PDA

View Full Version : Induction the old fashion way...

Plissken
February 28th 05, 05:03 AM
I've been searching the internet this evening for natural ways of inducing
labour and I came across this and it made me laugh, thought I'd share...

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/62/71738.htm

"When a pregnant Plains Indian woman was near term and showed no sign of
going into labor, tribe members would tie her to a rock in an open field and
stage a mock "attack," pulling up their horses only at the very last minute,
in hopes of inducing labor. The Pilgrims, for their part, would stand women
whose babies were late against a pole, strap them to it, and pound the pole
up and down against the ground -- apparently hoping to shake the baby
loose."

Mamma Mia
February 28th 05, 05:15 AM
suddenly the pictocin or whatever it is called doesnt sound so bad!

:)

"Plissken" > wrote in message
> I've been searching the internet this evening for natural ways of inducing
> labour and I came across this and it made me laugh, thought I'd share...
>
> http://my.webmd.com/content/article/62/71738.htm
>
> "When a pregnant Plains Indian woman was near term and showed no sign of
> going into labor, tribe members would tie her to a rock in an open field
> and
> stage a mock "attack," pulling up their horses only at the very last
> minute,
> in hopes of inducing labor. The Pilgrims, for their part, would stand
> women
> whose babies were late against a pole, strap them to it, and pound the
> pole
> up and down against the ground -- apparently hoping to shake the baby
> loose."

Jenrose
February 28th 05, 06:50 AM
"Plissken" > wrote in message
> I've been searching the internet this evening for natural ways of inducing
> labour and I came across this and it made me laugh, thought I'd share...
>
> http://my.webmd.com/content/article/62/71738.htm
>
> "When a pregnant Plains Indian woman was near term and showed no sign of
> going into labor, tribe members would tie her to a rock in an open field
> and
> stage a mock "attack," pulling up their horses only at the very last
> minute,
> in hopes of inducing labor. The Pilgrims, for their part, would stand
> women
> whose babies were late against a pole, strap them to it, and pound the
> pole
> up and down against the ground -- apparently hoping to shake the baby
> loose."

Hmmm.
The rest of the article wasn't bad... Sex sure produces contractions, but
no, it hasn't produced *labor* yet, aside from the generative act back in
June, y'know? Nookie can be "good" for 8 hours of strong contractions... but
doesn't throw me "over the edge" into "real" labor. Dangit.

Jenrose

A&G&K&H
February 28th 05, 10:12 AM
"Plissken" > wrote in message
> I've been searching the internet this evening for natural ways of inducing
> labour and I came across this and it made me laugh, thought I'd share...
>
> http://my.webmd.com/content/article/62/71738.htm
>
> "When a pregnant Plains Indian woman was near term and showed no sign of
> going into labor, tribe members would tie her to a rock in an open field
and
> stage a mock "attack," pulling up their horses only at the very last
minute,
> in hopes of inducing labor. The Pilgrims, for their part, would stand
women
> whose babies were late against a pole, strap them to it, and pound the
pole
> up and down against the ground -- apparently hoping to shake the baby
> loose."

Ohh charming!
I remember reading up on natural induction methods when DS wasn't here by
his due date.
I already knew about "natural" methods of putting prostaglandins on the
cervix (i.e. sex), but I reckoned that some bloke must have been having a
joke when I read that "research" showed it worked better if it passed
through the gut first!
I've also heard that having a good long go in a swing can work, and a
midwife I know swears she woke up in the morning and just pushed her baby
out after she took castor oil to coax out her 3rd child.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Plissken
February 28th 05, 04:40 PM
A&G&K&H > wrote in message
> Ohh charming!
> I remember reading up on natural induction methods when DS wasn't here by
> his due date.
> I already knew about "natural" methods of putting prostaglandins on the
> cervix (i.e. sex), but I reckoned that some bloke must have been having a
> joke when I read that "research" showed it worked better if it passed
> through the gut first!
> I've also heard that having a good long go in a swing can work, and a
> midwife I know swears she woke up in the morning and just pushed her baby
> out after she took castor oil to coax out her 3rd child

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/natinduc.html#Oral

Oral Application of Semen

About fellatio: Actually, it would probably be beneficial, if the idea is to
get the labour started. A great OB in Hamilton (John Lamont, I believe)
spoke to our class about sexuality and pregnancy. He mentioned the concept
that prostaglandins are absorbed 10X more efficiently through the gut than
through the vaginal mucosa, with respect to semen and labour onset.
:O :D

Of course it is a man that makes this claim!!!! DH jumped on this bandwagon
though, hee hee.

A&G&K&H
February 28th 05, 09:32 PM
"Plissken" > wrote in message

> http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/natinduc.html#Oral
>
> Oral Application of Semen
>
> About fellatio: Actually, it would probably be beneficial, if the idea is
> get the labour started. A great OB in Hamilton (John Lamont, I believe)
> spoke to our class about sexuality and pregnancy. He mentioned the concept
> that prostaglandins are absorbed 10X more efficiently through the gut than
> through the vaginal mucosa, with respect to semen and labour onset.
> :O :D
>
> Of course it is a man that makes this claim!!!! DH jumped on this
bandwagon
> though, hee hee.

See now that's what I read, but I still reckon its a bloke conspiracy ;)
I was definitely *not in the mood* to try that technique at the time.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003