PDA

View Full Version : Fitting in to new town

TWilson
July 13th 03, 08:52 PM
Hi, we have just moved and our 6 year old daughter is having a hard
time. What is a good way to find friends for her? Tracey

Ann Porter
July 13th 03, 09:39 PM
"TWilson" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi, we have just moved and our 6 year old daughter is having a hard
> time. What is a good way to find friends for her? Tracey

Things will pick up a LOT when school starts. That's just 5 weeks away for
my school-age son!

In the interim, you might want to see if you can get her into some swim
lessons or something that's a group activity for kids her age. A lot of
that sort of thing is booked in advance, so there may not be much
opportunity. You may want to check up on special activities at the local
library, too.

Best,
Ann

dragonlady
July 14th 03, 12:04 AM
In article >,
(TWilson) wrote:

> Hi, we have just moved and our 6 year old daughter is having a hard
> time. What is a good way to find friends for her? Tracey

Start attending the faith community of your choice. I never had much
luck with my kids making friends at "Y" classes or on sports teams, but
they've made many friends at church.

meh

TWilson
July 14th 03, 03:05 AM
(MarjiG) wrote in message >...
> In article >, "Ann Porter"
> > writes:
>
> >Things will pick up a LOT when school starts. That's just 5 weeks away for
> >my school-age son!
>
> Less than 4 for my kids... There were back to school ads in this morning's
> paper.
> If you haven't, get her registered, and try to get a tour of the school.
> >
> >In the interim, you might want to see if you can get her into some swim
> >lessons or something that's a group activity for kids her age. A lot of
> >that sort of thing is booked in advance, so there may not be much
> >opportunity. You may want to check up on special activities at the local
> >library, too.
>
> You might see if local churches are having Vacation Bible School or similar
> acivities.
A retired school teacher next door just gave me a paper for activies
at the churches. It looks interesting. The group activities will be
something she would be interesed in and she loves to read, I will give
that a try, Thanks.
> -Marjorie

just me
July 14th 03, 03:05 AM
"TWilson" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi, we have just moved and our 6 year old daughter is having a hard
> time. What is a good way to find friends for her? Tracey

Along with the other good suggestions: going to the park to play, or the
town pool to swim are often good places to meet new friends. I have also
found that taking an evening walk [stroll] around the neighborhood helps
pinpoints homes with kids and often results in meeting them.

-Aula

---

Bonnie Gokey
July 14th 03, 07:41 PM
Another good option is finding a Mom's play group. The kids might be a bit
younger, but you never know, some times they have kids as old at 10 a those
group meetings. Yahoo has a lot of mailing lists by geographic region and
you might find something near you that would work.
Bonnie

"TWilson" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi, we have just moved and our 6 year old daughter is having a hard
> time. What is a good way to find friends for her? Tracey

Penny Gaines
July 14th 03, 08:15 PM
TWilson wrote in >:

> Hi, we have just moved and our 6 year old daughter is having a hard
> time. What is a good way to find friends for her? Tracey

It can be really tough. I wouldn't neccessarily look for 'friends' just
people to play with.

When we moved the only child we found was a neighbours' kid.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Penny Gaines
July 14th 03, 08:26 PM
MarjiG wrote in >:

>>Things will pick up a LOT when school starts. That's just 5 weeks away
>>for my school-age son!
>
> Less than 4 for my kids... There were back to school ads in this morning's
> paper.

There were "back to school" promotions in our area by last week: and our
schools haven't even broken up for their six week holiday yet.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

just me
July 15th 03, 12:41 PM
"Penny Gaines" > wrote in message
> MarjiG wrote in >:
>
> >>Things will pick up a LOT when school starts. That's just 5 weeks away
> >>for my school-age son!
> >
> > Less than 4 for my kids... There were back to school ads in this
morning's
> > paper.
>
> There were "back to school" promotions in our area by last week: and our
> schools haven't even broken up for their six week holiday yet.

and here in Florida we go back to school during the first 11 days of August,
depending on which County one resides in. I love diversity! You Aussies
out on a mid-winter break, by any chance?

-Aula

---

==Daye==
July 16th 03, 01:03 AM
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:41:30 EDT, "just me"
> wrote:

>You Aussies
>out on a mid-winter break, by any chance?

Victorian schools went back this Monday. It was only a 2 week
break between terms. We have all year school here -- there is no
long summer break.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

TWilson
July 17th 03, 12:18 AM
==Daye== > wrote in message >...
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:41:30 EDT, "just me"
> > wrote:
>
> >You Aussies
> >out on a mid-winter break, by any chance?
>
> Victorian schools went back this Monday. It was only a 2 week
> break between terms. We have all year school here -- there is no
> long summer break.

Sorry I disappeared for a while but I had computer problems. I have
spent time walking the town and have meet a nice woman with a child my
daughter`s age. She is new too. We are becoming good friends. All
the advice has really helped. Tracey(Canadian mom of one.