PDA

View Full Version : Ouch... first discomforts in pelvic area

Ilse Witch
March 8th 05, 04:39 PM
Towards the end of my first pregnancy I had symfesis pains that would
mostly constrict me in getting in and out of bed, turn around in my sleep
and walk up the stairs. That didn't start until roughly the third
trimester and was quite manageable.

Now I'm not even 15 weeks and already noticing symfesis pain and also both
my SI joints are definitely painful. It is a mild discomfort, and as long
as I pay attention to keeping my legs together when I move around, it is
no problem. But I am afraid this will only get worse from here on.

A long while ago someone posted an excellent link with lots of info, but I
cannot seem to find it. Does anyone still have it? All other suggestions
on how to deal with this are also welcome. So far I've started doing
pelvic rock and kegel exercises to prevent the muscles from completely
cramping up and that seems to work.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Iuil
March 8th 05, 05:01 PM
"Ilse Witch" wrote
> Towards the end of my first pregnancy I had symfesis pains that would
> mostly constrict me in getting in and out of bed, turn around in my sleep
> and walk up the stairs. That didn't start until roughly the third
> trimester and was quite manageable.
>
> Now I'm not even 15 weeks and already noticing symfesis pain and also both
> my SI joints are definitely painful. It is a mild discomfort, and as long
> as I pay attention to keeping my legs together when I move around, it is
> no problem. But I am afraid this will only get worse from here on.
>
> A long while ago someone posted an excellent link with lots of info, but I
> cannot seem to find it. Does anyone still have it? All other suggestions
> on how to deal with this are also welcome. So far I've started doing
> pelvic rock and kegel exercises to prevent the muscles from completely
> cramping up and that seems to work.

I've found www.spd-uk.org, http://www.pelvicpartnership.org.uk,
http://www.padge.eclipse.co.uk/spd.doc and
http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm to all be helpful.

I've been to the obstetric physio at the hospital and been given a pelvic
support belt whic does actually help, especially at night, and a sheet of
exercises to do (pelvic tilts, kegels and tummy tighteners mainly). I was
also warned *not* to use a heatpack but to ice the area three times a day
because it's basically a sprain of the ligaments and heat will make it worse
in the longterm. The other recommendation i got was to get in a swimming
pool for at least 30 minutes 3 times a week but *not* to swim - I can walk
or float on my back using my arms only. And finally to *rest*! No
housework unless absolutely necessary which I'm finding such a hardship ;-).

HTH - i've been in increasing discomfort since I was 20 weeks pg (now almost
31). At least I have an end in sight now.

Jean

Jenrose
March 8th 05, 06:20 PM
"Ilse Witch" > wrote in message
> Towards the end of my first pregnancy I had symfesis pains that would
> mostly constrict me in getting in and out of bed, turn around in my sleep
> and walk up the stairs. That didn't start until roughly the third
> trimester and was quite manageable.

I'm having less SPD now than I was weeks ago.

Four things help, but pretty much MUST be done in this order to work,
otherwise things go to hell fast if I'm already hurting.

1. Whenever I am on my side, I MUST use a pillow between my knees. Until my
belly got big enough to support itself, I also needed a pillow under my
belly to keep my uterine ligaments from pulling my pelvis out of joint.

2. When the pain was there, I would lie on my back for a very short period
of time...knees bent, legs together. First, my husband would try to pry my
knees apart while I held them together. Then he'd push them together while I
tried to pry them apart. Usually something would make a popping noise, and
I'd feel better. Not a particularly "fun" exercise, but hugely effective...
and after we'd done it a few times, I could usually "pop" things myself
without his help, while side-lying.

3. Several times, but not every time, after the pain was gone, I'd get into
a deep bath, so my weight was supported. Getting in a pool would have
similar effect, but I don't do chlorine well. I'd stay there 30-60 minutes
minimum. When I'd get out, I'd find my freedom of mobility MUCH greater in
all ways.

4. Doing some walking, squatting and other gentle movements of the pelvis
after everything was lined up and after I'd done a bath...this helps
strenthen the muscles to keep things from slipping quite so badly.

Jenrose

Crystal Dreamer
March 8th 05, 08:08 PM
"Ilse Witch" wrote:
> Towards the end of my first pregnancy I had symfesis pains that would
> mostly constrict me in getting in and out of bed, turn around in my sleep
> and walk up the stairs. That didn't start until roughly the third
> trimester and was quite manageable.
<snip>

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm is where I read up about
SPD. I bought a birthing ball - well actually a pilates ball, sat on it and
rocked back and forth. Eventually everything "popped" back in to place and
it felt a million times better. I definitely recommend getting a ball!

Good luck!

--
-Lisa
Due September 2005

Wildwookie
March 8th 05, 10:23 PM
Hi Ilse,

I had quite severe pelvic pain in the last trimester, I saw a physio
who supplied me with two braces/supports & crutches.

Quite early in the pregnancy though I started sleeping with a pillow
between my knees this helped alot. I also started using a pillow under
my bump when I got a bit bigger about mid 2nd trimester. As you're
carrying double it'll probably come on more quickly.

Other things I found helped were:-

Keeping mobile, it hurts I know but if I didn't try to walk a little
bit each day I really suffered and found it more difficult to move
the following day.

Birthing ball, this was fantastic I think it also helped DS turn from
Breech back to Cephalic too after 34 weeks.

Pelvic tilts & pelvic floor excercises, the tilts especially helped
with the pain I had in the lower back.

I hope this helps and that you find some relief soon.

All the best

Denise
DS12 Feb 05

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:39:07 -0500, Ilse Witch
> wrote:

>Towards the end of my first pregnancy I had symfesis pains that would
>mostly constrict me in getting in and out of bed, turn around in my sleep
>and walk up the stairs. That didn't start until roughly the third
>trimester and was quite manageable.
>
>Now I'm not even 15 weeks and already noticing symfesis pain and also both
>my SI joints are definitely painful. It is a mild discomfort, and as long
>as I pay attention to keeping my legs together when I move around, it is
>no problem. But I am afraid this will only get worse from here on.
>
>A long while ago someone posted an excellent link with lots of info, but I
>cannot seem to find it. Does anyone still have it? All other suggestions
>on how to deal with this are also welcome. So far I've started doing
>pelvic rock and kegel exercises to prevent the muscles from completely
>cramping up and that seems to work.

Anne Rogers
March 8th 05, 11:48 PM
someone posted this link for me

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm

I've just been rereading it and having been to see a chiropracter I am much
happier.

Anne

"Ilse Witch" > wrote in message
> Towards the end of my first pregnancy I had symfesis pains that would
> mostly constrict me in getting in and out of bed, turn around in my sleep
> and walk up the stairs. That didn't start until roughly the third
> trimester and was quite manageable.
>
> Now I'm not even 15 weeks and already noticing symfesis pain and also both
> my SI joints are definitely painful. It is a mild discomfort, and as long
> as I pay attention to keeping my legs together when I move around, it is
> no problem. But I am afraid this will only get worse from here on.
>
> A long while ago someone posted an excellent link with lots of info, but I
> cannot seem to find it. Does anyone still have it? All other suggestions
> on how to deal with this are also welcome. So far I've started doing
> pelvic rock and kegel exercises to prevent the muscles from completely
> cramping up and that seems to work.
>
> --
> -- I
> mommy to DS (July '02)
> mommy to four tiny angels (28 Oct'03, 17 Feb'04, 20 May'04 & 28 Oct'04)
> preggers with twins EDD August'05
> guardian of DH (33)

Jo
March 9th 05, 02:25 AM
Ilse Witch wrote:
> Towards the end of my first pregnancy I had symfesis pains that would
> mostly constrict me in getting in and out of bed, turn around in my sleep
> and walk up the stairs. That didn't start until roughly the third
> trimester and was quite manageable.
>
> Now I'm not even 15 weeks and already noticing symfesis pain and also both
> my SI joints are definitely painful. It is a mild discomfort, and as long
> as I pay attention to keeping my legs together when I move around, it is
> no problem. But I am afraid this will only get worse from here on.
>
> A long while ago someone posted an excellent link with lots of info, but I
> cannot seem to find it. Does anyone still have it? All other suggestions
> on how to deal with this are also welcome. So far I've started doing
> pelvic rock and kegel exercises to prevent the muscles from completely
> cramping up and that seems to work.

My SI joint on the right tends to externally rotate, and sleeping on
either side now causes pain in my hips. I see a chiropractor about
every two weeks which really helps for about a week.... I'd go more
often but it's $43 a pop (pardon the pun!). What I do notice is that I
have to concentrate on driving with my foot on the accelerator straight
aligned, not with my knee resting out to the side. This helps.

I don't have any real advice about the SP pain, except that some kind of
brace might work...

Good luck!

Jo (RM)

Ilse Witch
March 18th 05, 08:11 PM
Thanks for all the tips! So far things haven't progressed much, actually I
have the impression that with all the advice I've followed, it has gotten
slightly less. I hope I can keep it under control this way. As soon as I
notice it gets worse, I will go see a chiropractor. I've already found a
really good one.

I bought some nice and small pillows to sleep with between my legs and
under my belly. That works especially well when lying on my left side. On
my right side I have much less problems. I tend to roll onto my back when
I sleep, and putting a pillow behind me gives me lower back pains, so I
have to find a solution for that. I think I'll go try and find a body
pillow this weekend. And I try to walk as much as I can during work, but I
avoid going down the stairs, they kill me!

Yesterday I went to see my massage therapist and today I hardly noticed
any pain! She did recommend to see a chiropractor anyway, but her
impression was that with regular exercise, I might well keep this under
control another 2-3 months at least. Let's hope so!

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)
mommy to four tiny angels (28 Oct'03, 17 Feb'04, 20 May'04 & 28 Oct'04)
preggers with twins EDD August'05
guardian of DH (33)

Jenrose
March 24th 05, 05:01 AM
"Ilse Witch" > wrote in message
> Thanks for all the tips! So far things haven't progressed much, actually I
> have the impression that with all the advice I've followed, it has gotten
> slightly less. I hope I can keep it under control this way. As soon as I
> notice it gets worse, I will go see a chiropractor. I've already found a
> really good one.
>
> I bought some nice and small pillows to sleep with between my legs and
> under my belly. That works especially well when lying on my left side. On
> my right side I have much less problems. I tend to roll onto my back when
> I sleep, and putting a pillow behind me gives me lower back pains, so I
> have to find a solution for that. I think I'll go try and find a body
> pillow this weekend. And I try to walk as much as I can during work, but I
> avoid going down the stairs, they kill me!
>
> Yesterday I went to see my massage therapist and today I hardly noticed
> any pain! She did recommend to see a chiropractor anyway, but her
> impression was that with regular exercise, I might well keep this under
> control another 2-3 months at least. Let's hope so!

Glad to hear it's better. Postpartum, the number 1 thing that has helped me
has been HEAT. I have a "glorified rice sock" (it's about 8 inchs by 18
inchs, with channels sewn in and so it's like little 1-inch "tubes" of rice
in a large pad) that I microwave and then wrap around whatever
hurts...sciatic, pubic, whatever. More relief and healing from that in 24
hours than from the chiropractic, massage, etc. Though the combination
probably helps.

Jenrose