PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Food Ideas

bookers
March 1st 05, 11:41 PM
Hi

Does anyone have recipes for cheap food ideas, such as dinner.

I am buying a slow cooker/crock pot and would like recipes for anything that
can be cooked in one of these and also just any ideas about cheap meal
ideas.

Chanelle

Elle
March 2nd 05, 12:00 AM
bookers wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anyone have recipes for cheap food ideas, such as dinner.
>
> I am buying a slow cooker/crock pot and would like recipes for
anything that
> can be cooked in one of these and also just any ideas about cheap
meal
> ideas.
>
> Chanelle

You can put an inexpensive cut of beef in your crock pot along with
some quartered potatoes, sliced onions, and carrot chunks. Pour a can
of condensed tomato soup on top. Leave it on low for 8 hours for a
tasty pot roast.

I also like to cook rice using a can of crushed or diced tomatoes
rather than water, then mix the tomato rice with black beans and kidney
beans, maybe some corn too, add some spices to taste and top with
cheese and bake in the oven. Tasty and cheap. Good heated up the next
day.

Elle
Stella 2/23/2005

bookers
March 2nd 05, 12:02 AM
"Elle" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> bookers wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Does anyone have recipes for cheap food ideas, such as dinner.
> >
> > I am buying a slow cooker/crock pot and would like recipes for
> anything that
> > can be cooked in one of these and also just any ideas about cheap
> meal
> > ideas.
> >
> > Chanelle
>
> You can put an inexpensive cut of beef in your crock pot along with
> some quartered potatoes, sliced onions, and carrot chunks. Pour a can
> of condensed tomato soup on top. Leave it on low for 8 hours for a
> tasty pot roast.
>
> I also like to cook rice using a can of crushed or diced tomatoes
> rather than water, then mix the tomato rice with black beans and kidney
> beans, maybe some corn too, add some spices to taste and top with
> cheese and bake in the oven. Tasty and cheap. Good heated up the next
> day.
>
> Elle
> Stella 2/23/2005
> ------------------

Thanks for that idea, will have to try the pot roast sounds like a great
idea.
I am 33 weeks pregnant and have been trying to think of meal ideas that I
can prepare in 10minutes forget about until dinner time.

March 2nd 05, 01:13 AM
There are tons of recipes on line for crockpots (AKA slow cookers).
I've had good luck on this site

http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm

I have a big oval Rival with a timer. As the mother of three who works
full time outside the home, I have to say, it is one terrific
appliance. I frequently load it up the night before with everything but
the meat, then add the meat first thing in the morning and hit the on
button when I go out the door.

One of my kid's favourites is just a plain chicken done in the
crockpot. I just put the chicken in the pot with a cup of water, and
some poultry seasoning, and away it goes. The meat is falling off the
bone moist and tender by dinner time 8 hours later. I mean, you can't
get any simpler than that. Its great for stuff like chicken cacciatore
too.

Mary G.

Maggie
March 2nd 05, 06:33 AM
bookers > spake thusly
>Hi
>
>Does anyone have recipes for cheap food ideas, such as dinner.
>
>I am buying a slow cooker/crock pot and would like recipes for anything that
>can be cooked in one of these and also just any ideas about cheap meal
>ideas.

Get a hogget (or mutton) leg, trim off the fat, place in crockpot,
sprinkle over a packet of onion soup, a tablespoon or two of brown
sugar, and a pinch of paprika. Cook on low for 8-9 hours.

Sausages - throw in crockpot with sliced onions, can of chopped
tomatoes, a little sugar, cup of water, any veges. Cook on low for 8-9
hours.
--
Maggie

Marion
March 2nd 05, 01:17 PM
bookers wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anyone have recipes for cheap food ideas, such as dinner.
>
> I am buying a slow cooker/crock pot and would like recipes for anything that
> can be cooked in one of these and also just any ideas about cheap meal
> ideas.
>
> Chanelle

Brunswick stew... I make a crock pot full then freeze it in the small
plastic containers.. for the size of my pot it makes about 12-13 small
bowls, which was about the size meal I could handle when i was
pregnant... the family recipe calls uses fresh from the garden stuff,
rabbit and venisen, but since I don't have a garden, don't hunt and
don't have time:

small pack of stew beef (i usually cut the pieces in half) browned in a
skillet
two chicken breasts, pre-baked and cubed (if i'm in a hurry, i cheat
and get a rotissary chicken from the grocerty store (not bbq!)
1 can of corn
1 can of creamed corn
1 can of diced tomatoee
1 small pack of frozen okra
1 small pack of frozen butter beans (optional)
3-4 new potatoes, cubed.
about a cup of cubed carrots (or sometimes I just use the peeled baby
carrots)

add everything into the pot except the potatoes. If you like okra,
retain half the okra to add at the end, because what you add at the
beginning will disappear into the stew.

Cook for about 3 hours on high, until the red color from the tomatoes
becomes kind of a light brown. Add the potatoes and okra and cook for
another half hour.

ladle yourself a bowl, crack fresh pepper into, add salt if you like (I
find the rotissarie chicken adds enough salt... have it with saltines
or cornbread. Freeze the rest in small serving size containers, which
you can then pop into the microwave for about 3-4 minutes when hungry.

This is comfort food for me... and it's been grate post-partum since I'm
a single mom... the whole thing takes less than 15 minutes to throw
together, has a good balance of protein, starch, green and yellow
veggies... and it only takes one hand to toss a bowl in teh microwave.

Marion

NotMyRealName
March 5th 05, 04:41 PM
"bookers" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Does anyone have recipes for cheap food ideas, such as dinner.
>
> I am buying a slow cooker/crock pot and would like recipes for anything
> that
> can be cooked in one of these and also just any ideas about cheap meal
> ideas.

i do a lot of pot roast in my crockpot, like another poster mentioned, with
beef, carrots, potatoes/sweet potatoes, onions, mushrooms, sometimes celery,
and a couple of cups of beef broth, plus some black pepper, paprika, and
sometimes minced onion. i also like to put in chicken (breasts, but you can
use whatever parts you like) with spaghetti sauce and italian seasoning on
it; i add sliced onions, green peppers, mushrooms, black olives, whatever i
have around that i'd put in spaghetti sauce. the chicken comes out really
tender, and it's great over wide egg noodles. in fact, i loaded two
crockpots up with spaghetti sauce and a big bag of chicken breasts, and i
had enough for five meals; i froze them in those disposable gladware
containers (these are fabulous) and they, along with other frozen meals,
have been great for postpartum.

--
-Sara:)
Mommy to DD, 3