PDA

View Full Version : Re: OT Re: Mothers Day Out...

Leigh Menconi
July 8th 03, 08:26 PM
We love Raleigh, we've been here about 12 1/2 years now. Economy's not as
good as it used to be, it would depend on what sector your husband is
employed in. Lots of layoffs at Nortel, Worldcom, IBM, Alcatel so the
computer/electronics sector pretty much sucks at this point. Traffic is
terrible, but not as bad as Atlanta. Singles I've know who've moved here
have hated it because this area is really pretty family-oriented, not much
of a singles scene (but that's getting better). I've heard some say, "it's
a great place to live, wouldn't want to visit" because there really aren't
the big attractions like some areas. (Conversely, we used to live in
Colorado which is a great place to visit, wouldn't want to live there
although with last year's snow/ice storms, it was almost as bad!) Public
schools in Wake County are good, there is only one district for the whole
county so there are variations between individual schools but we have a
great magnet program (my 8yo son is in an international studies magnet and
will be starting his 4th year of Spanish this year).

To answer another poster, I'd guess a 4br house would run at least 200k if
you wanted to live outside the beltline. Lots of people relocate to Cary
which is a suburb of Raleigh (joke is that it stands for Containment Area
for Relocated Yankees) and since that's where a lot of the techies live,
houses can be had pretty cheap by those who've had to relocate elsewhere to
find a new job after a layoff.

Leigh

"Shelly" > wrote in message
.. .

> Leigh,
> Is the Raleigh area nice? My hubby and I want to move there (He needs a
big
> city for work) and my mom lives outside Fayetteville so we want to be
close
> to her.... Do you like it? Please be honest....Thanks
> --
>

> Shelly
> Mommy to Zachariah
> January 24, 2003
> "Leigh Menconi" > wrote in message
> thlink.net...
> > I'm in Raleigh but I can give you some general information about
Mother's