PDA

View Full Version : printing birth announcements

March 8th 05, 07:20 PM
Hi,
I'm new to this group and I'm not sure if this is where I should be
posting this dilemma--but I thought I would start here. I'm trying to
print birth announcements and not having much luck. I need to send out
100 so I'd prefer not to print at home. I've tried three outside
printers who use color lasers and they are not coming out. Any
suggestions?
Thanks!
Christine

March 8th 05, 07:28 PM
wrote:

> I'm new to this group and I'm not sure if this is where I should be
> posting this dilemma--but I thought I would start here. I'm trying
> print birth announcements and not having much luck. I need to send
out
> 100 so I'd prefer not to print at home. I've tried three outside
> printers who use color lasers and they are not coming out. Any
> suggestions?

When you say they're not coming out, what do you mean? Are they too
dark, too light, are the colors smearing? Do they print when you print
them at home? Could you print one at home and then take it to have it
color copied somewhere?

It sounds like you need to adjust the artwork. It's not going to get
much better, printing wise, than a professional color laser printer...

Good luck,
Amy

Ilse Witch
March 8th 05, 10:16 PM
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:20:58 -0800, wrote:

> I'm trying to print birth announcements and not having much luck. I
> need to send out 100 so I'd prefer not to print at home. I've tried
> three outside printers who use color lasers and they are not coming out.
> Any suggestions?

What type of software did you use to design your announcement? What type
of colour formatting does it give you? What format do you deliver the
announcements in? What exactly is the problem with the results?

Usually the printer can provide you with sample colours which have a
codenumber. If you select that number in your software, it will come out
exactly as on the printer's sample. However, this will only work for
simple line figures, it gets a lot harder with digital images.

For format I would suggest using PDF (Portable Document Format). Most
printers can handle this much better than Windows applications formats. If
you have access to someone with an Apple computer, try using that. IME
many printers work with Apple, it is ideal for graphic desings, and it may
reduce conversion problems from whatever format to PDF.

HTH!

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Jamie Clark
March 9th 05, 02:15 AM
I've done hundreds of copies of several things, including Dear Birthmother
letters that had photos that had to be cut and pasted on each by hand. I
ended up having both of our daughter's birth announcements done by various
companies -- I can't remember who the first was, but it was a birth
announcement type company. I then printed out wallet size photos of Taylor
to include in each announcement. The second, for Addie was Snapfish. I did
a simple smaller sized folded card with a full frame black and white photo
of Addie on the front, and her specs on the inside, and they turned out
great.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
> I'm new to this group and I'm not sure if this is where I should be
> posting this dilemma--but I thought I would start here. I'm trying to
> print birth announcements and not having much luck. I need to send out
> 100 so I'd prefer not to print at home. I've tried three outside
> printers who use color lasers and they are not coming out. Any
> suggestions?
> Thanks!
> Christine

CY
March 9th 05, 05:33 AM
I've heard good things about this place: http://www.amazingmail.com/ they
will print **and** mail them for you!
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
> I'm new to this group and I'm not sure if this is where I should be
> posting this dilemma--but I thought I would start here. I'm trying to
> print birth announcements and not having much luck. I need to send out
> 100 so I'd prefer not to print at home. I've tried three outside
> printers who use color lasers and they are not coming out. Any
> suggestions?
> Thanks!
> Christine

Marion
March 11th 05, 03:19 PM
I use Webshots.com for birth announcements, christmas cards, etc. , you
can order photo-cards from them based on photos in your personal
gallery. You can create a free account there. A box of 20 cards with
envelopes is $15.99.

You can see the templates for birth announcements at:
http://www.webshots.com/store/ , click on "4x8 Photocards"

Marion

wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to this group and I'm not sure if this is where I should be
> posting this dilemma--but I thought I would start here. I'm trying to
> print birth announcements and not having much luck. I need to send out
> 100 so I'd prefer not to print at home. I've tried three outside
> printers who use color lasers and they are not coming out. Any
> suggestions?
> Thanks!
> Christine

March 11th 05, 10:08 PM
Thank you all so much for your input. So, here's what I discovered-I
created the announcements in Illustrator and converted it to PDF. I
had the printer print out both files and found that anything that had a
"transparency" to it would not print from the Illustrator file. Also,
I got terrible banding because that is the nature of laser printers...I
think. Anyhow, it turns out that it's an Adobe Illustrator problem and
once I converted it to a PDF (turning off compression), I got beautiful
results. If anyone is interested, the designs I was trying to print
are here:

http://www.atcbabyofmine.com

Thanks again. What a supportive group--this is my first experience in
a group and I love it. =)