PDA

View Full Version : Induction went well!

Elle
February 24th 05, 10:13 PM
Stella Joy Rossi arrived yesterday (February 23rd at 6:50 am) after an
induced labour. She weighed 8 lbs 7 oz and is 20 inches long. She is
gorgeous and fiesty.

The longer story is that I was induced at 40w 6d for low amniotic
fluid. I was comfortable that the decision to induce was the right one
was regretted that she wasn't making an appearance under her own steam.
Also I was nervous that the induction would fail and I would end up
with a c-section.

So my husband and I went in to the hospital at 1:30 on Tuesday the 22nd
trying to maintain a positive outlook. I was 3cm dilated and 90%
effaced. At 2pm IV antibiotics were started to treat my GBS. I did hate
the IV, but it was inevitable under these particular circumstances. I'd
get a fresh infusion of penicillin every four hours throughout the
labour. At 3:30 my doctor broke my membranes, which was pretty
unpleasant. There wasn't much fluid, and we all had a bit of a
discussion about whether it looked meconium stained. We decided it
looked clear. At 4pm the oxytocin drip was started up and contractions
began to get serious within 15 minutes. Every half-hour, pretty much,
we'd turn up the oxytocin.

My nurse was awesome, I am so happy we have one-on-one care. We tried
all kinds of tricks for coping with the contractions -- positions,
birth ball (which I hated, I was disappointed to discover),
visualization. My favorite was side lying with with my husband kind of
hugging me around the shoulder and hip. Weird but it felt like since he
was holding me together I could kind of relax, and when I wasn't as
tense the contractions were more manageable.

Not manageable enough, though. By 9pm there was no break at all between
the contractions and I was pretty much zoning out to cope. I was at
4cm. So we called for the epidural, which I need to take a minute here
to describe because it was such a surprising experience. The insertion
was painless after the injection of local, but what really surprised me
was how I could still feel things -- like my legs, and the baby
moving/hiccuping etc inside me, as well as the pressure from the
contractions -- but just without the pain. I thought I would be a lot
more numb, but that wasn't the case. I delivered at a large teaching
hospital, so I imagine that this kind of epidural isn't commonly
available, and the anesthetist mentioned that occasionally due to a
particular woman's physiology it will be more numbing but that that was
rare. I did ask what was in it, but can't remember now what it was.
Anyway I could still totally move around (and pee) much to my surprise,
which was good because the baby was a bit high and posterior so we were
trying to encourage her to turn the rest of the way (which she did).

OK so I got the epidural and my husband and I tried to get some rest in
so we'd have some energy for pushing. I was checked around midnight and
was 6-7cm. At 3 am at the height of our tiredness I reached 10 cm, but
baby was still high so we decided to wait a bit and let the
contractions do the work of moving her down until I felt more pushy. At
5:30 am I started trying to push her out, and was quickly rewarded by
my husband telling me he could see the top of her head and she had lots
of hair.

The little bugger got stuck around my pubic bone though, so after a
half hour trying to shift her we called for reinforcements and my OB
came in (along with the resident and a medical student, I am always
happy to provide a learning opportunity LOL) and they all studied the
situation and decided to apply a little suction. I confirmed that there
wasn't some esoteric position that we hadn't already attempted which we
might use to try to dislodge her, so out came a suction cup with handle
which was stuck on her head, some judicious manipulating by chief
resident (he ain't the chief for nothing) and a minute later the hurdle
was breached, her head slid out with her hand up by her face (thank you
Dr. C, don't think I didn't notice you down there applying
counterpressure to my perineum -- I only suffered a tiny tear), and
pretty quickly the rest of her came sliding out. What a weird
sensation, to suddenly be all empty.

She just cried a bit when she was plopped on my chest for some
skin-to-skin and my husband and I looked into her bright eyes and
crooned at her for about an hour. She was really alert and rooted for
the breast so I just put her to it and away she went. I must say she
was lovely freshly born, all silky with little rolls of chubb around
her wrists and thighs.

Meanwhile I was asked to give a little push and the placenta came out.
The resident and student repaired the small tear (I think one or two
stitches) under my OBs supervision. And then the three of us were left
alone until about 8 am when she was weighed and dressed in her little
shirt and diaper.

She's a super nurser and we're both doin well so we stayed the night,
and ae happily home!

Elle
and baby Stella

Welches
February 24th 05, 10:29 PM
"Elle" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Stella Joy Rossi arrived yesterday (February 23rd at 6:50 am) after an
> induced labour. She weighed 8 lbs 7 oz and is 20 inches long. She is
> gorgeous and fiesty.
>

> She's a super nurser and we're both doin well so we stayed the night,
> and ae happily home!
>
> Elle
> and baby Stella

Congratulations!
Debbie

February 24th 05, 10:31 PM
Elle wrote:
> Stella Joy Rossi arrived yesterday (February 23rd at 6:50 am) after
an
> induced labour. She weighed 8 lbs 7 oz and is 20 inches long. She is
> gorgeous and fiesty.

What a great name!!! I know you didn't want to be induced,
necessarily, but I am so happy for you that you didn't have to have a
c-section.

Congratulations!!!

Amy

Melania
February 24th 05, 10:50 PM
Elle wrote:
> Stella Joy Rossi arrived yesterday (February 23rd at 6:50 am) after
an
> induced labour. She weighed 8 lbs 7 oz and is 20 inches long. She is
> gorgeous and fiesty.

Congratulations!! And what a gorgeous name.

> The longer story is that I was induced at 40w 6d for low amniotic
> fluid. I was comfortable that the decision to induce was the right
one
> was regretted that she wasn't making an appearance under her own
steam.
> Also I was nervous that the induction would fail and I would end up
> with a c-section.
>
> So my husband and I went in to the hospital at 1:30 on Tuesday the
22nd
> trying to maintain a positive outlook. I was 3cm dilated and 90%
> effaced. At 2pm IV antibiotics were started to treat my GBS. I did
hate
> the IV, but it was inevitable under these particular circumstances.
I'd
> get a fresh infusion of penicillin every four hours throughout the
> labour. At 3:30 my doctor broke my membranes, which was pretty
> unpleasant. There wasn't much fluid, and we all had a bit of a
> discussion about whether it looked meconium stained. We decided it
> looked clear. At 4pm the oxytocin drip was started up and
contractions
> began to get serious within 15 minutes. Every half-hour, pretty much,
> we'd turn up the oxytocin.

BTDT . . . with the drip, that is, not the rest. It was to augment
labour.

> My nurse was awesome, I am so happy we have one-on-one care. We tried
> all kinds of tricks for coping with the contractions -- positions,
> birth ball (which I hated, I was disappointed to discover),
> visualization. My favorite was side lying with with my husband kind
of
> hugging me around the shoulder and hip. Weird but it felt like since
he
> was holding me together I could kind of relax, and when I wasn't as
> tense the contractions were more manageable.
>
> Not manageable enough, though. By 9pm there was no break at all
between
> the contractions and I was pretty much zoning out to cope. I was at
> 4cm.

Exactly what happened with my oxytocin augmentation.

So we called for the epidural, which I need to take a minute here
> to describe because it was such a surprising experience. The
insertion
> was painless after the injection of local, but what really surprised
me
> was how I could still feel things -- like my legs, and the baby
> moving/hiccuping etc inside me, as well as the pressure from the
> contractions -- but just without the pain. I thought I would be a lot
> more numb, but that wasn't the case.

Yes, yes, yes! After they got my epidural in, I slept for 2 hours. They
woke me up b/c of fetal heart decelerations (which, it turned out, was
my heart and not his - he'd moved so the monitor wasn't picking up his
heart anymore). They attached a heart monitor to his scalp, and I
remember being able to feel the cord of the monitor tickling the inside
of my thigh! I could feel my contractions really clearly, just no more
pain. Having that sensitivity meant that when the doctor touched me and
said "push into *here*", I could do it!

> [...]
> sensation, to suddenly be all empty.
>
> She just cried a bit when she was plopped on my chest for some
> skin-to-skin and my husband and I looked into her bright eyes and
> crooned at her for about an hour. She was really alert and rooted for
> the breast so I just put her to it and away she went. I must say she
> was lovely freshly born, all silky with little rolls of chubb around
> her wrists and thighs.
>
> Meanwhile I was asked to give a little push and the placenta came
out.
> The resident and student repaired the small tear (I think one or two
> stitches) under my OBs supervision. And then the three of us were
left
> alone until about 8 am when she was weighed and dressed in her little
> shirt and diaper.
>
> She's a super nurser and we're both doin well so we stayed the night,

What a wonderful birth story, Elle! Welcome, baby Stella, and
congratulations again to your family!

Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005)

Tori M.
February 24th 05, 10:55 PM
Congrats! I am glad things went realivly well:)

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/02
Xavier 10/04

Emily
February 25th 05, 12:00 AM
Congrats Elle and welcome Stella. I'm so glad
you had a good experience! (And it's just *lovely*
for me to hear a story involving low amniotic fluid
that turned out so beautifully.)

Emily

Elle
February 25th 05, 12:15 AM
Emily wrote:
> Congrats Elle and welcome Stella. I'm so glad
> you had a good experience! (And it's just *lovely*
> for me to hear a story involving low amniotic fluid
> that turned out so beautifully.)
>
> Emily

I never felt very fluid-y throughout the pregnancy -- I'm sure my
levels were in the range of normal up until then end but my intuition
is that it was always on the low end of normal.

Elle
and Stella born 2/23/2005

Elle
February 25th 05, 12:20 AM
Melania wrote:
> Yes, yes, yes! After they got my epidural in, I slept for 2 hours.
They
> woke me up b/c of fetal heart decelerations (which, it turned out,
was
> my heart and not his - he'd moved so the monitor wasn't picking up
his
> heart anymore). They attached a heart monitor to his scalp, and I
> remember being able to feel the cord of the monitor tickling the
inside
> of my thigh! I could feel my contractions really clearly, just no
more
> pain. Having that sensitivity meant that when the doctor touched me
and
> said "push into *here*", I could do it!

Isn't it cool? If I had had more time & a greater attention span I
would have demanded an explanation of how it precisely works.

I also required constant electronic fetal monitoring due to the
oxytocin and was worried about the implications but apart of the sweaty
bands annoying me towards the end it wasn't a problem because luckily
the nurse had endless patience in readjusting them as needed when I
changed position.

> What a wonderful birth story, Elle! Welcome, baby Stella, and
> congratulations again to your family!

Thanks!

Melania
February 25th 05, 12:39 AM
Ericka Kammerer wrote:
> Elle wrote:
>

> > Isn't it cool? If I had had more time & a greater attention span I
> > would have demanded an explanation of how it precisely works.
>
> Most likely it's that they used only narcotics in
> the epidural, rather than anesthetics or a combination of
> narcotics and anesthetics. This has been around quite a
> while, but has fallen out of favor in many places because
> it has a higher rate of providing inadequate pain relief
> (though obviously it works well for some).
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Really? I always thought narcotics would produce some kind of doped up
feeling - - I felt very lucid, alert, and in control of my faculties.
Maybe I've misunderstood the implications.

Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005)

sharalyns
February 25th 05, 12:42 AM
Congratulations and welcome baby Stella!!!

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James (9/21/01)

Anne Rogers
February 25th 05, 12:47 AM
congratulations, I'm glad it all went well, the fact you could still walk
suggests you may have had the type that goes a layer deeper into the spinal
column, even with the normal type you can often still feel quite a lot, I
certainly did.

Congratulations

Anne

Ericka Kammerer
February 25th 05, 12:47 AM
Elle wrote:

> Isn't it cool? If I had had more time & a greater attention span I
> would have demanded an explanation of how it precisely works.

Most likely it's that they used only narcotics in
the epidural, rather than anesthetics or a combination of
narcotics and anesthetics. This has been around quite a
while, but has fallen out of favor in many places because
it has a higher rate of providing inadequate pain relief
(though obviously it works well for some).

Best wishes,
Ericka

NotMyRealName
February 25th 05, 01:01 AM
congrats! i love her name -- joy is my middle name, and it's so appropriate
for a new baby! glad things went well!

--
-Sara:)
Mommy to DD, 3 Very Soon

"Elle" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> [...]
> pretty quickly the rest of her came sliding out. What a weird
> sensation, to suddenly be all empty.
>
> She just cried a bit when she was plopped on my chest for some
> skin-to-skin and my husband and I looked into her bright eyes and
> crooned at her for about an hour. She was really alert and rooted for
> the breast so I just put her to it and away she went. I must say she
> was lovely freshly born, all silky with little rolls of chubb around
> her wrists and thighs.
>
> Meanwhile I was asked to give a little push and the placenta came out.
> The resident and student repaired the small tear (I think one or two
> stitches) under my OBs supervision. And then the three of us were left
> alone until about 8 am when she was weighed and dressed in her little
> shirt and diaper.
>
> She's a super nurser and we're both doin well so we stayed the night,

Elle
February 25th 05, 01:04 AM
There were definitely two components to the epidural, I remember that
much at least. I'm not sure about the inadequate pain relief part; it
is on a pump so they start you off at a low level, depending on your
level of (dis) comfort, and then if you are in increasing pain you can
hit a button to up the dose, which apparently takes effect in about 5
minutes (I didn't use it).

He did mention that very occasionally they have to "redo" the epidural
cause it doesn't "take" so to speak, but I think that can happen with
any kind.

Elle

Ericka Kammerer
February 25th 05, 01:18 AM
Melania wrote:

> Ericka Kammerer wrote:

>> Most likely it's that they used only narcotics in
>>the epidural, rather than anesthetics or a combination of
>>narcotics and anesthetics. This has been around quite a
>>while, but has fallen out of favor in many places because
>>it has a higher rate of providing inadequate pain relief
>>(though obviously it works well for some).
>
> Really? I always thought narcotics would produce some kind of doped up
> feeling - - I felt very lucid, alert, and in control of my faculties.
> Maybe I've misunderstood the implications.

The narcotic is being injected into your epidural
space, not into your bloodstream. It's much more targeted,
though some still gets into your system and gets to the
baby as well.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Ericka Kammerer
February 25th 05, 01:21 AM
Elle wrote:

> There were definitely two components to the epidural, I remember that
> much at least. I'm not sure about the inadequate pain relief part; it
> is on a pump so they start you off at a low level, depending on your
> level of (dis) comfort, and then if you are in increasing pain you can
> hit a button to up the dose, which apparently takes effect in about 5
> minutes (I didn't use it).

Yeah, there are a bunch of different cocktails they
can use. When you retain as much ability as you did, though,
odds are there wasn't much in the way of an anesthetic in it.

> He did mention that very occasionally they have to "redo" the epidural
> cause it doesn't "take" so to speak, but I think that can happen with
> any kind.

Yep, as can the inadequate pain relief thing. More
people complained of inadequate relief with narcotic-only
epidurals, so they're at a bit higher risk of not providing
enough relief, but it can happen with any epidural (and
the pain relief could be just fine).

Best wishes,
Ericka

arachne
February 25th 05, 04:03 AM
"Elle" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Stella Joy Rossi arrived yesterday (February 23rd at 6:50 am) after an
> induced labour. She weighed 8 lbs 7 oz and is 20 inches long. She is
> gorgeous and fiesty.

congratulations!
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS 20th august 2002
#2 due 14th october 2005

"In these matters the only certainty is that nothing is certain." -- Pliny
the Elder (23 AD - 79 AD)

Rebecca Jo
February 25th 05, 01:32 PM
"Elle" > wrote:

> Stella Joy Rossi arrived yesterday (February 23rd at 6:50 am) after an
> induced labour. She weighed 8 lbs 7 oz and is 20 inches long. She is
> gorgeous and fiesty.

Congratulations. :) :) :) That's a lovely birth story.

Rj

Leslie
February 25th 05, 02:00 PM
Congratulations and welcome to Stella--what a beautiful name!

Leslie

A&G&K&H
February 26th 05, 12:21 AM
"Elle" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Stella Joy Rossi arrived yesterday (February 23rd at 6:50 am) after an
> induced labour. She weighed 8 lbs 7 oz and is 20 inches long. She is
> gorgeous and fiesty.\
snip
> She's a super nurser and we're both doin well so we stayed the night,
> and ae happily home!
>
> Elle
> and baby Stella

Congratulations and welcome to Stella. I'm so pleased to hear the induction
went well and that Stella is bf .
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Chookie
February 26th 05, 11:42 AM
In article om>,
"Elle" > wrote:

> Stella Joy Rossi arrived yesterday (February 23rd at 6:50 am) after an
> induced labour. She weighed 8 lbs 7 oz and is 20 inches long. She is
> gorgeous and fiesty.

Congratulations! Glad everything went so well!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Kelly
February 28th 05, 01:00 AM
Welcome Stella! Congratulations, Elle-I've been thinking of you :)

Kelly
#4 2/15/05

"A&G&K&H" > wrote in message

> "Elle" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Stella Joy Rossi arrived yesterday (February 23rd at 6:50 am) after an
>> induced labour. She weighed 8 lbs 7 oz and is 20 inches long. She is
>> gorgeous and fiesty.\
> snip
>> She's a super nurser and we're both doin well so we stayed the night,
>> and ae happily home!
>>
>> Elle
>> and baby Stella
>>

> Congratulations and welcome to Stella. I'm so pleased to hear the
> induction
> went well and that Stella is bf .
> Amanda
>
> --
> DD 15th August 2002
> 1 tiny angel Nov 2003
> DS 20th August 2004

Kelly
February 28th 05, 03:55 AM
What a nice birth story, Elle. Again, congratulations on Baby Stella. I
adore the name!

Kelly

ups.com...