PDA

View Full Version : party games

glenn
January 21st 04, 11:05 AM
what are the best birthday party games for 3-7 year olds? we're having a
party for my nephew and niece. we are expecting about 12 kids. if you've
been there... what really works?
thanks

Beth Kevles
January 21st 04, 01:41 PM
Hi -

We have great fun with sack races (I use the tough laundry bags that
live in our hampers), the limbo, and relay races. We've also done
obstacle courses and treasure hunts. Of these, treasure hunts are
likely to be the only ones to work indoors, but unless it's wet, the
outdoor ones will work even if it's cold.

We always start with a craft project while the kids are coming in. One
good craft project is for the kids to turn plain brown paper bags into
goody bags.

We've often done story time for the younger kids, and the same
sit-in-a-circle songs that they do in nursery school.

Duck, duck goose is suprisingly popular even at age 6 (but not for a
gang of sevens without younger kids present). And Pin the Tail on the
DOnkey (or Pin the Sorting Hat on Harry_ is great too.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Splanche
January 21st 04, 01:42 PM
>what are the best birthday party games for 3-7 year olds? we're having a
>party for my nephew and niece. we are expecting about 12 kids. if you've
>been there... what really works?
>thanks

My daughter just went to a party where the kids had to put a piece of uncooked
spaghetti bewteen their lips and try to slide cheerios on without using hands.
Apparently it kept them busy for ages!!

Chris Himes
January 21st 04, 07:58 PM
(glenn) wrote in message >...
> what are the best birthday party games for 3-7 year olds? we're having a
> party for my nephew and niece. we are expecting about 12 kids. if you've
> been there... what really works?
> thanks

We have always had great success with "treasure hunt" type games.
These vary by the age of the kids. For younger kids we just hid
plastic eggs, or in the shell peanuts, or small balls, etc. and they
had to find them or follow the peanut trail to some "treasure." At
older ages we construct clues that lead them around the house and
yard. The older they get, the more complicated the clues. For my
son's 8th birthday, for instance, at one clue they had to unscramble
words to find out the next clue, some were riddles, some involved a
physical challenge, etc. I am by nature not a very competitive
person, so I always try to find games where working together is more
important--somehow they get translated to a competition by my kids
though!

chris, mom to Doug and Evan