PDA

View Full Version : Ok, another name poll :)

Kari
July 10th 03, 09:07 PM
We have our boy name picked but we are undecided on a girl name. We have our
top 2 choices and we cannot seem to pick one over the other. We've basically
decided to wait and see what she looks like (if she turns out to be a she)
and go from there. But since Cheryl just started a name poll, I thought you
guys could at least give an opinion.

Ameila Grace OR Paige Noelle

I think its definately going to be between those top 2 but I've heard so
many pretty names from family and friends that its gotten terribly hard to
pick and I keep rethinking and changing my mind! Im glad we picked a boy
name before I was even pregnant, (he however, does not have a middle name
picked yet :)

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due Sept/Oct

Kari
July 10th 03, 09:08 PM
Ok it would help if I spelled the name right...lol. Yes it is Amelia not
Ameila. (duh pregnancy brain :P

Kari

"Kari" > wrote in message
> We have our boy name picked but we are undecided on a girl name. We have
our
> top 2 choices and we cannot seem to pick one over the other. We've
basically
> decided to wait and see what she looks like (if she turns out to be a she)
> and go from there. But since Cheryl just started a name poll, I thought
you
> guys could at least give an opinion.
>
> Ameila Grace OR Paige Noelle
>
> I think its definately going to be between those top 2 but I've heard so
> many pretty names from family and friends that its gotten terribly hard to
> pick and I keep rethinking and changing my mind! Im glad we picked a boy
> name before I was even pregnant, (he however, does not have a middle name
> picked yet :)
>
> Kari
> mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due Sept/Oct

Shelly
July 10th 03, 09:27 PM
i absolutly love paige. Its more contemporary. but look at my name i chose
for my son...its way biblical..;..i do like paige.

--

Shelly
Mommy to Zachariah
"Kari" > wrote in message
> Ok it would help if I spelled the name right...lol. Yes it is Amelia not
> Ameila. (duh pregnancy brain :P
>
> Kari
>

> "Kari" > wrote in message
> > We have our boy name picked but we are undecided on a girl name. We have
> our
> > top 2 choices and we cannot seem to pick one over the other. We've
> basically
> > decided to wait and see what she looks like (if she turns out to be a
she)
> > and go from there. But since Cheryl just started a name poll, I thought
> you
> > guys could at least give an opinion.
> >
> > Ameila Grace OR Paige Noelle
> >
> > I think its definately going to be between those top 2 but I've heard so
> > many pretty names from family and friends that its gotten terribly hard
> > pick and I keep rethinking and changing my mind! Im glad we picked a boy
> > name before I was even pregnant, (he however, does not have a middle
name
> > picked yet :)
> >
> > Kari
> > mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due Sept/Oct

Irish Marie
July 10th 03, 09:28 PM
"Kari" > wrote in message
> We have our boy name picked but we are undecided on a girl name. We have
our
> top 2 choices and we cannot seem to pick one over the other. We've
basically
> decided to wait and see what she looks like (if she turns out to be a she)
> and go from there. But since Cheryl just started a name poll, I thought
you
> guys could at least give an opinion.
>
> Ameila Grace OR Paige Noelle

I prefer Ameila Grace, or did you mean Amelia? Which is even nicer!

--
Marie
Mum to DD5, DS3 and due #3 July '03

Cheryl S.
July 10th 03, 09:55 PM
Kari > wrote in message
> We have our boy name picked but we are undecided on a girl
> name. We have our top 2 choices and we cannot seem to pick
> one over the other.
>
> Ameila Grace OR Paige Noelle

I think they are both really pretty, which doesn't help you any! If I
had to choose, I would pick Amelia Grace only because it "flows" better
to my ears.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 3 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Alicia Elliott
July 10th 03, 10:19 PM
Hi Kari, my humble opinion: I like Paige Noelle better. It's more
original, and I've always liked the name Noelle. We had that on our list
for a first name for a girl when we were deciding. Good luck! -Alicia

"Kari" > wrote in message
> We have our boy name picked but we are undecided on a girl name. We have
our
> top 2 choices and we cannot seem to pick one over the other. We've
basically
> decided to wait and see what she looks like (if she turns out to be a she)
> and go from there. But since Cheryl just started a name poll, I thought
you
> guys could at least give an opinion.
>
> Ameila Grace OR Paige Noelle
>
> I think its definately going to be between those top 2 but I've heard so
> many pretty names from family and friends that its gotten terribly hard to
> pick and I keep rethinking and changing my mind! Im glad we picked a boy
> name before I was even pregnant, (he however, does not have a middle name
> picked yet :)
>
> Kari
> mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due Sept/Oct

Nina
July 10th 03, 11:26 PM
Amelia Grace flows better.

"Kari" > wrote in message
> We have our boy name picked but we are undecided on a girl name. We have
our
> top 2 choices and we cannot seem to pick one over the other. We've
basically
> decided to wait and see what she looks like (if she turns out to be a she)
> and go from there. But since Cheryl just started a name poll, I thought
you
> guys could at least give an opinion.
>
> Ameila Grace OR Paige Noelle
>
> I think its definately going to be between those top 2 but I've heard so
> many pretty names from family and friends that its gotten terribly hard to
> pick and I keep rethinking and changing my mind! Im glad we picked a boy
> name before I was even pregnant, (he however, does not have a middle name
> picked yet :)
>
> Kari
> mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due Sept/Oct

Nina
July 10th 03, 11:27 PM
"Kari" > wrote

> Ya know what's strange? I have a Noah and our boy name pick is Gabriel and
> we aren't even Christian. :)

Neither were Noah and Gabriel! :)

Kari
July 10th 03, 11:35 PM
"Nina" > wrote in message
t...
> Amelia Grace flows better.

Yeah that is my #1 pick but dh likes Paige better. I love them both so
either would be ok with me.

Thanks!

Kari

Ali's Daddie
July 11th 03, 12:47 AM
"Kari" > wrote in message
> We have our boy name picked but we are undecided on a girl name. We have
our
> top 2 choices and we cannot seem to pick one over the other. We've
basically
> decided to wait and see what she looks like (if she turns out to be a she)
> and go from there. But since Cheryl just started a name poll, I thought
you
> guys could at least give an opinion.
>
> Ameila Grace OR Paige Noelle

My personal preference would be to mix the 2 names up a bit. I like the
sound of Amelia Noelle better than either of the 2 configurations you have
;-)

But again, I am weird with names lol.

--

LES!

Daddie to Alegra Lee. May 25th 2003!
"Daddie's Little Diva"

before you reply to me via email,
please remove your hat

Kari
July 11th 03, 12:59 AM

> Well, about two weeks before she was born, Theona's name was all
> ready to be Fiona. Katrina told someone was it was, and the person
> she told misheard it as Theona. Kirk and I decided we liked Theona
> better, and there you are.
>
> Michelle
> Flutist

Fiona was the first name we had picked actually, how weird :) No one liked
it, and after hearing tons of negative comments we decided to choose
something else. I like Theona better actually too, its soooo pretty!

Kari

Ali's Daddie
July 11th 03, 01:03 AM
"Kari" > wrote in message news:8IjPa.92437

> Im glad we picked a boy
> name before I was even pregnant, (he however, does not have a middle name
> picked yet :)
>
> Kari
> mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due Sept/Oct

We were just the opposite. We committed to a middle name the day we found
out we were having the baby. So we had to find something that would not
sound stupid with it..

Lee was the middle name.

1 suggestion we got for a boy was Brock...

Ok, his name would have been Brock Lee (say it out loud lol)

After that it became a joke finding something silly to go with Lee. Another
favorite silly name was Lola Lee! (I would never have chosen that name for
real though)

After we found out the baby was a girl, we instantly decided on Matthew for
a boy (In memory of Matthew Shepherd, someone who has touched many gay mens
lives), and toyed around with girls names for months. Alegra was originally
going to be spelled Alegrah until I was told that it looked "ghetto"
(whatever that means) I knew that I definitely did not want the "Allegra"
spelling. I also tossed the idea around about Alegre. but nixed that idea
when someone pronounced it the way it is spelled. (sounds like pedigree
sorta) However, we finally decided on a name...

Samantha. but that was quickly changed when late one night, Jarrod was
having a dream of a teenage Samantha getting into something she was not
supposed to get into. I was awakened by him SCREAMING "Samantha Lee, you
have had it now". I woke him and told him to start thinking of other names.
lol

My favorite name though was Jacinda. I have loved the name for years, but
made the mistake of naming a pet that several years ago, and thought the
baby would be traumatized if we named her after a pomeranian lol.

I'll stop now, but choosing names was one of my favorite things to do :-D

--

LES!

Daddie to Alegra Lee. May 25th 2003!
"Daddie's Little Diva"

before you reply to me via email,
please remove your hat

Ericka Kammerer
July 11th 03, 01:06 AM
Kari wrote:

> Ameila Grace OR Paige Noelle

I like Amelia, and obviously like Grace too. A friend's
daughter is named Paige, and she is just the greatest. She's
so fun and spunky! She's the first Paige I've known personally,
and she's really sold me on the name. I never would have thought
about it previously, but now I really like it.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Denise
July 11th 03, 01:14 AM
"Kari" > wrote in message

> > Well, about two weeks before she was born, Theona's name was all
> > ready to be Fiona. Katrina told someone was it was, and the person
> > she told misheard it as Theona. Kirk and I decided we liked Theona
> > better, and there you are.
> >
> > Michelle
> > Flutist
> >

> Fiona was the first name we had picked actually, how weird :) No one liked
> it, and after hearing tons of negative comments we decided to choose
> something else. I like Theona better actually too, its soooo pretty!
>
> Kari

I really like Fiona for my 3rd dd until the two oldest went on a Shrek trip
where all they would watch was Shrek for days at a time.

Nina
July 11th 03, 01:15 AM
"Kari" > wrote in message

> "Nina" > wrote in message
> t...
> >
> > "Kari" > wrote
> > >
> > > Ya know what's strange? I have a Noah and our boy name pick is Gabriel
> and
> > > we aren't even Christian. :)
> >
> > Neither were Noah and Gabriel! :)
> >
> Really? Interesting. Goes to show how little *I* know.
> Thanks for posting that, now I can say that when someone says anything to
us
> about it :)
>
> Kari

lol
I hope I am not missing any sarcasm here. But yeah, Gabriel was/is an angel
and Noah was ,uh not sure what he was.... Jews, Christians and Muslims use
the name Gabriel, not sure about Muslims and Noah.

Nina
July 11th 03, 01:19 AM
"Ali's Daddie" > wrote> After that it became a joke
finding something silly to go with Lee. Another
> favorite silly name was Lola Lee! (I would never have chosen that name for
> real though)

Knew a guy named Mitchell Lee, for whatever reason he was referred to ONLY
as Mitchell Lee, never Mitchell.

> After we found out the baby was a girl, we instantly decided on Matthew
for
> a boy (In memory of Matthew Shepherd, someone who has touched many gay
mens
> lives), and toyed around with girls names for months. Alegra was
originally
> going to be spelled Alegrah until I was told that it looked "ghetto"
> (whatever that means)
That means it looks like something lower class black parents would use, a
made up name OR the name of a popular product that seems upscale, turned
into a baby name. Porsha, Mercedes (both are real names, but become Ghetto
when spelled weird), Alize, Crystahl (like the drink), Alexus (alexis+
lexus).

Denise
July 11th 03, 01:28 AM
"Nina" > wrote in message
t...

> "Ali's Daddie" > wrote> After that it became a
joke
> finding something silly to go with Lee. Another
> > favorite silly name was Lola Lee! (I would never have chosen that name
for
> > real though)
> >
> Knew a guy named Mitchell Lee, for whatever reason he was referred to ONLY
> as Mitchell Lee, never Mitchell.
>
> > After we found out the baby was a girl, we instantly decided on Matthew
> for
> > a boy (In memory of Matthew Shepherd, someone who has touched many gay
> mens
> > lives), and toyed around with girls names for months. Alegra was
> originally
> > going to be spelled Alegrah until I was told that it looked "ghetto"
> > (whatever that means)
> That means it looks like something lower class black parents would use,

I know plenty of "ghetto" people who are neither black or lower class. As a
matter of fact, my neighbor and I refer to the lady down the road as "ghetto
fabulous." She drives a Lexus with dubs and never bothers brushing her hair
or wearing anything but sloppy sweats.

Kari
July 11th 03, 02:07 AM

> I vote Amelia Grace because Grace is my middle dd's middle name and Amelia
> is close to Emily, my oldest dd's name. :) I used to really like the
name
> Paige but I associate it with some not so pleasant bops from high school
> now. But Paige Noelle does sound good. I think Amelia sounds better with
> Kaylie and Noah though.

My sister said it sounds too trendy (Paige) and though I dont know any
Paige's, I can see how that may be true. We liked Emily a LOT but then with
the popularity of the name, I wasn't sure. I fell in love with Amelia since
it is so similar to Emily. I love Grace as well, and would probably be using
it for the first name but it doesn't flow well with our last name.

Kari

Shelly
July 11th 03, 02:40 AM
my hubby's name is Jamie-Lee yes that is his first full name.. I love it..

--

Shelly
Mommy to Zachariah
"Nina" > wrote in message
t...

> "Ali's Daddie" > wrote> After that it became a
joke
> finding something silly to go with Lee. Another
> > favorite silly name was Lola Lee! (I would never have chosen that name
for
> > real though)
> >
> Knew a guy named Mitchell Lee, for whatever reason he was referred to ONLY
> as Mitchell Lee, never Mitchell.
>
> > After we found out the baby was a girl, we instantly decided on Matthew
> for
> > a boy (In memory of Matthew Shepherd, someone who has touched many gay
> mens
> > lives), and toyed around with girls names for months. Alegra was
> originally
> > going to be spelled Alegrah until I was told that it looked "ghetto"
> > (whatever that means)
> That means it looks like something lower class black parents would use, a
> made up name OR the name of a popular product that seems upscale, turned
> into a baby name. Porsha, Mercedes (both are real names, but become Ghetto
> when spelled weird), Alize, Crystahl (like the drink), Alexus (alexis+
> lexus).

Amy M.
July 11th 03, 02:44 AM
I vote for Paige Noelle! :)
--
Amy~
Tre' (6/92)

Em
July 11th 03, 03:35 AM
"Ali's Daddie" > wrote in message
<snip>
> My favorite name though was Jacinda. I have loved the name for years, but
> made the mistake of naming a pet that several years ago, and thought the
> baby would be traumatized if we named her after a pomeranian lol.
>
> I'll stop now, but choosing names was one of my favorite things to do :-D

My first name is the same as my mom's childhood terrier. She swears that
naming me the same thing had *nothing* do to with the dog and that she just
liked the name and it was one that my dad would *finally* agree on. Same
with my sister whose first name is the same as another one of those
childhood terriers. Mom says it is totally unrelated & she didn't even think
about it when she picked the names! Hmm...

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Em
July 11th 03, 03:37 AM
"Kari" > wrote in message
> We have our boy name picked but we are undecided on a girl name. We have
our
> top 2 choices and we cannot seem to pick one over the other. We've
basically
> decided to wait and see what she looks like (if she turns out to be a she)
> and go from there. But since Cheryl just started a name poll, I thought
you
> guys could at least give an opinion.
>
> Ameila Grace OR Paige Noelle

I like Amelia Grace. I also like Amelia Noelle, if you wanted to mix them up
(I think it was Les that mentioned that already).

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Nina
July 11th 03, 04:03 AM
"Denise" > wrote Alegra was
> > originally
> > > going to be spelled Alegrah until I was told that it looked "ghetto"
> > > (whatever that means)
> > That means it looks like something lower class black parents would use,
>
> I know plenty of "ghetto" people who are neither black or lower class.

So do I. I know plenty of black people who are neither ghetto or lower
class.
'But when the term "ghetto name" is used, it generally refers to African
American naming practices, particularly those of the lower classes. Black
naming practices have been studied for decades, its no secret that African
American parents name their children differently and sometimes quite
distinctly from non-black Americans. Blacks in inner cities and in lower
socio-economic levels name their kids very differently from whites in the
same socio-ecomic level and also other blacks. "Ghetto names" generally
refers to the names of this particular group of people. Whether thats right
or wrong, is a differnt debate.
Nina

Nina
July 11th 03, 04:18 AM
"Denise" > wrote
> > That means it looks like something lower class black parents would use,
>
> I know plenty of "ghetto" people who are neither black or lower class.

The problem is that certain names carry the stigma of being black names,
some of being "lower class". "Ghetto names" usually refers to names that
indicate both blackness and socio-economic status. A link that briefly
mentions the link between the naming practices and the socieconmic status of
the black person who carries it"

"Afrocentric names became the new trend in low-income black culture."
(http://economics.uchicago.edu/download/blacknames1_applications.pdf)

Whether you think its right, the stigma of having a ghetto name is hard to
overcome.

http://www.irs.princeton.edu/krueger/names2.htm

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/134615634_name15.html

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/02/12/Columns/Names_of_pride_or_lab.shtml

Kara H
July 11th 03, 04:33 AM
I vote Amelia Grace. Ever since I saw that Andrea had an Amelia, the name
has grown on me. Now, I like it a *lot* and especially in combination with
Grace. I am not a fan of the name Noelle but I'm not sure why. Just one of
those things I can't explain I guess.

Good luck! Just remember to choose from the heart!

-Kara

Denise
July 11th 03, 06:44 AM
"Kari" > wrote in

> My sister said it sounds too trendy (Paige) and though I dont know any
> Paige's, I can see how that may be true. We liked Emily a LOT but then
with
> the popularity of the name, I wasn't sure. I fell in love with Amelia
since
> it is so similar to Emily. I love Grace as well, and would probably be
using
> it for the first name but it doesn't flow well with our last name.

Yeah, I really wanted my middle dd's first name to be Grace (mostly so I
could call her Gracie), but I couldn't think of a middle name that made
Grace Anderson sound good.
When I named Emily, I was the first of my crowd to be having kids so I
wasn't around babies or toddlers or anything. I had NO idea how popular
Emily was and thought I was being creative naming her after Emily
Dickinson.. I've since moved on to having an Alissa and a Katie, all names
on the most popular list. It'd be hard for me to choose something eccentric
now, but I'm toying with Rhiannon or Sioban for the new baby.

Plissken
July 11th 03, 07:08 AM
I love Paige Noelle! Paige was on my list as well but DH nixed it :-(

Nadene

Catherine C.
July 11th 03, 07:14 AM
"Kari" > wrote in message >...
> We have our boy name picked but we are undecided on a girl name. We have our
> top 2 choices and we cannot seem to pick one over the other. We've basically
> decided to wait and see what she looks like (if she turns out to be a she)
> and go from there. But since Cheryl just started a name poll, I thought you
> guys could at least give an opinion.
>
> Ameila Grace OR Paige Noelle
>
> I think its definately going to be between those top 2 but I've heard so
> many pretty names from family and friends that its gotten terribly hard to
> pick and I keep rethinking and changing my mind! Im glad we picked a boy
> name before I was even pregnant, (he however, does not have a middle name
> picked yet :)
>
> Kari
> mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due Sept/Oct

I also vote for Paige Noelle :-)

Catherine C.
grandmother to Brendan--Sept. 22, 2002

andrea
July 11th 03, 08:25 AM
"> "Kari" wrote in message

> > We have our boy name picked but we are undecided on a girl name. We have
our
> > top 2 choices and we cannot seem to pick one over the other. We've
basically
> > decided to wait and see what she looks like (if she turns out to be a
she)
> > and go from there. But since Cheryl just started a name poll, I thought
you
> > guys could at least give an opinion.
> >
> > Ameila Grace OR Paige Noelle
>> >
> > Kari
> > mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due Sept/Oct

I vote Amelia Grace :O)

I have 5 kids and they all have a variation, some are common names like
Peter, Joseph and Ellie, then there are the two less common Alden and
Kamron.
My mom told me she was in too much pain to give me a middle name! I am the
eldest of 5 and all the others got a middle name! not fair :o( Mind you, I
am not sure it would be easy to find a middle name that went with Andrea.

--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 4

Elly
July 11th 03, 11:48 AM
"Ali's Daddie" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> BTDT! I got so tired of hearing "but thats a pill". But ya know? Now that
> she is here, I cannot imagine EVER having called her anything else :-)
>
> And for those who do not like the name, her nickname is Ali (pronounced
> Alley) so everyone seems happy.

I just have to say, I love the way how you combined her first and second
name into her nickname - that's so pretty :-)

Elly
27 weeks + 4 days
EDD October 6th

Cheryl
July 11th 03, 12:13 PM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:07:32 GMT, "Kari" >
wrote:

>We have our boy name picked but we are undecided on a girl name. We have our
>top 2 choices and we cannot seem to pick one over the other. We've basically
>decided to wait and see what she looks like (if she turns out to be a she)
>and go from there. But since Cheryl just started a name poll, I thought you
>guys could at least give an opinion.
>
>Ameila Grace OR Paige Noelle
>
>I think its definately going to be between those top 2 but I've heard so
>many pretty names from family and friends that its gotten terribly hard to
>pick and I keep rethinking and changing my mind! Im glad we picked a boy
>name before I was even pregnant, (he however, does not have a middle name
>picked yet :)

Amelia has become a very popular name in Australia. It was Emma,
then Emily, then everyone knew someone with a little girl named
Emily so they moved on to Amelia. Now the new trend is for Mia. I
like both names though.

--
Cheryl

DS#1 (Mar 99), DS#2 (Oct 00)
DD born 30 Jul 02

Kari
July 11th 03, 08:46 PM
> > Everyone keeps telling me this is a girl
> > because we can't pick a name :)
>
> Oh, then that means we are having a girl, too ;-)

Of course! We'll be the 2 with girls because everyone else due when we are
know they are having boys if Im not mistaken, and aren't we the only 2 who
did not find out? :)

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due Sept/Oct

Kari
July 12th 03, 03:10 AM

> > Of course! We'll be the 2 with girls because everyone else due when we
are
> > know they are having boys if Im not mistaken, and aren't we the only 2
who
> > did not find out? :)
>
> LOL!
> Will let you know after delivery if you were right - make sure you do the
> same, deal? ;-)
>
> Elly

Absolutely! I'll probably have my dh post to the group as soon as he gets
home after the baby arrives...12 more weeks!!! Can't wait!

Kari

Amy M.
July 13th 03, 04:50 PM
>From: "Kara H"

>I vote Amelia Grace. Ever since I saw that Andrea had an Amelia, the name
>has grown on me. Now, I like it a *lot* and especially in combination with
>Grace.

It's funny you mention this. Doesn't Andrea have a Paige, a Grace, and an
Amelia? :)
--
Amy~
Tre' (6/92)

==Daye==
July 13th 03, 10:31 PM
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:58:29 GMT, lynn > wrote:

>Isn't Noelle usually used for Christmas babies?

Not necessarily. I know a Noelle who was born in August.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au