PDA

View Full Version : Excerpt from a life

Robert Powell
March 2nd 05, 02:09 PM
You know, both Clare and I have some stressful times at work - who doesn't I
here the group cry in unison - and there are time when I in particular lose
discernment between what is important personally and what is important
professionally. Clare seems to be able to make this judgement better than I
can - I'm sure it's something to do with me coming from Mars and her coming
from Venus.

Stress as well all know is not a good thing in pregnancy which is why I'm
particularly glad that Clare handles hers emotions so much better than I.

Last night I had a major headache, which was both work related and because
the neighbourhood kids were driving us up the wall by running through our
garden every few seconds to get their football back and peering through the
window. I knew I had to get the latest interface design for the next phase
of an ongoing project documented by this morning and that I was going to
have work in to the night to get it done. I knew also that the noise and
intrusion of the outside world would make this difficult and that the fact
that Clare was flinching every time the ball came in the garden and another
face appeared at the window made me about ready to go all Bruce Banner on
the world.

Oh and before anybody asks why I didn't move them on, one of the parents is
a policeman and has already told us that any more demands to his children to
move on would infringe their human rights to play - which apparently far
outweigh our rights to privacy and peace - and if I wanted to know what real
stress was, I should tell his son off again.

This morning I woke up with Clare in tears and late for work - unheard of
her for her, a regular thing for me as I can work from home. I figured the
stress had got to her and 'something' had happened.

I was halfway right.

For the first time after all the stress over the neighbourhood
disturbancies, inconclusive Spina Bifida and missing AFP tests and
everything else that first timers at this pregnancy thing go through..,
Clare felt the baby move for the first time. It was almost like he was
telling her 'Relax Mom, it will all be alright.'

21 ½ weeks in and that simple thing, that one little connection form the
womb to the outside world brought everything back in to clarity. I sat on
the bed and held her while we both shed a little tear of happiness and took
it in turns to touch our beloved little bump.

What a change of perspective and all because our little unborn son decided
to make himself known.

Work at this moment is something I do to make my child's life better - that's
not stress that's an honour. The kids outside are just that kids - someday
my own may play with their little brothers and sisters, though with a bit
more respect for neighbours I hope.

I sent my work in two hours late - did the world stop? No and the project
will continue unaffected and Clare and I?

Well when we stop smiling at each other I'll let you know.

Regards to all as always

Bob

Mamma Mia
March 2nd 05, 10:30 PM

> Well when we stop smiling at each other I'll let you know.
>

> Regards to all as always
>

> Bob
>

> phew

glad it worked out ok. hi to the bub!

Anne Rogers
March 2nd 05, 11:14 PM
feeling the baby move is a wonderful thing, my husband felt our baby move
for the first time last night, so I can indentify with how happy you both
are, personally I could do with a break from what feels like an octopus in
my tummy!

Anne

emilymr
March 3rd 05, 12:53 AM
What a nice story!! I've got tears (ok, so I think I'm hormonal and I'm
crying at everything lately -- but this *was* a very sweet story). :)

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Todd Gastaldo
March 3rd 05, 03:28 AM
Bob,
What a special moment in life, sensing new life.
Todd

"Robert Powell" > wrote in message
> [...]
> telling her 'Relax Mom, it will all be alright.'
>

> 21 ½ weeks in and that simple thing, that one little connection form the
> womb to the outside world brought everything back in to clarity. I sat on
> the bed and held her while we both shed a little tear of happiness and
> took it in turns to touch our beloved little bump.
>

> What a change of perspective and all because our little unborn son decided
> to make himself known.
>

> Work at this moment is something I do to make my child's life better -
> that's not stress that's an honour. The kids outside are just that kids -
> someday my own may play with their little brothers and sisters, though
> with a bit more respect for neighbours I hope.
>

> I sent my work in two hours late - did the world stop? No and the project
> will continue unaffected and Clare and I?
>

> Well when we stop smiling at each other I'll let you know.

Ericka Kammerer
March 3rd 05, 01:28 PM
Robert Powell wrote:

> Clare felt the baby move for the first time. It was almost like he was
> telling her 'Relax Mom, it will all be alright.'

Halleluja ;-) It's great fun when you feel them moving
around in there.

Best wishes,
Ericka