PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about drums?

Moon Shyne
February 16th 05, 01:44 AM
I have a teenager who wants to learn to play drums - and while I can handle the
monthly cost for the lessons, I'm loathe to purchase any of the drums or
practice sets, at a cost of $200-$600 until I know if she's going to stick with
it.

Anyone know anything about renting such equipment, or any other pointers? I've
already had her calling around to find out as much info as possible, and I think
this weekend we'll hit a couple of the music shops to see what the equipment
looks like and the availability of rentals. Anything else I should be
investigating?

Thanks in advance

xkatx
February 16th 05, 05:30 AM
"Moon Shyne" > wrote in message
>I have a teenager who wants to learn to play drums - and while I can handle
>the
> monthly cost for the lessons, I'm loathe to purchase any of the drums or
> practice sets, at a cost of $200-$600 until I know if she's going to stick
> with
> it.
>
> Anyone know anything about renting such equipment, or any other pointers?
> I've
> already had her calling around to find out as much info as possible, and I
> think
> this weekend we'll hit a couple of the music shops to see what the
> equipment
> looks like and the availability of rentals. Anything else I should be
> investigating?
>
> Thanks in advance

I played drums for about 8 years. Lessons for about 6 of those years. My
parents were hesitant to go off and spent money on a new and very costly
drum set as well, but they ended up finding a nice set in the paper that was
for sale, and I believe they got a good price on it because the previous
owners of the set had went out, bought drums and lost interest quickly.
They ended up paying a fraction for a basically new set that was really
gently "used".

My next set was a brand new one that we bought from a store, and my parents,
when I first came up with the insane idea of playing drums, they said if I
stuck with it and kept interest, when they bought the used one, in 6 months
they would pay 1/3 of the cost of the drum kit I had wanted. Half a year
later, I had saved my money and my parents were good on their half of the
bargain since I had been good for mine.

After a few years of keeping at it, I struck it rich when I gave a friend a
scratch ticket for his birthday and he won something like $15,000 on it. He
had wanted to split the money that he won with me, since I had bought the
winning ticket, and since I told him I bought it for him with the hopes that
he would win, I didn't want the money, and if he really felt the need to
split, I told him to just give me my 2$ back that I paid. He ended up
buying me a drum set, brand new and quite expensive, off a druggie who, I
hear, wanted a quick fix, for next to nothing, and put 2 dollars in the bass
drum as a gift.

So, I'm not suggesting you go out looking for some junkie who has a drum kit
of any sort, but definitely keep an eye out for sales, and here there's
always sales on last years' models, and check out the classifieds. Here,
the Bargain Finder has column after column of instruments for sale, and
often, if you always keep an eye out, you'll stumble into a really good
deal.

Buut... From personal experience, if she's willing and wanting to learn,
support that in any way you can, and if it means going for a used, smaller
and simple 5-piece kit to start off, look for a good deal and then maybe in
a bit of time, put the money up for a decent kit that still won't totally
break the bank. Good luck with it, and instead of spending the 1000's of
dollars for that really, really nice, expensive, top-of-the-line set every
drummer wants, put it towards sound proofing a drum room ;)

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Moon Shyne
February 16th 05, 10:49 AM
"'Kate" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:44:33 -0600, "Moon Shyne"
> > wrote:
>
> >I have a teenager who wants to learn to play drums - and while I can handle
the
> >monthly cost for the lessons, I'm loathe to purchase any of the drums or
> >practice sets, at a cost of $200-$600 until I know if she's going to stick
with
> >it.
> >
> >Anyone know anything about renting such equipment, or any other pointers?
I've
> >already had her calling around to find out as much info as possible, and I
think
> >this weekend we'll hit a couple of the music shops to see what the equipment
> >looks like and the availability of rentals. Anything else I should be
> >investigating?
> >
> >Thanks in advance
>
> Earplugs? The lease where you live now?

LOL!! We have these downstairs neighbors, they give us nothing but grief - if
any of us WALK too loud, they bang on the ceiling....... so we went to Limewire
and downloaded that old Tony Orlando song "Knock Three Times (on the
ceiling)".....

I checked eBay, if I just get the practice pads, that'll keep the cost down and
the noise down, at least long enough to see if she's going to stick with it -
since we've already been through 2 or 3 other instruments, I'm going to keep
some healthy scepticism, at least for the moment...

> Check ebay, local for sale ads, and music stores for used equipment.
> It may be cheaper to buy it than to rent even for a short time. I
> don't even know if there is such a thing as a month to month music
> equipment rental. The ones through schools are year-long.

Yeah..... this weekend we're checking out the music stores, and I'll start
scoping out the classifieds..... thanks for the advice

> <shrug>
> Beats me.
> 'Kate

February 17th 05, 01:14 AM
"Moon Shyne" > wrote in message
> I have a teenager who wants to learn to play drums - and while I can handle
the
> monthly cost for the lessons, I'm loathe to purchase any of the drums or
> practice sets, at a cost of $200-$600 until I know if she's going to stick
with
> it.
>
> Anyone know anything about renting such equipment, or any other pointers?
I've
> already had her calling around to find out as much info as possible, and I
think
> this weekend we'll hit a couple of the music shops to see what the equipment
> looks like and the availability of rentals. Anything else I should be
> investigating?
>
> Thanks in advance

They are very very loud.
tee hee

"I have learned silence from the talkative; tolerance from the intolerant
and kindness from the unkind. I should not be ungrateful to those teachers"
Kahilil Gibran

Cele
February 17th 05, 03:01 AM
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:28:37 GMT, 'Kate > wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:44:33 -0600, "Moon Shyne"
> wrote:
>
>>I have a teenager who wants to learn to play drums - and while I can handle the
>>monthly cost for the lessons, I'm loathe to purchase any of the drums or
>>practice sets, at a cost of $200-$600 until I know if she's going to stick with
>>it.
>>
>>Anyone know anything about renting such equipment, or any other pointers? I've
>>already had her calling around to find out as much info as possible, and I think
>>this weekend we'll hit a couple of the music shops to see what the equipment
>>looks like and the availability of rentals. Anything else I should be
>>investigating?
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>
>Earplugs? The lease where you live now?
>
>Check ebay, local for sale ads, and music stores for used equipment.
>It may be cheaper to buy it than to rent even for a short time. I
>don't even know if there is such a thing as a month to month music
>equipment rental. The ones through schools are year-long.
>
><shrug>
>Beats me.
>'Kate

Call a music shop. In our house we've at various times rented violins,
clarinets & flutes. I'm sure they rent drums as well. It's Ward's
Music here, but I've got no idea what it is where you are. Try typing
in your town name, & "drum rental" & see what you get.

Just BTW, practically *all* teenagers want to learn drums at some
point. You're very wise to try it out before dropping too much cash.

It'll be helpful if you live on an acreage.....

Cele

February 17th 05, 03:05 PM
"'Kate" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 01:14:32 GMT, "V" > wrote:
>

> >"Moon Shyne" > wrote in message
> >> I have a teenager who wants to learn to play drums - and while I can
handle
> >the
> >> monthly cost for the lessons, I'm loathe to purchase any of the drums or
> >> practice sets, at a cost of $200-$600 until I know if she's going to
stick
> >with
> >> it.
> >>
> >> Anyone know anything about renting such equipment, or any other pointers?
> >I've
> >> already had her calling around to find out as much info as possible, and
> >think
> >> this weekend we'll hit a couple of the music shops to see what the
equipment
> >> looks like and the availability of rentals. Anything else I should be
> >> investigating?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance
> >>

> >They are very very loud.
> >tee hee
>
> LOL.. and they go "boom boom boom *tsing* boom"

Must
stop
the
banging.....
argh......

"If we do not maintain justice, justice will not maintain us."
-Francis Bacon, Sr.