PDA

View Full Version : pre-schooler sleeping on the floor

Tony Rice
March 26th 04, 10:54 PM
My nearly 3YO son has been sleeping on the floor for about 9 months
now. We've discussed it with his pediatrician who says as long as
he's sleeping it's no big deal. In fact, his pediatrician (who has a
wonderful dry wit) said that he will certainly outgrow it, by the time
he's married at least.

It started when we tried to transition him from his crib (which he
stayed in a lot longer than we expected) to a single sized bed. He
refused to stay in there and ended up at the door screaming every
night. After a couple of nights of this, he happily gathered up his
stuffed animals, slid off the bed and laid down by the door as we were
leaving. We bring up sleeping in the "big boy bed" periodically but
don't push it since he's sleeping well and it hasn't affected him
negatively.

I'm comfortable with that but would love to hear from some other
parents who have experienced this. How long did it last with your
child? Were you able to find something that finally got them into bed
or did they just do it on their own?

Tracey
March 27th 04, 02:49 PM
My 7yo DD slept UNDER the toddler bed for months around age 2-3. Then she
slept in a sleeping bag on the floor. She now sleeps in the bed most of the
time, but still sleeps on the floor in the sleeping bag or even in her
beanbag chair at least a couple nights a week. Personally, it doesn't
bother me at all. She's asleep, she doesn't care about the lack of
comfortable sleeping space, so I don't worry about it at all.

Tracey in CT

"Tony Rice" > wrote in message
m...
> My nearly 3YO son has been sleeping on the floor for about 9 months
> now. We've discussed it with his pediatrician who says as long as
> he's sleeping it's no big deal. In fact, his pediatrician (who has a
> wonderful dry wit) said that he will certainly outgrow it, by the time
> he's married at least.
>
> It started when we tried to transition him from his crib (which he
> stayed in a lot longer than we expected) to a single sized bed. He
> refused to stay in there and ended up at the door screaming every
> night. After a couple of nights of this, he happily gathered up his
> stuffed animals, slid off the bed and laid down by the door as we were
> leaving. We bring up sleeping in the "big boy bed" periodically but
> don't push it since he's sleeping well and it hasn't affected him
> negatively.
>
> I'm comfortable with that but would love to hear from some other
> parents who have experienced this. How long did it last with your
> child? Were you able to find something that finally got them into bed
> or did they just do it on their own?

Claire Petersky
March 27th 04, 02:51 PM
"Tony Rice" > wrote in message
m...
> My nearly 3YO son has been sleeping on the floor for about 9 months
> now. We've discussed it with his pediatrician who says as long as
> he's sleeping it's no big deal. In fact, his pediatrician (who has a
> wonderful dry wit) said that he will certainly outgrow it, by the time
> he's married at least.

> I'm comfortable with that but would love to hear from some other
> parents who have experienced this. How long did it last with your
> child? Were you able to find something that finally got them into bed
> or did they just do it on their own?

For a long time, at about this age, our daughter Emma slept in the bed the
wrong way. In other words, I had to put her pillow at the foot of the bed,
she'd lay on top of the comforter, and then I'd fold the whole thing on top
of her such that she slept on the bottom half of the bed with the sheets on
top. Can you visualize what I mean?

I think this gave her a comfy feeling of being more snugged in than rattling
around in a big bed. It also gave her a sense of control -- yes, I am
sleeping in the Big Girl Bed, but the way I want to, not the way everyone
expects me to. Eventually she went to sleeping in the bed the right way,
but I don't remember how long it took -- 8 or 9 months? A year? It's very
dim in my mind (she's now 9).

I suspect your kid wanting to sleep on the floor is a similar type thing.
Rather than wanting to be snugged in, he doesn't want to fall out. And he
wants a little control over the situation. I'd agree with the ped -- let him
have his little eccentricity, and eventually he'll decide sleeping in the
bed is more comfortable.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Bruce and Jeanne
March 27th 04, 02:59 PM
Tony Rice wrote:

> My nearly 3YO son has been sleeping on the floor for about 9 months
> now. We've discussed it with his pediatrician who says as long as
> he's sleeping it's no big deal. In fact, his pediatrician (who has a
> wonderful dry wit) said that he will certainly outgrow it, by the time
> he's married at least.
>
> It started when we tried to transition him from his crib (which he
> stayed in a lot longer than we expected) to a single sized bed. He
> refused to stay in there and ended up at the door screaming every
> night. After a couple of nights of this, he happily gathered up his
> stuffed animals, slid off the bed and laid down by the door as we were
> leaving. We bring up sleeping in the "big boy bed" periodically but
> don't push it since he's sleeping well and it hasn't affected him
> negatively.
>
> I'm comfortable with that but would love to hear from some other
> parents who have experienced this. How long did it last with your
> child? Were you able to find something that finally got them into bed
> or did they just do it on their own?

My nephew did this. I was convinced it was because he had an
uncomfortable (it was old) mattress. Anyway, he slept on the floor, or
the futon chair until he was about 6? 7? 8? He's 11 now and he sleeps
on his bed. Now he sleeps in his day clothes so he doesn't have to
waste time in the morning to change.

It's always something...

Jeanne

Penny Gaines
March 27th 04, 04:23 PM
Tony Rice wrote in >:

[snip]
> I'm comfortable with that but would love to hear from some other
> parents who have experienced this. How long did it last with your
> child? Were you able to find something that finally got them into bed
> or did they just do it on their own?

My kids went into a bed OK, but periodically they will want to sleep on
floor in a sibling's room; sometimes the 7yo sleeps in the 5yo's room,
sometimes the 5yo sleeps on the floor in the 7yo's room. After a week
or two, they decide they want to sleep in their own bed again.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three