PDA

View Full Version : Major Surgeries??

R Beckman
August 16th 03, 01:59 AM
Just wanted to know if anyones children had underwent any major
surgeries??My son was born with a heart defect and has had three major
heart surgeries since.(he is only three)
We have at least one more coming up in the distant future,and just
wanted to hear how anyone coped with these.

news.verizon.net
August 16th 03, 02:47 AM
My son was born with coarctation of the aorta, when he was two he had
surgery and we are also expecting another repair. (he is now 9 years old)
His twin had major surgery at age two also.
It is so difficult to watch your children hurt, but they are resilient and
seem to be able to bounce back without complaint, much more than any adult
that I know.
Let us know how he is doing.
> Just wanted to know if anyones children had underwent any major
> surgeries??My son was born with a heart defect and has had three major
> heart surgeries since.(he is only three)

Kathy Cole
August 16th 03, 07:02 AM
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:59:29 EDT, (R Beckman) wrote:

> Just wanted to know if anyones children had underwent any major
> surgeries??My son was born with a heart defect and has had three major
> heart surgeries since.(he is only three)
> We have at least one more coming up in the distant future,and just
> wanted to hear how anyone coped with these.

My youngest has had several surgeries, the most serious of which was a
shunt placement (neurosurgery) before he was discharged from his
four-month hospital stay (he was an under-24 week preemie). He was just
over two pounds and two months old (-2 months adjusted age at the time).

We were thoroughly and completely terrified each time Kyle had a
surgerical procedure, and I think the count is eight (four on his eyes;
the shunt placement and one revision (the latter combined with a
bilateral hernia repair); and a rather minor surgical placement, then
removal, of a central line shortly after birth). We are fortunate that
Kyle has not required surgery since late 2000. Our current fear is that
a shunt problem may crop up before he is sufficiently verbal to give us
early warning, prompting risky emergency brain surgery.

In all honesty, we didn't cope particularly well; we felt on a runaway
train and holding on for the ride was our only defense. So everyone
waking up alive and going to sleep that way has equalled 'good day' for
the past three-plus years.

My mother's recent death has spurred me into counseling. I highly
recommend it.

Cheryl
August 16th 03, 02:36 PM
wrote:

>Just wanted to know if anyones children had underwent any major
>surgeries??My son was born with a heart defect and has had three major
>heart surgeries since.(he is only three)
>We have at least one more coming up in the distant future,and just
>wanted to hear how anyone coped with these.

I'm no help but I am in the same position. My second son also has
heart defects and three major surgeries to date. He is due for his
Fontan sometime around his 4th birthday and I am very unsure of how to
deal with surgery at that age. Previously he has been very young (4
hours, 6 days and 7 months) so it was just a matter of myself and my
DH dealing with the PC and the surgeon, now it will be us working with
the doctors as a team.

www.parentsplace.com has a heart defects board in the community area
which is very active, you might want to ask your questions there.

--
Cheryl
Mum to DS#1 (11 Mar 99), DS#2 (4 Oct 00)

just me
August 17th 03, 02:35 AM
"R Beckman" > wrote in message
> Just wanted to know if anyones children had underwent any major
> surgeries??My son was born with a heart defect and has had three major
> heart surgeries since.(he is only three)
> We have at least one more coming up in the distant future,and just
> wanted to hear how anyone coped with these.

While you may not have been thinking of this when you posted, let me make
some suggestions on preparing your short person for the surgery. Many
doctors and hospitals are more than happy to explain the procedure in
child-friendly language, including show and tell on dolls and the like. You
can often make appointments with the hospital for a tour where your child
will be able to see where he will be staying, where *you* will be when he
wakens from surgery, meet some of the staff, and so on. Such preparation
can go a long way in making the whole event much less stressful for your
short person *and* you because you know what to expect, when to expect it
and so forth. There are also marvelous children's books for various ages on
going to the hospital, surgery, and similar things that you could read with
your short person during your bed time story hour [or whatever] for several
months prior to the event. This can also help prepare him for it so he is
more confident that he is going to be fine. If the surgery occurs in the
very black/white stage where death is also something children are pondering
[often around age 4-5] that will go a long way to allay his fears that he is
going to die for sure. If your short person is a particularly fearful child
or slow to warm to new ideas you may want to consult a children's therapist
or psychologist once or twice, but I wouldn't make a huge deal out of that
to your child, just obtain some guidance if you feel the need.

Good luck. So many kids seem to have these major heart surgeries these days
it is reassuring to know that the doctors usually have loads of experience
with this type of surgery.

-Aula
--
to contact me do not use reply to function but send non snail mail to my
first name at cfl dot rr d o t c o m

---