PDA

View Full Version : Re: stuttering

dragonlady
July 8th 03, 06:36 PM
In article >,
"Elana Person" > wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I lurk mostly everyday and now actually have a question myself... DS is 2.5
> and in the last month or so, he has started stuttering. His speech is
> fairly good, upwards of 8-9 word sentences and his pronunciation is pretty
> good (he can't do the k sound).
>
> From what I have read, it is fairly normal as their language is quickly
> improving. I've also read that it happens to most kids only when they are
> tired or excited. Not so for DS, it is most of the time. However, he
> doesn't appear to be friustrated with it ( not tenseness in his face or
> jaw). Supposedly it should stop within 3-6 months, but I'm wondering if
> anyone else has gone through this and how quickly it passed.
>
> I feel so bad for him when he is talking to his friends as they can't always
> understand him and they aren't patient enough to wait for him to finish.
>
> Any advice or experiences?
>
> TIA,
> Elana
> Mom to Timmy 1/5/01 + Sam 8/28/02

I had similar concerns with my oldest, and actually spoke to a speech
therapist, who told me that what she was doing wasn't true stuttering;
she called it (iirc) a "functional speech disfluency", and said it was a
fairly normal phase, especially for children who speak young. Their
brains just get ahead of their ability to articulate.

All three of my kids did it, but she explained the difference, and,
having now met kids who really DO stutter, I can pick out the difference.

If you are really worried, go ahead and have him evaluated, but
otherwise just relax, don't speak for him, and don't worry about it.

meh

Marion Baumgarten
July 8th 03, 10:05 PM
Elana Person > wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I lurk mostly everyday and now actually have a question myself... DS is 2.5
> and in the last month or so, he has started stuttering. His speech is
> fairly good, upwards of 8-9 word sentences and his pronunciation is pretty
> good (he can't do the k sound).
>
> From what I have read, it is fairly normal as their language is quickly
> improving. I've also read that it happens to most kids only when they are
> tired or excited. Not so for DS, it is most of the time. However, he
> doesn't appear to be friustrated with it ( not tenseness in his face or
> jaw). Supposedly it should stop within 3-6 months, but I'm wondering if
> anyone else has gone through this and how quickly it passed.
>
> I feel so bad for him when he is talking to his friends as they can't always
> understand him and they aren't patient enough to wait for him to finish.
>
> Any advice or experiences?
>
> TIA,
> Elana
> Mom to Timmy 1/5/01 + Sam 8/28/02

Stuttering at this age is not unusaul (my daughter was a stutter). If he
is not getting upset then I wouldn't worry about it. She did she see a
speech therapist at age 4 because she was still stuttering
intermittently and was getting upset about it.

Elana Person
July 9th 03, 02:01 PM
(Marion Baumgarten) wrote in message >...
> Elana Person > wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I lurk mostly everyday and now actually have a question myself... DS is 2.5
> > and in the last month or so, he has started stuttering. His speech is
> > fairly good, upwards of 8-9 word sentences and his pronunciation is pretty
> > good (he can't do the k sound).
> >
> > From what I have read, it is fairly normal as their language is quickly
> > improving. I've also read that it happens to most kids only when they are
> > tired or excited. Not so for DS, it is most of the time. However, he
> > doesn't appear to be friustrated with it ( not tenseness in his face or
> > jaw). Supposedly it should stop within 3-6 months, but I'm wondering if
> > anyone else has gone through this and how quickly it passed.
> >
> > I feel so bad for him when he is talking to his friends as they can't always
> > understand him and they aren't patient enough to wait for him to finish.
> >
> > Any advice or experiences?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Elana
> > Mom to Timmy 1/5/01 + Sam 8/28/02
>

> Stuttering at this age is not unusaul (my daughter was a stutter). If he
> is not getting upset then I wouldn't worry about it. She did she see a
> speech therapist at age 4 because she was still stuttering
> intermittently and was getting upset about it.

Thanks to everyone for letting me know we're not the only ones :) I
wasn't overly worried about it, but kind of wanted some anectdotal
evidence that it would probably pass. We are keeping an eye on it and
we'll see what happens.

Thanks again!
Elana