PDA

View Full Version : Hair Coloring

CY
March 11th 05, 04:06 PM
I am hearing mixed messages regarding having your hair colored during
pregnancy. I plan to get my hair colored this weeked (the grey is coming
through!). It's going to be a permanent color and it will touch my scalp.
What are the concerns with that? Is it only a problem in the first
trimester?

TIA!

CY

Melania
March 11th 05, 04:46 PM
CY wrote:
> I am hearing mixed messages regarding having your hair colored during
> pregnancy. I plan to get my hair colored this weeked (the grey is
coming
> through!). It's going to be a permanent color and it will touch my
scalp.
> What are the concerns with that? Is it only a problem in the first
> trimester?
>
> TIA!
>
> CY

I think basically it's a situation where not enough research has been
done for anyone to conclusively say "this is totally safe" or "don't do
it!" They know that some of the chemical gets through the scalp, but I
imagine it's negligible. I know it's not the same thing, but I've been
prescribed topical medications, including steroids, while pregnant, b/c
they are not thought to enter the bloodstream in a significant amount
(same goes for yeast infection treatments), and these are things that
are rubbed into the skin, not resting on the hair above the skin.

Everyone I've spoken to who discussed it with their doctor said the
doctor was far more worried about them colouring in a well-ventilated
space, than about chemicals getting through the scalp.

Lots of websites and books advocate getting highlights instead (I
personally don't see how highlighting can effectively cover grey roots,
though, but professionals know their stuff!), since almost none of the
mix touches the scalp.

My own doctor has no reservations at all about me colouring my hair - I
just use the semi-permanent stuff, like Natural Instincts or ColorSpa.
And I don't do it very often - did it once in my first preg, and twice
in this one. This, however, is not out of fear of what could happen to
the baby - I'm not going grey yet and I just wanted a boost in my
colour and body. My hair responds exactly the same way to dye when preg
as when I'm not.

Here's an interesting article on hair dyes and pregnancy, from the
Organization of Teratology Information Services:
http://www.otispregnancy.org/pdf/hair_treatments.pdf

WTEWYE acknowledges that there is no evidence that hair dye leads to
birth defects, but typically tells you not to do it anyway, just to be
prudent.

Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn basically just says to wear
gloves for application (of course) and not leave the colour on too long
(how long is it on at a salon? The stuff I use is 20 mins).

If I was a natural brunette who was dying platinum blonde and had to
dye my roots every 4-6 weeks, I might think about a change - mostly
because of the fumes issue, which might not harm the baby but might
make me feel sick.

Anyway. That was long!

I say go for it, and may it look gorgeous!

Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005)