PDA

View Full Version : Sims, anyone?

Iowacookiemom
July 22nd 03, 03:34 PM
Henry (10 yo, nearly 11) is big into the Sims. He's got the original game plus
Superstar. He's never been big into computer games before, and we've moved
recently, so this has mostly been a Good Thing for him/us, giving him a
creative outlet and keeping his mind stimulated. He mostly enjoys designing
the houses; occasionally he will spend a day trying to get his Sims to
accomplish a task (for example, he spent the better part of one day last week
trying to get two Sims to fall in love and get married). For a (thankfully)
short time he found it funny to find creative ways to kill off the Sims he
didn't like (he appreciated the creativity -- for example, creating a room with
no doors -- *not* the violence).

Now, he wants Sims Online. I'm leery -- I do not want him interacting with
adult Sims players online. I can't tell if that's what Sims Online does or if
it's mostly a place to download stuff like new furniture, clothes, etc.

Anyone out there know Sims well enough to advise me?

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 10

Chris Himes
July 28th 03, 01:15 AM
(Iowacookiemom) wrote in message >...

> Now, he wants Sims Online. I'm leery -- I do not want him interacting with
> adult Sims players online. I can't tell if that's what Sims Online does or if
> it's mostly a place to download stuff like new furniture, clothes, etc.
>
> Anyone out there know Sims well enough to advise me?

We are pretty new to the Sims as well. We have had a lot of fun with
Rollercoaster Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon, but just started on the Sims.
After talking to some of my grad students who are Sims addicts (no
wonder they haven't finished those dissertations) I've decided against
the Online version for now. My older son is almost 12, but just
learning that he had to make his Sims kiss a lot before they would
sleep together seemed way more than he was ready to deal with!

Chris

Mary Ann
July 28th 03, 09:57 AM
Chris Himes > wrote in message
m...
> (Iowacookiemom) wrote in message
> >
> > Now, he wants Sims Online. I'm leery -- I do not want him interacting
with
> > adult Sims players online. I can't tell if that's what Sims Online does
or if
> > it's mostly a place to download stuff like new furniture, clothes, etc.
> >
> > Anyone out there know Sims well enough to advise me?

My kids love all the versions. As to the online version we did the free
trial and my kids begged for me to get it. I didn't find the other players
to be particularly smarmy but it just was not worth the money. If t was free
we would have kept it but for 10/month on top on the game purchase I said
no. They haven't missed it.