PDA

View Full Version : Tween decorating 101 -- Lime green bedspreads, anyone?

iowacookiemom
October 13th 03, 02:28 PM
Henry is busily decorating his new room in our soon-to-be occupied new
home in Texas. His color scheme is denim-like blue and lime green.
The influences of Trading Spaces are showing -- he is insistent that
we can make anything we can't find, and doesn't seem to realize that
the folks on Trading Spaces have unseen sewing staff who actually
complete the projects, unlike his harried mom who is working a new job
and trying to move the entire house, not just Henry's room ;-)

Normally I'd just ask him to wait until the dust settles on the move
and then I'd haul out the sewing machine, but two problems prevent
that: first, we have not had much success finding good fabric in the
right shade, and second, his cousins are visiting just two weeks after
we move in and I know he really wants the whole room set up in time.

Ideally, we would like to find affordable solid lime green ribcord or
similar fabric bedspreads. If we could find those, we could purchase
two or three and use the extras to make drapes, etc.

I've done a couple of websearches and the maddening thing is, I found
them at one point and now can't re-find them. Ideas anyone?

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 11

Claire Petersky
October 13th 03, 03:01 PM
> Normally I'd just ask him to wait until the dust settles on the move
> and then I'd haul out the sewing machine,

Maybe it's time for Henry to learn how to use that sewing machine :-)

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

Rosalie B.
October 13th 03, 04:22 PM
Why not paint the walls in lime green (you can find paint in almost
any color) and have the bedspread etc in denim - I think denim will be
lots easier to find.

Domestications has bed linens in a color called melon which is kind of
honeydew melon color (not cantaloupe). A little less edgy than lime
as it is lighter has less yellow in it. Or you could get this and
then Henry could decorated it with lime green and denim fabric paint
http://www.domestications.com/parent2.asp?product=d346350bx&dept%5Fid=10103

http://www.joshuashouse.net/kits.html has stamp kits with which Henry
could mix his own fabric paint and stamp or paint designs on curtains
which were whatever color of green you could find that would work
(moss green seems to be available everywhere, or hunter green - either
one could be stamped with a yellower green).

I have also used a couch cover throw as a bedspread - works especially
well for a bunk bed where you don't want it to hang down too far.
Here is one
http://www.innovations.com.au/cda/product/sku/0,1568,1402-19,00.html
which has a throw and cushion covers (which I think you could make
into a pillow cover probably). If it wasn't big enough, you could
quilt it onto a regular denim bedspread or just put it diamond shaped
over top.

Along the same lines, I have also found a table cloth - Fabric width
is 70", 100 % Polyester, Wash Warm/Dry Low and one of the colors is
lime green at
http://www.wholesale-table-linens.com/table-linens-polyester.html?mgiToken=IIE2LDL1889A33GA11J4&Category=Woven_Polyester_Solids&Mfr=TCC#
They will make the table cloth to the dimensions that you order it (so
you just order the dimensions of the bed) and it doesn't seem too
expensive. I have seen napkins used as a valance (just hang them
catty corner over the rod).

This is a chenille bedspread - white with lime green dots but I don't
think much of it.
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/books-n-things/item/CA12464

http://www.barkclothhawaii.com/overall_views/70lole.htm#36 has a
Hawaiian bark cloth with the background of lime green. But might be
too flowery for Henry.

Another idea is to find white or light green and dye it lime green

(iowacookiemom) wrote:
>Henry is busily decorating his new room in our soon-to-be occupied new
>home in Texas. His color scheme is denim-like blue and lime green.
>The influences of Trading Spaces are showing -- he is insistent that
>we can make anything we can't find, and doesn't seem to realize that
>the folks on Trading Spaces have unseen sewing staff who actually
>complete the projects, unlike his harried mom who is working a new job
>and trying to move the entire house, not just Henry's room ;-)
>
>Normally I'd just ask him to wait until the dust settles on the move
>and then I'd haul out the sewing machine, but two problems prevent
>that: first, we have not had much success finding good fabric in the
>right shade, and second, his cousins are visiting just two weeks after
>we move in and I know he really wants the whole room set up in time.
>
>Ideally, we would like to find affordable solid lime green ribcord or
>similar fabric bedspreads. If we could find those, we could purchase
>two or three and use the extras to make drapes, etc.
>
>I've done a couple of websearches and the maddening thing is, I found
>them at one point and now can't re-find them. Ideas anyone?
>
>-Dawn
>Mom to Henry, 11

grandma Rosalie

T68b
October 13th 03, 04:22 PM
>Ideally, we would like to find affordable solid lime green ribcord or
>similar fabric bedspreads. If we could find those, we could purchase
>two or three and use the extras to make drapes, etc.

check JCPenney catalog....i know theyve got some bright colors!

Rosalie B.
October 13th 03, 05:38 PM
x-no-archive:yes
(T68b) wrote:

>>Ideally, we would like to find affordable solid lime green ribcord or
>>similar fabric bedspreads. If we could find those, we could purchase
>>two or three and use the extras to make drapes, etc.
>
>check JCPenney catalog....i know theyve got some bright colors!

Yes and it just occurred to me to search on LIME rather than Lime
Green. LIME by it self works fine.

So JC Penny
http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductList.aspx?DeptID=7107&CatID=16551&PCatID=7107&Dep=for+the+home&SearchString=lime&SearchIn=7107&T8PageNum=1&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0
has bed linen sets, knit sheets, a shag rug, blankets, towels, a bean
bag chair AN D

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=7107&CatID=8161&CatTyp=&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=07ca544&ProdSeq=1&OffSet=1&ProdCount=1&Cat=boy%27s+room&Dep=for+the+home&PCat=&PCatID=8159&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&NumMatches=1&RecPtr=&SearchIn=7107&ShowMenu=T&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&PersistenceID=INETMER213+833401+-1468337203&RecordID=M+1+0+Aqc0000800+833401++Aqc0000800&SearchString=lime
bedspread and curtains

waffle weave - twin bedspread c $20.00 and curtains $30-40 each.

grandma Rosalie

Iowacookiemom
October 14th 03, 02:22 AM
wrote:
>> Normally I'd just ask him to wait until the dust settles on the move
>> and then I'd haul out the sewing machine,
>
>Maybe it's time for Henry to learn how to use that sewing machine :-)

Actually, he does know how, but with supervision -- and I'm such a control
freak/safety nut that it's a very stressful situation when he sews...

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 11

Iowacookiemom
October 14th 03, 02:23 AM
gmbeasley wrote:
>Why not paint the walls in lime green (you can find paint in almost
>any color) and have the bedspread etc in denim - I think denim will be
>lots easier to find.

Yes, but that's not, not, not what he wants! The walls are blue, the trim is
lime green and the accessories *must* be lime green.

Thus sayeth the master of the room

:-)

Thanks for all of the other great suggestions though!!

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 11

Iowacookiemom
October 14th 03, 02:26 AM
t68b@aolcomnojunk wrote:
>check JCPenney catalog....i know theyve got some bright colors!

Been there, done that, lots of bright colors but no lime green...
-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 11

just me
October 14th 03, 02:51 AM
"Iowacookiemom" > wrote in message
> Yes, but that's not, not, not what he wants! The walls are blue, the trim
is
> lime green and the accessories *must* be lime green.
>
> Thus sayeth the master of the room

Repeat after me: It's not black. It's not black.

-Aula

Rosalie B.
October 14th 03, 05:16 AM
x-no-archive:yes (Iowacookiemom) wrote:

>gmbeasley wrote:
>>Why not paint the walls in lime green (you can find paint in almost
>>any color) and have the bedspread etc in denim - I think denim will be
>>lots easier to find.
>
>Yes, but that's not, not, not what he wants! The walls are blue, the trim is
>lime green and the accessories *must* be lime green.
>
>Thus sayeth the master of the room
>
>:-)

Well then perhaps he ought to be the one to find it. And/or accept
that if he wants a particular specific decorating scheme, it may not
be possible to finish it ALSO on a specific time schedule. That's
reality.

I do think that blue walls would be nicer than lime green walls - but
then lime green isn't one of my favored colors.

>Thanks for all of the other great suggestions though!!
>

>-Dawn
>Mom to Henry, 11

grandma Rosalie

Rosalie B.
October 14th 03, 05:18 AM
x-no-archive:yes (Iowacookiemom) wrote:

>t68b@aolcomnojunk wrote:
>>check JCPenney catalog....i know theyve got some bright colors!
>>

>Been there, done that, lots of bright colors but no lime green...
>-Dawn
>Mom to Henry, 11

Well what is it that I found that they call lime green then?

grandma Rosalie

chiam margalit
October 14th 03, 05:19 AM
I've seen lime green bedspreads at Linen and Things, a store my
daughter and I LOVE to go to because she loves the linens and I love
the things. I've never bought one thing there (or linens, for that
matter) but we spend at least one day a month on the prowl just
looking. It's a great store for that!

I've also seen blue denim bedspreads there, as well as denim sheets.
Pricey, but a lot easier than sewing anything like this yourself.

Target also has a line of very bright *tweener* type decorating stuff,
with a lot of lime green accents. You might want to paint the walls
*apple* green, which is a bit less volitile than actual lime green,
but still very very bright. It goes well with red, believe it or not.
In an empty house, painting one room should go very fast, especially
since Henry is now more than old enough to help (and tall enough
too!).

I guess what I'd recommend is a green wall or 2, but probably not the
whole room as green can be unsettling in a bedroom or bathroom. I'd
consider finding a cool carpet with green and blue in it (you should
find that fairly easily) and some out of the package draperies. I'm
sure his furniture will fit whatever color scheme you choose unless
it's painted an odd color, and remember that *accents* are what bring
a room together. (Although my son, who is the same age, would swear
that posters are what make a room, especially if they're
inappropriated.)

Good luck, and you're right, Trading Spaces can be tres dangerous for
11 year olds. Have you seen the kid version yet? It's pretty good,
too!

Marjorie

Marijke
October 15th 03, 12:01 PM
My 14 yr old daughter has a purple and lime green room. The walls are
purple, the dresser drawer knobs, vanity and stool legs, and various other
little touches are lime green as are some of her cushions. I have a mirror
that I'm going to paint the frame lime green as well. The room looks pretty
good, actually. I sewed the curtains and a curtain to cover her closet (the
door broke and this seemed to be a good quick solution) with a deep purple
taffeta type of fabric and it looks very dramatic.

It's a popular combination, I've come to learn as I was even able to find a
couple of purple and lime green cushions!
Marijke

"iowacookiemom" > wrote in message
om...
> Henry is busily decorating his new room in our soon-to-be occupied new
> home in Texas. His color scheme is denim-like blue and lime green.
> The influences of Trading Spaces are showing -- he is insistent that
> we can make anything we can't find, and doesn't seem to realize that
> the folks on Trading Spaces have unseen sewing staff who actually
> complete the projects, unlike his harried mom who is working a new job
> and trying to move the entire house, not just Henry's room ;-)
>
> Normally I'd just ask him to wait until the dust settles on the move
> and then I'd haul out the sewing machine, but two problems prevent
> that: first, we have not had much success finding good fabric in the
> right shade, and second, his cousins are visiting just two weeks after
> we move in and I know he really wants the whole room set up in time.
>
> Ideally, we would like to find affordable solid lime green ribcord or
> similar fabric bedspreads. If we could find those, we could purchase
> two or three and use the extras to make drapes, etc.
>
> I've done a couple of websearches and the maddening thing is, I found
> them at one point and now can't re-find them. Ideas anyone?
>
> -Dawn
> Mom to Henry, 11

Dawn Adelsberger
October 15th 03, 03:51 PM
JC Penney sells a print comforter that reverses to a solid lime green - so
maybe that would work?

Its a Home Expressions Print Comforter and the pattern name is Westport.
>From the looks of the picture on the web site - looks like there are
matching sheets available. Its on sale too!

HTH

Dawn

Cathy Kearns
October 15th 03, 07:43 PM
"iowacookiemom" > wrote in message
om...
> Henry is busily decorating his new room in our soon-to-be occupied new
> home in Texas. His color scheme is denim-like blue and lime green.
> The influences of Trading Spaces are showing -- he is insistent that
> we can make anything we can't find, and doesn't seem to realize that
> the folks on Trading Spaces have unseen sewing staff who actually
> complete the projects, unlike his harried mom who is working a new job
> and trying to move the entire house, not just Henry's room ;-)
>
> Normally I'd just ask him to wait until the dust settles on the move
> and then I'd haul out the sewing machine, but two problems prevent
> that: first, we have not had much success finding good fabric in the
> right shade, and second, his cousins are visiting just two weeks after
> we move in and I know he really wants the whole room set up in time.
>
> Ideally, we would like to find affordable solid lime green ribcord or
> similar fabric bedspreads. If we could find those, we could purchase
> two or three and use the extras to make drapes, etc.
>
> I've done a couple of websearches and the maddening thing is, I found
> them at one point and now can't re-find them. Ideas anyone?
>
> -Dawn
> Mom to Henry, 11

You might try PBteen.com (Pottery Barn teens) they have "apple" green
accessories, including comforters, that look
lime green to me. (On the expensive side, but hey, coolness
factor is right up there..)

Leah Adezio
October 17th 03, 04:00 AM
"Iowacookiemom" > wrote in message
> t68b@aolcomnojunk wrote:
> >check JCPenney catalog....i know theyve got some bright colors!
> >

> Been there, done that, lots of bright colors but no lime green...
> -Dawn
> Mom to Henry, 11

Dawn, I was in Linens and Things tonight and they had what looked to be
reasonably priced comforters and spreads in *very* funky colors...I'm pretty
sure I saw some lime green. Target has some 'teen' linen products that also
are in those bright kind of sherbert-y colors, too.

I tried to steer Daniel towards a bit of funkiness (he's 13), but he wants
to keep the navy/hunter plaid bedding he's got now. His carpeting is going
(it's a pale rose pink), replaced by navy, and I'm thinking doing the bottom
3/4 of the walls in cream, a painted 4-6" wide border in navy and above that
carrying up to the ceiling in a lighter blue.

Closed on the townhouse today and since the entire house either needs (or
for some rooms, I want) to be repainted, I decided to go looking for towels
for my bathroom first and be guided by them for the color.

Since I want a light, antique gold for my room (techniqued to look like
parchement or linen if the painter I'm calling can do techniques), I'm going
with a pale, muted green for the bath.:)

This is going to be fun.

Leah

Iowacookiemom
October 19th 03, 02:58 PM
Thanks to all who responded. While there were many wonderful selections (how
did I miss them all? Moving brain, I guess), we're going with the very
affordable stuff at JC Penney. It's all been ordered, Henry is blissfully
happy and has a new appreciation for mkm -- he went from "you *told* people
about this?" to "YAY YAY YAY!"

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 11

Iowacookiemom
October 29th 03, 10:40 AM
wrote:
> (T68b) wrote:
>
>>>Ideally, we would like to find affordable solid lime green ribcord or
>>>similar fabric bedspreads. If we could find those, we could purchase
>>>two or three and use the extras to make drapes, etc.
>>
>>check JCPenney catalog....i know theyve got some bright colors!

>Yes and it just occurred to me to search on LIME rather than Lime
>Green. LIME by it self works fine.

Yay, yay and yay! I had been all over that site last night to no avail; how
did I miss that? Thank you both soooooooooo much!

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 11

Scott Lindstrom
December 9th 03, 12:25 PM
Iowacookiemom wrote:
> t68b@aolcomnojunk wrote:
>
>>check JCPenney catalog....i know theyve got some bright colors!
>>

> Been there, done that, lots of bright colors but no lime green...
> -Dawn
> Mom to Henry, 11

Why not have Henry do the on-line looking?

Scott

Iowacookiemom
December 11th 03, 02:43 AM
>Why not have Henry do the on-line looking?

He did, I was coming in after he had not found anything. Plus, he had a
tendency to find stuff that was ridiculously expensive.

It ended happily. He has a really cool blue and lime green room, and the lime
green bedding from JC Penny worked great.

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 11