PDA

View Full Version : Re: 2 1/4 year old keeps taking off diapers

Larry McMahan
July 8th 03, 08:08 PM
I think you should beat her to the punch. Take her diaper off before
she can get around to it. While she is still clean. Seriously,
we "potty trained" our kids by lettign them run around naked. They
become much more aware of their bodily functions that way and learn
to control them earlier.

Larry\

In misc.kids.pregnancy Nancy > wrote:
: My daughter, who turned 2 and 1/4, takes off her diapers several times
: a day...usually when they're wet or soiled, but sometimes when they're
: not. This is becoming a problem in that she'll then sit on the carpet
: or a chair before she's been cleaned up, yikes!

: She shows interest in how kids/adults use the toilet...she knows when
: she's done something and is very capable of articulating it...she
: doesn't like the feeling of wet/soiled diapers...she has a potty chair
: which she likes sitting upon. I'm not sure, however, that she's made
: the connection between the feeling of having to pee/poo, and the
: actual event. It's also quite possible that she's just too busy to
: pay attention. :-)

: Anyway...I don't want to discourage her from taking off her diaper,
: either verbally or by resorting to pins, overalls, etc., since taking
: it off is part of learning how/when to use the potty...but encouraging
: her to take them off only when about to sit on the potty is having no
: effect.

: Advice? Oh, as background: I don't want to use Pull-Ups, although I'm
: not sure about "cold turkey" either (and don't think she's ready for
: that anyway). I was going to use terry training pants when the time
: was right. How will I know when that is? I'm just puzzled about "the
: next step."

: Thanks!

: Nancy

Nina
July 9th 03, 01:00 AM
I did much the same with my son. It was summertime, we were home all
day. My daughter didnt usually go naked, but she did wear panties.
After a while, just normal panties so she could FEEL that she was wet.
It made it easier.

Nina

Larry McMahan > wrote in message >...
> I think you should beat her to the punch. Take her diaper off before
> she can get around to it. While she is still clean. Seriously,
> we "potty trained" our kids by lettign them run around naked. They
> become much more aware of their bodily functions that way and learn
> to control them earlier.
>
> Larry\
>
> In misc.kids.pregnancy Nancy > wrote:
> : My daughter, who turned 2 and 1/4, takes off her diapers several times
> : a day...usually when they're wet or soiled, but sometimes when they're
> : not. This is becoming a problem in that she'll then sit on the carpet
> : or a chair before she's been cleaned up, yikes!
>
> : She shows interest in how kids/adults use the toilet...she knows when
> : she's done something and is very capable of articulating it...she
> : doesn't like the feeling of wet/soiled diapers...she has a potty chair
> : which she likes sitting upon. I'm not sure, however, that she's made
> : the connection between the feeling of having to pee/poo, and the
> : actual event. It's also quite possible that she's just too busy to
> : pay attention. :-)
>
> : Anyway...I don't want to discourage her from taking off her diaper,
> : either verbally or by resorting to pins, overalls, etc., since taking
> : it off is part of learning how/when to use the potty...but encouraging
> : her to take them off only when about to sit on the potty is having no
> : effect.
>
> : Advice? Oh, as background: I don't want to use Pull-Ups, although I'm
> : not sure about "cold turkey" either (and don't think she's ready for
> : that anyway). I was going to use terry training pants when the time
> : was right. How will I know when that is? I'm just puzzled about "the
> : next step."
>
> : Thanks!
>
> : Nancy

Nancy
July 15th 03, 02:39 AM
I thought about doing that, actually, but it's pretty tough on the
upstairs carpets. ;-)

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone.

Nancy