PDA

View Full Version : Re: My son's first birthday 7-7-

me again
July 1st 03, 01:41 AM
A one year old will not remember their birthday in the future so IMHO I
would save the party for when they are a little older.

For my DS#1's first birthday we had one of his friends around for tea (a
fairly regular 'date' anyway) and had cake and other stuff. He didn't really
notice the difference.

Jane
"me" > wrote in message
> Hey guys, my name is Marcia and I need help! First off I'm a 22 year
> old single parent from the bronx, and my only child is turning 1 on
> July 7th and I have absolutely no idea what to do!!! My son's dad is
> not in the picture and I barely have family so thats a no go but I
> really didn't (nor can I afford) a big party anyhow. I was gonna buy
> some gifts like toys and stuff maybe about 3 or 4 ,about 10 balloons
> and a cake with a disposable camera and celebrate at home with him.
> But I dunno a part of me is saying I'm a horrible parent for not
> planning anything big for him, is this good enough? LoL, I'm really
> interested in you guys ideas maybe what you guys did with your
> children on their first birthday :) I'm sorry to intrude in like this
> but I need help :( I can stick around and give some of my advice as
> well if needed :) Thanks for reading!
>
> Marcia

Jo Thn
July 1st 03, 03:26 AM
Hi Marcia;

My daughter's ten and I'm still trying to figure out what to do for her
first birthday! I've heard it's going to be this way for the rest of my
life: questioning, answering, asking the wrong
questions, thinking I have the answers, realizing I was wrong, thinking
I have better questions, going back to the drawing board, over-thinking,
underthinking, asking the wrong people, not asking the right people,
etc., etc., etc.!!! Hey, I think I'm going to ask my daughter what she
would have liked for her first birthday and then do it now. I'll tell
her I've waited so long because I wanted her opinion......Yep, thank
you, Marcia, for your help. I can only say I wish my mother was as
concerned as you seem to be!

Byron Canfield
July 2nd 03, 04:43 AM
"me again" > wrote in message
> A one year old will not remember their birthday in the future so IMHO I
> would save the party for when they are a little older.

Yes, the party on the first birthday (and second, possibly the third
birthday party, as well), is for the parents, not the child. We had them for
our daughter, but the emphasis was on OUR friends and relatives.

--
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
those who understand binary numbers and those who don't."

MarjiG
July 2nd 03, 11:46 PM
In article >, Penny Gaines
> writes:

>I remember my second birthday. My dad and I took a bus to go and collect
>our new car. It might not sound very exciting to an adult, but it must
>have been to a 2yo, otherwise I wouldn't still remember it.

My older daughter remembers her 2nd birthday. It was a "Lion King" theme, they
made lion masks, and played musical toys. (Small toys in paper bags in a
circle, march around the circle until the music stops, see what's in the
closest bag)

By her 3rd birthday she was planning her own games. (And I was hiring her
pre-teen cousins to come help at the parties.)

-Marjorie