PDA

View Full Version : Re: 7.5 mo sleep through the night?

January 10th 04, 06:24 PM
Richard > wrote:
> Our ped claims that our 7.5 mo daughter wakes for her 3 am feeding out of
> nothing more than habit, and that she should be able to sleep from 11 pm
> to 7 am without waking. He suggests that we simply refuse to feed her
> between those hours.
> Does this make any sense?

You could try "cluster feeding" your baby prior to her going down for
good at night. I think that might also want to look at the times your
child is sleeping. It might better to put them in bed around 6:30-7pm
and let them sleep till about 7am (yes, they make wake up once) and
also have about 2 naps during the day.

Aside from the cluster feeding and trying to change some timing I think
some babies just need to get up and be fed, others don't.

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child goes into a lot of what you should know
about sleep and how much sleep a baby should be getting. This book
also recommends some rather extreme CIO measures IMO but the other
details about sleep cycles etc.. are very helpful.

Degten
February 16th 05, 01:56 PM
On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 21:39:19 EDT, Scott Lindstrom
> wrote:

>Richard wrote:
>> Our ped claims that our 7.5 mo daughter wakes for her 3 am feeding out of
>> nothing more than habit, and that she should be able to sleep from 11 pm
>> to 7 am without waking. He suggests that we simply refuse to feed her
>> between those hours.
>>
>> Does this make any sense?

Try feeding her just a little bit to tide her over. She may then drop
the feed after deciding its not worth waking up for. Thats what our
ped said with no 1 and it worked a treat.

#1 slept perfectly round 8 wks with the drop the 3 o'clock feeding
routine. After giving son only 1oz of fluid to tide him over he
stopped waking up for it. #2 is still a challenge (2 steps forward 2
steps back). But then he is very big for his age (3months, 27
inches, 17.5lbs) and is a little wriggler as well. Ped yesterday said
he could sleep longer than the 5.5 (and sometimes 6 hours) we often
get him to take. However, we wonder if that is the case for Sandy
even on a full tank. He feeds a lot in the evening before bed and
there isn't much milk left by then (at least by the pump). Sometimes,
I think, they really do just get hungry.

DeDe