe and are therefore less comfortable with them.
>
> --
> -Sara:)
> Mommy to DD, 2 3/4
> And Someone Due 2/05

No, I understand that many (or most?) home births are assisted. I was
trying to phrase it in three different options: hospital, midwife , or
unassisted as choice.

Renee

Renee
January 24th 05, 03:11 AM
wrote:
> > I don't see the difference between the options given by one
caregiver
> > with an economic interest and another caregiver with a similar
> economic
> > interest. Or from the unassisted mother who wants to believe that
her
> > decision is the best. Everyone has an agenda.
>
> I think the unassisted mother would have the same agenda as you;
wants
> to feel the most comfortable.
>
> KC

Of course. Like I said, everyone has an agenda. :)

Renee

Renee
January 24th 05, 03:14 AM
Ericka Kammerer wrote:
> Renee wrote:
>
> > I don't see the difference between the options given by one
caregiver
> > with an economic interest and another caregiver with a similar
economic
> > interest. Or from the unassisted mother who wants to believe that
her
> > decision is the best. Everyone has an agenda.
>
> The difference is in which provider has more power to
> put out their message.
>
> Best wishes
> Ericka

Yeah, I see that. There is more pressure against those who want to
home birth or use a birth center than those who want to give birth at a
hospital. I just didn't appreciate being told that I chose to give
birth at a hospital because I've been brain-washed by the evil OBs (in
other words).

Renee

Ericka Kammerer
January 24th 05, 04:04 AM
Renee wrote:

> Yeah, I see that. There is more pressure against those who want to
> home birth or use a birth center than those who want to give birth at a
> hospital. I just didn't appreciate being told that I chose to give
> birth at a hospital because I've been brain-washed by the evil OBs (in
> other words).

I can certainly understand that. Even if the vast majority
don't consider homebirth because they've been socialized against it
(not that there need be evil intent for that to happen), that doesn't
mean that there aren't some who know the score and simply have a
preference to do otherwise. I'd be pleased as punch for folks
to make an informed choice against homebirth if it meant that
more people actually had the information! ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Kelly
January 24th 05, 06:08 AM
Oh, I can see how spouses would disagree. Even though homebirths are not
easy to come by here, most of us know it exists and if there were more
providers willing to do them, I think our numbers would go *way* up. Just a
feeling I get from around here. I think that is why our hospitals are so
open and willing to water births and other "alternatives" in birth.

Kelly

"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Kelly wrote:
>
>> Do many people waffle on the two? It would seem to me that those that
>> want a homebirth have strong, solid feelings about it.
>
> That's because right now, only those crazy people who
> are practically rabid about it even consider it. There are
> likely lots of people who *would* choose homebirth if they
> knew it was an option, knew of local care providers who
> attended homebirths, knew others who had done it, hadn't
> been socialized to believe it's crazy/wrong/unsafe, didn't
> have lots of misconceptions about it (attendants aren't
> sufficiently trained, leaves a mess in the house, only for
> earthy-crunchy folk, only for those with an incredibly
> high pain threshhold, etc.).
> And even aside from that, yes, of those who consider
> it, many do waffle or have spouses who aren't completely on
> board.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Kelly
January 24th 05, 06:12 AM
Heehee, I live in a rather liberal area and I know that homebirths would
increase if there were more providers available for it ;) I used to work at
a free standing birth center that was fabulous, unfortunately it closed, but
then a lot of the area hospitals started offering water births and welcoming
alternatives in birth. We have many many midwife clinics and that gives
quite an influence at the hospitals, too. Sadly, homebirths just are not
prevalent due to the low volume of providers.

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Kelly wrote:
>
>> I think a lot of people that choose a hospital birth *know* in their
>> heart that homebirths are safe, but don't see it as a desire for
>> themselves or are not willing/wanting to go down that road. Some places,
>> like where I live, it is difficult to find a homebirth care provider. I
>> also believe there are many places where finding a decent hospital is
>> difficult. I am all for homebirths for those that choose it and it is a
>> great choice to have available.
>
> I certainly agree that homebirth care providers can be difficult
> to find (or expensive, if you have insurance that covers hospital birth
> but not homebirth). However, I don't agree that lots of people know
> homebirth to be safe but just don't choose it for themselves. I think
> the overwhelming majority of folks in the US believe homebirth to be
> unsafe relative to hospital birth, even for healthy women with a
> normal pregnancy.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Kelly
January 24th 05, 06:13 AM
<eyeroll> Illegal? Doesn't that just make you, well, roll your eyes? ya,
I'm gonna go against the law and give birth at home. Heeheehee..... :)

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Kelly wrote:
>
>> I am all for homebirths for those that choose it and it is a great choice
>> to have available.
>
> Sorry, forgot to add that I agree with this, but I think it
> is a reflection of the belief that homebirth is unsafe that the
> care providers most likely to do homebirths are *illegal* in many
> parts of the US.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Kelly
January 24th 05, 06:17 AM
You want to hear weird? The one OB at the hospital I work at that backs
home births is the one OB that I don't think I'd let touch me. It is so
strange to us that he is the one that handles all the transfers. Oddly
enough, he does such a nice job with the families and we hear good feedback
from them (like how shocked they are that we really suport them and do
everthing possible to keep their control and to have a vagial birth) Still,
it has always baffled me who the back up OB is.....

Kelly

"Larry McMahan" > wrote in message
> OK YAMTP (yet another me too post)
>
> I cannot state how strongly I agree with Ericka.
>
> Homebirth has been "desocialized" as some evil or crazy activity
> that only crazy people of people with an unpopular social agenda would
> consider. This characterization has been created by a powerful medical
> establishment that has its own economic interest at heart, and they have
> used lies, misconceptions, and all sorts of unsubstantiated and
> disingenuous
> propaganda to sell their set of lies.
>
> This set of lies has become so pervasive that it has become the social
> norm
> despite the research evidence being against it for the entire time. The
> lie
> is
> propagated by the OB community, insurance companies who decide what
> care will be paid for, and governments who decide what care is LEGAL!
>
> Given that it has become the social norm for over 7 decades, it requires a
> strong and concerted voice exposing the untruths, and pointing out the
> good medical research the clearly describes the ways in which the birth
> experience could be better with care that is at the same time more in tune
> with the birth process itself and is more humanistic in its application.
>
> If you are truly unalterably homebirth, and it is on an emotional, rather
> than
> intellectual level, I ask you to examine your views and see if you have
> been
> "socialized" by the decades of lies that the obstetric community has
> spewed
> out to protect their economic position.
>
> Larry
>
> "Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
>> Kelly wrote:
>>
>> > I am all for
>> > homebirths for those that choose it and it is a great choice to have
>> > available.
>>
>> Sorry, forgot to add that I agree with this, but I think it
>> is a reflection of the belief that homebirth is unsafe that the
>> care providers most likely to do homebirths are *illegal* in many
>> parts of the US.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Ericka

Renee
January 24th 05, 03:15 PM
Ericka Kammerer wrote:
> Renee wrote:
>
> > Yeah, I see that. There is more pressure against those who want to
> > home birth or use a birth center than those who want to give birth
at a
> > hospital. I just didn't appreciate being told that I chose to give
> > birth at a hospital because I've been brain-washed by the evil OBs
(in
> > other words).
>
> I can certainly understand that. Even if the vast majority
> don't consider homebirth because they've been socialized against it
> (not that there need be evil intent for that to happen), that doesn't
> mean that there aren't some who know the score and simply have a
> preference to do otherwise. I'd be pleased as punch for folks
> to make an informed choice against homebirth if it meant that
> more people actually had the information! ;-)
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

It might be that home births or at least midwives become more
necessary in the near future. I say that because the number of OBs are
going down. It could be that soon most women give birth with a midwife
(in a center, hospital, or home), and only those with risky pregnancies
actually use OBs.

Renee

Ericka Kammerer
January 24th 05, 05:00 PM
Kelly wrote:

> <eyeroll> Illegal? Doesn't that just make you, well, roll your eyes? ya,
> I'm gonna go against the law and give birth at home. Heeheehee..... :)

Well, technically, it's the care providers who are illegal,
rather than birthing at home, but the whole thing does **** me off
pretty royally, especially since I live in a state where DEMs are
illegal! ;-) Makes me want to go strangle a few lawmakers, or at
least tie them up and make them listen to sense!

Best wishes,
Ericka

Ericka Kammerer
January 24th 05, 05:04 PM
Renee wrote:

> It might be that home births or at least midwives become more
> necessary in the near future. I say that because the number of OBs are
> going down. It could be that soon most women give birth with a midwife
> (in a center, hospital, or home), and only those with risky pregnancies
> actually use OBs.

That may happen, but honestly, if it does I'll bet you
dollars to doughnuts that the midwives that fill this void
will be hospital-birthing CNMs who are primarily oriented
towards the medical model of care. (That's not to say that
all CNMs are that way, just that I think those will be the
ones who will fill this void.) I don't think the demand is
there for homebirth, except in relatively isolated areas/
incidents. Frankly, I don't think we're even going to see
much of an increase in demand for freestanding birth centers
either. I think the market is going to stay in the hospital
and in hospital "birthing centers."

Best wishes,
Ericka

SandyofGreatExpectations
January 24th 05, 07:49 PM
ERICA: Great advice with your lists of "to-do's" in the hospital for
Elle!

To your great, long list, I'd also add: Don't let them pop your bag of
waters if it hasn't already burst. The procedures is officially known
as "amnio" or "amniocentesis." It's painless, and a device like a
crochet hook is used. Many docs have routine orders for it to be done
when you're admitted. Although having an amnio speeds up your labor,
which hospitals like, a broken water bag commits you to having your
baby within 24 hours, "no matter what" in most places, which may mean
more pressure to be "pitted" (have Pitocin that makes your womb
contract harder and more frequently). It also takes away your baby's
head cushion. Just ask that your "waters" be allowed to pop on its own
during the course of labor.

Also, when it comes to pushing the baby out, don't fall for "pushy
nurses" who turn themselves into drill sargeants in order to have a
sense of control over your labor. They'll tell you to hold your breath
for their count of ten, and will be yelling at you:
push...push...PUSH!!! That's called the "Valsalva maneuver," or
"purple pushing," and it's now thought to be physiologically unsound
for both mother and baby.

Just push when you get the urge, or in light, momentary bursts as your
body dictates. You may not be able to feel the pushing urge if you've
had an epidural, but a sensitive nurse, midwife or doula will help you
determine when your uterus is hardening so you can "help out." And,
don't let "helpers" pull your legs apart any further than you would
separate them normally during the pushing stage. Sometimes bystanders
get overly enthusiastic, and it can sure make you ache later!

Good luck!

Sandy Jones (author of GREAT EXPECTATIONS, YOUR ALL-IN-ONE RESOURCE FOR
PREGNANCY & CHILDBIRTH - Barnes & Noble, www.bn.com - searchword
"pregnancy.")

Ericka Kammerer
January 24th 05, 08:08 PM
SandyofGreatExpectations wrote:

> Don't let them pop your bag of
> waters if it hasn't already burst. The procedures is officially known
> as "amnio" or "amniocentesis."

I think the terms you want are AROM (artificial rupture of
membranes) or amniotomy.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Larry McMahan
January 25th 05, 12:53 AM
Kelly > writes:
: Do many people waffle on the two? It would seem to me that those that want
: a homebirth have strong, solid feelings about it.

I think this applies to the people who actually wind up choosing
homebirth.

I think there are a lot of women who *would like* a homebirth, but
who are talked out of it by medical professionals who make it sound
foolhardy and dangerous (both lies), and by scared husbands who do
not understand that high-tech is not always better.

I think it is important to counter the professional lies and to
educated the scared ignorant husbands.

Larry

Larry McMahan
January 25th 05, 01:10 AM
Renee > writes:

: Yeah, I see that. There is more pressure against those who want to
: home birth or use a birth center than those who want to give birth at a
: hospital. I just didn't appreciate being told that I chose to give
: birth at a hospital because I've been brain-washed by the evil OBs (in
: other words).

Well, maybe you have, and maybe you haven't. :-) Um, let's rephrase
that. You may not have based your decison on either misinformation
promulgated by ACOG and other "official" obstetrics organization, and
you may not have been socialized into being in favor of hospital birth
because it is the social norm and women who choose to ignore that norm
are ridiculed, and you may not have been intimidated by laws that nake
finding caregivers willing to birth at home more difficult, but there
are many more women who have.

Just because you personally make a conscious decision to birth in a
hospital does not mean that it is a level playing field (which means
equally accurate and persuasive information is equally available from
both sides of the argument), because it is NOT. The deficiencies of
hospital birth are glossed over by the medical establishment, and its
advantages are magnified beyond all proportion. And since it is the
social norm, this is the message that carries the day in the commercial
media.

Women do not have the balanced infomation to make an informed decision,
until they do, there are hundreds of thousands of women who currently
choose hospitals that might well do otherwise if they had accurate
information. As long as the popular information is so unbalance it
is critical to strongly and emphaticallty state the information that
is being ignored or glossed over by the established media.

Larry