me and make the whole family hate me if I can't fix this problem. Any
guidance on finding parts somewhere, or finding a repair company that
can retrofit this crib with other parts, is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Laura Faussone
March 10th 04, 12:26 AM
Barry wrote:

> Any
> guidance on finding parts somewhere, or finding a repair company that
> can retrofit this crib with other parts, is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.

You might check with companies that provide parts for carpenters /
furniture makers. I did a quick web search on "crib hardware" and found
something at www.rockler.com

Laura

Banty
March 10th 04, 02:06 AM
In article >, Barry says...

>I have a circa 1980 baby crib that I've returned to my sister in the
>Orlando, Florida area. Unfortunately, a lot of the hardware was
>corroded or broken. Now I find out Simmons does not carry replacement
>parts for this crib any more. My sister is ready to stop speaking to
>me and make the whole family hate me if I can't fix this problem. Any
>guidance on finding parts somewhere, or finding a repair company that
>can retrofit this crib with other parts, is greatly appreciated.
>Thanks.

Measure the distance between the slats. Likely, they're more than 2 3/8 inches
apart. If so, the crib is unsafe by current standards, and that would explain
both why parts are unavailable, and why you shouldn't fix it.

http://www.aap.org/pubserv/cribsafe.htm

Banty

Karen G
March 10th 04, 09:23 PM
That is tough one. You can find cribs that have similar hardware to
retrofit. I am guessing that the crib being discussed is one with the
vertical metal rail to raise and lower the side. That design is less
common now, but still available. A kids consignment store might have
something that can be stripped for parts. Good luck.

Karne G

Beth Gallagher
March 11th 04, 03:53 AM
"Barry" > wrote in message
om...
> I have a circa 1980 baby crib that I've returned to my sister in the
> Orlando, Florida area. Unfortunately, a lot of the hardware was
> corroded or broken. Now I find out Simmons does not carry replacement
> parts for this crib any more. My sister is ready to stop speaking to
> me and make the whole family hate me if I can't fix this problem.

This may be too off topic, but I can't help asking: Why would she hate you
because a 24 year old crib has some broken-down aspects to it? As Banty
pointed out, this crib may well be considered unsafe by today's standards.
Sorry that I can't offer advice on parts. I'd have chucked the thing about
14 years ago.

> Any
> guidance on finding parts somewhere, or finding a repair company that
> can retrofit this crib with other parts, is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.

Iowacookiemom
March 11th 04, 05:07 AM
>Any
>guidance on finding parts somewhere, or finding a repair company that
>can retrofit this crib with other parts, is greatly appreciated.

We found a local hardware store very helpful in retro-fitting parts for the
crib we bought second-hand. Not a Home Depot/Lowes type of superstore, but a
local neighborhood store with the requisite older gent behind the info counter.
Those guy love a challenge.

Good luck!

-Dawn

Scott
March 11th 04, 04:06 PM
Beth Gallagher wrote:
> "Barry" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>I have a circa 1980 baby crib that I've returned to my sister in the
>>Orlando, Florida area. Unfortunately, a lot of the hardware was
>>corroded or broken. Now I find out Simmons does not carry replacement
>>parts for this crib any more. My sister is ready to stop speaking to
>>me and make the whole family hate me if I can't fix this problem.
>

> This may be too off topic, but I can't help asking: Why would she hate you
> because a 24 year old crib has some broken-down aspects to it? As Banty
> pointed out, this crib may well be considered unsafe by today's standards.
> Sorry that I can't offer advice on parts. I'd have chucked the thing about
> 14 years ago.

I had a similar reaction. I can only guess that the
crib is some sort of family heirloomish thing that
sis wants back now for her kids' kids. Although
an 'heirloom' from 1980 sounds distinctly odd.

Otherwise it seemed a pretty silly thing to me, too,
to family squabble about.

Scott DD 10.5 and DS 8

Rosalie B.
March 11th 04, 04:07 PM
x-no-archive:yes

"Beth Gallagher" > wrote:

>"Barry" > wrote in message
om...
>> I have a circa 1980 baby crib that I've returned to my sister in the
>> Orlando, Florida area. Unfortunately, a lot of the hardware was
>> corroded or broken. Now I find out Simmons does not carry replacement
>> parts for this crib any more. My sister is ready to stop speaking to
>> me and make the whole family hate me if I can't fix this problem.
>
>This may be too off topic, but I can't help asking: Why would she hate you
>because a 24 year old crib has some broken-down aspects to it? As Banty
>pointed out, this crib may well be considered unsafe by today's standards.
>Sorry that I can't offer advice on parts. I'd have chucked the thing about
>14 years ago.

I also wondered why the parts are corroded or broken. Have you been
especially rough on it? What does she want it for anyway? Is there
some sentimental value to it? It can't be an antique yet.

>> Any
>> guidance on finding parts somewhere, or finding a repair company that
>> can retrofit this crib with other parts, is greatly appreciated.
>> Thanks.

If there is no sentimental reason to have this particular crib, I
would just offer to or actually buy her a new one. That will probably
be easier and may even be cheaper in the long run than trying to
repair the one you have, and shipping it or transporting it to her.
Plus if that will smooth over the family relations it might be worth
it.

grandma Rosalie