PDA

View Full Version : Kids birthday gift - collectible for boy - birthday train?

K C
February 11th 04, 11:00 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for ideas on what to get for a 3 yr old boy. He has
already got a room full of sesame street, disney etc. I thought I
could get him something that was collectible (as well). Someone
suggested the Precious Moments Birthday Train (for a girl)... I think
that works fine for a girl but I don't know about giving it to a 3 yr
old guy :-)

Has anyone seen something like that in cars or planes? Possibly
diecast?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Beth Kevles
February 12th 04, 12:12 AM
Hi -

Good 3-year old gifts might include:

A cloth or wooden growth chart for his wall, personalized with his
name. Look up "personalized growth chart" on google for some good
ones.

A step stool with his name on it, good for reaching the sink, or sitting
on.

One of those busses or fire engines or tunnels that "pop up" and also
fold flat for storage. (Our eight-year old still plays with his,
sometimes.)

A cute mirror or clock for his room.

These are all on the more expensive side, but I'm sure there are some
great ideas that are less pricey as well.

Enjoy,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Tracey
February 12th 04, 02:04 AM
For something 'boyish' that is more collectible/heirloom quality, you might
want to consider starting him off with a Brio or Thomas train set. You
could then add another set or additional cars for each gift giving occasion.
These trains are the sort of thing that are worth keeping for his
kids/grandkids.
We have already told our 7yo that when she and her infant brother move out,
the Brio stays here for our future grandkids to use at our house.

"K C" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for ideas on what to get for a 3 yr old boy. He has
> already got a room full of sesame street, disney etc. I thought I
> could get him something that was collectible (as well). Someone
> suggested the Precious Moments Birthday Train (for a girl)... I think
> that works fine for a girl but I don't know about giving it to a 3 yr
> old guy :-)
>
> Has anyone seen something like that in cars or planes? Possibly
> diecast?
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

Scott
February 12th 04, 01:35 PM
K C wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for ideas on what to get for a 3 yr old boy. He has
> already got a room full of sesame street, disney etc. I thought I
> could get him something that was collectible (as well). Someone
> suggested the Precious Moments Birthday Train (for a girl)... I think
> that works fine for a girl but I don't know about giving it to a 3 yr
> old guy :-)

Won't anything else just get lost in the sea of collectibles?

How about some nice collectible books.

Scott DD 10.5 and DS 7.99

Louise
February 12th 04, 02:37 PM
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:35:00 EST, Scott >
wrote:

>K C wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking for ideas on what to get for a 3 yr old boy. He has
>> already got a room full of sesame street, disney etc. I thought I
>> could get him something that was collectible (as well). Someone
>> suggested the Precious Moments Birthday Train (for a girl)... I think
>> that works fine for a girl but I don't know about giving it to a 3 yr
>> old guy :-)
>
>Won't anything else just get lost in the sea of collectibles?
>
>How about some nice collectible books.

Yes, I like the idea of giving a present that lasts for a long time
much better than giving "collectibles" that you keep for their own
sake or as part of an initiative to buy more of them.

Depending on whether or not you want the gift to be fun for the
3-year-old, here are some ideas for gifts that will last a long time.

Hardcover books.
A framed print or painting.
Well-made furniture - a stepstool is particularly handy, because small
children use them as seats and larger ones as footstools.
A Brio train.
A quilt or blanket.
A special holiday decoration.
A clock.

Louise

T68b
February 12th 04, 05:17 PM
> Someone
>suggested the Precious Moments Birthday Train (for a girl)... I think
>that works fine for a girl but I don't know about giving it to a 3 yr
>old guy :-)

My mom started my sons on PM collectibles....they are pewter...one has a train
the other has the sports figures. They are miniatures, and pretty cute!
Sis started them years ago with Thomas(the wooden set)..they love that as well.

Sophie
February 12th 04, 08:00 PM
"K C" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for ideas on what to get for a 3 yr old boy. He has
> already got a room full of sesame street, disney etc. I thought I
> could get him something that was collectible (as well). Someone
> suggested the Precious Moments Birthday Train (for a girl)... I think
> that works fine for a girl but I don't know about giving it to a 3 yr
> old guy :-)
>
> Has anyone seen something like that in cars or planes? Possibly
> diecast?
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

I'd go with Thomas the Tank Engine stuff for a 3 yr old boy.

Leah Adezio
February 13th 04, 12:43 PM
T68b > wrote in message
> > Someone
> >suggested the Precious Moments Birthday Train (for a girl)... I think
> >that works fine for a girl but I don't know about giving it to a 3 yr
> >old guy :-)
>
> My mom started my sons on PM collectibles....they are pewter...one has a
train
> the other has the sports figures. They are miniatures, and pretty cute!
> Sis started them years ago with Thomas(the wooden set)..they love that as
well.

Keep in mind that many of the PM collectables have Christian motifs or
sayings on them, and so might not be appropriate for all families/children.
If I were to give a PM gift that did, I'd check with a parent to make sure
that such a sentiment was acceptable in their household.

Leah

Barbara
February 13th 04, 03:43 PM
SNIP

> I'd go with Thomas the Tank Engine stuff for a 3 yr old boy.

Its hard to go wrong with Thomas for a 3 year old boy -- trains, track
(be sure to check out some non name brands for track and accessories,
particularly on the 'net; our's has stood up to years of hard play
without any problems at a small fraction of the cost of Brio or
Learning Curve), or perhaps the hardbound edition of all the original
Rev. W. Awdry stories.

Other good ideas for three year olds -- wood puzzles; wood blocks,
Duplo.

Barbara