PDA

View Full Version : Sensitive glans?

Guitar Boy
February 17th 04, 11:31 PM
My 8-year-old son, who's uncircumcised, has been complaining that his
glans (the head of his penis under the foreskin) is too sensitive to
be washed. It doesn't *look* irritated, and he's able to retract his
foreskin OK, but he claims that touching it, even gently, hurts. His
11-year-old brother, also uncircumcised, has never complained about
anything like this. I'm circumcised, so I am not sure if I'm qualified
to judge what's "too sensitive" for an uncircumcised kid's penis. I'm
afraid that if he doesn't keep up on hygiene, he'll get an infection
or something. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

Iowacookiemom
February 18th 04, 05:35 AM
>My 8-year-old son, who's uncircumcised, has been complaining that his
>glans (the head of his penis under the foreskin) is too sensitive to
>be washed. It doesn't *look* irritated, and he's able to retract his
>foreskin OK, but he claims that touching it, even gently, hurts.

IIRC my circumcised son had similar complaints just as very early puberty began
to set in. In an uncircumcised boy I think I'd try to encourage him to wash
anyway (just as one would encourage a child to wash a painful sunburned area or
abrasion). Make sure it's a mild soap or maybe even just water for now. Ice
seemed to help in our case.

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 11

Neal
February 18th 04, 02:28 PM
Tell him to pull the foreskin back and just rinse it in the shower.
That's all the cleaning that it needs.

--
Neal

Note: To contact, unmunge and remove the " from the address