PDA

View Full Version : utensil reuse for lunchbox?

Carolyn Jean Fairman
November 12th 03, 10:18 PM
I'm at a total loss. I need some way to send a fork and a spoon to
school with my son where the fork/spoon are reusable and come back
home and the *container* is also reuable. I just can't stand sending
utensils out in a little plastic baggie every single day. It drives
me nuts to toss the baggie at the end of the day. I want some sort of
hard case I can stuff utensils into that then goes into the dishwasher
with the fork and spoon.

I found the 'Sassy' utenstil carrier but it seems to fit toddler sizes
forks and spoons not anything larger -- does anyone have this who can
give me the measurements? Second I found a lot of hello kitty
fork-spoon-chopstick combos in plastic containers but they are all $16
or more!

*Sigh* I really don't understand why this would be so hard to find.

--Carolyn

--
Carolyn Fairman
http://www.stanford.edu/~cfairman/

Robyn Kozierok
November 12th 03, 10:21 PM
In article >,
Carolyn Jean Fairman > wrote:

>I'm at a total loss. I need some way to send a fork and a spoon to
>school with my son where the fork/spoon are reusable and come back
>home and the *container* is also reuable. I just can't stand sending
>utensils out in a little plastic baggie every single day. It drives
>me nuts to toss the baggie at the end of the day. I want some sort of
>hard case I can stuff utensils into that then goes into the dishwasher
>with the fork and spoon.

What's wrong with loose in the lunchbox? Works for us...

--Robyn

Beeswing
November 13th 03, 12:14 AM
"Carolyn Jean Fairman" > wrote in message
> Second I found a lot of hello kitty
> fork-spoon-chopstick combos in plastic containers but they are all $16
> or more!

If its the price you don't like, there are a bunch on eBay, if you don't
mind that forum. Just search "fork spoon chopsticks" (seriously). The
upside is most are around $5. The downside is that you have to pay
shipping, which is also around $5. Still cheaper than $16. There are
also some sans chopsticks if you do a search for "fork spoon" or "fork
spoon set," but you have to look a little harder for the ones that come
in cases.

You can get utensil sets in camping stores and the like as well. Some
come with cases.

beeswing

Beeswing
November 13th 03, 12:26 AM
I'm following up myself, which is difficult because I just posted and
of course it hasn't shown up yet. Re eBay searches: if you want a set
with a case, it's "fork spoon case" or "fork spoon case -chopstick."
Should have occurred to me right off. (And no, this isn't at all
useful info if you don't shop eBay.)

beeswing,
eBay shopper

gale
November 13th 03, 12:41 AM
"gale" > wrote in message news:...
> "Carolyn Jean Fairman" > wrote in message
> >
> > I'm at a total loss. I need some way to send a fork and a spoon to
> > school with my son where the fork/spoon are reusable and come back
> > home and the *container* is also reuable. I just can't stand sending
> > utensils out in a little plastic baggie every single day. It drives
> > me nuts to toss the baggie at the end of the day. I want some sort of
> > hard case I can stuff utensils into that then goes into the dishwasher
> > with the fork and spoon.

Go to a camping equipment store and get one of those sets where they are all
secured together. Or, put them in the lunch box and tell the kid to bring
them home at the end of the day, inside the lunch box. Heck, I do that for
lunch nearly every work day!

-Aula
--
see my creative works on ebay under aulame 123

Carolyn Jean Fairman
November 13th 03, 12:43 AM
Robyn Kozierok > wrote:
>In article >,
>Carolyn Jean Fairman > wrote:
>>
>>I'm at a total loss. I need some way to send a fork and a spoon to
>>school with my son where the fork/spoon are reusable and come back
>>home and the *container* is also reuable. I just can't stand sending
>>utensils out in a little plastic baggie every single day. It drives
>>me nuts to toss the baggie at the end of the day. I want some sort of
>>hard case I can stuff utensils into that then goes into the dishwasher
>>with the fork and spoon.
>
>What's wrong with loose in the lunchbox? Works for us...

Call me a neatnik but a loose spoon before eating would get dirty and
then *after* applesauce, yogurt, etc, a loose spoon would get the
inside of the lunchbox dirty.

I just want some plastic case that would isolate the utensils before
and after use. Loose wouldn't work for me.

--Carolyn

--
Carolyn Fairman
http://www.stanford.edu/~cfairman/

FibbersCloset
November 13th 03, 03:09 AM
Pencil box?

"Carolyn Jean Fairman" > wrote in message
> Robyn Kozierok > wrote:
> >In article >,
> >Carolyn Jean Fairman > wrote:
> >>
> >>I'm at a total loss. I need some way to send a fork and a spoon to
> >>school with my son where the fork/spoon are reusable and come back
> >>home and the *container* is also reuable. > I just want some plastic
case that would isolate the utensils before
> and after use. Loose wouldn't work for me.
>
> --Carolyn
>
> --
> Carolyn Fairman
> http://www.stanford.edu/~cfairman/

LFortier
November 13th 03, 03:09 AM
Robyn Kozierok wrote:
> In article >,
> Carolyn Jean Fairman > wrote:
>
>>I'm at a total loss. I need some way to send a fork and a spoon to
>>school with my son where the fork/spoon are reusable and come back
>>home and the *container* is also reuable. I just can't stand sending
>>utensils out in a little plastic baggie every single day. It drives
>>me nuts to toss the baggie at the end of the day. I want some sort of
>>hard case I can stuff utensils into that then goes into the dishwasher
>>with the fork and spoon.
>

> What's wrong with loose in the lunchbox? Works for us...
>
> --Robyn

Us too. . .

Lesley

Carolyn Jean Fairman
November 13th 03, 11:35 AM
Beeswing > wrote:
>I'm following up myself, which is difficult because I just posted and
>of course it hasn't shown up yet. Re eBay searches: if you want a set
>with a case, it's "fork spoon case" or "fork spoon case -chopstick."
>Should have occurred to me right off. (And no, this isn't at all
>useful info if you don't shop eBay.)

Thanks! I feel like a I have a starting place. I think I was unclear
initially. I want to send a fork/spoon that is going to come home
again and *not* get thrown out. So it bothered me that to keep it
clean (the inside of the lunchbox, 2 months into school, is pretty
icky) I needed to send a baggie each day that got ... thrown out.

These cases might do the trick, but I'll check out local Japanese
stuff stores before I pay $7 in shipping. :)

Carolyn

--
Carolyn Fairman
http://www.stanford.edu/~cfairman/

LarryDoc
November 13th 03, 11:36 AM
RealGoods (www.realgoods.com) has Wrap'N Mats , cool little re-usable,
washable pouches to put sandwiches. Perhaps they have utensils, too!

--Larry

--
Dr. Larry Bickford, O.D.
Family Practice Eye Health & Vision Care

The Eyecare Connection
http//www.eyecarecontacts.com
larrydoc at m a c.c o m

Penny Gaines
November 13th 03, 12:12 PM
FibbersCloset wrote in >:

> Pencil box?

Or a box sold to put a toothbrush in for traveling.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Bruce and Jeanne
November 13th 03, 03:53 PM
Carolyn Jean Fairman wrote:

> Robyn Kozierok > wrote:
> >In article >,
> >Carolyn Jean Fairman > wrote:
> >>
> >>I'm at a total loss. I need some way to send a fork and a spoon to
> >>school with my son where the fork/spoon are reusable and come back
> >>home and the *container* is also reuable. I just can't stand sending
> >>utensils out in a little plastic baggie every single day. It drives
> >>me nuts to toss the baggie at the end of the day. I want some sort of
> >>hard case I can stuff utensils into that then goes into the dishwasher
> >>with the fork and spoon.
> >
> >What's wrong with loose in the lunchbox? Works for us...
>
> Call me a neatnik but a loose spoon before eating would get dirty and
> then *after* applesauce, yogurt, etc, a loose spoon would get the
> inside of the lunchbox dirty.
>
> I just want some plastic case that would isolate the utensils before
> and after use. Loose wouldn't work for me.
>
> --Carolyn

I clean the inside of DD's lunchbox everyday otherwise it's gets pretty
funky inside. I also just throw in the utensils loose everyday. DD does
get a cloth napkin (as a "placemat") and two paper napkins. She can
wrap the utensils in the cloth napkin.

Jeanne

Splanche
November 13th 03, 05:48 PM
BTW, one of the other great uses of those Clorox Wipes that come in what looks
like a baby wipe container.....
We use them on the inside of the lunchbox pretty often.

Louise
November 13th 03, 08:57 PM
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:18:45 EST, (Carolyn Jean
Fairman) wrote:

>I'm at a total loss. I need some way to send a fork and a spoon to
>school with my son where the fork/spoon are reusable and come back
>home and the *container* is also reuable. I just can't stand sending
>utensils out in a little plastic baggie every single day. It drives
>me nuts to toss the baggie at the end of the day. I want some sort of
>hard case I can stuff utensils into that then goes into the dishwasher
>with the fork and spoon.

What's your lunchbox made of? Our high school kids take/took various
Rubbermaid containers with lots of compartments. They put them in the
dishwasher once or twice a week. One compartment is big enough for a
teaspoon or pie fork.

Louise

Rosalie B.
November 15th 03, 08:10 PM
x-no-archive:yes

In some places, metal utensils may not be allowed. Especially knives
of course.

In any case, instead of putting the things in a plastic baggie, why
not just wrap the eating part in a bit of saran wrap to be discarded
at school.

I always sent the kids lunches in a paper bag and didn't expect
anything to come back. I only sent a thermos or something that would
come home with my dh who was responsible enough to remember to bring
stuff back. For preference, I would want them to eat the school lunch
as it was much less work for me.

(Carolyn Jean Fairman) wrote:

>I'm at a total loss. I need some way to send a fork and a spoon to
>school with my son where the fork/spoon are reusable and come back
>home and the *container* is also reuable. I just can't stand sending
>utensils out in a little plastic baggie every single day. It drives
>me nuts to toss the baggie at the end of the day. I want some sort of
>hard case I can stuff utensils into that then goes into the dishwasher
>with the fork and spoon.
>
>I found the 'Sassy' utenstil carrier but it seems to fit toddler sizes
>forks and spoons not anything larger -- does anyone have this who can
>give me the measurements? Second I found a lot of hello kitty
>fork-spoon-chopstick combos in plastic containers but they are all $16
>or more!
>
>*Sigh* I really don't understand why this would be so hard to find.
>
>--Carolyn

grandma Rosalie