PDA

View Full Version : Family travel -- renting a minivan and Canadian Rockies

Robyn Kozierok
February 15th 04, 06:42 PM
Our family is tentatively planning a trip that will involve flying out
to the west coast (of the US) and then doing some driving around
visiting various different areas (including the Canadian Rockies).
There are 5 of us and we don't travel light, particularly for a trip
that will involve a good deal of variation in weather, and we plan to
do a fair bit of hiking, for which we also carry a fair bit of stuff.
So we are thinking that we are going to be pretty crammed in even a
good-sized sedan and started looking into renting a minivan. But the
prices look exhorbitant.

Does anyone have any thoughts on either finding great deals on minivan
rentals (the rental has to be one that is approved for travel into
Canada) or other suggestions for this situation?

Also if anyone has any suggestions for awesome family activities in
or near Calgary or the Canadian Rockies in that area (beyond hiking
and enjoying nature, which we intend to do a fair bit of) I'd be
interested in hearing them. Our boys will be 3, 8 and almost 11 when
we are thinking of going (this summer).

Thanks in advance,

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Laura Faussone
February 15th 04, 07:51 PM
Robyn Kozierok wrote:

> Does anyone have any thoughts on either finding great deals on minivan
> rentals (the rental has to be one that is approved for travel into
> Canada) or other suggestions for this situation?

When we rented a minivan over Thanksgiving, I got a great rate when I
actually called the car rental agency. I had done some online searching,
but the rates were still pretty high. I called the one that had the
lowest rate online, but the person I talked to was able to find an even
better deal. Also, make sure you don't do this last minute, you'll get
better deals if you call several weeks ahead. You already mentioned this
in your post, but I want to emphasize that some rental car agencies do
restrict where you can take the car -- in our area, Enterprise doesn't
want you to cross the Mississippi River, but this bit of info is *not*
mentioned when you're reserving the car online.

Laura

Dizzysmamma
February 16th 04, 03:29 AM
This is something I've always wanted to do.

http://www.calgarystampede.com/stampede/

Angela

"Robyn Kozierok" > wrote in message
> Our family is tentatively planning a trip that will involve flying out
> to the west coast (of the US) and then doing some driving around
> visiting various different areas (including the Canadian Rockies).
> There are 5 of us and we don't travel light, particularly for a trip
> that will involve a good deal of variation in weather, and we plan to
> do a fair bit of hiking, for which we also carry a fair bit of stuff.
> So we are thinking that we are going to be pretty crammed in even a
> good-sized sedan and started looking into renting a minivan. But the
> prices look exhorbitant.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on either finding great deals on minivan
> rentals (the rental has to be one that is approved for travel into
> Canada) or other suggestions for this situation?
>
> Also if anyone has any suggestions for awesome family activities in
> or near Calgary or the Canadian Rockies in that area (beyond hiking
> and enjoying nature, which we intend to do a fair bit of) I'd be
> interested in hearing them. Our boys will be 3, 8 and almost 11 when
> we are thinking of going (this summer).
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

chiam margalit
February 16th 04, 12:26 PM
(Robyn Kozierok) wrote in message >...
> Our family is tentatively planning a trip that will involve flying out
> to the west coast (of the US) and then doing some driving around
> visiting various different areas (including the Canadian Rockies).
> There are 5 of us and we don't travel light, particularly for a trip
> that will involve a good deal of variation in weather, and we plan to
> do a fair bit of hiking, for which we also carry a fair bit of stuff.
> So we are thinking that we are going to be pretty crammed in even a
> good-sized sedan and started looking into renting a minivan. But the
> prices look exhorbitant.

I've rented minivans twice in Canada, once in Halifax and once in
Vancouver. Both times the prices were pretty much in line with a large
sedan. Once we got a Ford Windstar (it sucked) and the other time we
got a Dodge Caravan. I've also rented minivans in California and in
MA. My experience each time has been that the prices are comparable
with the largest sedans, and cheaper then the SUVs. I'd contact Budget
Rentacar, which happens to be the company I've had the best luck with
pricewise (I get an employee discount.)

> Also if anyone has any suggestions for awesome family activities in
> or near Calgary or the Canadian Rockies in that area (beyond hiking
> and enjoying nature, which we intend to do a fair bit of) I'd be
> interested in hearing them. Our boys will be 3, 8 and almost 11 when
> we are thinking of going (this summer).

Glacier National Park is a must see, of course, as are Banff/Lake
Louise. If you're going closer to Vancouver, I'd highly recommend
staying a night or two at Harrison Hot Springs, a truely fabulous
resort with tons of activities for kids (it's like a camp, where they
can go off with a group for horseback riding or hiking or canoing, and
you get to do adult stuff), the most amazing food, and a very
luxurious time for the grownups. Victoria is a lot of fun, very 'high
tea' British at the Empress Hotel and really pretty gardens to visit.

YOu're going to a gorgeous part of the world, but you're also
undertaking a lot of sitting in the car. Having done this every summer
of my life in childhood, I don't envy you as an adult. I can recall a
LOT of whining, mostly coming from me.

Marjorie

Robyn Kozierok
February 16th 04, 03:16 PM
In article >,
chiam margalit > wrote:
>I've rented minivans twice in Canada, once in Halifax and once in
>Vancouver. Both times the prices were pretty much in line with a large
>sedan. Once we got a Ford Windstar (it sucked) and the other time we
>got a Dodge Caravan. I've also rented minivans in California and in
>MA. My experience each time has been that the prices are comparable
>with the largest sedans, and cheaper then the SUVs. I'd contact Budget
>Rentacar, which happens to be the company I've had the best luck with
>pricewise (I get an employee discount.)

I guess we need to get on the phone. The online prices we've found
so far have not been comparable with large sedans at all. We'd be very
relieved to find a reasonably priced minivan because I think this trip
will be quite difficult in a sedan.

>Glacier National Park is a must see, of course, as are Banff/Lake
>Louise. If you're going closer to Vancouver, I'd highly recommend
>staying a night or two at Harrison Hot Springs, a truely fabulous
>resort with tons of activities for kids (it's like a camp, where they
>can go off with a group for horseback riding or hiking or canoing, and
>you get to do adult stuff), the most amazing food, and a very
>luxurious time for the grownups. Victoria is a lot of fun, very 'high
>tea' British at the Empress Hotel and really pretty gardens to visit.

No, I don't think we're going to go out as far as Vancouver on this
trip. Maybe next time :) But if anyone knows of a simliar resort
to recommend closer to Banff that sounds like a perfect sort of thing
for us.

>YOu're going to a gorgeous part of the world, but you're also
>undertaking a lot of sitting in the car. Having done this every summer
>of my life in childhood, I don't envy you as an adult. I can recall a
>LOT of whining, mostly coming from me.

We're pretty experienced car travellers and the kids are actually quite
good. One helpful innovation since our childhoods is the portable (or
in-car) DVD or VHS player. :) Our older boys can and do both read in
the car (I get carsick if I try that). We limit ourselves to 5-6 hours
per day of driving, with stops every 2-3 hours so *I* can pee. :) So,
I'm not worried about that aspect.

I am a little worried about us taking too adult-oriented a view of the
national parks. The kids (even the 2yo) are great and enthusiastic
hikers, but they will want some different types of activities mixed in
more than we will.

I imagine we can find some cool alpine slides around that part of the
world, or even a water park or science museum or something different
from appreciating the beauty of nature out there should provide
sufficient variety for them.

Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming!

Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)
--
Support a family business and learn about the technologies underlying
the Internet with the TCP/IP Guide! http://www.tcpipguide.com

For a challenging little arithmetic puzzle for kids and adults alike,
check out http://cgi.wff-n-proof.com/MSQ-Ind/I-1E.htm

Nikki
February 16th 04, 03:44 PM
(Robyn Kozierok) wrote in message >...
> Our family is tentatively planning a trip that will involve flying out
> to the west coast (of the US) and then doing some driving around
> visiting various different areas (including the Canadian Rockies).
> There are 5 of us and we don't travel light, particularly for a trip
> that will involve a good deal of variation in weather, and we plan to
> do a fair bit of hiking, for which we also carry a fair bit of stuff.
> So we are thinking that we are going to be pretty crammed in even a
> good-sized sedan and started looking into renting a minivan. But the
> prices look exhorbitant.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on either finding great deals on minivan
> rentals (the rental has to be one that is approved for travel into
> Canada) or other suggestions for this situation?

Is it possible to rent a sedan with a hitch that you can rent a
trailer to pull on the back for all your stuff, or one of those shells
to put on top? Renting trailers are cheap I have no idea if you can
even rent those shells. Personally I can't imagine all the stuff you
are talking about fitting into a minivan either. Or rent a big SUV,
like a Suburban or Excursion but I'd imagine they are even more then a
minivan. Can you rent the hiking supplies once you are there instead
of taking them? Sounds like an awesome vacation :-)

--

Nikki (wondering how you are getting all that stuff to the West Coast
to begin with ;-)

Robyn Kozierok
February 16th 04, 06:32 PM
In article >,
Nikki > wrote:
>trailer to pull on the back for all your stuff, or one of those shells
>to put on top? Renting trailers are cheap I have no idea if you can
>even rent those shells. Personally I can't imagine all the stuff you
>are talking about fitting into a minivan either. Or rent a big SUV,
>like a Suburban or Excursion but I'd imagine they are even more then a
>minivan. Can you rent the hiking supplies once you are there instead
>of taking them? Sounds like an awesome vacation :-)
>
>--
>
>Nikki (wondering how you are getting all that stuff to the West Coast
>to begin with ;-)

Just to be clear, we're talking about day hikes, not overnight hiking
and camping supplies. But we're also talking about clothing for a
variety of weather conditions for 5 people, day packs, kid carrier
pack, day hike first aid kit, etc... I don't think we'll have trouble
fitting it all into a minivan with some of the seats folded up, but a
sedan might be pushing it. I think an SUV would be even more expensive
to rent than a minivan.

--Robyn

Claire Petersky
February 17th 04, 12:43 AM
"Robyn Kozierok" > wrote in message

> Also if anyone has any suggestions for awesome family activities in
> or near Calgary or the Canadian Rockies in that area (beyond hiking
> and enjoying nature, which we intend to do a fair bit of) I'd be
> interested in hearing them. Our boys will be 3, 8 and almost 11 when
> we are thinking of going (this summer).

There is a pretty cool glacier at Glacier National Park that is the source
of the Columbia River. When I was about 9 years old, we went to see it.
There is a big sign that says something like, "Do not go beyond this point".
Being 9 years old, and seeing nothing immediately dangerous, I ran right out
past that point. Immediately I sank up to my waist in black mud.

We were out there again on our honeymoon 15+ years. We saw a family coming
up to this same place, and there was the same sign I saw when I was kid. The
exact same scenario played out: a boy, about aged 9 or 10, ran past the
sign, and sank up to his waist in mud.

It seems like you have two boys right in the danger age range. I think it
would be a great thing for you guys to see this glacier. But warn them: if
you see a sign that says, "Do not go beyond this point", take it seriously.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:
New CD coming out this month! See: http://www.tiferet.net

Robyn Kozierok
February 18th 04, 07:09 PM
In article <DpcYb.44299$jk2.106957@attbi_s53>,
Claire Petersky > wrote:

>There is a pretty cool glacier at Glacier National Park that is the source
>of the Columbia River. When I was about 9 years old, we went to see it.
>There is a big sign that says something like, "Do not go beyond this point".
>Being 9 years old, and seeing nothing immediately dangerous, I ran right out
>past that point. Immediately I sank up to my waist in black mud.
>
>We were out there again on our honeymoon 15+ years. We saw a family coming
>up to this same place, and there was the same sign I saw when I was kid. The
>exact same scenario played out: a boy, about aged 9 or 10, ran past the
>sign, and sank up to his waist in mud.
>
>It seems like you have two boys right in the danger age range. I think it
>would be a great thing for you guys to see this glacier. But warn them: if
>you see a sign that says, "Do not go beyond this point", take it seriously.

Thanks for the warning Claire. Your post made me laugh out loud!
Perhaps I'll print it out for the boys to read in case they don't
believe me. The 10yo is pretty cautious, but the 8yo would probably
be the one to end up waist-deep in the mud. :-O

(We had some scary experiences at Yellowstone watching children *and
adults* ignoring warning signs and walking on places that were just
thin crusts of earth over pits of boiling hot water. Fortunately,
we didn't see anyone break through, and we did actually say something
about it to several of the people, at least a few of whom actually
appreciated the warning. We didn't have the older boys with us for
that trip.)

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Marijke
February 19th 04, 12:29 PM

> Is it possible to rent a sedan with a hitch that you can rent a
> trailer to pull on the back for all your stuff, or one of those shells
> to put on top? Renting trailers are cheap I have no idea if you can
> even rent those shells.

I don't know about other parts of the continent, but where I am, it's
impossible to rent a vehicle with a hitch. I imagine it's too much liability
for the rental company (are the people able to tow safely), and too much
wear and tear on the vehicle.

Marijke,
in Montreal

Jan
February 19th 04, 06:30 PM
(Robyn Kozierok) wrote in message >...

> (We had some scary experiences at Yellowstone watching children *and
> adults* ignoring warning signs and walking on places that were just
> thin crusts of earth over pits of boiling hot water. Fortunately,
> we didn't see anyone break through, and we did actually say something
> about it to several of the people, at least a few of whom actually
> appreciated the warning. We didn't have the older boys with us for
> that trip.)

This is a product of what is known as the "Disneylandification of
America." People think stuff at national parks is there for their own
entertainment, and if it is possible to get to something, then it is
not really dangerous.

-Jan