PDA

View Full Version : Entered 3rd trimester :-)

Elly
July 9th 03, 09:05 AM
Well, according to my ob/gyn's calculations, I entered the 3rd trimester
yesterday :-)

I had my regular (4 weeks) appt with my ob/gyn today, and things are
continuing to go smoothly - it was rather uneventful :-)
- urine analysis - sterile (which is a big yay for me!)
- blood pressure - 100/70 (lower blood pressure is slightly picking up, but
the (general) bp is still low, which is normal for this part of the
pregnancy - or so
I've been told)
- no swelling
- weight: gained 4.4 lbs since my last check-up 4 weeks ago; total pregnancy
gain is 19.8 lbs (I gained more during between weeks 19 and 23, so have
around 2.2 lbs of *extra* pregnancy weight; my ob/gyn said to keep up with
1700 calories a day regime).
- cervix closed
- baby's heartbeat normal
- fundal height: 31 cm - but she is not worried about me measuring ahead
since at the last ultrasound the baby's measurements were exact for my
dates.

I'm glad I don't have to do the OGTT (which they do around week 26 here)
since there is no glucose in the urine and I haven't gained too much weight
:-)

My ob/gyn decided to do another ultrasound next Tuesday - she said she
didn't get a good measurement the last time because the baby was moving so
much. There I got a little concerned, but she said there is absolutely
nothing to be worried about, she just wants to be thorough and take a bit
more time with the measurements (the last time the U/S appt was really short
because she was having too many patients and the baby was moving so much she
couldn't take the usual 20-30 minutes at the ultrasound). So when I went out
I made sure her nurse makes my U/S appt for the day she is not busy - so
it's next Tuesday.
Another regular ob/gyn check-up is scheduled in 4 weeks (I thought I'd be on
the 4-weeks schedule from now, but apparently not since things are
uneventful).

Her ob nurse also signed me up for the midwife assistance in late pregnancy
and postpartum. I still don't know quite how is this working out, since all
my appointments have been with the ob/gyn. She said the midwife will call me
and schedule a check up - but I guess this won't happen for some time.

Otherwise, I am doing fine! I have been having a mild toothache over the
weekend but couldn't get an appt with my dentist (the line was always busy!)
so I just came in today and he fixed the tooth - I have to come back in a
month. It's still tender, and running errands between 11 am and 1 pm didn't
help so I have a mild headache right now; I took a paracetamol pill to
*kill* both toothache and headache and hope it will work.

Childbirth classes are very interesting! In the meantime we had labour and
postpartum class, and exercise class. On Thursday we will have the last
class - breathing techniques during labour.
I was a bit annoyed because the class was scheduled for Wednesday and DH
got a day off from work (and it is a big deal in his firm, he had to make a
formal request to take personal day off 10 days prior!), and then the
childbirth class instructor just said the last class will be held on
Thursday - so I had to call him immediately and tell him to move his
personal day off for Thursday - he did that, and fortunately his boss said
it's OK.
The instructor said all the fathers-to-be who attended at least one
childbirth class session will get the certificate which will allow them to
attend the childbirth, but I think that DH will want to take those
individual classes in August as well. We watched the labour tape this
weekend and it cleared some ideas for him, but he is still worried he might
miss the childbirth - he has only 3 days off for delivery, and if we *spend*
them starting from my EDD and nothing's happening, he will have to go back
to work and expect my phone call - and he has around 2 hours of drive (if
the traffic is OK) to reach the house, and in case I'm already gone to the
hospital, another 50 minutes. So I think talking to the childbirth class
instructor (also a psychologist) about that will be good for him.

He bought our first baby clothes - 2 onesies that were on sale (3.99 Euro
for
pack of 2); one is white and the other one white with light blue dolphins
and light green stars :-).
The sales are starting now, and so we are planning to go shopping soon -
this ultrasound appt scheduled for next Tuesday is messing with my plans a
bit since I have to stay here and I planned to stay at DH's place for 2
weeks until his holiday, so I think the *big shopping* will start the last
week of July (in case I don't have anything else holding me here). This U/S
appt is also messing up with my *other* ob/gyn appt - as I said, I wanted to
have at least one appointment at the town DH works and lives Monday-Friday
in case something happens when I'm there - only now it seems I'm never there
and this appointment is always rescheduled ;-)

This is really getting too long!
Hope all of you are doing fine :-)

Elly
27 weeks + 2 days
EDD October 6th

sher
July 15th 03, 05:11 PM
"Elly" > wrote in message >...
> Well, according to my ob/gyn's calculations, I entered the 3rd trimester
> yesterday :-)

Doesn't that just boggle your mind?! I can't believe I'll be 30 weeks
on Saturday. That means I'll have roughly 10 weeks to go. Next week
will be single digits. Yikes! This pregnancy has gone soooo fast!

> I had my regular (4 weeks) appt with my ob/gyn today, and things are
> continuing to go smoothly - it was rather uneventful :-)

Congratulations! Glad to hear all is going well.

> My ob/gyn decided to do another ultrasound next Tuesday

Have fun with the ultrasound. I have to admit, I've been tempted to
make up something so the doctor would get concerned and do another
ultrasound. I just want to see him again so bad!

> Another regular ob/gyn check-up is scheduled in 4 weeks (I thought I'd be on
> the 4-weeks schedule from now, but apparently not since things are
> uneventful).

I'm on the 2 week schedule already. I still can't believe it's gone
so fast.

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday. Everything is looking good
for me also. I feel fabulous and hope it keeps up. Blood pressure
was 92/58. My glucose test came back in the normal range, but it was
close to the borderline, so I'm not able to get my Haagen-Dazs
prescription to help with my weight gain. :-( I had been worried
about my lack of weight gain, but I've put on 5 pounds in the last
month, bringing my total to 10, so I'm feeling better about it. My
goal is a pound a week from here on out. I'm starting to have a
little bit of swelling in my ankles, but in this heat, the doctor said
it would be a miracle if I was able to avoid it. It disappears by
morning and I'm not swelling in my hands or face, so he's not worried
about it. The baby is head down, but it's too early yet to expect him
to stay there. I've always had trouble identifying body parts, so it
was cool to have him show me how to feel for the head and bottom.

We've had 100 degree temps here recently, but I haven't been too
bothered by it. I even ride my bike to and from work still. I just
need to rest quite a bit when I get home and drink lots of water. My
feet swell if I'm in the car for too long and July is always a big
traveling month for us, so I'm planning to look like an elephant for
the next little while. I'm still sleeping fairly well, but each night
it seems it takes a little bit longer to get comfortable.

My favorite part about this pregnancy has been watching our two sons,
5 and 7 yrs old. They are so excited for this baby. They hug and
kiss my belly every morning and night and are always asking how he's
doing. For DS#1, the birth is just a minor thing because to him, the
baby is already part of the family. If you ask him, he'll tell you he
has two brothers. He even introduced the baby to several of his
classmates. DS#2 told me last night that he wished he could see
through my skin to check on the baby to make sure he's eating all the
right foods.

I'm starting to panic about all the things I need to get done
especially since we'll be gone so much this month. I had a nesting
urge that lasted about 24 hours a few weeks ago. I'm hoping it
returns soon. I've washed some of the baby clothes already, but
that's about it. The baby's room has been used as a junk room for the
last few years and needs some serious work to reclaim some space. I
also want to pull out all the big baby items and check their product
numbers to see if anything has been recalled. DH isn't too happy
about it because it means he needs to dig it all out of storage, but
since some of the stuff hasn't been used in a while, I want to make
sure it's all in working order before I really need to use it.

Hope the toothache has passed. Have fun shopping!

~ Sher, due with boy #3 9/27/03

Em
July 15th 03, 09:19 PM
"Elly" > wrote in message
> "Em" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > > - cervix closed
>
> > Do they usually do an internal exam at your appts?
>
> Yes, over here they do internal exam every 4 weeks.

Is that to just make sure there's no cervical change? There's been a few
times during my pregnancy when I was feeling crampy/contractiony that I did
kind of wish that I could have an internal exam to allay my fears, but for
the most part I've been glad not to have them. I'm not sure if they will
start doing some towards the end of the pregnancy or not. I will put that on
my list of things to ask at my next appt!

> > Sounds like you have a busy baby! I swear, mine feels like he moves
> > practically constantly (when I'm not walking or standing, though I do
feel
> > him when I'm standing now sometimes too).
>
> Mine, too! I made a note in the calendar about counting foetal movements
> from week 28 on (which I reached today, BTW :-) - it's not something my
> ob/gyn mentioned, but I've read about it online so made a note about it.
> Anyway, today when my calendar warned me about it and I started counting,
> think the baby moved 10 times in less than 10 minutes (let alone 2
hours!)!

I've only counted a few times, but each time I felt 10 movements in under 10
minutes. Once I kept counting even though I'd felt 10 already and felt 22
distinct movements in 12 minutes. If I ever had a whole hour to spare for
it, I'd be curious to know just how many movements I would feel in a whole
hour.

> The only time I notice it's not moving is in the water - I swim a lot, and
> it seems to *calm* down - or maybe it's just sleeping, I'm still working
on
> establishing the being awake/sleeping patterns.

I don't feel the baby when I'm in the water either. I thought he must be
lulled to sleep or something. However, two weekends ago I put my hands on
both sides of belly while in the water when I was talking to DH about not
feeling him in the water and he most definitely *was* moving, I just wasn't
feeling it! I was really surprised. I wonder if the stimulation of the water
on your body changes your sensory perception of the baby's movements
somehow? Anyway, try it next time you swim and see if your baby is really
moving too! It was really odd for me--definitely like I only feel him from
the outside (I guess like DH!).

<snip>
> I know this is thinking ahead and there's no point in worrying about it
now
> since we don't know how it will all turn out. But I'm really one of those
> *what if* persons, so like to organize myself accordingly!

Oh, I know just what you mean about being a "what if" person! Pregnancy &
birth have so incredibly *many* potential variables that it can really drive
you a bit nutty trying to make plans. It sounds like your DH's schedule
poses a bit of a puzzle trying to "bend" it around your possible birth
scenarios. I'm sure it will all work out fine in the end though. It is nice
that you have a supportive mother there to help you out as well (will she be
at the birth too, or just your DH?).

> BTW, he was able to attend the last childbirth class and got his
certificate
> allowing him to be at childbirth :-)

That's good news!

>He said he was really sorry about not
> being able to attend all 5 meetings, but will probably have more
individual
> meetings in August.
> We watched another L & D tape during the weekend, and although all other
> class-goers said it was *gross*, we found it very emotional and
educational!
> It was taped live during 5 labours in a birth centre (which of course is
> different from the hospital birth but it gives you a general idea) and it
> showed everything - nothing was sugar-coated, and I loved the honesty of
the
> tape (IYKWIM). OK, some of the parts of the tape were a bit bloody and
maybe
> not for someone squeamish (which we are not), but the emotion was clearly
> there - from the excitement, pain, effort, more pain, to the birth.... it
> was far more emotional for me than the other tape we were given by the
> instructor - that one was really sugar-coated - you can hardly see/sense
> anything, since it showed the last push and baby being born.

I think it is really important to see the *real* stories and not just the
"sugar coated" bits. We checked Gentle Birth Choices out of the library
recently and found that to be quite interesting. The babies weren't always
pink & crying after the births either (one had to have oxygen & was quite
blue & floppy) and that was good realism to see as well--the other good
lesson being that even those floppy babies still pinked up and were fine
after a bit, so there was no need to panic about a slight deviation from the
"normal" births you are often shown.

> > We have two baby showers this weekend,
> > which will be really fun I think! I will have a very honored weekend!
:-)

> Oh, how fun! Please report back ;-)

They were great. I really felt special and had so much fun! DH's mom and
favorite aunt were able to come from out of state for them, which was a
treat as well. They were very different showers--one was a very traditional
shower held in the morning (we had brunch, played games, had cake, opened
presents) and the other was a men-invited-too barbeque in the afternoon.
They were both really fun. We got lots of nice, thoughtful gifts as well,
which was a fun part of the day as well :-) Now, I feel much better equipped
to come up with an accurate "baby needs" list for DH & I to work on.

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Elly
July 16th 03, 08:38 AM
"Em" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > > Do they usually do an internal exam at your appts?

> > Yes, over here they do internal exam every 4 weeks.

> Is that to just make sure there's no cervical change? There's been a few
> times during my pregnancy when I was feeling crampy/contractiony that I
did
> kind of wish that I could have an internal exam to allay my fears, but for
> the most part I've been glad not to have them. I'm not sure if they will
> start doing some towards the end of the pregnancy or not. I will put that
on
> my list of things to ask at my next appt!

Yes, my ob/gyn starts and ends the internal with cervical check, then she
moves on to abdominal check - fundal height, position of the baby, etc. This
time the internal was longer because she was also taking the smear for
Pap-test (which I was due for in February but then she didn't want to do it
because of the cramps, etc. and feared I might start bleeding; she said
she'd do it when I'm a bit further along, which I am now. Usually the
procedure for Pap-tests doesn't hurt in my case (and I had plenty of those
in 2000-2001 since I had CIN1 and she had to check it regularly - like every
2 months), but this time it was very painful, I just couldn't relax although
I tried the relaxation breathing and she was very gentle. I remember
thinking, "My God, what if it hurts like this when they check me during
labour? I'll just have to tell them to get out of there!!!"!

> I don't feel the baby when I'm in the water either. I thought he must be
> lulled to sleep or something. However, two weekends ago I put my hands on
> both sides of belly while in the water when I was talking to DH about not
> feeling him in the water and he most definitely *was* moving, I just
wasn't
> feeling it! I was really surprised. I wonder if the stimulation of the
water
> on your body changes your sensory perception of the baby's movements
> somehow? Anyway, try it next time you swim and see if your baby is really
> moving too! It was really odd for me--definitely like I only feel him from
> the outside (I guess like DH!).

Thanks for the tip, I will try that the next time I go swimming!

<It is nice
> that you have a supportive mother there to help you out as well (will she
be
> at the birth too, or just your DH?).

We decided it would be just my DH. The hospital isn't too keen on having too
many *foreign* persons around, although I'm sure they'd let my Mom attend
the childbirth since she is medical personnel. But DH and I decided that
since this is our first baby, it is a very special, private and highly
emotional event for both of us, and we'd prefer her to stay in the waiting
room - I don't think she'd be able to wait for the news at home.
Also, I don't think my mother would want to be an active participant like
that - she had a really bad experience giving birth to me (from having an
ectopic pregnancy before me, having a split uterus & the birth canal and the
doctors not knowing about it (no ultrasounds then!), going to labour
naturally (her water broke) but as no one knew about split uterus & birth
canal, I could not pass through - they tried to cut the skin that was
dividing the uterus and birth canal in two but then she bleed heavily, then
they established I was feet first anyway, and decided to do a C-section,
which I'm sure was a blessing in her case) and she is always worried about
what my experience would be - more than I am, actually! - so I don't want
her to go through all this. I know she will still worry, but if she is in
the waiting room, DH will be able to go out and tell her about the progress,
and I will take comfort from knowing she is so close by. If I REALLY needed
her, I'm 101% sure she'd put her worries and fears aside and go in the
delivery room to be with me.
But my decision about being there only with DH is mainly based on this being
a *private party* for just the two of us ;-)

> > > We have two baby showers this weekend,
> > > which will be really fun I think! I will have a very honored weekend!
> :-)

> > Oh, how fun! Please report back ;-)

> They were great. I really felt special and had so much fun! DH's mom and
> favorite aunt were able to come from out of state for them, which was a
> treat as well. They were very different showers--one was a very
traditional
> shower held in the morning (we had brunch, played games, had cake, opened
> presents) and the other was a men-invited-too barbeque in the afternoon.
> They were both really fun. We got lots of nice, thoughtful gifts as well,
> which was a fun part of the day as well :-) Now, I feel much better
equipped
> to come up with an accurate "baby needs" list for DH & I to work on.

I think I already mentioned that we don't have baby showers over here -
people come by 3 weeks/a month after the birth to see the baby and bring
presents.
DH & I decided to have a barbeque party for some of our closest friends by
the end of August, while he is still on holiday, and enjoy their company. It
will not be a shower, and we don't plan to make it *baby-related*, so it
will not be a shower.

Take care,
Elly
28 weeks + 2 days
EDD October 6th

Elly
July 17th 03, 05:36 AM
"sher" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> <snip>

> > As for the sleeping, I'm still sleeping *like a baby* - I take a nap
around
> > 3 pm (1-2 hrs, depending how tired I was), and then I don't get sleepy
again
> > until midnight - but then I fall asleep easily and wake up around 8 or 9
am
> > (I'm working from home now), while before I would be up by 5 or 6 am.
The
> > bump has not been bothering me much regarding sleep - it's just when I
sit
> > down I feel it in my lap ;-))

> All of you who are talking about naps are making me so jealous. I'm
> still working full-time and if I'm lucky, I can sneak in a few winks
> on the couch while DH makes dinner, but I'd love to be able to take a
> nap earlier in the day.

I organized my naps around my work (which as I said am doing from home now,
visiting the office 1-2 a week), so if I wake up around 9 (but usually it's
before 8 am), I start working immediately after breakfast (which doesn't
take a long time since I usually have some fruit and cottage cheese in the
morning until I have a snack after a couple of hours) and work until 3 pm.
Then I really NEED the nap - sometimes only for an hour, sometimes for two,
depending how tired I am and how hot it is (if it's very hot, my naps are
shorter and not so comfy!). Then I usually work more for another couple of
hours.

> I hope the meds continue to work. I had a dentist appointment when I
> was about 3 months along and they discovered a cavity. I'm a super
> big baby when it comes to dental work so I asked if we could postpone
> filling it until after the baby is born so I can have some really
> strong painkillers. It hasn't caused me any problems yet, and I'm
> hoping it holds out for a little while longer.
>
> ~ Sher, due with boy #3 9/27/03

I hope it holds out for you too, I know how annoying those cavities can be!
Fortunately my dentist is my childhood friend, and he is extra gentle when
he's doing some dental work! I don't remember the last time I needed the
pain killers, he is really good at what he does :-) The only problem is, he
is also doing some university work and sometimes can be really hard to track
him down and make an appointment - that's why I usually just pop in when I'm
at the health centre, unannounced, and ask if he can see me if I need the
dental work (only twice this year, though - once because my wisdom tooth was
breaking out, and now because of the toothache).

Elly
28 weeks + 3 days
EDD October 6th

Em
July 17th 03, 03:34 PM
"Elly" > wrote in message
> "Em" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Is that to just make sure there's no cervical change? There's been
<snip>
> Usually the
> procedure for Pap-tests doesn't hurt in my case (and I had plenty of those
> in 2000-2001 since I had CIN1 and she had to check it regularly - like
every
> 2 months), but this time it was very painful, I just couldn't relax
although
> I tried the relaxation breathing and she was very gentle. I remember
> thinking, "My God, what if it hurts like this when they check me during
> labour? I'll just have to tell them to get out of there!!!"!

I have trouble with really tensing up during internal exams. So much so,
that last time I had a pelvic/pap (the day we conceived this baby, funnily
enough!) the doctor said, "haven't you *had* a pelvic exam before?!"

> <It is nice
> > that you have a supportive mother there to help you out as well (will
she
> be
> > at the birth too, or just your DH?).
>
> she had a really bad experience giving birth to me (from having an
> ectopic pregnancy before me, having a split uterus & the birth canal and
the
> doctors not knowing about it (no ultrasounds then!), going to labour
> naturally (her water broke) but as no one knew about split uterus & birth
> canal, I could not pass through - they tried to cut the skin that was
> dividing the uterus and birth canal in two but then she bleed heavily,
then
> they established I was feet first anyway, and decided to do a C-section,
> which I'm sure was a blessing in her case) and she is always worried about
> what my experience would be - more than I am, actually! - so I don't want
> her to go through all this. I know she will still worry, but if she is in
> the waiting room, DH will be able to go out and tell her about the
progress,
> and I will take comfort from knowing she is so close by.

Wow! Your mom's experience sounds just horrendous. Wow :-(

> If I REALLY needed
> her, I'm 101% sure she'd put her worries and fears aside and go in the
> delivery room to be with me.
> But my decision about being there only with DH is mainly based on this
being
> a *private party* for just the two of us ;-)

My mom is going to attend this birth as well as DH & my doula and possibly
my best friend as well. I have confidence that if I start to feel
overwhelmed by all the "company," that they will step out though. Since I'll
be having the baby at the birth center & there won't be all of the
miscellaneous hospital personnel milling in and out, I don't think it will
feel too crowded. I'm looking forward to having the support of the people
that mean the most during this time! I do sometimes worry that I will be
focused on them & whether they're "doing all right" though. We'll see!

> > They were great. I really felt special and had so much fun! DH's mom and
> > favorite aunt were able to come from out of state for them, which was a
> > treat as well. They were very different showers--one was a very
> traditional
> > shower held in the morning (we had brunch, played games, had cake,
opened
> > presents) and the other was a men-invited-too barbeque in the afternoon.
> > They were both really fun. We got lots of nice, thoughtful gifts as
well,
> > which was a fun part of the day as well :-) Now, I feel much better
> equipped
> > to come up with an accurate "baby needs" list for DH & I to work on.
>
> I think I already mentioned that we don't have baby showers over here -
> people come by 3 weeks/a month after the birth to see the baby and bring
> presents.
> DH & I decided to have a barbeque party for some of our closest friends by
> the end of August, while he is still on holiday, and enjoy their company.
It
> will not be a shower, and we don't plan to make it *baby-related*, so it
> will not be a shower.

That sounds like it will be very nice. A lot of people here have sort of
"baby welcoming" parties after the baby arrives (that do no necessitate
gifts, but people will sometimes still bring them). I think it is nice,
because then everyone gets to see the "main attraction!"

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

==Daye==
July 17th 03, 10:12 PM
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:34:20 GMT, "Em"
> wrote:

>I have confidence that if I start to feel
>overwhelmed by all the "company," that they will step out though.

This reminds me of a funny story that a friend of my DH's family
likes to tell. When she was in labor, she wasn't exactly Mrs.
GraceUnderPressure. She yelled at her DH to leave. So the DH
starts to head out the door because that was what she wanted.
Then she yelled, "Where in the h*ll do you think you are
going?!?!?!"

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Elly
July 20th 03, 07:44 AM
"Em" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> I have trouble with really tensing up during internal exams. So much so,
> that last time I had a pelvic/pap (the day we conceived this baby, funnily
> enough!) the doctor said, "haven't you *had* a pelvic exam before?!"

I always try thinking about something else during the internal exams, like
shopping lists, what to do next, etc., but it does not work often, since she
talks through the exams ABOUT the exam.... so even if I want to *mentally*
escape from the room, I'm still trapped there!

> > she had a really bad experience giving birth to me (from having an
> > ectopic pregnancy before me, having a split uterus & the birth canal and
> the
> > doctors not knowing about it (no ultrasounds then!), going to labour
> > naturally (her water broke) but as no one knew about split uterus &
birth
> > canal, I could not pass through - they tried to cut the skin that was
> > dividing the uterus and birth canal in two but then she bleed heavily,
> then
> > they established I was feet first anyway, and decided to do a C-section,
> > which I'm sure was a blessing in her case) and she is always worried
about
> > what my experience would be - more than I am, actually! - so I don't
want
> > her to go through all this. I know she will still worry, but if she is
in
> > the waiting room, DH will be able to go out and tell her about the
> progress,
> > and I will take comfort from knowing she is so close by.
>
> Wow! Your mom's experience sounds just horrendous. Wow :-(

Yes - and I forgot to mention that when she was 6 months pregnant, an OB/GYN
(not the regular one, a substitute) told her that she has a cyst size of a
male fist in the birth canal and "who allowed her to get pregnant"? He wrote
a big T (for tumour) in her pregnancy chart and told her we will both die.
Luckily she still had some presence of mind to visit immediately another
ob/gyn (head of the university prenatal clinic) who examined her, found no
cyst/tumour, calmed her down and got the first ob/gyn in big trouble (she
always said that he said that medical personnel who tell pregnant women news
in such a manner should not deserve to practice at all - mental piece of
mind is as important as everything being OK with the baby, if not more).

> > If I REALLY needed
> > her, I'm 101% sure she'd put her worries and fears aside and go in the
> > delivery room to be with me.
> > But my decision about being there only with DH is mainly based on this
> being
> > a *private party* for just the two of us ;-)
>
> My mom is going to attend this birth as well as DH & my doula and possibly
> my best friend as well. I have confidence that if I start to feel
> overwhelmed by all the "company," that they will step out though. Since
I'll
> be having the baby at the birth centre & there won't be all of the
> miscellaneous hospital personnel milling in and out, I don't think it will
> feel too crowded. I'm looking forward to having the support of the people
> that mean the most during this time! I do sometimes worry that I will be
> focused on them & whether they're "doing all right" though. We'll see!

It certainly is different if you are having the birth at the birth centre -
as you know, I will have a hospital birth and there will be lot of personnel
milling in and out - if I make it through one shift (7 am to 7 pm or vice
versa), I will have at least 1 ob/gyn, 2 midwives, 2 nurses and maybe an
anaesthesiologist poking around - and if I make it to the second shift, the
number of the personnel will be doubled :-(

Elly
28 weeks + 6 days
EDD October 6th

Elly
July 20th 03, 07:44 AM
"David&Wendy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> going to a dentist while pregnant is ok i went for cavities while preggy
> with ds i hated the needles aso but doc was gentle and got rid of the
> cavities but then saw another one but i was getting to much heart burn
> sitting in the chair to continue so i have to make an appoinment now but
> virtually impossible with newborn.. best of luck hope your tooth ache goes
> away and doesn't reappear late in pregnancy
> wendy

Yes, I prefer going to the dentist while pregnant than getting a massive
cavity ;-)
Fortunately, this did not require any needles - I don't hate them, but don't
want them during pregnancy - and I hope it will not require them at my next
appointment in about 3 weeks!
No toothache for 2 weeks now, so I think the med he put in the cavity is
working.

Good luck with your next dentist appointment :-)

How are you feeling? How is your little one?

Elly
28 weeks + 6 days
EDD October 6th

Em
July 30th 03, 02:38 AM
"Elly" > wrote in message
> "Elly" > ha scritto nel messaggio news:...
> > "Em" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > > I don't feel the baby when I'm in the water either. I thought he must
be
> > > lulled to sleep or something. However, two weekends ago I put my hands
> on
> > > both sides of belly while in the water when I was talking to DH about
> not
> > > feeling him in the water and he most definitely *was* moving, I just
> > wasn't
> > > feeling it! I was really surprised. I wonder if the stimulation of the
> > water
> > > on your body changes your sensory perception of the baby's movements
> > > somehow? Anyway, try it next time you swim and see if your baby is
> really
> > > moving too! It was really odd for me--definitely like I only feel him
> from
> > > the outside (I guess like DH!).
>
> > Thanks for the tip, I will try that the next time I go swimming!
>
> I tried - but still no movement while swimming. I guess water calms it
down
> :-)

Sounds like it does have a restful effect on your baby! Btw, I didn't get a
chance to say it yesterday but congrats on the 30-week mark! Doesn't it seem
to mark the beginning of the downhill slide to d-day?! Speedy, speedy.

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Em
July 30th 03, 10:25 PM
"Elly" > wrote in message
> "Em" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Btw, I didn't get a
> > chance to say it yesterday but congrats on the 30-week mark! Doesn't it
> seem
> > to mark the beginning of the downhill slide to d-day?! Speedy, speedy.
> > --
> > Em
> > edd 9/23/03
> > (32 weeks today!)
>
> Em, congratulations on 32 weeks :-))
> Doesn't it seems like half of the time we are congratulating each other on
> reaching another week?! ;-) That's good, I like it a lot!

Thanks :-) Each week feels like an important milestone! I'd hate to let them
just pass by without acknowlegement ;-) I do think 30 weeks feels like a
particularly important one though.

> For me 30 weeks is both scary and wonderful - it seems so close to the
> childbirth, but yet not close enough - like the big day ahead is still
kind
> of foggy... does that make any sense?

I know exactly what you mean. I feel like I've gotten into the swing of
being pregnant, full force, but now we're talking *baby* on the horizon! I
don't think one can ever really get a handle on what things will be like
when the baby arrives, but even so, I'd like to feel a bit more like I did
know what it would be like (hmm. That didn't make a lot of sense either!). I
remember that early on in my pregnancy I said I felt constantly aware of
being pregnant, but yet somehow removed from the *reality* of being
pregnant. Well now I feel quite comfortable with the reality of being
pregnant and quite conscious of the fact that I'm going to have a baby soon,
but somehow detached from the *reality* that there is going to be a birth &
a *baby*! It is hard to explain in writing.

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Elly
July 31st 03, 04:43 AM
"Em" > ha scritto nel messaggio
<snip>
> now I feel quite comfortable with the reality of being
> pregnant and quite conscious of the fact that I'm going to have a baby
soon,
> but somehow detached from the *reality* that there is going to be a birth
&
> a *baby*! It is hard to explain in writing.
>
> --
> Em
> edd 9/23/03

No, you described it so well - this is exactly how I feel like!
I can imagine the rest of the pregnancy, but when I try to think about the
day of the childbirth and the days afterwards... nothing, a complete fog! So
the reality of it is still *out there*...

Elly
30 weeks + 3 days
EDD October 6th

Nina
July 31st 03, 07:18 AM
"Elly" > wrote in message

> "Em" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> <snip>
> > now I feel quite comfortable with the reality of being
> > pregnant and quite conscious of the fact that I'm going to have a baby
> soon,
> > but somehow detached from the *reality* that there is going to be a
birth
> &
> > a *baby*! It is hard to explain in writing.
> >
> > --
> > Em
> > edd 9/23/03
>
> No, you described it so well - this is exactly how I feel like!
> I can imagine the rest of the pregnancy, but when I try to think about the
> day of the childbirth and the days afterwards... nothing, a complete fog!
So
> the reality of it is still *out there*...

This is my 3rd, but I still have problems connecting "Im pregnant" and "Im
going to have a baby" and "There will be another child in this house ALL THE
TIME LIVING HERE WITH ME".
I can accept number 1, number2 is just a vague awareness. Number 3 startles
me and throws me into a panic at times!!

zeldabee
July 31st 03, 05:27 PM
Ericka Kammerer > wrote:
> Elly wrote:
[...]
> > I can imagine the rest of the pregnancy, but when I try to think about
> > the day of the childbirth and the days afterwards... nothing, a
> > complete fog! So the reality of it is still *out there*...
>
> If it makes you feel any better, I felt the same way
> even with the third pregnancy. And all three times I would have
> pregnancy dreams where I'd had the baby but somehow forgot to
> feed him or her (as if that's even possible...).

I had a dream the other night that I came home with the baby, and then
realized all the things I'd forgotten to get--diapers, baby clothes, etc. I
needed to change him, and I was looking around thinking, will a dishtowel
work? I was apologizing to the baby. Then I had to feed him, and forgot how
to do it. At some point, he started to talk to me, but that part's a bit
fuzzy. :o)

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

Em
July 31st 03, 06:10 PM
"zeldabee" > wrote in message
> I had a dream the other night that I came home with the baby, and then
> realized all the things I'd forgotten to get--diapers, baby clothes, etc.
> needed to change him, and I was looking around thinking, will a dishtowel
> work? I was apologizing to the baby. Then I had to feed him, and forgot
how
> to do it. At some point, he started to talk to me, but that part's a bit
> fuzzy. :o)

I dreamed last night that I had the baby and he was incredibly small and
thin with a very weird shaped head (flat kind of). I had him and was up and
walking around and chatting with people and then said, "oh, I haven't held
him yet!" When I did hold him, he was very uncuddly and had complete head
control--looking around all over--and trying to grab things off of the
shelves. I was trying to find toys for him to play with that he would
like--kept offering various things and saying, "do you like that?" Some part
of my consciousness in the dream realized that it was really odd that he was
so small and yet already grabbing toys and I thought in the dream, "he's not
supposed to be doing this yet, is he?"

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Elly
August 1st 03, 05:05 PM
"Nina" > ha scritto nel messaggio
< Number 3 startles
> me and throws me into a panic at times!!

Oh no, I don't panic about it, I just can't picture it - you know, having
the baby around all the time. I can imagine certain moments of the day, but
can't imagine what a whole day would be like - and then a week, a month, a
year, a lifetime...
But, today we went shopping (bought travel system, clothes, lots of stuff -
but I still need to go back and buy some stuff for the hospital bag) so I
guess seeing this stuff around me all the time now until the birth will make
it more real...

I don't have any panicky dreams either - I just had two weird ones recently:
1st dream - my friend Diana got married on July 13th and she told me she's
like to get pregnant right away. I was really excited (no news yet, though)
and dreamt that we were pregnant at the same time - only she gave birth to
twin boys before I had a baby (although technically if she gets pregnant
now, she'd be pregnant cca 2 months) - one day she was pregnant, the next
she was going around with the twins, and I was still going for a walk with
them with my bump :-)

2nd dream - in a dream DH is putting our baby (can't tell whether it's a boy
or a girl, only remember the baby wearing something blue) in the car seat in
the car, and I am angry with DH because the car seat is too big for the
baby!

Elly
30 weeks + 4 days
EDD October 6th

Nina
August 1st 03, 08:47 PM
"Elly" > wrote in message

> "Nina" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> < Number 3 startles
> > me and throws me into a panic at times!!
>

> Oh no, I don't panic about it, I just can't picture it - you know, having
> the baby around all the time. I can imagine certain moments of the day,
but
> can't imagine what a whole day would be like - and then a week, a month, a
> year, a lifetime...

I have 4 here already,and my husband is in Iraq till March or April. so I
PANIC,lol. OH GOD HOW AM I GOING TO DO THIS?????????

Em
August 1st 03, 08:52 PM
"Elly" > wrote in message
> "Nina" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> < Number 3 startles
> > me and throws me into a panic at times!!
>

> Oh no, I don't panic about it, I just can't picture it - you know, having
> the baby around all the time. I can imagine certain moments of the day,
but
> can't imagine what a whole day would be like - and then a week, a month, a
> year, a lifetime...
<snip>

I'm not worried about handling the actual baby care at all. What does make
me a bit anxious is the *constantness* of it! Also, what does freak me out a
bit is kind of like you said above--realizing that this isn't just about a
baby entering our lives, it is about a lifetime change! For example, after
our baby showers when I was putting all of our new things away, I called DH
in to see all of the baby clothes laid out. I said something to the effect
of, "oh, isn't it so fun to see all of his little clothes." Then, I had and
shared the sudden realization that we are going to be buying this kid
clothes for the next 18 years! It isn't just about the sweet little baby
stuff! ;-)

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Circe
August 1st 03, 10:16 PM
Ericka Kammerer wrote:
> No kidding. And, alas, the older the boys get, the more
> miserable the shopping--at least around here. I have a devil of
> a time finding nice boy clothes, particularly dressy clothes.
> You wouldn't think it would be that much to ask for simple, decent
> quality clothes in nice colors, but apparently boys are only
> supposed to wear drab colors and t-shirts with slogans or logos
> on them ;-)

Oh, boy, tell me about it! Julian is the ring-bearer in his cousin's wedding
tomorrow. Since it's an outdoor, summer wedding, she wanted him to wear just
a pair of nice slacks, a white dress shirt, and the tie she provided. I
managed to find the slacks and shirt at Mervyn's, so that was okay (but
you're right--forget finding anything dressy but not either black and white
or navy and white), but finding a pair of dressy black shoes in his size (3
to 3 1/2 depending on the shoe--yes, the child has monster feet) was a
nightmare. I finally did manage to find a pair at, of all places, Payless
Shoes, but I had to go to several Payless stores to find them in the right
size and that was only after looking in a number of other stores and trying
on several pair that he found horribly uncomfortable first. I'm just glad we
found some yesterday, as I didn't want to be reduced to shopping all day
Saturday to get something he could wear or else send him down the aisle
barefoot.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [7/22/97], Aurora [7/19/99], and Vernon's [3/2/02] mom)

"He [Gray Davis] be allowed to serve out his term." -- Letters to the
Editor [probably a typesetter's error, but too funny to pass up]

Needless to say, they are not those of my Internet Service Provider,
its corporate executives or lackeys. Anyone who says otherwise is
itchin' for a fight. -- with apologies to Michael Feldman

Ericka Kammerer
August 1st 03, 10:30 PM
Em wrote:

> I'm not worried about handling the actual baby care at all. What does make
> me a bit anxious is the *constantness* of it!

That is the rub, if you ask me. It's not that any particular
part of parenting is difficult so much as it is that it's *nonstop*,
and your "boss" starts out with *very* limited patience ;-) Actually,
I think pregnancy is that way too. It's not that it's so bad at any
given time (barring complications) as it is that it's relentless.
If you could just let your partner take over for a night, it would
be much more bearable! Fortunately, once the baby's out, your
partner *can* take over sometimes ;-)

> Also, what does freak me out a
> bit is kind of like you said above--realizing that this isn't just about a
> baby entering our lives, it is about a lifetime change! For example, after
> our baby showers when I was putting all of our new things away, I called DH
> in to see all of the baby clothes laid out. I said something to the effect
> of, "oh, isn't it so fun to see all of his little clothes." Then, I had and
> shared the sudden realization that we are going to be buying this kid
> clothes for the next 18 years! It isn't just about the sweet little baby
> stuff! ;-)

No kidding. And, alas, the older the boys get, the more
miserable the shopping--at least around here. I have a devil of
a time finding nice boy clothes, particularly dressy clothes.
You wouldn't think it would be that much to ask for simple, decent
quality clothes in nice colors, but apparently boys are only
supposed to wear drab colors and t-shirts with slogans or logos
on them ;-) I feel like I'm reduced to shopping at Talbots Kids,
even though it would be nice to branch out style-wise on occasion.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Ericka Kammerer
August 1st 03, 10:45 PM
Circe wrote:

> Oh, boy, tell me about it! Julian is the ring-bearer in his cousin's wedding
> tomorrow. Since it's an outdoor, summer wedding, she wanted him to wear just
> a pair of nice slacks, a white dress shirt, and the tie she provided.

Oh, you don't even want to hear what we went through to get
Adrian clothed for his stint as ringbearer a few years ago (black
suit, white dress shirt, black tie, black dress shoes). We were
probably out hours and hours of shopping and at least $300+ before
it was over (so that he could positively swelter in the oppressive
heat in the un-airconditioned chapel in the middle of summer ;-)

> managed to find the slacks and shirt at Mervyn's, so that was okay (but
> you're right--forget finding anything dressy but not either black and white
> or navy and white), but finding a pair of dressy black shoes in his size (3
> to 3 1/2 depending on the shoe--yes, the child has monster feet) was a
> nightmare. I finally did manage to find a pair at, of all places, Payless
> Shoes, but I had to go to several Payless stores to find them in the right
> size and that was only after looking in a number of other stores and trying
> on several pair that he found horribly uncomfortable first. I'm just glad we
> found some yesterday, as I didn't want to be reduced to shopping all day
> Saturday to get something he could wear or else send him down the aisle
> barefoot.

Fortunately we have a Nordstrom store that has a very good
selection of children's shoes, so I can usually find dress shoes
there. Of course, they're not cheap either, especially for
something they're not going to wear all that often :-( In the summer,
we're all wedded to our Birkenstocks, which makes life easy for
everyone ;-) In fact, I just got a call that Colin's pair (had to
order them since they didn't have any in his size in stock) has
arrived and is ready for pickup. Thank goodness--he's miserable
with socks (leaves them everywhere or refuses to change into
fresh ones daily--ugh).

Best wishes,
Ericka