PDA

View Full Version : 36 week update

Alicia Elliott
July 9th 03, 09:06 PM
I've finally reached 9 months! I am so glad to be at this point, and I will
be even more glad when it is all over. As I write this I think about Chotii
who ended up on bed rest for months, that must have been so miserable.

I can safely say that I have also been miserable for this entire pregnancy.
Of course there are good spots, like feeling my baby's movements, hearing
the heartbeat for the first time and so on. Anyway, on to the update:

My midwife is pleased that I am coming along so well, my blood pressure is
normal, urine is clean. I lost two pounds over the last couple weeks
(strange considering what I have been eating, I can't seem to get enough of
good ole English fish n chips! But I also eat a ton of fresh fruit and
veggies). Baby's heartrate is in the normal range and variable, so healthy.
: ) I measure right where I should be at 36 cm from pubic bone to top of
uterus.

I've set up the baby's area, got the home birthing kit and discussed my
birth plan with the midwife.

Apart from that, my nausea has returned (seems to get worse when I am
stressed out, my guess is the impending birth is doing it this time.) I
feel well prepared for the birth, and confident in my ability to have an
empowered experience, but it is still scary since it is my first baby. I've
also got sharp pain in my inner thigh which has been getting steadily worse
for the last 6 weeks, it makes it really painful to turn over in bed at
night, lift my foot up to tie my shoes and so on. I am sleeping much better
now, there was a time when I would wake up 10-15 times a night, now I wake
up about 6-10 times and sleep deeply in between. I have difficulty with the
direct sunlight which I loved so much at the beginning of summer. I get
faint, and nauseous, so have to stay in the shade. Not that that is a big
deal, but I really would like to take advantage of the nice weather here.

One of the hardest things for me lately is letting go of being able to do a
lot of what I want. I can no longer do some chores around the house
(without a lot of discomfort that is), so my Lovely Husband has been
galantly taking over and gently scolding me when I try to help. He takes
such good care of me. : ) I am terribly independent and like to be mobile
and to contribute, so this last 4 weeks, and probably the next four weeks
are going to be tough. I hate having to ask for help with silly things like
bringing in the groceries from the car. I guess this is a good teaching
tool to prepare me for when the baby comes because at that point, I will
have to give up a lot of my independence and ask for help too, otherwise the
baby and me will both not be very healthy. I'll just be glad to have my
body back again.

That really sounded like a rant didn't it? -sigh- I guess I've just had
enough of this pregnancy thing. The end is in sight!!!

-Alicia

daisy
July 9th 03, 10:34 PM
Hi Belly Buddy,
Im almost at 9 months (only 6 more days) and I feel the same way that you
do, Im really tired of this but bed rest would have been worse.

I really sorry that you have been so miserable. Ive only been miserable for
about 4 weeks now. I cant sleep worth a darn, nothing sounds good to eat
and my back and sides have been hurting me alot lately. Im suprised that
you have lost so much weight, Ive gained 4 pounds in 1.5 weeks! I measure
good and the only weight Ive gained is all out front. Im thinking that my
baby is going to be alot bigger than they think. It is nice to know that I
can have him anytime and he would be OK.

How nice that you have a birth plan. I dont have one, at least not yet. DH
and I are taking our classes this weekend so Ill know more about what Im
getting myself into then ; )

Ive been feeling sick lately as well. I think its the heat. Im not really
nervous about labor yet, I just dont know what to expect. We have been
keeping ourselves busy. Im still working and plan to until at least the end
of the month. DH and I are busy every weekend until August. I still have
my shower to look forward to (its on the 19th and there will be about 60
people there!) so that will be really fun. Were supposed to go to Seattle
(about 1.5 hours away from where I live) on the 26th as long as its OK with
my DR. I will only have 2.5 weeks left then so well see!

I planted 2 flowers last weekend and about fell over from exhaustion. Its
not that Im out of shape because Ive been swimming 4 times a week, but I was
really uncomfortable and it hurt really bad. When I was just a few weeks
pregnant I was getting my hair done and I overheard a lady that only had a
few weeks to go and she said she was tired of being a host, I laughed at the
time but now I know exactly how she feels!

Take Care Alicia,
Daisy
"Alicia Elliott" > wrote in message
. ca...
> [...]
> galantly taking over and gently scolding me when I try to help. He takes
> such good care of me. : ) I am terribly independent and like to be
mobile
> and to contribute, so this last 4 weeks, and probably the next four weeks
> are going to be tough. I hate having to ask for help with silly things
like
> bringing in the groceries from the car. I guess this is a good teaching
> tool to prepare me for when the baby comes because at that point, I will
> have to give up a lot of my independence and ask for help too, otherwise
the
> baby and me will both not be very healthy. I'll just be glad to have my
> body back again.
>
> That really sounded like a rant didn't it? -sigh- I guess I've just had
> enough of this pregnancy thing. The end is in sight!!!

Em
July 10th 03, 04:47 PM
"Alicia Elliott" > wrote in message
> I've finally reached 9 months! I am so glad to be at this point, and I
will
> be even more glad when it is all over. As I write this I think about
Chotii
> who ended up on bed rest for months, that must have been so miserable.

Congratulations! You're really on the final downhill bit to mama-dom now!
Do you have any *feelings* about when your expect the baby to be born? I've
met some people with a very definite sense about when the baby was coming.

> I can safely say that I have also been miserable for this entire
pregnancy.
> Of course there are good spots, like feeling my baby's movements, hearing
> the heartbeat for the first time and so on. Anyway, on to the update:

I'm sorry it has been hard on you. At least you have some great pix! :-)

> I've set up the baby's area, got the home birthing kit and discussed my
> birth plan with the midwife.
>
> Apart from that, my nausea has returned (seems to get worse when I am
> stressed out, my guess is the impending birth is doing it this time.) I
> feel well prepared for the birth, and confident in my ability to have an
> empowered experience, but it is still scary since it is my first baby.
I've
> also got sharp pain in my inner thigh which has been getting steadily
worse
> for the last 6 weeks, it makes it really painful to turn over in bed at
> night, lift my foot up to tie my shoes and so on. I am sleeping much
better
> now, there was a time when I would wake up 10-15 times a night, now I wake
> up about 6-10 times and sleep deeply in between. I have difficulty with
the
> direct sunlight which I loved so much at the beginning of summer. I get
> faint, and nauseous, so have to stay in the shade. Not that that is a big
> deal, but I really would like to take advantage of the nice weather here.

Sounds like things are going well overall (with your health, baby, & birth
planning), but bummer about the continued nausea. What a pain. I can see how
just that alone would really cast a shadow on your enjoyment of being
pregnant, let alone coupled with the other discomforts you've been
experiencing. I <knock on wood> have luckily yet to have any problems
sleeping at all. I usually even go all through the night without having to
use the bathroom (though I do sometimes have to make a little trip there at
about 5:30 a.m, but that is it). I know what you mean about feeling sick in
the sun though. Last weekend, I got so hot in my parents' house (I wasn't
even in the sun then), that I started to feel kind of dizzy & also almost
like I had a fever. We turned the a/c on after that!

> One of the hardest things for me lately is letting go of being able to do
> lot of what I want. I can no longer do some chores around the house
> (without a lot of discomfort that is), so my Lovely Husband has been
> galantly taking over and gently scolding me when I try to help. He takes
> such good care of me. : ) I am terribly independent and like to be
mobile
> and to contribute, so this last 4 weeks, and probably the next four weeks
> are going to be tough. I hate having to ask for help with silly things
like
> bringing in the groceries from the car. I guess this is a good teaching
> tool to prepare me for when the baby comes because at that point, I will
> have to give up a lot of my independence and ask for help too, otherwise
the
> baby and me will both not be very healthy. I'll just be glad to have my
> body back again.

I always feel like I have to apologize to DH for asking for help or for
asking him to do something for me instead of doing it myself. He is very
obliging & always assures me that I shouldn't apologize, etc, but I still
have guilt over not taking care of everything I used to. I still *can* do
almost everything I did before, but sometimes I don't *want* to, becuase it
feels like more effort is required now!

> That really sounded like a rant didn't it? -sigh- I guess I've just had
> enough of this pregnancy thing. The end is in sight!!!

The end is definitely in sight! Hang in there! You could be holding your
baby in a week or so!

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

David&Wendy
July 10th 03, 09:38 PM
Well congrats Alicia glad you will be able to hold your little one soon
enough!! Best of luck with birth!!
I am a recent mom of two week old conor sleeps and sleeps and drinks poops
pees and more sleep he is a very sleepy baby anyhow congrats and best
wishes!!
wendy
> [...]
> galantly taking over and gently scolding me when I try to help. He takes
> such good care of me. : ) I am terribly independent and like to be
mobile
> and to contribute, so this last 4 weeks, and probably the next four weeks
> are going to be tough. I hate having to ask for help with silly things
like
> bringing in the groceries from the car. I guess this is a good teaching
> tool to prepare me for when the baby comes because at that point, I will
> have to give up a lot of my independence and ask for help too, otherwise
the
> baby and me will both not be very healthy. I'll just be glad to have my
> body back again.
>
> That really sounded like a rant didn't it? -sigh- I guess I've just had
> enough of this pregnancy thing. The end is in sight!!!

Alicia Elliott
July 10th 03, 10:56 PM
Hiya Daisy, you are always so kind in your messages to me. : ) I like
having a belly buddy so close in time to me, it makes for easy
understanding. : ) Too bad you aren't here in Victoria, or I was there, it
would be nice to meet you and your little one once it arrives.

That back and side pain is sure a drag! I know all about that. My husband
has been giving me massages from time to time, all up and down my legs and
buttocks, boy does that feel good at the end of the day. -sigh- I'm
surprised that I lost weight too, I was sure I had gained some. But my
midwife says that is normal (just like everything else). I went through a
time when I gained a ton too, I gained 6.5 pounds in one month (in my second
trimester). I like to think that it was because of a growth spurt, like you
said, it was the baby that put on the weight. : )

Your classes will hopefully help you with knowing what you want for your
birth, I sure learned some interesting things at my classes. For the most
part, the classes were stuff that I already knew, but the stuff I didn't
know was invaluable. I forget, are you working with a midwife or an OB?
Good luck with your birth plan. : )

Yeah, the heat really doesn't help for nausea does it? It's been so
beautiful, I wish I could go out and enjoy it like I normally would. Today
my mum and husband and I are going to have a BBQ at the lake. I can't wait
to go swimming! Last time I went swimming was in early June when we had a
massive heatwave. I went every day then. But the lakes were still pretty
chilly. I'm looking forward to being nice and light in the water as well.
I can't believe how awkward everything is these days.

Your shower sounds like it will be a blast!!! Let me know how it goes. 60
people!!! HOLY COW!!! LOL I thought that mine was pretty decent when 10
people showed up. LOL I hope you'll be mobile and energetic enough when
you have to go to Seattle. At least it isn't too long of a drive. I've
made a couple of day trips up the island in the last two weeks, but they
were about 4.5 hours drive each way, and that really wore me out. I've
limited myself to about an hour drive out and back now, it's just too
uncomfortable on my bum otherwise. Sitting on a pillow has helped though.
Do you have air conditioning in your car? That sure has been a blessing for
us. : )

I know what you mean about how you felt when you were planting. One of my
favourite passtimes is to take out my camera to the horticultural center
here in town and shoot the newest flowers that have come out. But this last
time I was so uncomfortable it wasn't fun at all. I got too hot, and
bending over sent me reeling. Also, the relaxin that's affecting all my
joints has made it difficult to squat without feeling pain in my hips and
knees, so I can't do anything below eye level. : P

Soon!!!! Soon this will all be over and I can enjoy my precious 'Little
Bit'. : ) I hope you'll post some pics of your baby when it comes! I'd
love to see what he/she looks like. You can bet that I'll be burning
through film like nothing else. LOL

Thanks again for your response Daisy, it's good to gripe to someone who
understands. LOL Take care of yourself too, Alicia