PDA

View Full Version : frozen peas, bananas for DD?

Jean
September 25th 03, 02:32 AM
hi, read somewhere that its ok to give children frozen peas, banana
etc. Did anyone ever check with ped that this is ok? what other food
can be serve this way? how long can we keep it in the freezer. do you
give it to them straight from freezer or do you let it thaw for few
minutes (10 min?). are the frozen peas from supermarket raw or cooked?
can it be eaten straightaway? is 3yo too young to start on frozen
food? perhaps i should try small amount to "test" whether her stomach
can take it? thanks.

Splanche
September 25th 03, 03:22 AM
>hi, read somewhere that its ok to give children frozen peas, banana
>etc. Did anyone ever check with ped that this is ok? what other food
>can be serve this way? how long can we keep it in the freezer. do you
>give it to them straight from freezer or do you let it thaw for few
>minutes (10 min?). are the frozen peas from supermarket raw or cooked?
>can it be eaten straightaway? is 3yo too young to start on frozen
>food? perhaps i should try small amount to "test" whether her stomach
>can take it? thanks.

What are you trying to accomplish here? If I read this right, and you have a 3
YEAR old, regular table food is appropriate. If you're talking about frozen
treats for teething babies, I'd skip the peas, since these can be choked on if
they're frozen.
If you *are* looking for something for teething, ToysR Us sells these little
mesh bags with pacifier handles. You can put almost any frozen fruit in and not
have to worry about baby choking while she's teething. Remember strawberries
are a common allergen though.
- Blanche

David desJardins
September 25th 03, 04:08 AM
Jean writes:
> hi, read somewhere that its ok to give children frozen peas, banana
> etc. Did anyone ever check with ped that this is ok? what other food
> can be serve this way? how long can we keep it in the freezer. do you
> give it to them straight from freezer or do you let it thaw for few
> minutes (10 min?). are the frozen peas from supermarket raw or cooked?
> can it be eaten straightaway? is 3yo too young to start on frozen
> food? perhaps i should try small amount to "test" whether her stomach
> can take it? thanks.

Frozen peas (and other vegetables) from the supermarket are cooked and
then frozen. My 3yo kids eat them frozen sometimes, although I think
less often as they get older. (Once they discover that the freezer has
popsicles in it, it's just much harder to sell them on frozen peas.) I
never would have thought to ask a doctor whether this is ok---why on
earth not?

David desJardins

Penny Gaines
September 25th 03, 01:43 PM
Jean wrote in >:

> hi, read somewhere that its ok to give children frozen peas, banana
> etc. Did anyone ever check with ped that this is ok? what other food
> can be serve this way? how long can we keep it in the freezer. do you
> give it to them straight from freezer or do you let it thaw for few
> minutes (10 min?). are the frozen peas from supermarket raw or cooked?
> can it be eaten straightaway? is 3yo too young to start on frozen
> food? perhaps i should try small amount to "test" whether her stomach
> can take it? thanks.

Frozen vegetables are usually (in the UK) blanched: ie put into boiling
water, but not throughly cooked. So the peas in the freezer are not cooked
properly. Over here they all have cooking instructions - boil peas for
about 4-5 minutes, or cook in the microwave.

My children were all eating ice cream before they were 3yos, so I don't have
a problem with frozen food per se. I wouldn't worry about them eating the
odd frozen pea (it would thaw in their mouths any way), but I would plan
on cooking them.

Maybe this is one of those strange differences between the UK and other
parts of the world: frozen peas are really common here and I would have been
surprised to find any weaned child who hadn't ever had them.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Tamex
September 25th 03, 06:23 PM
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:43:02 EDT, Penny Gaines >
wrote:

>Jean wrote in >:
>
>> hi, read somewhere that its ok to give children frozen peas, banana
>> etc. Did anyone ever check with ped that this is ok? what other food
>> can be serve this way? how long can we keep it in the freezer. do you
>> give it to them straight from freezer or do you let it thaw for few
>> minutes (10 min?). are the frozen peas from supermarket raw or cooked?
>> can it be eaten straightaway? is 3yo too young to start on frozen
>> food? perhaps i should try small amount to "test" whether her stomach
>> can take it? thanks.
>
>Frozen vegetables are usually (in the UK) blanched: ie put into boiling
>water, but not throughly cooked. So the peas in the freezer are not cooked
>properly. Over here they all have cooking instructions - boil peas for
>about 4-5 minutes, or cook in the microwave.
>
>My children were all eating ice cream before they were 3yos, so I don't have
>a problem with frozen food per se. I wouldn't worry about them eating the
>odd frozen pea (it would thaw in their mouths any way), but I would plan
>on cooking them.
>
>Maybe this is one of those strange differences between the UK and other
>parts of the world: frozen peas are really common here and I would have been
>surprised to find any weaned child who hadn't ever had them.

No, frozen peas are extremely common in the US, too. And the cooking
instructions seem to be about the same, as well. According to the
Jolly Green Giant on the bag, "frozen vegetables are as nutritious as
fresh!" There's even a toll-free number on the bag that you can call
if you have any questions about your frozen peas.

When I was a kid, we had a vegetable garden, and my sister and I would
eat raw peas out of it all the time! Raw peas are yummy, and they
don't make you sick. And, of course, when it came time to harvest
them, they were frozen so we could eat them all winter. Can't say
I've ever eaten a frozen (unthawed) pea, though.
--
Tamex

No matter how much Jell-o you put in the pool, you still can't walk on water.

**remove Tricky Dick to reply by e-mail**

Kevin Karplus
September 25th 03, 08:18 PM
In article >, Penny Gaines wrote:
> Frozen vegetables are usually (in the UK) blanched: ie put into boiling
> water, but not throughly cooked. So the peas in the freezer are not cooked
> properly. Over here they all have cooking instructions - boil peas for
> about 4-5 minutes, or cook in the microwave.

Four or five minutes boiling is probably going to overcook the frozen
peas.

Actually, frozen peas are quite good straight out of the bag. They
are cooked about the right amount then. I ate them that way a lot as
a child, when I could sneak them, since my Mom (being English)
insisted on overcooking them, at least when we were very young.

Nowadays, I'm too Californian to eat frozen peas---we only eat peas
fresh from the Farmer's Market or the UCSC Farm when they are in season.
(Good fresh peas make the frozen ones taste rather starchy.)

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Professor of Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Cruz

Cheryl
September 26th 03, 03:40 AM
wrote:

>My children were all eating ice cream before they were 3yos, so I don't have
>a problem with frozen food per se. I wouldn't worry about them eating the
>odd frozen pea (it would thaw in their mouths any way), but I would plan
>on cooking them.

This is where I often get weird looks - my kids eat frozen bread,
especially frozen fruit bread. It's something I used to do as a child
and I started giving it to #1 when he was very small (probably about
14-ish months old) because he wouldn't wait for me to defrost it.
Often I'm not even allowed to put any spread on it, not even butter.
I used to also eat frozen grapes and frozen oranges in summer.

As far as other frozen things go I read on a bulletin board once that
someone was offering their 9-ish month old child frozen peas as finger
food, she would just run them under the hot tap to defrost them.

--
Cheryl
Mum to DS#1 (11 Mar 99), DS#2 (4 Oct 00)

Claire Petersky
September 26th 03, 02:59 PM
(Jean) wrote in message >...
> hi, read somewhere that its ok to give children frozen peas, banana
> etc.

[snip]

> are the frozen peas from supermarket raw or cooked?

It doesn't matter. I used to eat raw peas and beans out of the garden
all the time as a kid. In fact, I hated cooked peas (still only sort
of tolerate them) and cooked beans until probably my teenaged years,
but I loved raw ones, and sometimes my mom would serve the rest of the
family cooked and I'd get them raw. Raw tastes better.

> can it be eaten straightaway?

Yes, although we have problems with kids taking out frozen peas from
the fridge, them spilling on the floor, and then the aforementioned
kid not cleaning them up. They tend to bounce and scatter. Even worse,
then them getting stepped on after thawing, grinding mushy pea bits
into the floor.

Another problem is when I am relying on there being frozen peas
available for dinner, and they've all been eaten by greedy children
grazing through the fridge looking for snacks.

As for bananas, have you never had frozen banana on a stick? You take
the banana, dip it in melted chocolate, and then freeze it for a
treat, eating it like an ice cream bar. Yum.

Claire Petersky )
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

Hillary Israeli
September 26th 03, 06:02 PM
In >,
Cheryl > wrote:

* As far as other frozen things go I read on a bulletin board once that
*someone was offering their 9-ish month old child frozen peas as finger
*food, she would just run them under the hot tap to defrost them.

So, it's ok to give a 9 mo old frozen peas? I worry about them aspirating
it or something. Am I nuts?

not-so-newly minted veterinarian-at-large :)

Kevin Karplus
September 26th 03, 08:29 PM
In article >,
Claire Petersky wrote:
> As for bananas, have you never had frozen banana on a stick? You take
> the banana, dip it in melted chocolate, and then freeze it for a
> treat, eating it like an ice cream bar. Yum.

We found frozen bananas a bit too hard. Instead we make "banana
dessert" which consists of frozen bananas and some milk whiled in a
food processor until it makes a foamy low-fat desert. I don't know
the proportions of milk to bananas---you may have to experiment to get
the texture you like. I've also added cocoa powder to the banana
dessert, but my son prefers it without chocolate flavor.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Professor of Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Cruz
Affiliations for identification only.

Ann Porter
September 26th 03, 08:36 PM
"Kevin Karplus" > wrote in message

> We found frozen bananas a bit too hard. Instead we make "banana
> dessert" which consists of frozen bananas and some milk whiled in a
> food processor until it makes a foamy low-fat desert. I don't know
> the proportions of milk to bananas---you may have to experiment to get
> the texture you like. I've also added cocoa powder to the banana
> dessert, but my son prefers it without chocolate flavor.

It's also good with some coconut and crushed pineapple. Pina Coladas!

Best,
Ann

Banty
September 26th 03, 10:20 PM
In article >, Ann Porter says...

>It's also good with some coconut and crushed pineapple. Pina Coladas!

..especially if a certain old-fashioned remedy for teething is mixed in.

Banty (not making any recommendataions :-)

Cheryl
September 27th 03, 04:15 AM
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:02:53 EDT, (Hillary
Israeli) wrote:

>In >,
>Cheryl > wrote:
>
>* As far as other frozen things go I read on a bulletin board once that
>*someone was offering their 9-ish month old child frozen peas as finger
>*food, she would just run them under the hot tap to defrost them.
>
>So, it's ok to give a 9 mo old frozen peas? I worry about them aspirating
>it or something. Am I nuts?

Only a little bit ;) If it really bugs you, defrost them and squash
them a little.