PDA

View Full Version : Time outs

Jay Calvert
March 26th 04, 02:21 AM
Being from generation where if you did something wrong or behaving badly, we
got spanked or had our mouth washed out with soap.

What exactly is a time out and how is it effective.

Thanks

Kevin Karplus
March 26th 04, 04:28 AM
In article <COL8c.3719$R27.429@pd7tw2no>, Jay Calvert wrote:
> Being from generation where if you did something wrong or behaving badly, we
> got spanked or had our mouth washed out with soap.
>
> What exactly is a time out and how is it effective.

There are many different definitions and goals for time outs---you'll
probably need to read a few books on parenting and discipline to get a
full range of answers.

Basically, it is a time of isolation and quiet thought. The purpose
is to allow anger (child's and parent's) to cool, so that rational
thought and problem solving can be applied to a problem. It doesn't
always work, but it seems to be as effective (at least with older
kids) as many other disciplinary styles.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Affiliations for identification only.

Claire Petersky
March 26th 04, 04:29 AM
"Jay Calvert" > wrote in message

> What exactly is a time out and how is it effective.

When your kids have pushed every single one of your buttons, and you think
you're going to kill them both, you go and take a time out. This gives you a
chance to rethink your murderous impulses, and deal with the situation in a
more mature manner.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Jay Calvert
March 26th 04, 12:37 PM
Let me reiterate here, my son is 7 months old, and is a little angel. My
wife and I were just talking and, Time outs came up, but neither of us
really know what that is, we just hear about them a lot.

I just re-read my post and thought "Oh My! They're gonna think I am beating
my son!"

"Jay Calvert" > wrote in message
> Being from generation where if you did something wrong or behaving badly,
we
> got spanked or had our mouth washed out with soap.
>
> What exactly is a time out and how is it effective.
>
> Thanks

Scott
March 26th 04, 01:50 PM
Jay Calvert wrote:
> Let me reiterate here, my son is 7 months old, and is a little angel. My
> wife and I were just talking and, Time outs came up, but neither of us
> really know what that is, we just hear about them a lot.
>

> I just re-read my post and thought "Oh My! They're gonna think I am beating
> my son!"

7 months is a little young for time-outs. We used them in
the 15 month to 4 year time frame. This is when debating
with the child is pointless, and when they are really quite
expert at doing the things that most annoy you. So a
little separation is calming especially for you. Maybe
not for them -- they may be screaming a lot during the
start of the timeout, but at least you can close the door
and pseudo-ignore them while you take deep breaths :)

When you've both calmed down, then you discuss what expect
to be done differently the next time around.

Scott DD 10.5 and DS 8

Jeff
April 3rd 04, 12:59 PM
> Let me reiterate here, my son is 7 months old, and is a little angel. My
> wife and I were just talking and, Time outs came up, but neither of us
> really know what that is, we just hear about them a lot.

The usual time out period is about 1 minute for each year. So a 2 year old
will get a 2 minute time out, a 5 year old a 5 minute time out, and I get a
1/2 to 3/4 hour time out.

Jeff

> I just re-read my post and thought "Oh My! They're gonna think I am
beating
> my son!"
>

> "Jay Calvert" > wrote in message
> > Being from generation where if you did something wrong or behaving
badly,
> we
> > got spanked or had our mouth washed out with soap.
> >
> > What exactly is a time out and how is it effective.
> >
> > Thanks

dragonlady
April 4th 04, 12:14 AM
In article >,
"Jeff" > wrote:

> "Jay Calvert" > wrote in message
> > Let me reiterate here, my son is 7 months old, and is a little angel. My
> > wife and I were just talking and, Time outs came up, but neither of us
> > really know what that is, we just hear about them a lot.
>
> The usual time out period is about 1 minute for each year. So a 2 year old
> will get a 2 minute time out, a 5 year old a 5 minute time out, and I get a
> 1/2 to 3/4 hour time out.

I never thought about that last part. Right now, a 52 minute time out
sounds like a Real Good Idea . . .

meh