PDA

View Full Version : off topic, need gift ideas

bones
March 6th 05, 02:22 PM
Hello

I am about to have my first child in 8 weeks. My wife's shower is in 2
weeks. I would like to get my mother and mother in-law a gift that would be
representative of their grandparent status and for the work they've done and
will do for this up and coming child.

I would also like to get my wife a gift when the child is born. Not just
flowers and no EXPENSIVE jewelry, but something to say I appreciate and
thank her for dealing with the aches, pains and sleepless nights that she
has been through over the course of the pregnancy. She's not having an easy
time and other than helping her out this is a memento of my appreciation.

Any ideas are great
Thanks

Ericka Kammerer
March 6th 05, 04:18 PM
bones wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am about to have my first child in 8 weeks. My wife's shower is in 2
> weeks. I would like to get my mother and mother in-law a gift that would be
> representative of their grandparent status and for the work they've done and
> will do for this up and coming child.

Photo albums are popular. If they live nearby, it can always
be nice to give them something that has to do with caring for the
baby--sort of a vote of confidence that tells them the baby will
be spending some time with them. Of course, you have to be careful
with that sort of thing--you don't want to give the impression that
you just see them as free, on-call babysitters ;-)

> I would also like to get my wife a gift when the child is born. Not just
> flowers and no EXPENSIVE jewelry, but something to say I appreciate and
> thank her for dealing with the aches, pains and sleepless nights that she
> has been through over the course of the pregnancy. She's not having an easy
> time and other than helping her out this is a memento of my appreciation.

What about a little spa trip when she's recovered enough after
the birth? And there are lots of not-so-expensive jewelry options.
Those bead bracelets with the baby's name on them seem rather popular
(e.g. http://www.beadtrends.com/name.html). What is really important,
though, is that you really know your wife and think of something that
would be meaningful to *her*. Is she the sentimental sort to want
something lasting as a memento of this event? Does she wear jewlery?
Would she be more thrilled with some pampering, even though that isn't
something that leaves a tangible memento? If she's not all that fond
of jewelry, then it's a silly gift for her even if other women would
love it. If she's secretly longing for jewelry to commemorate this
event, then you'd be wise to find something nice but affordable ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Tori M.
March 6th 05, 07:38 PM
Did you have a favorite book as a child? When my Brothers exwife got
pregnant the first time my mom bought my grandmother a copy of a book she
read to me and my brother as a child.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/02
Xavier 10/04
"bones" > wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I am about to have my first child in 8 weeks. My wife's shower is in 2
> weeks. I would like to get my mother and mother in-law a gift that would
> be representative of their grandparent status and for the work they've
> done and will do for this up and coming child.
>
> I would also like to get my wife a gift when the child is born. Not just
> flowers and no EXPENSIVE jewelry, but something to say I appreciate and
> thank her for dealing with the aches, pains and sleepless nights that she
> has been through over the course of the pregnancy. She's not having an
> easy time and other than helping her out this is a memento of my
> appreciation.
>
> Any ideas are great
> Thanks

March 6th 05, 10:32 PM
bones wrote:

> I am about to have my first child in 8 weeks. My wife's shower is in
2
> weeks. I would like to get my mother and mother in-law a gift that
would be
> representative of their grandparent status and for the work they've
done and
> will do for this up and coming child.

Sheesh, after all the pestering my parents did, I think a baby is gift
enough! My mom actually told me, about two years ago, before we were
even trying, "I think I'm ready for grandkids now." I just said, "I'll
get right on that..."

> I would also like to get my wife a gift when the child is born. Not
just
> flowers and no EXPENSIVE jewelry, but something to say I appreciate
and
> thank her for dealing with the aches, pains and sleepless nights that
she
> has been through over the course of the pregnancy. She's not having
an easy
> time and other than helping her out this is a memento of my
appreciation.

I can't do much without a price range, here.

I can't speak for your wife, but I sure had better get jewelry, or
there will be hell to pay. I want a ring or a pendant with our child's
birth stone in it. Unfortunately, I'm due in August, and that means
peridot. I'm hoping the baby will be 2 weeks early in July or two
weeks late in September (my wedding ring has sapphires in it, so I
think this would be very appropriate). When I'm ready to skydive if
that's what it takes to induce labor in late August, please don't
remind me that I said that. Anyway, the good news is that unless your
child is born in April, most of the birthstones are pretty reasonably
priced. April is diamond, and it sounds like yours is due late April
or early May. May is emerald.

The trick with diamonds is to buy small ones set together. This is
very pretty, and is very reasonably priced:
http://www.diamondsafe.com/pendant-collectionItem.asp?diamonds=24313&adv=Froogle

Here's one with both, if you don't want to commit:
http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/ccn_search/st/emerald%20pendant/sy/productsx/ccsyn/260/prd/15450847/ccsid/336346275-16016/adtg/03050523

Oh, and you don't want to say, "Thanks for bearing my child," when you
give it to her, no matter what it is that you get - that makes it sound
transactional. You need to say, "You were so brave and I'm so proud of
you, and I wanted to give you something special to commemorate this
day."

Good luck!
Amy

Jenrose
March 6th 05, 10:47 PM
> I can't speak for your wife, but I sure had better get jewelry, or
> there will be hell to pay.

WHY?

Jenrose <---completely baffled

Emily
March 6th 05, 10:50 PM
Hi Amy,

I actually go the other way ... a gift from DH at the birth
of our child would seem odd. Pampering by DH during the pg
and afterwards, now that's lovely!

But anyway, I remembered having heard that there are actually
two series of birthstones. August, at least, has two. The
other is sardonyx, which maybe you'll like better?

Emily

Emily
March 6th 05, 10:52 PM
Tori M. wrote:
> Did you have a favorite book as a child? When my Brothers exwife got
> pregnant the first time my mom bought my grandmother a copy of a book she
> read to me and my brother as a child.
>
> Tori

That's a lovely idea, Tori! We got my mom some picture-holder
fridge magnets for her birthday just before DS was born, but
I think the book idea is just beautiful.

If you have a higher price range for this gift, here's an
absolute winner: www.ceiva.com (I have no affiliation with
this company). It's a digital picture frame + download service.
The person with the frame doesn't need to know anything about
computers. The person with the grandchild just sends pictures
to it.

Emily

Jenrose
March 6th 05, 10:59 PM
"Emily" > wrote in message
> Hi Amy,
>
> I actually go the other way ... a gift from DH at the birth
> of our child would seem odd. Pampering by DH during the pg
> and afterwards, now that's lovely!

That's about how I feel. I mean, for gosh sakes...he's been waiting on me
hand and foot, cleaning the house, etc. etc. while listening to me bitch for
9 months. The man deserves a medal...
Jenrose

Mary W.
March 6th 05, 11:29 PM
Emily wrote:
> Tori M. wrote:
>
>> Did you have a favorite book as a child? When my Brothers exwife got
>> pregnant the first time my mom bought my grandmother a copy of a book
>> she read to me and my brother as a child.
>>
>> Tori
>>

> That's a lovely idea, Tori! We got my mom some picture-holder
> fridge magnets for her birthday just before DS was born, but
> I think the book idea is just beautiful.
>
> If you have a higher price range for this gift, here's an
> absolute winner: www.ceiva.com (I have no affiliation with
> this company). It's a digital picture frame + download service.
> The person with the frame doesn't need to know anything about
> computers. The person with the grandchild just sends pictures
> to it.

We got the grandparents on both sides, Ceiva's for
Christmas a couple of years ago. *Huge* hit! And
what's more, my siblings send pictures to my parent's
ceiva also, so they get pictures of all the grandkids.

Mary W.

March 7th 05, 01:21 AM
Emily wrote:

> I actually go the other way ... a gift from DH at the birth
> of our child would seem odd. Pampering by DH during the pg
> and afterwards, now that's lovely!

He does that, already. I'm spoiled beyond all sense. He's a
sweetheart of the highest order. :)

> But anyway, I remembered having heard that there are actually
> two series of birthstones. August, at least, has two. The
> other is sardonyx, which maybe you'll like better?

Can't figure out what it looks like. Is it this:

http://www.gemhut.com/sardonyx.htm

or this

http://www.24carat.co.uk/sardonyx.html

The second one is pretty interesting looking, I'm not so sure about the
first... It just looks like a pretty rock (which is really all that
jewelry is, anyway... but usually it looks a little fancier than
that...).

This page either wants to please everyone, or it wants to sell jewelry,
but if I decide to like it, I can have my sapphires in August:

http://www.jewelrymall.com/birthstones.html

Amy (not sure what Ayurvedic is, but willing to convert)

NotMyRealName
March 7th 05, 01:23 AM
> I am about to have my first child in 8 weeks. My wife's shower is in 2
> weeks. I would like to get my mother and mother in-law a gift that would
> be representative of their grandparent status and for the work they've
> done and will do for this up and coming child.

Honestly, my parents and ILs would probably prefer photos and chances to
visit their grandchildren more than anything. They've done tons for us --
gotten clothes for the baby, cleaned our house, done our laundry, stocked
our fridge and freezer, played with DD, you name it. They even brought DD a
birthday party this afternoon, bringing the food and decorations themselves
so that I didn't have to do much (since our baby is just 3 weeks old). I've
thanked them many times, but what they really want is to see and cuddle and
spend time with their grandchildren (and us too), and they cannot get enough
of pictures of the kids to show their friends. :)

> I would also like to get my wife a gift when the child is born. Not just
> flowers and no EXPENSIVE jewelry, but something to say I appreciate and
> thank her for dealing with the aches, pains and sleepless nights that she
> has been through over the course of the pregnancy. She's not having an
> easy time and other than helping her out this is a memento of my
> appreciation.

I'm sorry she's having a rough time. My DH did bring me flowers after DS
was born, which I thought was incredibly sweet, but really what I appreciate
most are the times he makes dinner, gets up with DD on weekends so I can
sleep if I've been up a lot feeding DS, that sort of thing. If you're not
sure what needs to be done, ask your wife what you can do to help or what
would make her life easier. Especially if she's breastfeeding, help out so
that she can rest and feed the baby without worrying about other things
(breakfast in bed is awfully nice); also, if she's breastfeeding, encourage
her on that -- don't suggest that she quit or give the baby just one bottle,
and know where to go and who to call if she has concerns and questions. Of
course, DH's support and encouragement during labor were important, and he
did wonderfully at those, so no matter what your wife's labor is like, focus
on her and encourage her (and if she tells you it hurts, don't tell her
otherwise <g>), and do whatever it is she needs you to do (my DH spent
several hours during my first labor pushing on my lower back; I know his
hands were pretty sore afterward, but he didn't complain, and I sure did
appreciate the comfort the counterpressure brought me). Also, my DH loves
sending out pics of the baby to family and friends, and he tells everyone
what a good job I did during labor -- stuff like that really means a lot to
me. It tells me that he is acknowledging and appreciating the hard work
I've done, and that he is totally in love with me and our baby.

I'm not a big jewelry person though, (I rarely wear more than my wedding and
engagement rings and a watch, plus one special necklace that DH gave me
several years ago when I dress up) so take my advice for what it's worth.
I'd much rather have the pampering and emotional support from my DH than
jewelry. My DH also tends to write really sweet notes on cards for me at
the holidays, and I love those, so if you want your wife to have something
tangible, write her a love letter, telling her how much you appreciate
everything she's done/is doing and how much you love her and your baby.

--
-Sara:)
Mommy to DD, 3

March 7th 05, 01:26 AM
Jenrose wrote:
> > I can't speak for your wife, but I sure had better get jewelry, or
> > there will be hell to pay.
>
> WHY?
>
> Jenrose <---completely baffled

Because I'm terrified of giving birth, and if there's something sparkly
at the end, I think I can manage to be slightly less terrified. Pretty
much the same philosophy I had at the wedding (terrified of standing up
in front of all those people and laying bare my soul, not so much of
the actual getting married).

Besides, I got LINOLEUM for Valentine's day. And while I really did
want the kitchen redone, and it was a sweet thing to do, it's not
exactly romantic (well, I guess that depends on what you DO on the
linoleum, but, well...).

There are few BIG events in life - marriage and birth are two of them.
I think important events should be commemorated with jewelry.

Amy ("hell to pay" means I'll pout for 10 seconds and promptly forget,
though, so I'm not the shrew that I seem)

Mamma Mia
March 7th 05, 04:04 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Jenrose wrote:
>> > I can't speak for your wife, but I sure had better get jewelry, or
>> > there will be hell to pay.
>>
>> WHY?
>>
>> Jenrose <---completely baffled
>
> Because I'm terrified of giving birth, and if there's something sparkly
> at the end, I think I can manage to be slightly less terrified. Pretty
> much the same philosophy I had at the wedding (terrified of standing up
> in front of all those people and laying bare my soul, not so much of
> the actual getting married).
>
> Besides, I got LINOLEUM for Valentine's day. And while I really did
> want the kitchen redone, and it was a sweet thing to do, it's not
> exactly romantic

>snip

that is funny - i can see why you want jewels!

Anne Rogers
March 7th 05, 04:30 AM
> There are few BIG events in life - marriage and birth are two of them.
> I think important events should be commemorated with jewelry.

what did you have for your wedding, other than the obvious, a wedding ring?

Anne

Irrational Number
March 7th 05, 04:36 AM
wrote:

> There are few BIG events in life - marriage and birth are two of them.
> I think important events should be commemorated with jewelry.

Hear ye hear ye! I'm getting garage cabinets
for my birthday, but I'm getting a small
sapphire/diamond ring for this coming baby!

-- Anita --

Kelly
March 7th 05, 06:11 AM
So the baby isn't "sparkly" enough at the end? ;)

Deep down I wish my DH would have given me something as a token. However, I
have the least sentimental DH ever-the kind of guy that, although will
recognize Valentine's day or a birthday, despises Hallmark holidays and
birthdays or any significant event/date. sigh.

Okay, so my recommendation would be a certificate for a
massage/pedicare/manicure, a piece of simple jewelery (like a motherchild
necklace or bracelet) or a nice card expressing your sincere love and
admiration of her. Seriously, some of us just want to have a bit of
recognition with a card.

For the grandmas-a "brag book" photo album or a hooded towel,
washcloths,diapers to keep at their house. My mom likes to have little baby
stuff at her house-partially to lure of there and partially to see little
baby stuff :)

Good luck-I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Kelly
#4 2/15/05

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Jenrose wrote:
>> > I can't speak for your wife, but I sure had better get jewelry, or
>> > there will be hell to pay.
>>
>> WHY?
>>
>> Jenrose <---completely baffled
>
> Because I'm terrified of giving birth, and if there's something sparkly
> at the end, I think I can manage to be slightly less terrified. Pretty
> much the same philosophy I had at the wedding (terrified of standing up
> in front of all those people and laying bare my soul, not so much of
> the actual getting married).
>
> Besides, I got LINOLEUM for Valentine's day. And while I really did
> want the kitchen redone, and it was a sweet thing to do, it's not
> exactly romantic (well, I guess that depends on what you DO on the
> linoleum, but, well...).
>
> There are few BIG events in life - marriage and birth are two of them.
> I think important events should be commemorated with jewelry.
>
> Amy ("hell to pay" means I'll pout for 10 seconds and promptly forget,
> though, so I'm not the shrew that I seem)

Jenrose
March 7th 05, 07:18 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Jenrose wrote:
>> > I can't speak for your wife, but I sure had better get jewelry, or
>> > there will be hell to pay.
>>
>> WHY?
>>
>> Jenrose <---completely baffled
>
> Because I'm terrified of giving birth, and if there's something sparkly
> at the end, I think I can manage to be slightly less terrified.

When I was scared of birth with my first... I just remembered that my
grandmother did it 8 times, my mother twice, all without a whole lot of
"help" or trouble, and that I came from a long line of people who
sucessfully gave birth... Whether you believe in creation theory or
evolution, one way or another we were either made to birth or evolved to
birth, and our chances of coming through it okay are pretty darned good. I'm
not sure that sparklies would ever affect my "fear" level on something like
this...

> Pretty
> much the same philosophy I had at the wedding (terrified of standing up
> in front of all those people and laying bare my soul, not so much of
> the actual getting married).

For me, marrying my hubby was more about getting to marry HIM... he was the
sparkly. Don't get me wrong...the rings are stunning... but it was totally
not about jewelry. I guess my perspective is biased by the fact that my
parents, who've been married almost 35 years, didn't have engagement rings
and used $3 silver bands from a craft fair as their wedding bands. They have
always sort of wondered out loud if there's an inverse proportional
relationship between the size of the ring and the quality of the marriage,
but while my rings were "cheap" (both family pieces), they're both platinum
and diamond and *awfully* sparkly...and our marriage is pretty amazing. But
getting up in front of people is only minorly nerve-wracking for me, it's
not a terror thing.

> Besides, I got LINOLEUM for Valentine's day. And while I really did
> want the kitchen redone, and it was a sweet thing to do, it's not
> exactly romantic (well, I guess that depends on what you DO on the
> linoleum, but, well...).

lol! I got a cosleeper for my birthday, which was almost 3 weeks ago, and it
was just finished today. I didn't get anything for Valentine's day other
than dh and I going out to eat the Friday before, and I didn't care.

> There are few BIG events in life - marriage and birth are two of them.
> I think important events should be commemorated with jewelry.

For me, I think they should be commemorated with family... I'm just not a
jewelry sort of girl. I have my wedding ring and my engagement ring. I
happen to be wearing a pendant right now--because my best friend loaned it
to me. A birthing goddess medallion that has personal meaning for her, and
I'll give it back after this baby comes. I'm all for rituals to celebrate,
but "stuff" just isn't that critical for me.

> Amy ("hell to pay" means I'll pout for 10 seconds and promptly forget,
> though, so I'm not the shrew that I seem)

lol! I understand completely. My wonderful dh managed to disappear
completely for 45 minutes this afternoon and I threw a minor hissy fit about
it... and was fine an hour later...

Jenrose

March 7th 05, 01:30 PM
Anne Rogers wrote:
> > There are few BIG events in life - marriage and birth are two of
them.
> > I think important events should be commemorated with jewelry.
>
> what did you have for your wedding, other than the obvious, a wedding
ring?

That and the honeymoon... We didn't get each other gifts beyond that.

He has followed the traditional gifts since our first anniversary - for
paper (1) he wrote me a beautiful letter that I still have on my desk.
For cotton (2) he got me a t-shirt that says "loved." For leather (3)
we got each other bikes (the seat is leather. :) ).

I'm really looking forward to 25, 50, etc. :)

Amy

March 7th 05, 01:43 PM
Kelly wrote:
> So the baby isn't "sparkly" enough at the end? ;)

Jewelry has never kept me up at night, or made my breasts hurt, or had
to go to college... :)

Amy

L.A.
March 7th 05, 02:25 PM
"Kelly" > wrote in message >...
> So the baby isn't "sparkly" enough at the end? ;)
>
> Deep down I wish my DH would have given me something as a token. However, I
> have the least sentimental DH ever-the kind of guy that, although will
> recognize Valentine's day or a birthday, despises Hallmark holidays and
> birthdays or any significant event/date. sigh.

I don't know...my DH gave me kitchen cannisters for our first
Christmas. He's getting better now...I got a beautiful set of
aquamarine jewelry for my birthday after our son was born in March,
2003. But he's never given me anything as a keepsake for the births
of our children themselves. I guess the babies are keepsake enough!

My recommendation for a gift for the wife, if she's into jewelry at
all, is a nice charm bracelet. She can add a charm for the baby, and
any other children...as well as any other significant events in her
life. It's not necessarily expensive, but it's meaningful and
personal.

L.A.

Sue
March 7th 05, 03:06 PM
> wrote in message
>I want a ring or a pendant with our child's birth stone in it.

I waited until I was done having children and my husband bought me a ring
with the children's birthstones in it. He gave it to me for our 10th wedding
anniversary. It is truly a very special gift.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Sue
March 7th 05, 03:08 PM
"Irrational Number" > wrote in message
> Hear ye hear ye! I'm getting garage cabinets for my birthday,

I got a tool box, with tools for our second Christmas as a married couple.
It was a gift appreciated, but just not the right setting. ;o)

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

March 7th 05, 04:43 PM
Irrational Number wrote:

> Hear ye hear ye! I'm getting garage cabinets
> for my birthday,

We, too, just got new garage cabinets, but he had the sense to not make
them a gift!!

If you haven't yet picked yours out, I highly recommend these:

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productList&function=search&categoryId=COLEMAN.CATEGORY&topic=goShopping

They look fabulous, don't show dirt, are reasonably priced, are sturdy,
and are easy to put together. We've got a three drawer cabinet and a
two door base cabinet under the workbench, with the pegboard hutch on
top. Next to that we have the tall storage cabinet, and on the right
hand wall we have two of the wall mounted cabinets. We also put up
plywood on all the walls (where the nasty, nasty paneling used to be),
and painted it white. The last step (once we get some electrical work
done) is to seal the floor with this stuff:

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=16820-000000090-203006

....in a gray color with white and blue flecks.

We also put up racks that hold brooms and mops and whatnot near the
door, and then another one nearer the outside for rakes and shovels.
There are hooks galore for holding all kinds of things, from keys to
extension cords. My husband is going to put up some plywood shelves
near the ceiling, for storing Christmas ornaments and stuff that we
rarely use.

It is really, really beautiful. Unfortunately, it's also the most
"done" room in our house! Hahhaa... If only we had this sort of
motivation for finishing the rest of our projects.

Amy

Clisby
March 7th 05, 05:16 PM
Mamma Mia wrote:

> that is funny - i can see why you want jewels!

I'd *way* rather have a kitchen redo than jewels.

Clisby

Irrational Number
March 7th 05, 06:44 PM
Amy,

THANKS for the links! The thing about the garage
cabinets is that the house is mostly ready for the
baby, but the nesting instinct has to go _somewhere_
and I've been buying books about re-doing the
garage. So, the birthday gift offer from DH is actually
much appreciated. ;)

I'm still in the design phase, so those links will be
VERY handy.

-- Anita --

" wrote:

> Irrational Number wrote:
>
> > Hear ye hear ye! I'm getting garage cabinets
> > for my birthday,
>
> We, too, just got new garage cabinets, but he had the sense to not make
> them a gift!!
>
> If you haven't yet picked yours out, I highly recommend these:
>
> http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productList&function=search&categoryId=COLEMAN.CATEGORY&topic=goShopping
>
> They look fabulous, don't show dirt, are reasonably priced, are sturdy,
> and are easy to put together. We've got a three drawer cabinet and a
> two door base cabinet under the workbench, with the pegboard hutch on
> top. Next to that we have the tall storage cabinet, and on the right
> hand wall we have two of the wall mounted cabinets. We also put up
> plywood on all the walls (where the nasty, nasty paneling used to be),
> and painted it white. The last step (once we get some electrical work
> done) is to seal the floor with this stuff:
>
> http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=16820-000000090-203006
>
> ...in a gray color with white and blue flecks.
>
> We also put up racks that hold brooms and mops and whatnot near the
> door, and then another one nearer the outside for rakes and shovels.
> There are hooks galore for holding all kinds of things, from keys to
> extension cords. My husband is going to put up some plywood shelves
> near the ceiling, for storing Christmas ornaments and stuff that we
> rarely use.
>
> It is really, really beautiful. Unfortunately, it's also the most
> "done" room in our house! Hahhaa... If only we had this sort of
> motivation for finishing the rest of our projects.
>
> Amy

March 7th 05, 08:22 PM
Irrational Number wrote:

> THANKS for the links! The thing about the garage
> cabinets is that the house is mostly ready for the
> baby, but the nesting instinct has to go _somewhere_
> and I've been buying books about re-doing the
> garage. So, the birthday gift offer from DH is actually
> much appreciated. ;)
>
> I'm still in the design phase, so those links will be
> VERY handy.

You're quite welcome! We had a lot of fun doing ours. We started with
such a mess - rotten old paneling, creepy cabinets full of bugs and
spiderwebs, etc. It has been very rewarding to see the transformation.
The fun thing about doing the garage is that you can leave the door
open, and then the neighbors stop by to ooh and aah. No one did that
when we did the upstairs bath, because they couldn't see it! I had to
drag them in off the street... :)

I highly recommend spending the extra money to "panel" the garage with
plywood. That way, when you want to hang something up, you don't have
to worry about where the studs are. It's MUCH stronger than drywall.
I think that was the smartest thing we did. It costs about twice as
much as drywall, but drywall will dent as soon as you hit it with a
shovel or a car door. Plywood is more resilient.

Our next project is to turn the library into a guest room (which means
adding a fold-out couch, and maybe slapping some new paint on the
walls...). Then we're doing the baby's room, and new carpet in our
room. We might paint our room, too, as long as we're putting down new
carpet. If only I could figure out what I want, color wise... There's
always the leaky skylights, and the not-quite-to-code electricity that
are on the long-term to do list, as they're going to cost upwards of
$3000.

Ah, the joy of homeownership...

Amy

Jamie Clark
March 8th 05, 12:28 AM
I couldn't see the products because they aren't available in my zip code! :
( What is your zip code so I can pretend that they are in my area? I love
garage stuff!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Irrational Number wrote:
>
>> Hear ye hear ye! I'm getting garage cabinets
>> for my birthday,
>
> We, too, just got new garage cabinets, but he had the sense to not make
> them a gift!!
>
> If you haven't yet picked yours out, I highly recommend these:
>
> http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productList&function=search&categoryId=COLEMAN.CATEGORY&topic=goShopping
>
> They look fabulous, don't show dirt, are reasonably priced, are sturdy,
> and are easy to put together. We've got a three drawer cabinet and a
> two door base cabinet under the workbench, with the pegboard hutch on
> top. Next to that we have the tall storage cabinet, and on the right
> hand wall we have two of the wall mounted cabinets. We also put up
> plywood on all the walls (where the nasty, nasty paneling used to be),
> and painted it white. The last step (once we get some electrical work
> done) is to seal the floor with this stuff:
>
> http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=16820-000000090-203006
>

> ...in a gray color with white and blue flecks.
>
> We also put up racks that hold brooms and mops and whatnot near the
> door, and then another one nearer the outside for rakes and shovels.
> There are hooks galore for holding all kinds of things, from keys to
> extension cords. My husband is going to put up some plywood shelves
> near the ceiling, for storing Christmas ornaments and stuff that we
> rarely use.
>
> It is really, really beautiful. Unfortunately, it's also the most
> "done" room in our house! Hahhaa... If only we had this sort of
> motivation for finishing the rest of our projects.
>
> Amy

Emily
March 8th 05, 03:51 AM
wrote:
> Our next project is to turn the library into a guest room (which means
> adding a fold-out couch, and maybe slapping some new paint on the
> walls...). Then we're doing the baby's room, and new carpet in our
> room. We might paint our room, too, as long as we're putting down new
> carpet. If only I could figure out what I want, color wise... There's

My dad and stepmom just redid their kitchen. They were having a hard
time working out colors for the walls, and ended up hiring someone
to come out and "do the house's colors". She found a beautiful solution
for them which they never would have thought of (sort of a dark coffee
color, it looks great!). Maybe you can find a similar service?
I think it cost around $100.

Emily

Kelly
March 8th 05, 06:03 AM
....or made you realize what it is all about (and you thought it was the
hokey pokey), or kept you up in sheer awe and admiration, smelled sweet and
felt fuzzy..... :)

Kelly
mum to 4

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Kelly wrote:
>> So the baby isn't "sparkly" enough at the end? ;)
>
> Jewelry has never kept me up at night, or made my breasts hurt, or had
> to go to college... :)
>
> Amy

Irrational Number
March 8th 05, 06:23 AM
Jamie Clark wrote:

> I couldn't see the products because they aren't available in my zip code! :
> ( What is your zip code so I can pretend that they are in my area? I love
> garage stuff!

I don't know if you were intending the
above for me, but I'm in your area, so
I couldn't see the products, either...
(in south San Jose)

I could see the epoxy, which is cool
because I do want to epoxy the floor.

-- Anita --

Jenrose
March 8th 05, 09:47 AM
"Emily" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>> Our next project is to turn the library into a guest room (which means
>> adding a fold-out couch, and maybe slapping some new paint on the
>> walls...). Then we're doing the baby's room, and new carpet in our
>> room. We might paint our room, too, as long as we're putting down new
>> carpet. If only I could figure out what I want, color wise... There's
>
> My dad and stepmom just redid their kitchen.

My folks did theirs last summer too... OMIGOD is it gorgeous... Mom had us
paint the walls a deep red, the cabinets ended being "Caramel" on the body
with "Honeybutter" as the doors (so a gold with a lighter gold for the
doors) and "Honeybutter" for the ceiling with wood floors (oak) throughout.
Cambria counters in gold/grey granite-like tones... white for the appliances
and window trim. They redid the whole lighting system, too, with Mom
researching it to see what would most effectively light the space for
50+year old eyes... it's just all stunning. Oh, and the kitchen, dining room
and den are all one long great-room.. so the whole big area was redone in
these colors, with dark leather at one end, HUGE oak table in the middle,
new cabinets, etc. Our whole family did about 90% of the work--they hired
the cabinets done and had the countertops installed by pros, but Dad and my
daughter did the plumbing, dh and sis's husband helped dad with the
lighting, we all painted, did the wood floors, etc.

The oak table... we bought that one, but it's so amazing. Starts out at
smallest seating 8 people, expands to seat 12, and if we get another leaf
made, could seat 14.

Jenrose

Jenrose
March 8th 05, 09:50 AM
"Sue" > wrote in message
> > wrote in message
>>I want a ring or a pendant with our child's birth stone in it.
>
> I waited until I was done having children and my husband bought me a ring
> with the children's birthstones in it. He gave it to me for our 10th
> wedding
> anniversary. It is truly a very special gift.

Dad got Mom a ring this Christmas (keep in mind that it's really the first
"real" ring he's bought her... their original wedding bands were craft-fair
silver and the gold replacements they got 20 years later, she bought...)...
a gold band with a central sapphire, surrounded by six tiny diamonds
representing her children, children's spouses, and grandchildren (including
the impending one). He says that the central stone represents *her*...she
says it represents *him*.

<g>
Jenrose

March 8th 05, 02:10 PM
Jamie Clark wrote:
> I couldn't see the products because they aren't available in my zip
code! :
> ( What is your zip code so I can pretend that they are in my area?
I love
> garage stuff!

http://www.jnkproducts.com/osullivan-coleman-product.htm

Much better pictures, anyway, at the above link. The configuration is
a mirror of what we have (minus the wall-hung cabinet - those are on
the right hand wall), and our plywood is white.

I just love them!!

Amy

March 8th 05, 02:15 PM
Emily wrote:

> My dad and stepmom just redid their kitchen. They were having a hard
> time working out colors for the walls, and ended up hiring someone
> to come out and "do the house's colors". She found a beautiful
solution
> for them which they never would have thought of (sort of a dark
coffee
> color, it looks great!). Maybe you can find a similar service?
> I think it cost around $100.

That's a really good idea! I might have to try it!!

My mom's much better at this stuff than I am. If I could just get her
to come down and spend a day picking out colors (and carpet, God I hate
carpet) with me, I could make major progress...

Amy

March 8th 05, 02:16 PM
Kelly wrote:
> ...or made you realize what it is all about (and you thought it was
the
> hokey pokey), or kept you up in sheer awe and admiration, smelled
sweet and
> felt fuzzy..... :)
>
> Kelly
> mum to 4

I'm still cooking baby #1 - I haven't gotten to any of that stuff yet.
So far motherhood is a lot like mono. Tired all the time, a little
sick, etc. :)

Amy

bones
March 8th 05, 03:07 PM
Wow, I was worried that my original question about what to get my wife for
the birth of our child was a bit OT. I knew I would get some interesting
I feel like I should buy her kitchen cabinets or remodel something :)

Anyway, thanks to those of you that gave me some ideas.

Later

"Jamie Clark" > wrote in message
>I couldn't see the products because they aren't available in my zip code!
>: ( What is your zip code so I can pretend that they are in my area? I
>love garage stuff!
> --
>
> Jamie
> Earth Angels:
> Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03 -- Little Miss Manners, who says, "No skank you"
> and "Tank you very much, momma."
> Addison Grace, 9/30/04 -- The Prodigy, who can now roll over, and pull
> herself to standing while holding onto someone's fingers!
>
> Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
> Password: Guest
> Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up your own User ID and
> Password
>
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Irrational Number wrote:
>>
>>> Hear ye hear ye! I'm getting garage cabinets
>>> for my birthday,
>>
>> We, too, just got new garage cabinets, but he had the sense to not make
>> them a gift!!
>>
>> If you haven't yet picked yours out, I highly recommend these:
>>
>> http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productList&function=search&categoryId=COLEMAN.CATEGORY&topic=goShopping
>>
>> They look fabulous, don't show dirt, are reasonably priced, are sturdy,
>> and are easy to put together. We've got a three drawer cabinet and a
>> two door base cabinet under the workbench, with the pegboard hutch on
>> top. Next to that we have the tall storage cabinet, and on the right
>> hand wall we have two of the wall mounted cabinets. We also put up
>> plywood on all the walls (where the nasty, nasty paneling used to be),
>> and painted it white. The last step (once we get some electrical work
>> done) is to seal the floor with this stuff:
>>
>> http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=16820-000000090-203006
>>

>> ...in a gray color with white and blue flecks.
>>
>> We also put up racks that hold brooms and mops and whatnot near the
>> door, and then another one nearer the outside for rakes and shovels.
>> There are hooks galore for holding all kinds of things, from keys to
>> extension cords. My husband is going to put up some plywood shelves
>> near the ceiling, for storing Christmas ornaments and stuff that we
>> rarely use.
>>
>> It is really, really beautiful. Unfortunately, it's also the most
>> "done" room in our house! Hahhaa... If only we had this sort of
>> motivation for finishing the rest of our projects.
>>
>> Amy

Kelly
March 8th 05, 09:20 PM
I've never thought of it that way-that's a good one ;)

Kelly
#4 2/15/05

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Kelly wrote:
>> ...or made you realize what it is all about (and you thought it was
> the
>> hokey pokey), or kept you up in sheer awe and admiration, smelled
> sweet and
>> felt fuzzy..... :)
>>
>> Kelly
>> mum to 4
>
> I'm still cooking baby #1 - I haven't gotten to any of that stuff yet.
> So far motherhood is a lot like mono. Tired all the time, a little
> sick, etc. :)
>
> Amy

Child
March 9th 05, 02:41 AM
"bones" > wrote in message
| Hello
|
| I am about to have my first child in 8 weeks. My wife's shower is in 2
| weeks. I would like to get my mother and mother in-law a gift that would
be
| representative of their grandparent status and for the work they've done
and
| will do for this up and coming child.

My mother probably wants BABY PICTURES. Maybe get a framed picture of the
first picture for each?

| I would also like to get my wife a gift when the child is born. Not just
| flowers and no EXPENSIVE jewelry, but something to say I appreciate and
| thank her for dealing with the aches, pains and sleepless nights that she
| has been through over the course of the pregnancy. She's not having an
easy
| time and other than helping her out this is a memento of my appreciation.

I will want....a pedicure or a massage.

Child
March 10th 05, 06:18 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

| Jenrose wrote:
| > > I can't speak for your wife, but I sure had better get jewelry, or
| > > there will be hell to pay.
| >
| > WHY?
| >
| > Jenrose <---completely baffled
|
| Because I'm terrified of giving birth, and if there's something sparkly
| at the end, I think I can manage to be slightly less terrified. Pretty
| much the same philosophy I had at the wedding (terrified of standing up
| in front of all those people and laying bare my soul, not so much of
| the actual getting married).
|
| Besides, I got LINOLEUM for Valentine's day. And while I really did
| want the kitchen redone, and it was a sweet thing to do, it's not
| exactly romantic (well, I guess that depends on what you DO on the
| linoleum, but, well...).

Now, if that were PERGO, I would divorce my darling husband and steal yours
in a heartbeat <vbg>
Of course, I am just kidding, but its funny how people's idea of "great
gift" differs!

March 10th 05, 08:44 PM
Child wrote:
> > wrote in message

> | Besides, I got LINOLEUM for Valentine's day. And while I really
did
> | want the kitchen redone, and it was a sweet thing to do, it's not
> | exactly romantic (well, I guess that depends on what you DO on the
> | linoleum, but, well...).
>
> Now, if that were PERGO, I would divorce my darling husband and steal
yours
> in a heartbeat <vbg>
> Of course, I am just kidding, but its funny how people's idea of
"great
> gift" differs!

Hahaha! The Pergo goes in the forever house. This house is a starter
house, it gets lino and cheapish carpet... We're trying to only do
fancy things (like the garage cabinets) that we'll be allowed to take
with us. We hope to start building the forever house in 3 - 5 years.
I figured it was a good idea to actually have a house for a while
before I built one and did it wrong (skylights - bad idea, huge closets
- good idea, basement - good idea, etc.).

Amy

Child
March 10th 05, 09:35 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

| Kelly wrote:
| > ...or made you realize what it is all about (and you thought it was
| the
| > hokey pokey), or kept you up in sheer awe and admiration, smelled
| sweet and
| > felt fuzzy..... :)
| >
| > Kelly
| > mum to 4
|
| I'm still cooking baby #1 - I haven't gotten to any of that stuff yet.
| So far motherhood is a lot like mono. Tired all the time, a little
| sick, etc. :)

ROFLMAO, I keep telling everyone that. Pregnancy is alot like mono.