PDA

View Full Version : Help! (Babysitting)

March 3rd 05, 10:39 PM
Ok, so we're babysitting an 8 year old and a 4 year old girl all day on
Saturday. Last time we had them it was a disaster, because I didn't
have anything for them to do at my house (no kids yet, therefore, no
toys) and what little I did have (crayons, etc.) had been played with a
few days before, when they were there.

They were recently at the nearest childrens museum, and probably won't
be interested in going again. I don't have the energy for a lot of
walking and stuff right now, anyway. We were thinking of taking them
to see Aladdin on stage - do you think a 4 year old is ready for
theater? Our only experience with this was when we took her to the
childrens museum, and through the whole movie on space she yelled
"Almost over? ALMOST OVER???" Of course she was 2, and she did have a
wet diaper, but still... (What do I know about changing diapers before
such things, I've not spent much time with two year olds!). There's a
circus in a town not far from here, but I hate clowns, and I get sad
over the way the animals are treated. I'm too much of a baby for the
circus! Hahaha...

We could bum around the house, making cookies and so on. We could
probably even buy some art supplies or something to entertain them... I
hate to have them come over and sit in front of a TV or a computer (the
older one clicked on Lindsey Lohan one time and gave me every spyware
in the world, so they don't use my computer anymore!!) the whole time.

We could take them to see Pooh's Heffalump movie, I guess... But that
seems an awful lot like sitting them in front of a TV - just a really
big one. At least theater has redeeming social value.

You would think that a former teacher would have some ideas, but I'm
sunk. I don't like to go shopping with them, because they constantly
ask for things and I feel like a grouch saying no. That means the
mall's out. It's going to be cold on Saturday, so anything outdoors is
out (except sledding, if we get enough snow, but I can't really
participate in that in my "delicate condition"). If they lived with
us, I probably wouldn't feel compelled to constantly entertain them,
but I want them to have fun being with us...

ARGH! I hope it's not this hard when they're your own...

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Amy

Jamie Clark
March 3rd 05, 11:30 PM
Amy,
I think you're going to have to do a few of the items you list, partly to
break up the day, and partly just to keep them occupied. Making cookies or
cupcakes and then decorating them could be fun. I'd go to Toys R Us or
Michaels, and look at an inexpensive game or two, some puzzles, and some art
supplies. Michael's has those really simple rug hooking kits, that could be
fun to do. They also have paint-by-numbers kits, and large posters that you
color in with markers. Or purchase inexpensive wooden shelves and paint
them. Something for them to take home with them and say, "I made this!" And
if they come over often, it could be something that they could work on
long-term, every time they visit, not necessarily something that they have
to be able to finish in a few hours.

I have no problem with the Heffalump Movie, or even renting something that
you can watch on TV -- after all, all day is a long time! I also think you
might want to suck it up about the circus -- YOU don't like clowns, and YOU
don't like the way that animals may be treated, but they will enjoy it and
it will take up many hours. I think the Children's Museum would also be a
good thing to do.

It is really boring when you go to someone else's house and they have
nothing for you to do -- I remember that from being a kid. Perhaps talk to
their mom ahead of time, and have each kid bring a few of their favorite
things with them -- books, toys, games, etc.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ok, so we're babysitting an 8 year old and a 4 year old girl all day on
> Saturday. Last time we had them it was a disaster, because I didn't
> have anything for them to do at my house (no kids yet, therefore, no
> toys) and what little I did have (crayons, etc.) had been played with a
> few days before, when they were there.
>
> They were recently at the nearest childrens museum, and probably won't
> be interested in going again. I don't have the energy for a lot of
> walking and stuff right now, anyway. We were thinking of taking them
> to see Aladdin on stage - do you think a 4 year old is ready for
> theater? Our only experience with this was when we took her to the
> childrens museum, and through the whole movie on space she yelled
> "Almost over? ALMOST OVER???" Of course she was 2, and she did have a
> wet diaper, but still... (What do I know about changing diapers before
> such things, I've not spent much time with two year olds!). There's a
> circus in a town not far from here, but I hate clowns, and I get sad
> over the way the animals are treated. I'm too much of a baby for the
> circus! Hahaha...
>
> We could bum around the house, making cookies and so on. We could
> probably even buy some art supplies or something to entertain them... I
> hate to have them come over and sit in front of a TV or a computer (the
> older one clicked on Lindsey Lohan one time and gave me every spyware
> in the world, so they don't use my computer anymore!!) the whole time.
>

> We could take them to see Pooh's Heffalump movie, I guess... But that
> seems an awful lot like sitting them in front of a TV - just a really
> big one. At least theater has redeeming social value.
>
> You would think that a former teacher would have some ideas, but I'm
> sunk. I don't like to go shopping with them, because they constantly
> ask for things and I feel like a grouch saying no. That means the
> mall's out. It's going to be cold on Saturday, so anything outdoors is
> out (except sledding, if we get enough snow, but I can't really
> participate in that in my "delicate condition"). If they lived with
> us, I probably wouldn't feel compelled to constantly entertain them,
> but I want them to have fun being with us...
>
> ARGH! I hope it's not this hard when they're your own...
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!!
>
> Amy

Jamie Clark
March 3rd 05, 11:32 PM
Oooh, I just thought of this -- if you are interested in the art/creative
aspect, make the trip to Michael's part of the day -- a field trip, and they
can each pick out a few items to do later on. That would take up some time,
and wouldn't involve tons of shopping or walking!
--

"Jamie Clark" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> in the world, so they don't use my computer anymore!!) the whole time.
>>

>> We could take them to see Pooh's Heffalump movie, I guess... But that
>> seems an awful lot like sitting them in front of a TV - just a really
>> big one. At least theater has redeeming social value.
>>
>> You would think that a former teacher would have some ideas, but I'm
>> sunk. I don't like to go shopping with them, because they constantly
>> ask for things and I feel like a grouch saying no. That means the
>> mall's out. It's going to be cold on Saturday, so anything outdoors is
>> out (except sledding, if we get enough snow, but I can't really
>> participate in that in my "delicate condition"). If they lived with
>> us, I probably wouldn't feel compelled to constantly entertain them,
>> but I want them to have fun being with us...
>>
>> ARGH! I hope it's not this hard when they're your own...

bapayne
March 3rd 05, 11:36 PM
Pick up some arts and crafts supplies.
Make and decorate cookies.
Is there a park nearby?
Ask them to put on a play for you!
Help them write some stories which you write and they draw the pictures
for.
Rent some movies. Easier than going to a movie.
Make your own pizzas for dinner! Not from scratch but let them
decorate.
I can't remember if you said they were girls or boys. If girls, you
could give them makeup to play with.
Build a fort.

March 3rd 05, 11:44 PM
Jamie Clark wrote:

> I'd go to Toys R Us or
> Michaels, and look at an inexpensive game or two, some puzzles, and
some art
> supplies.

That's not a bad idea. I should probably start stocking such things,
anyway. I have a hard time finding things that don't suck, though. I
got the 8 year old a cool toy pottery wheel for Christmas that I
would've just gone bananas over when I was 8. I could tell by the look
on her face when she opened it that it sucked - that it was going to
either be returned or find its way to the bottom of the closet for the
rest of eternity.

> Michael's has those really simple rug hooking kits, that could be
> fun to do. They also have paint-by-numbers kits, and large posters
that you
> color in with markers. Or purchase inexpensive wooden shelves and
paint
> them. Something for them to take home with them and say, "I made
this!" And
> if they come over often, it could be something that they could work
on
> long-term, every time they visit, not necessarily something that they
have
> to be able to finish in a few hours.

That's not a bad idea. I could turn them loose in the garage with the
wood and the paint and let them go nuts...

> I have no problem with the Heffalump Movie, or even renting something
that
> you can watch on TV -- after all, all day is a long time!

That's true... I just feel like I'm copping out when I do it!

> I also think you
> might want to suck it up about the circus -- YOU don't like clowns,
and YOU
> don't like the way that animals may be treated, but they will enjoy
it and
> it will take up many hours.

It won't be fun for anyone if I sit there crying all the time!
Hahaha... They brought over this Barbie movie one time when they spent
the night, where the boys were in a band and they went to the Bahamas
(or somewhere) to be in a band contest. Then the girls got bored at
home so they all had to fly to the Bahamas to be with the boys, and one
girl ended up getting in a snit because her boyfriend was talking to
another girl, so she ran away and the boys missed the band contest
because they were all looking for her... I had to give them a thirty
minute lecture about how it's not a boy's job to entertain you, and you
should have your own interests instead of just following boys around
all the damn time, and about supporting your friends in their goals
instead of getting in their way, etc. etc. etc. They both fell asleep
while I was in mid-lecture, and we didn't even get to the good part of
the lecture where we sing songs and burn bras. It was very sad. These
fourth wave feminists just don't get it... Of course, they're all
under 10 years old right now... ;) Anyway, I fear that the circus
would bring out a similar sort of reaction in me. This is why everyone
calls me Crazy Aunt Amy... Hahaha...

> I think the Children's Museum would also be a
> good thing to do.

We may default to this - it's far enough away (about an hour) that it
would be a whole-day trip.

> It is really boring when you go to someone else's house and they have

> nothing for you to do -- I remember that from being a kid. Perhaps
talk to
> their mom ahead of time, and have each kid bring a few of their
favorite
> things with them -- books, toys, games, etc.

The times that I've asked her to send things with them, they've brought
things that suck. They'll bring a doll that does one thing, and it's,
"Here, watch my doll do this," and when that's over, they're like, "Ok,
entertain me." I never did understand the attraction of dolls, even
when I was a kid. Oh my God, I'm going to be the worst mother ever...

Part of the trouble I have is that what's fun for an 8 year old isn't
usually fun for a 4 year old...

I like the idea of going to Michael's, too. Maybe I could give them
each $10 and let them get whatever they want, provided that it's
something that they can *do* and not just something to *have* (if that
distinction makes sense to anyone but me).

Thanks for the help!
Boring Aunt Amy

March 3rd 05, 11:45 PM
bapayne wrote:
> Pick up some arts and crafts supplies.
> Make and decorate cookies.
> Is there a park nearby?
> Ask them to put on a play for you!
> Help them write some stories which you write and they draw the
pictures
> for.
> Rent some movies. Easier than going to a movie.
> Make your own pizzas for dinner! Not from scratch but let them
> decorate.
> I can't remember if you said they were girls or boys. If girls, you
> could give them makeup to play with.
> Build a fort.

I would never have thought of the makeup or the fort! Hahaha... That
could be fun! We could make a fort, and then sit in it to watch
movies, even, with the way the living room is...

Great list! Thanks!!

Boring Aunt Amy

Anne Rogers
March 3rd 05, 11:46 PM
ask there parents to pack toys for them

they are at the age where they might be really into babies (or rather
potential babies), so you could go window shopping for baby stuff, don't
spend too much time browsing the pushchairs an inspecting each one though!

cooking sounds like a great idea

is there a parents birthday coming up? anyway it is easter soon, you could
get stuff to do some kind of "secret" project with them for their parents

Anne

Caledonia
March 4th 05, 12:00 AM
wrote:
> Ok, so we're babysitting an 8 year old and a 4 year old girl all day
on
> Saturday. Last time we had them it was a disaster, because I didn't
> have anything for them to do at my house (no kids yet, therefore, no
> toys) and what little I did have (crayons, etc.) had been played with
> few days before, when they were there.
>
> They were recently at the nearest childrens museum, and probably
won't
> be interested in going again. I don't have the energy for a lot of
> walking and stuff right now, anyway. We were thinking of taking them
> to see Aladdin on stage - do you think a 4 year old is ready for
> theater? Our only experience with this was when we took her to the
> childrens museum, and through the whole movie on space she yelled
> "Almost over? ALMOST OVER???" Of course she was 2, and she did have
> wet diaper, but still... (What do I know about changing diapers
before
> such things, I've not spent much time with two year olds!). There's
> circus in a town not far from here, but I hate clowns, and I get sad
> over the way the animals are treated. I'm too much of a baby for the
> circus! Hahaha...
>
> We could bum around the house, making cookies and so on. We could
> probably even buy some art supplies or something to entertain them...
> hate to have them come over and sit in front of a TV or a computer
(the
> older one clicked on Lindsey Lohan one time and gave me every spyware
> in the world, so they don't use my computer anymore!!) the whole
time.

> We could take them to see Pooh's Heffalump movie, I guess... But
that
> seems an awful lot like sitting them in front of a TV - just a really
> big one. At least theater has redeeming social value.
>
> You would think that a former teacher would have some ideas, but I'm
> sunk. I don't like to go shopping with them, because they constantly
> ask for things and I feel like a grouch saying no. That means the
> mall's out. It's going to be cold on Saturday, so anything outdoors
is
> out (except sledding, if we get enough snow, but I can't really
> participate in that in my "delicate condition"). If they lived with
> us, I probably wouldn't feel compelled to constantly entertain them,
> but I want them to have fun being with us...
>
> ARGH! I hope it's not this hard when they're your own...
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!!
>
> Amy

Some quickie suggestions (from my Childcraft set):

If you have paper towels and food coloring (about $1.50 at a
supermarket for a set of 4): fold paper towels into small squares, or
long lengthwise strips, dip into different bowels of food coloring and
water, unfold, place on newspaper, and when dry (about 1 hour) you'll
have personalized semi-tie-dyed napkins. Quick, not too messy, can
spend a lot of time mixing drops of food coloring to make random
colors, big amusement value, etc.

If you have flour, water, and newspaper, make paper mache. Somewhat
messier, may be beyond the 4 year old's ability, may be appealing for
her. Downside is that you'll have 'things' drying at your house for a
couple of days before they can take them home.

Trace window decorating-ish shapes (stars? shamrocks? eggs? flowers?)
on construction paper. Use push pins (the things used to keep stuff on
bulletin boards -- thumbtacks with ends) to punch out holes around the
edges of the shapes. Place against window, sunlight comes in little
holes, little girls (in my house at least) are fascinated, and will
spend a loooong time punching things out. Maria Montessori would be
proud. It's usually best to put a folded dishcloth under the
construction paper, so you don't end up with little scratches on your
table (if your table isn't polyurethane-d to death, like mine is...)

Other ideas:

Buy shrinky dink paper refill paper, make shrinky dinks in the oven (on
a cookie sheet wrapped in foil). The refill paper is pricey (something
like $10 for 5 sheets), but makes more of these things than one could
possibly want.

Make a zillion snowflakes cut out of tissue paper. Cut coat hangers,
tie snowflakes on with thread. Ta da -- it's a mobile!

Involve them in making food -- maybe bread? Measuing, stirring, and
kneading are all big hits here. (I didn't have the will to resist
eating cookie dough when pregnant, so had to skip cookies, knowing my
total lack of willpower would result in consuming raw egg. Sigh.)

Go to the library, take out a bunch of books for each of them, and read
them to the girls. The Narnia Series was a big hit with my eldest when
she was 4, and would also be appealing to the 8 year old. Ditto Stuart
Little, James and the Giant Peach (you could probably finish this one
in a day if so inclined). When I've watched an 8 year old (not my
daughter) she was very psyched to be able to take 10 books out, since
her parents are more of the 'buy one book at B&N' school, and 10 books
just seemed incredible. If desperate, they could also choose 1
video/DVD to watch that evening.

If you're feeling totally crazy, dump a bunch of onion skins with water
in a pot. Take uncooked eggs in the shell, place a design/leaf/flower
on the egg, sacrifice a pair of nylons and wrap each egg tightly in a
piece of the nylons, place in onion skin and water mixture, boil. Dyed
eggs, in cool colors with moderately weird designs. You could also
write on your eggs with crayon, then dump in water. It's more
interesting than 'standard' egg dyes, and seemingly (to me) safer
(what's *in* those egg dyes, anyway?).

Just some thoughts -- for us, we too are in the middle of a long
winter, but we're awash in old toys (as someone commented, 'your toys
are so old they're made in USA!') so that makes it easier. We've found
shinky dinks to be a reasonable investment given that we have an age
range of kids stopping by, and you don't need to buy the machine if you
have an oven. The paper towel napkins are usually a hit, also (they're
not 'babyish', yet easy enough for a 4 year old to do, also).

Good luck!
Caledonia

Jamie Clark
March 4th 05, 12:51 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Jamie Clark wrote:
>
>> I'd go to Toys R Us or
>> Michaels, and look at an inexpensive game or two, some puzzles, and
> some art
>> supplies.
>
> That's not a bad idea. I should probably start stocking such things,
> anyway. I have a hard time finding things that don't suck, though. I
> got the 8 year old a cool toy pottery wheel for Christmas that I
> would've just gone bananas over when I was 8. I could tell by the look
> on her face when she opened it that it sucked - that it was going to
> either be returned or find its way to the bottom of the closet for the
> rest of eternity.

You know, I bet that had more to do with the fact that she didn't either
know what it was, or how to use it. You could ask her if she still has it,
and have her bring it if she does. Then, you could give the little one some
clay to mold, and you could teach the older one how to throw a pot.

For years I used to purchase these keen kits for my nieces -- they are about
10 years apart in age. I'd get something age appropriate for each one --
lamp making/decorating kids, beading kits, soap making kits, lip gloss
making kits, etc. I had these fantasies about my sister sitting down and
helping her daughters do the crafts, or about the older one helping the
younger one. The kids dug them, but my sister took me aside one year and
said, "Enough with the crafty ****." Oh. Well. Okay. Far be it from me
to try to get you to do something creative with your kids! I'm sure she was
just wiped at the end of working all day, but still...

Oh, another craft that I just thought of --- take some wax paper and crayons
and a crayon sharpener, and put the crayon scrapings on the wax paper, then
fold and iron on low. When the crayon melts, you can cut designs into the
paper and hang them in your windows. That should take up some time, and the
4 year old and 8 year old should be able to have fun with it. I know I had
fun doing it a few years ago with my nieces...

Scrapbooking types of activities could also be fun -- have them bring their
5-10 favorite photos, and you can pick up neat paper, stickers, and
scrapbooking stuff at Michaels. This could also be a good ongoing
project -- every time they come, you could work on a page or two!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03 -- Little Miss Manners, who says, "No skank you" and
"Tank you very much, momma."
Addison Grace, 9/30/04 -- The Prodigy, who can now roll over, and pull
herself to standing while holding onto someone's fingers!

Guest
Password

Jamie Clark
March 4th 05, 12:54 AM
Oooh, great list!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03 -- Little Miss Manners, who says, "No skank you" and
"Tank you very much, momma."
Addison Grace, 9/30/04 -- The Prodigy, who can now roll over, and pull
herself to standing while holding onto someone's fingers!

Guest
Password

"Caledonia" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> [...]
> on the egg, sacrifice a pair of nylons and wrap each egg tightly in a
> piece of the nylons, place in onion skin and water mixture, boil. Dyed
> eggs, in cool colors with moderately weird designs. You could also
> write on your eggs with crayon, then dump in water. It's more
> interesting than 'standard' egg dyes, and seemingly (to me) safer
> (what's *in* those egg dyes, anyway?).
>
> Just some thoughts -- for us, we too are in the middle of a long
> winter, but we're awash in old toys (as someone commented, 'your toys
> are so old they're made in USA!') so that makes it easier. We've found
> shinky dinks to be a reasonable investment given that we have an age
> range of kids stopping by, and you don't need to buy the machine if you
> have an oven. The paper towel napkins are usually a hit, also (they're
> not 'babyish', yet easy enough for a 4 year old to do, also).

March 4th 05, 01:34 AM
You guys rock! I just might be able to survive this babysitting thing
with your help... And I'm really reassured about the parenting gig
that's coming up, too!

I think we'll do the scrapbooking thing - I love the idea of an ongoing
project! We could even incorporate some of the other ideas (like
Jamie's waxed papers with crayons) into the scrapbooking idea. I love
it!

I've made a huge master list of things to do! Thanks so much... You
all are lifesavers, really!!!!

With much love and gratitude!
Amy

Jamie Clark
March 4th 05, 02:16 AM
Hey Amy, if you aren't careful, you're going to be known as "Cool Aunt Amy!"
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03 -- Little Miss Manners, who says, "No skank you" and
"Tank you very much, momma."
Addison Grace, 9/30/04 -- The Prodigy, who can now roll over, and pull
herself to standing while holding onto someone's fingers!

Guest
Password

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> You guys rock! I just might be able to survive this babysitting thing
> with your help... And I'm really reassured about the parenting gig
> that's coming up, too!
>
> I think we'll do the scrapbooking thing - I love the idea of an ongoing
> project! We could even incorporate some of the other ideas (like
> Jamie's waxed papers with crayons) into the scrapbooking idea. I love
> it!
>
> I've made a huge master list of things to do! Thanks so much... You
> all are lifesavers, really!!!!
>
> With much love and gratitude!
> Amy

Child
March 4th 05, 02:41 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
| Ok, so we're babysitting an 8 year old and a 4 year old girl all day on
| Saturday. Last time we had them it was a disaster, because I didn't
| have anything for them to do at my house (no kids yet, therefore, no
| toys) and what little I did have (crayons, etc.) had been played with a
| few days before, when they were there.
|
| They were recently at the nearest childrens museum, and probably won't
| be interested in going again. I don't have the energy for a lot of
| walking and stuff right now, anyway. We were thinking of taking them
| to see Aladdin on stage - do you think a 4 year old is ready for
| theater? Our only experience with this was when we took her to the
| childrens museum, and through the whole movie on space she yelled
| "Almost over? ALMOST OVER???" Of course she was 2, and she did have a
| wet diaper, but still... (What do I know about changing diapers before
| such things, I've not spent much time with two year olds!). There's a
| circus in a town not far from here, but I hate clowns, and I get sad
| over the way the animals are treated. I'm too much of a baby for the
| circus! Hahaha...

I hate clowns too. Creepy damn things.

Aladdin on stage would be something I would take my five year old niece to,
so I think a four year old would be fine. A two year old and a four year
old are miles different. However, you may HAVE to take her out at some
point, sometimes that happens.

| We could bum around the house, making cookies and so on. We could
| probably even buy some art supplies or something to entertain them... I
| hate to have them come over and sit in front of a TV or a computer (the
| older one clicked on Lindsey Lohan one time and gave me every spyware
| in the world, so they don't use my computer anymore!!) the whole time.

I would plan to do projects, cookie baking and maybe a craft project to take
home to mom and dad - there are tons of recipes for cool cookies on the
net - I recently made some "stained glass cookies" with a friends kid which
were made with melted jolly ranchers as the glass. Beautiful, but gross
tasting to adults. Apparently, 8 year olds like them. Generally an 8 year
old would love to make a beaded necklace or some other crafty item. A four
year old could use your help to make something.

PLEASE NOTE: this is based on auntiehood and babysitting and not personal
parenting experience. HOWEVER, I am the MOST POPULAR "auntie" of friends
girls.. I am called in as birthday party entertainment, even.

Child
March 4th 05, 02:44 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

| Jamie Clark wrote:
|
| > I'd go to Toys R Us or
| > Michaels, and look at an inexpensive game or two, some puzzles, and
| some art
| > supplies.
|
| That's not a bad idea. I should probably start stocking such things,
| anyway. I have a hard time finding things that don't suck, though. I
| got the 8 year old a cool toy pottery wheel for Christmas that I
| would've just gone bananas over when I was 8. I could tell by the look
| on her face when she opened it that it sucked - that it was going to
| either be returned or find its way to the bottom of the closet for the
| rest of eternity.

I would have gone ape**** over the pottery wheel at 8 too, as would MOST
KIDS I KNOW. Maybe she is just....an odd duck in terms of interests.

| It won't be fun for anyone if I sit there crying all the time!
| Hahaha... They brought over this Barbie movie one time when they spent
| the night, where the boys were in a band and they went to the Bahamas
| (or somewhere) to be in a band contest. Then the girls got bored at
| home so they all had to fly to the Bahamas to be with the boys, and one
| girl ended up getting in a snit because her boyfriend was talking to
| another girl, so she ran away and the boys missed the band contest
| because they were all looking for her... I had to give them a thirty
| minute lecture about how it's not a boy's job to entertain you, and you
| should have your own interests instead of just following boys around
| all the damn time, and about supporting your friends in their goals
| instead of getting in their way, etc. etc. etc. They both fell asleep
| while I was in mid-lecture, and we didn't even get to the good part of
| the lecture where we sing songs and burn bras. It was very sad. These
| fourth wave feminists just don't get it... Of course, they're all
| under 10 years old right now... ;) Anyway, I fear that the circus
| would bring out a similar sort of reaction in me. This is why everyone
| calls me Crazy Aunt Amy... Hahaha...

Maybe in another year. This lecture would have a great affect on me, but I
am after all, 36.

| The times that I've asked her to send things with them, they've brought
| things that suck. They'll bring a doll that does one thing, and it's,
| "Here, watch my doll do this," and when that's over, they're like, "Ok,
| entertain me." I never did understand the attraction of dolls, even
| when I was a kid. Oh my God, I'm going to be the worst mother ever...

No you arent'. Dolls are boring.

Leslie
March 4th 05, 03:32 AM
I think Aladdin is a great idea; I definitely have taken four year olds
to things like that, and it's especially good that it's a kid thing so
that if she talks out loud she won't be the only one (William loves to
go to movies--he's four--but he WILL NOT whisper).

A park after the theatre to let them work off their energy would be
good. If it's really too cold, take them to a McDonald's with an
indoor PlayPlace.

Leslie

Kelly
March 4th 05, 05:11 AM
Okay, girls are way easy indoors. Make cookies, do an art project, dress
up. A 4 year old will love dress up. I would take them to the art store
(Michaels) and have them pick out a project then take it home and do it.
Also have them pick out a project to make for your baby just from them.
That would be really cute. Going to the theater sounds super fun, too.

Have fun!

Kelly

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ok, so we're babysitting an 8 year old and a 4 year old girl all day on
> Saturday. Last time we had them it was a disaster, because I didn't
> have anything for them to do at my house (no kids yet, therefore, no
> toys) and what little I did have (crayons, etc.) had been played with a
> few days before, when they were there.
>
> They were recently at the nearest childrens museum, and probably won't
> be interested in going again. I don't have the energy for a lot of
> walking and stuff right now, anyway. We were thinking of taking them
> to see Aladdin on stage - do you think a 4 year old is ready for
> theater? Our only experience with this was when we took her to the
> childrens museum, and through the whole movie on space she yelled
> "Almost over? ALMOST OVER???" Of course she was 2, and she did have a
> wet diaper, but still... (What do I know about changing diapers before
> such things, I've not spent much time with two year olds!). There's a
> circus in a town not far from here, but I hate clowns, and I get sad
> over the way the animals are treated. I'm too much of a baby for the
> circus! Hahaha...
>
> We could bum around the house, making cookies and so on. We could
> probably even buy some art supplies or something to entertain them... I
> hate to have them come over and sit in front of a TV or a computer (the
> older one clicked on Lindsey Lohan one time and gave me every spyware
> in the world, so they don't use my computer anymore!!) the whole time.
>

> We could take them to see Pooh's Heffalump movie, I guess... But that
> seems an awful lot like sitting them in front of a TV - just a really
> big one. At least theater has redeeming social value.
>
> You would think that a former teacher would have some ideas, but I'm
> sunk. I don't like to go shopping with them, because they constantly
> ask for things and I feel like a grouch saying no. That means the
> mall's out. It's going to be cold on Saturday, so anything outdoors is
> out (except sledding, if we get enough snow, but I can't really
> participate in that in my "delicate condition"). If they lived with
> us, I probably wouldn't feel compelled to constantly entertain them,
> but I want them to have fun being with us...
>
> ARGH! I hope it's not this hard when they're your own...
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!!
>
> Amy

Marie
March 4th 05, 05:23 AM
On 3 Mar 2005 14:39:48 -0800, "
> wrote:
>Ok, so we're babysitting an 8 year old and a 4 year old girl all day on
>Saturday. Last time we had them it was a disaster, because I didn't
>have anything for them to do at my house (no kids yet, therefore, no
>toys) and what little I did have (crayons, etc.) had been played with a
>few days before, when they were there.

Can't you tell their mom to send things with them for them to do? And
really, an 8 year old should know how to entertain herself, she could
bring books or a gameboy or whatever.
Marie

Hope
March 4th 05, 05:28 AM
On 3 Mar 2005 15:44:06 -0800, "
> wrote:

They brought over this Barbie movie one time when they spent
>the night, where the boys were in a band and they went to the Bahamas
>(or somewhere) to be in a band contest. Then the girls got bored at
>home so they all had to fly to the Bahamas to be with the boys, and one
>girl ended up getting in a snit because her boyfriend was talking to
>another girl, so she ran away and the boys missed the band contest
>because they were all looking for her... I had to give them a thirty
>minute lecture about how it's not a boy's job to entertain you, and you
>should have your own interests instead of just following boys around
>all the damn time, and about supporting your friends in their goals
>instead of getting in their way, etc. etc. etc. They both fell asleep
>while I was in mid-lecture, and we didn't even get to the good part of
>the lecture where we sing songs and burn bras. It was very sad. These
>fourth wave feminists just don't get it...

hahahha I loved this, I wondered when I wrote it ;-)

boring auntie Hope

--
Riley 1993 c/s
Tara 2002 HBAC

Nikki
March 4th 05, 06:30 AM
wrote:
> Ok, so we're babysitting an 8 year old and a 4 year old girl all day
> on Saturday. ................. Thanks for any suggestions!!

Indoor swimming pool. Then either go out to eat or make sure you have
plenty of easy and fun to prepare food at home. If you buy pre-made crusts
and the fixings they could each make their own pizza.

My niece/nephew have enough energy for 30 kids so I always try to plan
either an outdoor activity or something that allows them to burn off plenty
of energy.

Make over with fixing hair and makeup might be a hit with the girls. You
could do nails, hair, make-up, dress up. Then have tiny sandwiches and tea
:-)
--
Nikki

Welches
March 4th 05, 09:52 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ok, so we're babysitting an 8 year old and a 4 year old girl all day on
> Saturday. Last time we had them it was a disaster, because I didn't
> have anything for them to do at my house (no kids yet, therefore, no
> toys) and what little I did have (crayons, etc.) had been played with a
> few days before, when they were there.
>
> They were recently at the nearest childrens museum, and probably won't
> be interested in going again. I don't have the energy for a lot of
> walking and stuff right now, anyway. We were thinking of taking them
> to see Aladdin on stage - do you think a 4 year old is ready for
> theater? Our only experience with this was when we took her to the
> childrens museum, and through the whole movie on space she yelled
> "Almost over? ALMOST OVER???" Of course she was 2, and she did have a
> wet diaper, but still... (What do I know about changing diapers before
> such things, I've not spent much time with two year olds!). There's a
> circus in a town not far from here, but I hate clowns, and I get sad
> over the way the animals are treated. I'm too much of a baby for the
> circus! Hahaha...

I took #1 to the pantomime first when she was just over 2, and she has loved
it ever since. I wouldn't take her to anything but a pantomime until just
recently. #2 went to a pantomime when she was 8 weeks too! Again you can get
away with a slightly noisy child at a pantomime (as long as it's not too
bad) If you take sweets/raisins to eat it can take some of the noise away!
> We could bum around the house, making cookies and so on. We could
> probably even buy some art supplies or something to entertain them... I
> hate to have them come over and sit in front of a TV or a computer (the
> older one clicked on Lindsey Lohan one time and gave me every spyware
> in the world, so they don't use my computer anymore!!) the whole time.
>

> We could take them to see Pooh's Heffalump movie, I guess... But that
> seems an awful lot like sitting them in front of a TV - just a really
> big one. At least theater has redeeming social value.
>
> You would think that a former teacher would have some ideas, but I'm
> sunk. I don't like to go shopping with them, because they constantly
> ask for things and I feel like a grouch saying no. That means the
> mall's out. It's going to be cold on Saturday, so anything outdoors is
> out (except sledding, if we get enough snow, but I can't really
> participate in that in my "delicate condition"). If they lived with
> us, I probably wouldn't feel compelled to constantly entertain them,
> but I want them to have fun being with us...
>
> ARGH! I hope it's not this hard when they're your own...
It's not.
I'd go for the pantomime, and if you really want to treat them, take them
out to eat before or after. Only has to be a drink and a cake in a cafe.
Don't go shopping as I'll bet their mum wouldn't want you buying everything
they ask for either. I know #1 asks for much more with granny as she thinks
she can get away with more :-)
Craft things can be good. What about making Mother's day cards? Get lots of
lue/glitter and stickers and it'll be messy but probably keep them happy.
You might find they are thrilled to "help" getting things ready for the
baby, particularly the younger. So you could get them folding baby clothes
and things.
Your own are much easier as you don't feel you have to keep them entertained
100% of the time and you learn to know what they think it a treat. You also
have to get on with life too!
Debbie

PattyMomVA
March 4th 05, 01:55 PM
> wrote and I snipped:
>
> They brought over this Barbie movie one time when they spent
> the night, where the boys were in a band and they went to the Bahamas
> (or somewhere) to be in a band contest. Then the girls got bored at
> home so they all had to fly to the Bahamas to be with the boys, and one
> girl ended up getting in a snit because her boyfriend was talking to
> another girl, so she ran away and the boys missed the band contest
> because they were all looking for her... I had to give them a thirty
> minute lecture about how it's not a boy's job to entertain you, and you
> should have your own interests instead of just following boys around
> all the damn time, and about supporting your friends in their goals
> instead of getting in their way, etc. etc. etc. They both fell asleep
> while I was in mid-lecture, and we didn't even get to the good part of
> the lecture where we sing songs and burn bras. It was very sad. These
> fourth wave feminists just don't get it... Of course, they're all
> under 10 years old right now... ;) Anyway, I fear that the circus
> would bring out a similar sort of reaction in me. This is why everyone
> calls me Crazy Aunt Amy... Hahaha...

Ack, you're not crazy; I can't stand that video. My DD got it in the
package with the My Scene doll. It's called "Jammin' in Jamaica." It's
boy-crazy trash. Once I saw what was going on in the movie, I hid it. I
haven't had a chance to get rid of it yet but maybe it's going in the
garbage today.

I wish I'd heard your lecture. :-)

-Patty, mom of 3

March 4th 05, 04:49 PM
PattyMomVA wrote:

> Ack, you're not crazy; I can't stand that video. My DD got it in the

> package with the My Scene doll. It's called "Jammin' in Jamaica."
It's
> boy-crazy trash. Once I saw what was going on in the movie, I hid
it. I
> haven't had a chance to get rid of it yet but maybe it's going in the

> garbage today.

I am SO relieved to know that I'm not the only one who thought that it
was trash! My husband came down on me, later, for being a "spoil
sport" and taking things "too seriously" - I told him that these
seemingly innocent messages that girls get everywhere contribute to
girls growing up crazy and miserable - it's not like they take us aside
in gym class and teach us to subjugate who we are and what we want to
the whims of our boyfriends/partners. It's a subtle, ongoing lecture
that we get from our culture all the time, and it's terribly hard to
fight.

I love the Disney princess movies, but I hate the messages! I hate
that Ariel gave up her family and her whole world to be with Prince
Eric - why couldn't he have become a fish for a change? Or why
couldn't they have been fish during the summer and fall, and people
during the winter and spring? But no, she's been waiting for her life
to start when a boy glances her way and makes her "real." Ugh. Same
with Cinderella - Someday My Prince Will Come - how about Someday I'll
Complete My PhD and Get a Tenure Track Position and If I Have Time to
Date, Great, But If Not It Won't Be the End Of the World Because I'm
Fully Self-Actualized All By My Little Self." Sleeping Beauty and Snow
White? My life was so bad that I was in a COMA until you came along!
UGH!

Mulan isn't bad, though... I have to give them credit for improvement.

> I wish I'd heard your lecture. :-)

Hee... I can get really passionate about such things... I said
something about "the patriarchy" once, and my husband said, "There is
no patriarchy," and I replied, "You only say that because you ARE the
patriarchy!!" He didn't think it was too funny...

Amy

Robin T.
March 4th 05, 05:14 PM
wrote:
> I love the Disney princess movies, but I hate the messages! I hate
> that Ariel gave up her family and her whole world to be with Prince
> Eric - why couldn't he have become a fish for a change? Or why
> couldn't they have been fish during the summer and fall, and people
> during the winter and spring? But no, she's been waiting for her life
> to start when a boy glances her way and makes her "real." Ugh. Same
> with Cinderella - Someday My Prince Will Come - how about Someday I'll
> Complete My PhD and Get a Tenure Track Position and If I Have Time to
> Date, Great, But If Not It Won't Be the End Of the World Because I'm
> Fully Self-Actualized All By My Little Self." Sleeping Beauty and
> Snow White? My life was so bad that I was in a COMA until you came
> along! UGH!

*snort* I think you just made my day! :)

Robin T.
dd#1, 12/25/00
dd#2, 10/05/04

Sue
March 4th 05, 05:33 PM
Well personally, I think you're reading too much into it. My kids watch all
of those movies you have mentioned (except we haven't seen the Jamiaca one).
It kind of has gone over their heads, they don't think like us adults do.
Anyway, messages about going to college and being someone does indeed come
from me and I tell them all the time to have a career and go to college and
not setlle for depending on a man to take care of them.
--

Sue (mom to three girls)
> wrote in message
ups.com...

> PattyMomVA wrote:
>
> > Ack, you're not crazy; I can't stand that video. My DD got it in the
>
> > package with the My Scene doll. It's called "Jammin' in Jamaica."
> It's
> > boy-crazy trash. Once I saw what was going on in the movie, I hid
> it. I
> > haven't had a chance to get rid of it yet but maybe it's going in the
>
> > garbage today.
>
> I am SO relieved to know that I'm not the only one who thought that it
> was trash! My husband came down on me, later, for being a "spoil
> sport" and taking things "too seriously" - I told him that these
> seemingly innocent messages that girls get everywhere contribute to
> girls growing up crazy and miserable - it's not like they take us aside
> in gym class and teach us to subjugate who we are and what we want to
> the whims of our boyfriends/partners. It's a subtle, ongoing lecture
> that we get from our culture all the time, and it's terribly hard to
> fight.
>
> I love the Disney princess movies, but I hate the messages! I hate
> that Ariel gave up her family and her whole world to be with Prince
> Eric - why couldn't he have become a fish for a change? Or why
> couldn't they have been fish during the summer and fall, and people
> during the winter and spring? But no, she's been waiting for her life
> to start when a boy glances her way and makes her "real." Ugh. Same
> with Cinderella - Someday My Prince Will Come - how about Someday I'll
> Complete My PhD and Get a Tenure Track Position and If I Have Time to
> Date, Great, But If Not It Won't Be the End Of the World Because I'm
> Fully Self-Actualized All By My Little Self." Sleeping Beauty and Snow
> White? My life was so bad that I was in a COMA until you came along!
> UGH!
>
> Mulan isn't bad, though... I have to give them credit for improvement.
>
> > I wish I'd heard your lecture. :-)
>
> Hee... I can get really passionate about such things... I said
> something about "the patriarchy" once, and my husband said, "There is
> no patriarchy," and I replied, "You only say that because you ARE the
> patriarchy!!" He didn't think it was too funny...
>
> Amy

March 4th 05, 07:05 PM
Sue wrote:
> Well personally, I think you're reading too much into it.

I tend to do that... You might've noticed. :)

> My kids watch all
> of those movies you have mentioned (except we haven't seen the
Jamiaca one).
> It kind of has gone over their heads, they don't think like us adults
do.

I plan to let my kids watch them, too. Like I said, I love them... I
just wish that the boys would make equal sacrifices to those that the
girls make... But like I said, Mulan was better. She even ended up
saving the guys in the end! Maybe the next movie will be even more
equal.

It's not that I want to put men into the traditional female role of
giving up everything, either - a common misconception is that men need
to be treated badly or need to give up everything in order for women to
achieve equality. I don't think that. I think women and men are
different, and I think that's ok. I just like equality. I like it
when everyone has to make equal sacrifices, and everyone gets equal
rewards. I like it when girls have goals outside of "winning a man" in
films and books.

But I'll still let my kids watch the movies, and dress up as Ariel or
Belle for Halloween... No biggie.

> Anyway, messages about going to college and being someone does indeed
come
> from me and I tell them all the time to have a career and go to
college and
> not setlle for depending on a man to take care of them.

What's totally ironic is that I went to college and got a degree that
I've never used, my husband makes 3x more money than I do, and I'm his
secretary. Hahaha... Talk about giving everything up for him and
being taken care of! I didn't set out for this to happen, though, it
kind of just worked out this way. I did move to The Big City and I
lived on my own (with a roommate) for a while, so I've proven that I'm
capable of taking care of myself. It's just not as much fun! :P

Amy

PattyMomVA
March 4th 05, 09:17 PM
> wrote and I snipped:
>
> Sue wrote:
>> Well personally, I think you're reading too much into it.
>
> I plan to let my kids watch them, too. Like I said, I love them... I
> just wish that the boys would make equal sacrifices to those that the
> girls make... But like I said, Mulan was better. She even ended up
> saving the guys in the end! Maybe the next movie will be even more
> equal.
>
> But I'll still let my kids watch the movies, and dress up as Ariel or
> Belle for Halloween... No biggie.

Well, I can't stand The Little Mermaid. Ariel defies her father and falls
in love with a guy based on looks alone. Definitely not the values I want
to teach my kids. I agree Mulan is better; it portrays very strong young
woman. And, don't dis Belle. Beauty and the Beast features a young woman
who loves and respects her father. She falls in love with the Beast for who
he is inside.

I don't think it's "reading too much" to only bring into our home movies
whose values I don't completely disagree with. Disney or not! Disney is
not the end-all be-all of children's film. So, while I wouldn't censor what
my children watch elsewhere (e.g., a friend's house), I'm not buying my DD
The Little Mermaid (even though it does have a cool song or two).

-Patty, mom of 3

Larry McMahan
March 4th 05, 09:30 PM
> writes:

: We were thinking of taking them
: to see Aladdin on stage - do you think a 4 year old is ready for
: theater?

Yes! This sound like a GREAT idea. Espacially when there are a
lot of other children present.

Beyond that read to them. Children love to be told stories.

Good luck,
Larry

Sue
March 4th 05, 09:45 PM
> wrote in message
> I plan to let my kids watch them, too. Like I said, I love them... I
> just wish that the boys would make equal sacrifices to those that the
> girls make... But like I said, Mulan was better. She even ended up
> saving the guys in the end! Maybe the next movie will be even more
> equal.

I just never thought about the movies in the way you have. I guess I am too
busy watching it and not thinking much deeper than what is going on. My
Little Mermaid is my favorite Disney movie and I very much disliked Mulan.

> What's totally ironic is that I went to college and got a degree that
> I've never used, my husband makes 3x more money than I do, and I'm his
> secretary. Hahaha... Talk about giving everything up for him and
> being taken care of! I didn't set out for this to happen, though, it
> kind of just worked out this way. I did move to The Big City and I
> lived on my own (with a roommate) for a while, so I've proven that I'm
> capable of taking care of myself. It's just not as much fun! :P

My husband used to call me his little investment when I was going through
college. I was supposed to go back to work after our first was born, but she
ended up having medical problems and I have never returned out to work. I do
work at home and have for 7 years. But, I never thought I would be this
dependent on my hubby.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Sue
March 4th 05, 09:51 PM
"PattyMomVA" > wrote in message
> Well, I can't stand The Little Mermaid. Ariel defies her father and falls
> in love with a guy based on looks alone. Definitely not the values I want
> to teach my kids.

Little Mermaid is my favorite movie. Like I said to Amy, I just don't think
about the underlying messages when I am watching a kid's movie. It's just a
fun movie to watch. I don't shelter my kids in that way. They can see
someone else misbehaving and getting in trouble. It's not like as soon as
they see a movie they start doing what Ariel does. Adults tend to over-think
everything.

>I agree Mulan is better; it portrays very strong young woman. And, don't
dis Belle. >Beauty and the Beast features a young woman who loves and
respects her father. >She falls in love with the Beast for who he is
inside.

I didn't like Mulan at all, but I did like Beauty and the Beast.

> I don't think it's "reading too much" to only bring into our home movies
> whose values I don't completely disagree with. Disney or not! Disney is
> not the end-all be-all of children's film. So, while I wouldn't censor
what
> my children watch elsewhere (e.g., a friend's house), I'm not buying my DD
> The Little Mermaid (even though it does have a cool song or two).

To each their own. I dislike adults taking the fun out of life for kids.
Half the time, the stuff goes over their head. Like I said, I don't shelter
my kids from this stuff. It opens up communication and I get to tell my kids
what I think and we can discuss things if issues come up. I find that's a
better way to handle what I believe in.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Emily
March 5th 05, 01:35 AM
Sue wrote:
> Well personally, I think you're reading too much into it. My kids watch all
> of those movies you have mentioned (except we haven't seen the Jamiaca one).
> It kind of has gone over their heads, they don't think like us adults do.
> Anyway, messages about going to college and being someone does indeed come
> from me and I tell them all the time to have a career and go to college and
> not setlle for depending on a man to take care of them.

Even if it goes over their heads, it presents one state of affairs
as "normal". If that message is reinforced and not counteracted,
I think it can be quite harmful.

Just my $0.02.

Emily

.... and why isn't the "cent" sign in ascii?

Cuddlefish
March 5th 05, 03:29 AM
And then they get to high school [which is where I see them, as a high
school teacher] and oddly enough as puberty sets in they start acting out
these roles they have seen as children, believing them to be the norm...
Somewhere in their psyche, the images from their youth are still there, and
being processed.

--
Jacqueline

"Emily" > wrote in message
> Sue wrote:
>> Well personally, I think you're reading too much into it. My kids watch
>> all
>> of those movies you have mentioned (except we haven't seen the Jamiaca
>> one).
>> It kind of has gone over their heads, they don't think like us adults do.
>> Anyway, messages about going to college and being someone does indeed
>> come
>> from me and I tell them all the time to have a career and go to college
>> and
>> not setlle for depending on a man to take care of them.
>
> Even if it goes over their heads, it presents one state of affairs
> as "normal". If that message is reinforced and not counteracted,
> I think it can be quite harmful.
>
> Just my $0.02.
>
> Emily
>
> ... and why isn't the "cent" sign in ascii?

Sue
March 5th 05, 01:02 PM
"Cuddlefish" > wrote in message
> And then they get to high school [which is where I see them, as a high
> school teacher] and oddly enough as puberty sets in they start acting out
> these roles they have seen as children, believing them to be the norm...
> Somewhere in their psyche, the images from their youth are still there,
and
> being processed.he

Oh lots of do that anyway, it doesn't matter if they have watched it or not.
I know quite a few kids that were friends with my oldest, who never watched
TV. They are the most boy crazy and wearing all kids of slutty things. My
daughter has watched those movies, heard my opinion about them and is not
currently boy crazy and still wears clothes that are appropriate for her
age.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Cuddlefish
March 5th 05, 05:18 PM
"Sue" > wrote in message

> Oh lots of do that anyway, it doesn't matter if they have watched it or
> not.
> I know quite a few kids that were friends with my oldest, who never
> watched
> TV. They are the most boy crazy and wearing all kids of slutty things. My
> daughter has watched those movies, heard my opinion about them and is not
> currently boy crazy and still wears clothes that are appropriate for her
> age.
> --
> Sue (mom to three girls)

May she continue to follow this path and be a role model for others! :-)
Peer group pressure is HUGE.
I often wonder if parents actually are aware of what their kids get up to at
school sometimes!

--
Jacqueline
#1 Due late Jul/early Aug

March 5th 05, 07:44 PM
Sue wrote:

> Oh lots of do that anyway, it doesn't matter if they have watched it
or not.
> I know quite a few kids that were friends with my oldest, who never
watched
> TV. They are the most boy crazy and wearing all kids of slutty
things. My
> daughter has watched those movies, heard my opinion about them and is
not
> currently boy crazy and still wears clothes that are appropriate for
her
> age.

Sue, please don't think that by criticizing the Disney movies, I'm
critiquing your parenting! I'm not! I grew up watching the Disney
movies, too. Heck, my mom let me watch "Revenge of the Nerds" (WAY
worse than any Disney movie) when I was 12 or so, and I turned out
fine. I think inappropriate movies, or even appropriate movies that
can be "spun" to have an inappropriate meanings, can be used as
teaching tools... It can start a great discussion, like the one I had
with my nieces (well, I thought it was great, they probably thought it
was a lecture...).

I think those Bratz dolls should be banned, though, and I refuse to
budge on the issue! They're just trashy.

To update on the babysitting situation - the 8 year old came down with
the flu last night, so they didn't come over. The four year old and
her mom came over and had lunch with us, and she and my husband played
Legos for a while.

When they called this morning, I answered the phone. My husband said,
"Who was that?" and I said, "The governor, with a reprieve!" :)

I'll save the list for next time, though. Thanks again!!

Amy

Sue
March 6th 05, 02:41 PM
> wrote in message
> Sue, please don't think that by criticizing the Disney movies, I'm
> critiquing your parenting! I'm not!

No I don't feel that way. Anyway, you don't know my kids, my parenting style
or what my kids can handle or think. Everyone gets really twitchy when TV is
brought up. I have my own rules with the passive entertainment and so far, I
have been happy with the constraints my kids have.

>I think inappropriate movies, or even appropriate movies that
> can be "spun" to have an inappropriate meanings, can be used as
> teaching tools... It can start a great discussion, like the one I had
> with my nieces (well, I thought it was great, they probably thought it
> was a lecture...).

I was raised very strict as far as content with TV and was pretty sheltered.
I decided not to raise my kids that way. Any chance I got, I was watching
the forbidden shows just to see what the big deal was. My oldest daughter
has friends, where they have a no TV rule and when they come to my house,
all they want to do is watch TV. Also it seems the girls that were really
sheltered and forbidden to do many things are the ones that are rebelling
now at ages of 12. They are getting away from their parents and doing stuff
that I know their parents would be horrified. I have a pretty open
relationship with my girls and pretty much believe in the lines of
communication being open and talking about stuff they see. I have rules
about content with their TV watching and so far I think that I have done a
pretty good job. They are not swayed with commercials, each one of them has
taken classes on what advertisers do to get you to buy their product. Also,
we have four friends who work in the advertising industry and they have
gotten to see first hand what scams they pull.

> I think those Bratz dolls should be banned, though, and I refuse to
> budge on the issue! They're just trashy.

Well, I don't see what is so trashy about them. They are just ugly. I
haven't banned them and won't. I don't see a need. Anyway, my girls never
really showed that much interest in them anyway. We have pretty much moved
away from a lot of toys these days and are moving closer to music and older
girl things. I can see the toy days being over really soon as they have so
many other interests now. Having them play with Barbie and Bratz hasn't
changed them into trashy girls at all.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Sue
March 6th 05, 02:44 PM
"Cuddlefish" > wrote in message
> May she continue to follow this path and be a role model for others! :-)

I doubt that, but she certainly wears clothes that she is comfortable with.
She does have a friend who is constantly trying to change what she wears
into the trashy stuff and she told her off the other day saying that she is
going to wear what she is most comfortable with.

> I often wonder if parents actually are aware of what their kids get up to
at
> school sometimes!

I know, lots of parents would be horrified to see how some of them act. I
have seen first hand on how some of them behave. I have had to let some of
them know that their good kids are not as good as they think. And the ones
that have had strict rules and sheltered are the ones that are rebelling the
quickest.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Child
March 8th 05, 02:07 AM
> wrote in message

| I think those Bratz dolls should be banned, though, and I refuse to
| budge on the issue! They're just trashy.

Even worse than Barbie, whose also not exactly the role model I want to give
my little girl (ficticious little girl, I mean)

| To update on the babysitting situation - the 8 year old came down with
| the flu last night, so they didn't come over. The four year old and
| her mom came over and had lunch with us, and she and my husband played
| Legos for a while.
|
| When they called this morning, I answered the phone. My husband said,
| "Who was that?" and I said, "The governor, with a reprieve!" :)

What a shame! I was delightedly waiting for an amusing anecdote today!

Sue
March 8th 05, 12:47 PM
"Child" > wrote in message
> Even worse than Barbie, whose also not exactly the role model I want to
give
> my little girl (ficticious little girl, I mean)

I guess I'm lucky. So far, people (real) have been role models for my girls.
Their toys have never had a hold on them to where they want to be like them.
They play house with their Barbies and Bratz. They are doctors, nurses, vets
or whatever they are role playing for the day. They haven't even mentioned
the dolls body or clothes or nothing, so I consider myself lucky.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Hillary Israeli
March 13th 05, 12:46 AM
In . com>,
> wrote:

*be interested in going again. I don't have the energy for a lot of
*walking and stuff right now, anyway. We were thinking of taking them
*to see Aladdin on stage - do you think a 4 year old is ready for
*theater? Our only experience with this was when we took her to the

That'll depend on the kid...

*
*We could take them to see Pooh's Heffalump movie, I guess... But that
*seems an awful lot like sitting them in front of a TV - just a really
*big one. At least theater has redeeming social value.

Ooooh, my 4 yr old and 2 yr old just saw that and LOVED it (and I was
thrilled to have some time with just the new baby :))

h.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth