PDA

View Full Version : CTTS: Spelling practice

Iowacookiemom
November 7th 03, 05:28 AM
Background: Henry was previously a notoriously bad speller. A typical weekly
score would be single digits out of 20 words. This year, he's done a complete
180 and spells quite well. I'm still kind of stunned by the turnaround.

So tonight, as he and his dad were studying, I found myself hanging around in
the doorway just enjoying the blissful sound of my son spelling words
correctly.

The routine is this: Jerry reads a word, Henry usually uses it in a sentence
(as his teacher will do for the test) and then spells the word.

Jerry: adventure

Henry: Spelling is an adventure. a-d-v-e-n-t-u-r-e

Jerry: enough

Henry: I've had enough of mom spying on me while I study. e-n-o-u-g-h

Jerry: examine

Henry: It seems my mom wants to examine me when I study. e-x-a-m-i-n-e

Jerry: school

Henry (pause, then a sly eye to me to make sure I am still watching):
p-r-i-s-o-n

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 11, who truly does *not* think of school as prison.