PDA

View Full Version : Another holiday present request: Kid's watch?

Robin
December 10th 03, 09:12 AM
I'd like to get my 7yo a wris****ch for the holidays, but I'm having a
lot of trouble finding a basic watch in a child's size. I've found
children's watches, but they all have cartoon characters or other
kid-like decorations on them, or they're really huge and have a
zillion dingbats and buttons and functions.

I just want a simple watch that tells the time. Analog or digital,
doesn't matter. Not too complex, and not too large, and not very
expensive, ideally under $12.

I've checked the usual discount stores -- Walmart, Kmart. I recall
having a similar problem when I needed to replace a band on my older
son's watch; none of the standard bands were small enough for a
child's wrist. (He got his watch through a mail-order promotion years
ago.)

Has anyone found a suitable watch for a kid? Can you recommend a store
or online source?

--Robin

LFortier
December 10th 03, 11:58 AM
Robin wrote:
> I'd like to get my 7yo a wris****ch for the holidays, but I'm having a
> lot of trouble finding a basic watch in a child's size. I've found
> children's watches, but they all have cartoon characters or other
> kid-like decorations on them, or they're really huge and have a
> zillion dingbats and buttons and functions.
>
> I just want a simple watch that tells the time. Analog or digital,
> doesn't matter. Not too complex, and not too large, and not very
> expensive, ideally under $12.

I found a watch for my 7 year old over the summer at Target.
It's a basic Timex with some flowers (mine's a girl :-)
). My Target had a large display of Timex kid's watches
which were colorful, but no cartoon characters, and pretty
much in the price range you're thinking. Maybe Target.com
might have them too?

Good luck.

Lesley

FibbersCloset
December 10th 03, 12:28 PM
I had a watch that I loved -- a $12 Timex from Target. It had purple and
pink flowers, and an adjustable stretchy bad. Analog, it had big hands and
was designed for kids learning to tell time.

I loved it because I could read it without my reading glasses. It has
disappeared (my cats are the usual suspects). I should add another one to
my Christmas list.

Dena

"Robin" > wrote in message
om...
> I'd like to get my 7yo a wris****ch for the holidays, but I'm having a
> lot of trouble finding a basic watch in a child's size. I've found
> children's watches, but they all have cartoon characters or other
> kid-like decorations on them, or they're really huge and have a
> zillion dingbats and buttons and functions.
>
> I just want a simple watch that tells the time. Analog or digital,
> doesn't matter. Not too complex, and not too large, and not very
> expensive, ideally under $12.

T68b
December 10th 03, 04:15 PM
Also got several kid's watches from Target.
All were Timex...minimal designs(none cartoon characters). They also have a
teach time watch or something like that(Timex as well) which is neat(my son has
that one)
good luck!

Kathi

Robin
December 10th 03, 08:55 PM
LFortier > wrote:
> I found a watch for my 7 year old over the summer at Target.

Three people have recommended Target for Timex, and one more emailed
to suggest a Timex. The styles at Timex.com look just right. Obviously
I'm off to Target! Thanks, everyone!

--Robin

Marijke
December 10th 03, 11:31 PM
I found Sears to be a good source of inexpensive but nice watches.

Marijke

"Robin" > wrote in message
om...
> I'd like to get my 7yo a wris****ch for the holidays, but I'm having a
> lot of trouble finding a basic watch in a child's size. I've found
> children's watches, but they all have cartoon characters or other
> kid-like decorations on them, or they're really huge and have a
> zillion dingbats and buttons and functions.
>
> I just want a simple watch that tells the time. Analog or digital,
> doesn't matter. Not too complex, and not too large, and not very
> expensive, ideally under $12.
>
> I've checked the usual discount stores -- Walmart, Kmart. I recall
> having a similar problem when I needed to replace a band on my older
> son's watch; none of the standard bands were small enough for a
> child's wrist. (He got his watch through a mail-order promotion years
> ago.)
>
> Has anyone found a suitable watch for a kid? Can you recommend a store
> or online source?
>
> --Robin

Rosalie B.
December 12th 03, 12:10 AM
LFortier > wrote:

>Robin wrote:
>> I'd like to get my 7yo a wris****ch for the holidays, but I'm having a
>> lot of trouble finding a basic watch in a child's size. <snip>
>>
>> I just want a simple watch that tells the time. Analog or digital,
>> doesn't matter. Not too complex, and not too large, and not very
>> expensive, ideally under $12.
>

>I found a watch for my 7 year old over the summer at Target.
> It's a basic Timex with some flowers (mine's a girl :-)
> ). My Target had a large display of Timex kid's watches
>which were colorful, but no cartoon characters, and pretty
>much in the price range you're thinking. Maybe Target.com
>might have them too?

I wear a TImex myself although my trouble is finding a strap that's
large enough. I see no point in paying a bunch of money for a watch.
By the time the battery runs out (I get the ones that I can dive in),
I've usually gotten more than my moneys worth out of it.

grandma Rosalie

Jeff
December 15th 03, 12:45 PM
"Rosalie B." > wrote in message
> LFortier > wrote:

(...)

> I wear a TImex myself although my trouble is finding a strap that's
> large enough. I see no point in paying a bunch of money for a watch.
> By the time the battery runs out (I get the ones that I can dive in),
> I've usually gotten more than my moneys worth out of it.

Me too. But I send the watches back to the factory place to get new
batteries. I figure it is better than throwing something away that can be
reused. And it is cheaper, too, in the long run (especially for the
environment).

Realize throw a watch out is not as bad for the environment as, say, getting
an SUV, but every bit helps.

Jeff

> grandma Rosalie

Jeff
December 15th 03, 12:45 PM
"T68b" > wrote in message
> Also got several kid's watches from Target.
> All were Timex...minimal designs(none cartoon characters). They also have
> teach time watch or something like that(Timex as well) which is neat(my
son has
> that one)
> good luck!

You can also a watch for kids that is a little more expensive and nicer at
Swatch.

> Kathi

Banty
December 15th 03, 08:10 PM
In article >, Jeff says...

>"Rosalie B." > wrote in message
>> LFortier > wrote:
>
>(...)
>
>> I wear a TImex myself although my trouble is finding a strap that's
>> large enough. I see no point in paying a bunch of money for a watch.
>> By the time the battery runs out (I get the ones that I can dive in),
>> I've usually gotten more than my moneys worth out of it.
>
>Me too. But I send the watches back to the factory place to get new
>batteries. I figure it is better than throwing something away that can be
>reused. And it is cheaper, too, in the long run (especially for the
>environment).

You mean you don't stroll into the nearest jewlery store, usually to have the
replacement done while waiting?

Banty

just me
December 15th 03, 11:15 PM
"Jeff" > wrote in message

> "T68b" > wrote in message
> > Also got several kid's watches from Target.
> > All were Timex...minimal designs(none cartoon characters). They also
have
> > teach time watch or something like that(Timex as well) which is neat(my
> son has
> > that one)
> > good luck!
>
> You can also a watch for kids that is a little more expensive and nicer at
> Swatch.

Holy Moly Dick Tracy! We got DS a watch that has a small built in family
radio [Wal Mart about $25 a year ago]. He loves it, everyone who sees it
loves it. One draw back: it should be recharged about every day [he does
it while he sleeps]. Very handy device. Oh, and this thing sure can take a
beating *and* some exposure to wetness [not full immersion though].

-Aula
--
see my creative works on ebay under http://snurl.com/369o
and on zazzle at http://snurl.com/38oh

Splanche
December 16th 03, 02:45 PM
>Holy Moly Dick Tracy! We got DS a watch that has a small built in family
>radio [Wal Mart about $25 a year ago]. He loves it, everyone who sees it
>loves it.

What's a family radio?

user
December 16th 03, 05:14 PM
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:45:32 EST, Splanche > wrote:
>>Holy Moly Dick Tracy! We got DS a watch that has a small built in family
>>radio [Wal Mart about $25 a year ago]. He loves it, everyone who sees it
>>loves it.
>
> What's a family radio?

FRS == Family Radio Service in the U.S. Essentially, they're really,
, really, really overpriced walkie-talkies. ;-)

just me
December 16th 03, 11:27 PM
"Splanche" > wrote in message
> >Holy Moly Dick Tracy! We got DS a watch that has a small built in family
> >radio [Wal Mart about $25 a year ago]. He loves it, everyone who sees it
> >loves it.
>
> What's a family radio?

They are those little walky talkie things that you see people using to keep
in touch in places like Disney, Sea World and Wal Mart. Range is about 1/5
to 1 couple miles,d epending on the particular manufacturer, etc., under
discussion. There is a news group dedicated to them if you want to check it
out. We find it particularly helpful in giving DS some freedom while still
retaining contact [IE; he gets the milk while we get the cereal at the
grocery store on a quick trip], or calling him from the yard for diner
instead of yelling our lungs out and letting the whole street know it is
diner time! He loves it, thinks it is cool, and also uses it to talk with
his friend on the next block over instead of using the phone.

-Aula
--
see my creative works on ebay under http://snurl.com/369o
and on zazzle at http://snurl.com/38oh

Rosalie B.
December 18th 03, 09:06 PM
x-no-archive:yes "Jeff" > wrote:

>"Rosalie B." > wrote in message
>> LFortier > wrote:
>
>(...)
>
>> I wear a TImex myself although my trouble is finding a strap that's
>> large enough. I see no point in paying a bunch of money for a watch.
>> By the time the battery runs out (I get the ones that I can dive in),
>> I've usually gotten more than my moneys worth out of it.
>
>Me too. But I send the watches back to the factory place to get new
>batteries. I figure it is better than throwing something away that can be
>reused. And it is cheaper, too, in the long run (especially for the
>environment).

I don't think TImex does that, and when the battery is replaced it
loses it's ability to resist water pressure. I personally feel that
there's a lot of stuff we can do for the environment according to our
own research and by the time I need to replace the battery in a watch
it's pretty much already trash.

>Realize throw a watch out is not as bad for the environment as, say, getting
>an SUV, but every bit helps.

grandma Rosalie