PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning out the Closets

Scott
February 10th 04, 12:06 AM
Yesterday I finally threw out the remains of my kids'
Halloween candy (Well, I ate the peanut M&Ms, which neither
of them like). They protested very little. I figure
it was past time.

DD is now afraid of being kidnapped. Too many
abduction stories in the paper, I'm afraid. I wonder
how long this will last. (The fear, not the stories --
I hope the stories are done).

Scott DD 10.5 and DS 7.96

Robyn Kozierok
February 12th 04, 01:14 AM
In article >,
Scott > wrote:

>Yesterday I finally threw out the remains of my kids'
>Halloween candy (Well, I ate the peanut M&Ms, which neither
>of them like). They protested very little. I figure
>it was past time.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the lingering
Halloween candy myself. I'm pretty sure I'd have a riot
on my hands if I insisted on throwing it out, but I hate
having it around all the time. :(

Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)
--
Support a family business and learn about the technologies underlying
the Internet with the TCP/IP Guide! http://www.tcpipguide.com

Kevin Karplus
February 12th 04, 04:28 AM
In article >, Robyn Kozierok wrote:
> In article >,
> Scott > wrote:
>>
>>Yesterday I finally threw out the remains of my kids'
>>Halloween candy (Well, I ate the peanut M&Ms, which neither
>>of them like). They protested very little. I figure
>>it was past time.
>
> I'm trying to figure out what to do with the lingering
> Halloween candy myself. I'm pretty sure I'd have a riot
> on my hands if I insisted on throwing it out, but I hate
> having it around all the time. :(

We don't get that much Halloween candy---our son only wants to do our
block and the next, but we do have a simple way for getting rid of
it. He is allowed to eat as much as he wants on Halloween itself, and
after that he is allowed one piece of candy a day. We keep his candy
bag up in the broom closet, and he requests his "sweet for the day" on
most days. Candy from other holidays (Easter, Christmas, Valentine's)
is handled the same way. About once a year we go through the bag and
throw out anything that he doesn't want. Candy that he buys for
himself with his allowance also goes into the sweets bag, though he is
often allowed more than one on the day that he buys it.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Affiliations for identification only.

Beth Gallagher
February 12th 04, 06:35 PM

> >Yesterday I finally threw out the remains of my kids'
> >Halloween candy (Well, I ate the peanut M&Ms, which neither
> >of them like). They protested very little. I figure
> >it was past time.
>
> I'm trying to figure out what to do with the lingering
> Halloween candy myself.

We don't have this problem in our house. We have a thing called Mom, which
comes out after midnight and seeks out uneaten candies and girl scout
cookies. I thought every house had one.

> I'm pretty sure I'd have a riot
> on my hands if I insisted on throwing it out, but I hate
> having it around all the time. :(

Oh, me too. Really.

H Schinske
February 12th 04, 07:09 PM
Beth ) wrote:

>We don't have this problem in our house. We have a thing called Mom, which
>comes out after midnight and seeks out uneaten candies and girl scout
>cookies. I thought every house had one.

Our house certainly does! She also throws away the truly gross stuff, like
Laffy Taffy (does anyone REALLY like that stuff?).

I stopped the one-a-day thing when it became obvious that it was leading to the
kids eating candy every day for two months or more. The dentist backed me up in
saying that the fewer separate exposures to sugar and sticky stuff, the better.

--Helen

Robyn Kozierok
February 12th 04, 07:32 PM
In article >, Beth Gallagher > wrote:

>> >Yesterday I finally threw out the remains of my kids'
>> >Halloween candy (Well, I ate the peanut M&Ms, which neither
>> >of them like). They protested very little. I figure
>> >it was past time.
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out what to do with the lingering
>> Halloween candy myself.
>
>We don't have this problem in our house. We have a thing called Mom, which
>comes out after midnight and seeks out uneaten candies and girl scout
>cookies. I thought every house had one.

I don't take their candies without asking. Besides, they memorize
their stashes during the intense trading negotiations that go on
Halloween evening or the next day. They'd know if anything "good"
disappeared. :)

Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)
--
For a challenging little arithmetic puzzle for kids and adults alike,
check out http://cgi.wff-n-proof.com/MSQ-Ind/I-1E.htm

beeswing
February 13th 04, 02:54 AM
H Schinske wrote:

>Our house certainly does! She also throws away the truly gross stuff, like
>Laffy Taffy (does anyone REALLY like that stuff?)

My daughter does. :(

beeswing

Scott
February 13th 04, 03:33 PM
beeswing wrote:
> H Schinske wrote:
>

>>Our house certainly does! She also throws away the truly gross stuff, like
>>Laffy Taffy (does anyone REALLY like that stuff?)
>

> My daughter does. :(

Send me you snail mail address, and I'll have my kids
send your daughter some more ;-) They never eat that
stuff.

Scott DD 10.5 and DS 7.994

Robyn Kozierok
February 13th 04, 04:43 PM
In article >,
beeswing > wrote:
>H Schinske wrote:
>
>>Our house certainly does! She also throws away the truly gross stuff, like
>>Laffy Taffy (does anyone REALLY like that stuff?)
>
>My daughter does. :(

I have to admit that I like it too. What's not to like ;-)

--Robyn

Banty
February 13th 04, 07:07 PM
In article >, Robyn Kozierok says...

>In article >,
>beeswing > wrote:
>>H Schinske wrote:
>>
>>>Our house certainly does! She also throws away the truly gross stuff, like
>>>Laffy Taffy (does anyone REALLY like that stuff?)
>>
>>My daughter does. :(
>
>I have to admit that I like it too. What's not to like ;-)
>
>--Robyn

I like the "Smarties", give me the "Smarties".

Banty (who wishes she could snap some of those apocryphal re-gifted fruit
cakes..)

chiam margalit
February 14th 04, 07:21 AM
"Beth Gallagher" > wrote in message >...

> > >Yesterday I finally threw out the remains of my kids'
> > >Halloween candy (Well, I ate the peanut M&Ms, which neither
> > >of them like). They protested very little. I figure
> > >it was past time.
> >
> > I'm trying to figure out what to do with the lingering
> > Halloween candy myself.
>
> We don't have this problem in our house. We have a thing called Mom, which
> comes out after midnight and seeks out uneaten candies and girl scout
> cookies. I thought every house had one.

Our house does, and Mom is an amazing cleaner upper of any unwanted
candy. She especially likes things that are chocolate and doesn't like
those fruity things like Mike & Ikes (blech!).

I find it extremely bizarre that ANY household could have leftover
halloween candy in February. It's just beyond my comprehension.

Marjorie

Sandi Jones
February 17th 04, 09:12 PM
chiam margalit wrote:
.....I find it extremely bizarre that ANY household could have leftover
> halloween candy in February. It's just beyond my comprehension....

Growing up, we threw out the Halloween candy at Christmas, the Christmas
candy on Valentines day and the Valentines day candy on Easter, and the
Easter candy once it got hot, and would melt. I'd say at least 75% of
the candy we got as kids got pitched. And we never fussed about it
either. Mom just never trained us to eat desserts or snacks, so we
didn't think to eat them. We ate real food. I am trying to raise my
brood the same way, but my husband is a junk food fiend.

Sandi Jones

Jaime
February 20th 04, 02:10 AM
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:35:56 EST, "Beth Gallagher" >
wrote:

>We don't have this problem in our house. We have a thing called Mom, which
>comes out after midnight and seeks out uneaten candies and girl scout
>cookies. I thought every house had one.

Mine did when my boys were small and were into going out for
Halloween.

Jaime
February 20th 04, 02:10 AM
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:09:05 EST, (H Schinske)
wrote:

>Our house certainly does! She also throws away the truly gross stuff, like
>Laffy Taffy (does anyone REALLY like that stuff?).

I love that stuff but I also like Halloween kisses too. LOL

Jaime
February 20th 04, 02:10 AM
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:07:09 EST, Banty >
wrote:

>Banty (who wishes she could snap some of those apocryphal re-gifted fruit
>cakes..)

I am with you on that one. I do not understand all these jokes
regarding fruitcakes. I have always enjoyed eating them with a cup of
tea.

Could go for a couple slices right now. :-)

Jaime
February 20th 04, 02:10 AM
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:21:45 EST, (chiam margalit)
wrote:

>I find it extremely bizarre that ANY household could have leftover
>halloween candy in February. It's just beyond my comprehension.

Me too. In our house it was usually gone within a month and any left
was tossed out by Christmas.