PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics Party Favours ideas

N.
February 6th 04, 02:48 AM
Hi,

My dd is having a Maisy/Gymnastics birthday party for her 4th
birthday. We only have 1/2 hour for the actual party (refreshments)
and then an hour for the gym part so the party/activities parts are
taken care of. I'm drawing a blank on the party favours, though. I
do have one idea - ribbon/streamer sticks, but I need 1 or 2 more
things. I think I'll include Maisy stickers to go with the Maisy
theme...anyone have any other ideas? I'd like to stay away from candy
and cheaply made plastic toys that end up in the garbage after the
party. Help!

N.

just me
February 6th 04, 04:04 AM
"N." > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> My dd is having a Maisy/Gymnastics birthday party for her 4th
> birthday. We only have 1/2 hour for the actual party (refreshments)
> and then an hour for the gym part so the party/activities parts are
> taken care of. I'm drawing a blank on the party favours, though. I
> do have one idea - ribbon/streamer sticks, but I need 1 or 2 more
> things. I think I'll include Maisy stickers to go with the Maisy
> theme...anyone have any other ideas? I'd like to stay away from candy
> and cheaply made plastic toys that end up in the garbage after the
> party. Help!

I've used small books, often on the party theme. Also, if you have all
girls as guests, you could consider hair stuff. Most girls seem to really
enjoy that type of stuff.

-Aula
--
see my creative works on ebay under http://snurl.com/369o
and on zazzle at http://snurl.com/38oh

Laura Faussone
February 6th 04, 04:33 AM
At a gymnastics party she went to last year, my daughter received a "gold
medal" (plastic medallion on a ribbon) that she enjoyed wearing around
the house.

Laura

Donna Metler
February 6th 04, 12:20 PM
"N." > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> My dd is having a Maisy/Gymnastics birthday party for her 4th
> birthday. We only have 1/2 hour for the actual party (refreshments)
> and then an hour for the gym part so the party/activities parts are
> taken care of. I'm drawing a blank on the party favours, though. I
> do have one idea - ribbon/streamer sticks, but I need 1 or 2 more
> things. I think I'll include Maisy stickers to go with the Maisy
> theme...anyone have any other ideas? I'd like to stay away from candy
> and cheaply made plastic toys that end up in the garbage after the
> party. Help!
>
> N.

If you do ribbon/streamer sticks, I suggest making them over buying them,
and using cloth ribbons. The mylar ones sold most commonly tear extremely
easily. To make ones which actually pivot, sew a loop onto the end of each
ribbon, and screw an eye into the top of a dowel (or drill a hole through
the dowel, and put a thin cable tie through the hole to make the loop) then,
fasten the two loops together by a thin cable tie or a short piece of
ribbon. I have made a bunch of these for my music classes, and they hold up
well, even to frequent child use.

What about a journal and a fancy pen?

Beth Kevles
February 6th 04, 12:43 PM
Small packs of Playdough. (You can get them in bags of 10 at toysRus.)
Small books/coloring books/activity books. You can sometimes get them
at your local dollar store on the cheap.
See if anything at crayola.com inspires you. You can get cheap 4-packs
of crayons, for example.

Have a great party!
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Penny Gaines
February 6th 04, 04:13 PM
N. wrote in >:

> Hi,
>
> My dd is having a Maisy/Gymnastics birthday party for her 4th
> birthday. We only have 1/2 hour for the actual party (refreshments)
> and then an hour for the gym part so the party/activities parts are
> taken care of. I'm drawing a blank on the party favours, though. I
> do have one idea - ribbon/streamer sticks, but I need 1 or 2 more
> things. I think I'll include Maisy stickers to go with the Maisy
> theme...anyone have any other ideas? I'd like to stay away from candy
> and cheaply made plastic toys that end up in the garbage after the
> party. Help!

I quite often buy packs of gel pens or stamper pens and split them up, with
one or two per bag.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Tamex
February 6th 04, 06:11 PM
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 07:20:36 EST, "Donna Metler"
> wrote:

>If you do ribbon/streamer sticks, I suggest making them over buying them,
>and using cloth ribbons. The mylar ones sold most commonly tear extremely
>easily. To make ones which actually pivot, sew a loop onto the end of each
>ribbon, and screw an eye into the top of a dowel (or drill a hole through
>the dowel, and put a thin cable tie through the hole to make the loop) then,
>fasten the two loops together by a thin cable tie or a short piece of
>ribbon. I have made a bunch of these for my music classes, and they hold up
>well, even to frequent child use.

I've also seen them made with the swivels used in fishing.
--
Tamex

No matter how much Jell-o you put in the pool, you still can't walk on water.

**remove Tricky Dick to reply by e-mail**

N.
February 6th 04, 09:15 PM
I do plan on making them myself - I found some instructions online
involving fishing swivels and eyelets. I'll try your method too and
see one which one is easier! Thanks!

N.

"Donna Metler" > wrote in message >...

> If you do ribbon/streamer sticks, I suggest making them over buying them,
> and using cloth ribbons. The mylar ones sold most commonly tear extremely
> easily. To make ones which actually pivot, sew a loop onto the end of each
> ribbon, and screw an eye into the top of a dowel (or drill a hole through
> the dowel, and put a thin cable tie through the hole to make the loop) then,
> fasten the two loops together by a thin cable tie or a short piece of
> ribbon. I have made a bunch of these for my music classes, and they hold up
> well, even to frequent child use.
>
> What about a journal and a fancy pen?

N.
February 6th 04, 09:16 PM
Thanks, all for the great ideas!

N.

(Beth Kevles) wrote in message >...
> Small packs of Playdough. (You can get them in bags of 10 at toysRus.)
> Small books/coloring books/activity books. You can sometimes get them
> at your local dollar store on the cheap.
> See if anything at crayola.com inspires you. You can get cheap 4-packs
> of crayons, for example.
>
> Have a great party!
> --Beth Kevles
>
> http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html -- a page for the milk-allergic
> Disclaimer: Nothing in this message should be construed as medical
> advice. Please consult with your own medical practicioner.
>
> NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the AOL one if you would
> like me to reply.

Kevin Karplus
February 7th 04, 12:01 AM
In article >, N. wrote:
> I do plan on making them myself - I found some instructions online
> involving fishing swivels and eyelets. I'll try your method too and
> see one which one is easier! Thanks!

If you have access to heavy-duty fishing swivels (easy to get if you
live on the coast), they work very well indeed for ribbon wands. (I'm
assuming that you are planning a ribbon 3' to 10' long (1-3 meters),
and you want to be sure it doesn't tangle.) A 1/4" (6mm) cloth ribbon
can be tied to the swivel and the other end of the swivel put on a
screw-eye in the end of a dowel.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Affiliations for identification only.

Karen G
February 15th 04, 05:05 AM
In article >,
(N.) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My dd is having a Maisy/Gymnastics birthday party for her 4th
> birthday. We only have 1/2 hour for the actual party (refreshments)
> and then an hour for the gym part so the party/activities parts are
> taken care of. I'm drawing a blank on the party favours, though. I
> do have one idea - ribbon/streamer sticks, but I need 1 or 2 more
> things. I think I'll include Maisy stickers to go with the Maisy
> theme...anyone have any other ideas? I'd like to stay away from candy
> and cheaply made plastic toys that end up in the garbage after the
> party. Help!
>
> N.

I don't know if your daughter takes gymnastics already or not, but you
might consider taking her to a dance/athletic apparel store and see what
she is interested in. She might like headbands or other hair stuff.
Outside of "gymnastics" kind of things, I would lean toward craft
supplies since she is turning four. My kids have a great time with
watercolor pencils (they are colored pencils that can be painted with
water). A pad of paper and crayons is always popular too. You may be
able to find inexpensive coloring books with a gymnastics or Maisy theme
somewhere.

Good luck.

Karen