PDA

View Full Version : Update on 2 broken arms, and cool side-benefit!

Robyn Kozierok
October 2nd 03, 04:12 PM
Matthew got his casts off Tuesday afternoon. (yay!) He's as good as new.

Wednesday I was volunteering in the boys' school. I got to work with Matthew
on his reading, and after he read to me he had to add something to his
reading journal. I noticed that he picked up the pencil the correct way
and began writing with the proper grip. When I commented on it, he said
that he hadn't been able to hold it his usual contorted way (fist minus
pinkie) with his casts on. So, 4 weeks in a cast has fixed his pencil grip!
cool! (He tried to show me his old grip and couldn't even remember how he
used to do it!)

--Robyn
~

Karen G
October 2nd 03, 09:30 PM
When my (then) two year old broke her arm last year, I asked the doctor
in the ER if we would have to do physical therapy. She laughed and
said, no toddlers seem to move around enough on their own.

Karen G

Jayne Kulikauskas
October 2nd 03, 10:04 PM
"Robyn Kozierok" > wrote in message

> Matthew got his casts off Tuesday afternoon. (yay!) He's as good as new.

Great!

> Wednesday I was volunteering in the boys' school. I got to work with
Matthew
> on his reading, and after he read to me he had to add something to his
> reading journal. I noticed that he picked up the pencil the correct way
> and began writing with the proper grip. When I commented on it, he said
> that he hadn't been able to hold it his usual contorted way (fist minus
> pinkie) with his casts on. So, 4 weeks in a cast has fixed his pencil
grip!
> cool! (He tried to show me his old grip and couldn't even remember how he
> used to do it!)

Now I know what to threaten my children with if they don't hold their
pencils properly. <g>

Jayne

just me
October 2nd 03, 10:59 PM
"Robyn Kozierok" > wrote in message

> Matthew got his casts off Tuesday afternoon. (yay!) He's as good as new.
>
> Wednesday I was volunteering in the boys' school. I got to work with
Matthew
> on his reading, and after he read to me he had to add something to his
> reading journal. I noticed that he picked up the pencil the correct way
> and began writing with the proper grip. When I commented on it, he said
> that he hadn't been able to hold it his usual contorted way (fist minus
> pinkie) with his casts on. So, 4 weeks in a cast has fixed his pencil
grip!
> cool! (He tried to show me his old grip and couldn't even remember how he
> used to do it!)

Now that sure is one way to cure poor grip! Don't carry it out to any poor
posture issues, though <jk>!

-Aula