PDA

View Full Version : Swollen fingers in early pregnancy

Andrea S
March 3rd 05, 07:13 AM
For the past 2 weeks my fingers have been swelling so I can't wear my
wedding rings. My ankles are normal. I usually get swollen fingers quite
late on in pregnancy. Is this normal early on?

I am almost 8 weeks pregnant.

Andrea (UK) EDD 14th October

Jo
March 3rd 05, 02:06 PM
Andrea S wrote:
> For the past 2 weeks my fingers have been swelling so I can't wear my
> wedding rings. My ankles are normal. I usually get swollen fingers quite
> late on in pregnancy. Is this normal early on?
>
> I am almost 8 weeks pregnant.
>
> Andrea (UK) EDD 14th October

Happened to me too, but rings are fine now (I'm 29 weeks)

Jo (RM)

March 3rd 05, 02:06 PM
Andrea S wrote:
> For the past 2 weeks my fingers have been swelling so I can't wear my

> wedding rings. My ankles are normal. I usually get swollen fingers
quite
> late on in pregnancy. Is this normal early on?
>
> I am almost 8 weeks pregnant.

Swollen hands and face can be a symptom of pre-eclampsia, but you're
way too early for that. Keep an eye on your blood pressure until you
can get to the doctor, just in case, and drink plenty of water. You
might cut back partially (not completely) on salt, and see if that
helps. Your body needs sodium to move fluids, but maybe you're just
getting way too much, and that's causing the edema.

You may just be gaining weight more quickly with this one than you did
with your previous pregnancies...

Amy

Andrea S
March 3rd 05, 05:43 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Andrea S wrote:
>> For the past 2 weeks my fingers have been swelling so I can't wear my
>
>> wedding rings. My ankles are normal. I usually get swollen fingers
> quite
>> late on in pregnancy. Is this normal early on?
>>
>> I am almost 8 weeks pregnant.
>
> Swollen hands and face can be a symptom of pre-eclampsia, but you're
> way too early for that. Keep an eye on your blood pressure until you
> can get to the doctor, just in case, and drink plenty of water. You
> might cut back partially (not completely) on salt, and see if that
> helps. Your body needs sodium to move fluids, but maybe you're just
> getting way too much, and that's causing the edema.
>
> You may just be gaining weight more quickly with this one than you did
> with your previous pregnancies...
>
> Amy

I haven't gained any weight yet. It's just weird as it hasn't happened
before. Someone said if you have that and an early + pregnancy test it could
mean you are having twins... I sure hope not!!!!

Andrea (UK) mom of 5 and edd 14th October.

bapayne
March 3rd 05, 06:23 PM
I wear my wedding rings on a necklace during my swollen finger days.

Lucy
March 3rd 05, 07:51 PM
"Andrea S" > wrote in message
. uk...
> For the past 2 weeks my fingers have been swelling so I can't wear my
> wedding rings. My ankles are normal. I usually get swollen fingers quite
> late on in pregnancy. Is this normal early on?

I got all kinds of swelling early on in this pregnancy. Drinking water
helped me a lot.

Lucy

Chookie
March 5th 05, 07:21 AM
In article >,
"Andrea S" > wrote:

> For the past 2 weeks my fingers have been swelling so I can't wear my
> wedding rings. My ankles are normal. I usually get swollen fingers quite
> late on in pregnancy. Is this normal early on?
>
> I am almost 8 weeks pregnant.

Have you been drinking enough water?

In Australia, at least, sweeling on its own is not consdered a sign of
pre-eclampsia unless it is of very sudden onset and extreme. Plenty of women
have swelling without pe.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.