PDA

View Full Version : Re: Travelling by air with a Kelty Kid Carrier and Yellowstone questions

iphigenia
July 15th 03, 12:44 PM
Robyn Kozierok wrote:
>> I am going to need to travel by airplane with our Kelty kid-carrying
>> backpack. It is one of the larger models, the Summit, I think. I
>> think we will check it rather than trying to use it to get through
>> the airport and then gate-checking it, as we'll have enough else to
>> carry on, including the 2yo's carseat, that we'll probably use one
>> of those cart thingies in the airports. So, I'm just wondering how
>> we can "pack" it to keep it safe while travelling as luggage.

Hm, I've got a smaller Kelty, though I've never taken it on a plane. I
wouldn't worry too much about the frame being damaged, as they're pretty
tough, but I'd worry about surface damage. Off the top of my head: you could
get a plastic sheet (maybe a heavy drop cloth), wrap it up, and run duct
tape around it a few times. And you could drop another plastic sheet and a
roll of duct or packing tape inside the carrier for the return trip.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Mary W.
July 15th 03, 03:31 PM
iphigenia wrote:

> Robyn Kozierok wrote:
> >> I am going to need to travel by airplane with our Kelty kid-carrying
> >> backpack. It is one of the larger models, the Summit, I think. I
> >> think we will check it rather than trying to use it to get through
> >> the airport and then gate-checking it, as we'll have enough else to
> >> carry on, including the 2yo's carseat, that we'll probably use one
> >> of those cart thingies in the airports. So, I'm just wondering how
> >> we can "pack" it to keep it safe while travelling as luggage.
>
> Hm, I've got a smaller Kelty, though I've never taken it on a plane. I
> wouldn't worry too much about the frame being damaged, as they're pretty
> tough, but I'd worry about surface damage. Off the top of my head: you could
> get a plastic sheet (maybe a heavy drop cloth), wrap it up, and run duct
> tape around it a few times. And you could drop another plastic sheet and a
> roll of duct or packing tape inside the carrier for the return trip.

My sister just travelled with her kelty (don't know which one). She
packed it in a box (don't know if its the original box or not). Our
evelflo backpack came in a largish box (no assembly required)
and if we were ever to travel with it, we'd put it in that. Provided
I could find that box.

Mary